Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Living In A Moment

Dead Really Isn't Dead Unless You See The Body

by DBZVegeta 1 review

2nd story in the Travelin' Soldier Trilogy. Kagome has to try to live after she loses the one she loves. Is he really dead and can she continue to live on?

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Romance - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome, Miroku, Sango, Sesshoumaru - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-11-13 - Updated: 2006-11-14 - 1727 words

0Unrated
Fic title: Living In A Moment
Penname: DBZVegeta
Summary: 2nd story in the Travelin' Soldier Trilogy. Kagome has to try to live after she loses the one she loves. Is he really dead and can she continue to live on?
Pairing: Kagome/Inuyasha
Rating: R
# of Chapters: 2/6
Category: Angst/Romance
Disclaimer: I do not own or claim to own Inuyasha.


Living In A Moment


~~~~~
Chapter 2 - Dead Really Isn't Dead Until You See The Body
~~~~~

General Sesshoumaru paced back in forth in his plush office inside the Pentagon. It had nearly been a year since he had been notified of Inuyasha's death and he whe was still unsettled about the matter. After returning from his inspection tour of the battle area where Inuyasha was supposed to have been killed, he had ordered an extensive search of the area. He hadn't cared whether or not they had found bones or whatever, he wanted proof that Inuyasha was dead. Burnt and twisted dog tags did not make someone dead. Especially not a demon. 'Well, make that half-demon,' he thought sarcastically.

He wasn't sure why he was still pursuing this, he hadn't really care about his half-brother that much. 'I think it has to do with that girl, Kagome,' he mused, his mind drifting back to the scene with her six months ago.


~~ Flashback ~~

"General, you have a call on line two." came his secretary's voice through the intercom. Reaching out he picked up the phone.

"General Sesshoumaru speaking." he replied.

"General, hi. . . This is Mrs. Higurashi, you remember Kagome's mother." came the sweet chirpy voice.

"Yes, I remember. What can I do for you?" he asked, suppressing his annoyance with the woman. She only called every month to give him status reports on Kagome, and by now he easily recognized her irritating voice.

"Well, Kagome is due to graduate from high school in two weeks and I wanted to invite you to her graduation. The family will be having a small get-together afterwards and we would love for you to come to both.s. Hs. Higurashi babbled excitedly. "She has made such progress and I know that she would adore for you to be there."

He sighed, rolling his eyes, 'How did I ever get involved with this family, oh yeah that idiot brother of mine,' he thought as he reached for his calendar. "What day will the graduation be?" he said as he flipped the calendar forward two weeks.

"Oh, its on May 5 at 2:30 pm. So will you be able to make it?" she chattered quickly. He could almost visualize her bouncing all over the kitchen. He had seen it the very few times that he had been to their house. The woman acted as if she was on a permanent sugar high. Quickly scanning his schedule he found that it was free. Sighing heavily, he didn't have a plausible excuse for getting out of it.

"Yes, I can be there." he said, wincing at the shriek that came echoing though the phone.

"Mama, who are you screaming at," he heard in the background before the voice came onto the phone, "Hello, this is Kagome Higurashi can I help you?" the young girl's voice said gently over the excited shrieking in the background, which was beginning fade slightly.

"Kagome, its Sesshoumaru. Your mother called to invite me to your graduation and it looks like I can make it," he replied blandly.

"Oh, Sesshoumaru. It's nice to hear from you, I am glad that you can come. It would be nice to have someone who is sane here that night," Kagome chuckled sadly. "I suppose we have taken enough of your valuable time up then, we will see you on the 5th. Goodbye."

"Goodbye Kagome," Sesshoumaru said quietly as he hung up the phone staring at it pensively before turning back to his paperwork.

Two weeks passed quickly and Sesshoumaru found himself dressed again in full regalia sitting with the Higurashi family at Kagome's graduation. He was worried about Kagome the moment he saw her. The last time he had seen her had been four months ago, when he had returned to help her mother to get her to go back to school.

Looking at her closely he frowned, even with the loose graduation gown she was wearing, he could tell that she had lost significant weight, and if from any indications, the dark patches under her eyes told him she wasn't sleeping well either.

Kagome spotted Sesshoumaru sitting with her family, it wasn't hard to miss him with the uniform and the long silver hair. She tired to smile brightly at him, but she knew that it didn't reach her eyes. She sighed and turned back to the commencement ceremony, glad that it was almost over. Feeling a hand grip hers, she turned to smile wanly at Sango, who was seated next to her. Sango grinned back, nodding understandingly before releasing her hand to walk across the stage to get her diploma.

Kagome followed and shook hands with the principle, who murmured words of congratulations and handed her the paper. She smiled back and walked off the stage to join the rest of her class. Watching as the others laughed and jumped up and down, congratulating each other, she slipped away from the group to join her family.

"Kagome, I am so proud of you," Mrs. Higurashi chirped as she bounced excitedly around Kagome. Sesshoumaru sighed, her mother was enough to wear out a healthy person, let alone someone still obviously grieving. Striding quickly over to Kagome, he took her hand in his and pulled her away from her family.

"I am going to drive Kagome back to the shrine for the party. We will see you there later," he said, and turned pulling Kagome away from her startled family.

"Thank you," came her soft whisper. Looking down, he saw her sadly smiling up at him, "I know that they mean well, but they just don't understand sometimes."

He opened the door to his rental and let her seat herself before closing it and striding around to the other side to slide behind the driver's wheel. Starting the ignition, he turned to her "Is there anyplace you would like to go before I take you back to the shrine for the party." He watched as her eyes closed and her bottom lip trembled before she replied to him.

"Yes, drive us over to the bus terminal, there is someplace I would like to show you."

He nodded and started the car, driving carefully through the crowds of graduates and families. It only took a few minutes before they had arrived and he parked the car. Sliding around the front bumper, he opened her door and held out his hand to her. She looked up at him and took his hand gratefully. During the drive she had shed the graduation gown and was dressed in blue jeans and a short-sleeve tee shirt. She smiled up at him again as she released his hand and turned to walk around the building, going down the small dirt trail into the woods.

He quickly slipped his jacket off and tossed it in the back seat, before following her. Reaching up, as he walked, he pulled and loosened his tie and undid the top two buttons of his shirt. Looking around the area, it suddenly seemed familiar to him. When they emerged from the trees, next to a small pier at the end of the lake, abruptly it all made sense. This was the forest that he and Inuyasha had grown up in and where they had played as small children, when they still had like each other. His father and Inuyasha's mother would come here to watch the sunsets together. He was startled out of his revelry by Kagome's voice.

"This is the last place we were together, before Inuyasha left for boot camp. I had wanted to walk him back to the bus, but he wouldn't let me. He said that he wanted to remember me with the moonlight shining in my eyes." her voice began to crack as she whispered softly.

"Kagome, it is a special place that we all love. Inuyasha wanted to remember you that way. He loved you and you mustn't give up on life because he is gone." he said as he sat down next to her on the pier. Watching as she rocked back and forth, her tears spilling wildly down her checks, he sighed heavily, knowing that he had to help her. Reaching out he pulled her gently into his arms and let her once again cry against his shoulder, while stoking her hair softly.

"Kagome, you must go on with your life. You cannot continue to do this to yourself. I am not telling you to forget him, but you must get on with living. You are hurting not only yourself, but his memory of you," he said rocking her gently.

She looked up into his concerned face, thankful that he had come today. She wasn't sure if she could have faced it alone. "Thank you Sesshoumaru. I understand, but it is just so hard."

"Please try, Kagome," he said. "At least for Inuyasha, he wouldn't have wanted you to become like this."

"I will try. I suppose that we should get back for the party, before everyone wonders where I ran off to again," Kagome tried to tease, but the smile didn't reach her eyes again, they looked so forlorn.

~~ End Flashback ~~


Sesshoumaru shook his head as he tried to get those sad eyes out of his head. Picking up the report on his desk he looked at it trying to decide if he wanted to call her and give her hope or let her try to continue on without him saying anything. Dropping the report back onto his desk, he reached for his jacket and keys, before storming out of his office.

The report he had been looking at lay face up on his desk. A small picture of a young man with a long silver braid draped across his chest and a cheesy grin firmly in-place adorned the upper left hand corner of the report. Stamped across the report and one corner of the picture in large bold red ink were the following letters.

M.I.A. (Missing In Action)

~~~~~

~TBC~
Sign up to rate and review this story