Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Cloak and Dagger

Chapter Four

by LOVELA 5 reviews

Coffee Shops and McDonald's

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Published: 2006-11-20 - Updated: 2006-11-21 - 4531 words

2Original
"Hello?" Collette answered the phone.

Silence.

"Hello?" Collette asked again sounding more than just annoyed.

"CoCo?" she heard whimpered on the other end.

"Morgan?" Collette stood up from her couch in fear.

"CoCo," she heard her sister cry.

"Oh my God. Morgan, where are you? Are you ok?" Collette asked rushing towards her purse to go get her sister.

"CoCo," she heard her cry again.

Why was she only saying her name? Why wasn't she answering Collette's question?

"Morgan, please. You need to tell me where you are," Collette insisted.

Silence.

"Morgan! Are you there?" Collette asked sounding frantic.

"I'm sorry," she heard a whisper and the line going dead.


Collette shot up in bed opening her eyes and breathing deeply. She quickly looked next to her and noticed that Jackson wasn't lying next to her anymore. She put her hand up to her beating heart and looked over at her clock. It read 9:00 a.m. She then heard the distant sounds of cartoons being watched in the living room.

Collette sat in bed trying to control her breathing. It had been at least a week since she had her last nightmare. She was grateful that they were becoming further and fewer between because she was sure one of these days her heart was going to leap from her chest. Her dreams were so real. She could swear that she just had her sister on the phone.

She slowly got out of bed and wandered towards the living room where Jackson sat on the floor with his head laying on Rooger's stomach.

"Morning Jackson," Collette said going into the kitchen in order to get her coffee fix.

"Hi," he said unenthusiastically paying more attention to the TV.

"Did you sleep alright last night?" she asked him taking down a coffee mug from the cupboard.

"Mmm hmm," he mumbled.

Collette just shook her head and continued to make her coffee. The boy was too into his cartoons to be bothered at the moment.

-----

Patrick woke up the next morning not feeling any better about the events that had occurred the night before. Of course it didn't help that he had a dream about her. It also didn't help that the dream was of them kissing.

Patrick put his hand up to his lips due to the dream still leaving the impression of her lips on his.

"Shit," he whispered and pulled himself out of bed.

He made his way into the living room to see Pete slouched on the couch watching cartoons.

"Morning," Patrick said walking into the kitchen.

There was a non-comprehendible mumble that came from Pete. Patrick took that as a hello.

"What are you watching?" Patrick asked looking at the cartoon characters on the TV.

All he received in response was another mumble that Patrick did not understand. Patrick just rolled his eyes and went to look for something edible in the kitchen. Pete was stuck at age seven.

Patrick poured himself a bowl of cereal and sat down on the couch next to Pete, who kept his eyes fixated on the television screen. Patrick tried to make sense of what was happening on the screen, but he just couldn't quite get a grasp on it. Suddenly a commercial came on and Pete looked over at Patrick confused.

"What?" Patrick asked with a mouth full of cereal.

"When did you get up?" he asked confused.

"You are something else, you know that?" Patrick responded not really in shock by his friend's mannerisms, but more in awe.

"So, how'd you sleep?" Pete asked keeping his eyes on the TV screen waiting for his cartoons to return.

"Fine," Patrick said shoving cereal into his mouth in hopes to avoid the subject of sleeping.

"You dreamt about her, huh?" Pete said fiddling with the remote.

"No," Patrick said not sounding very believable.

"Right," Pete said now looking at Patrick who had milk dripping down his chin.

"Fine, I had a dream about her. What do you want me to say? That we had hot, passionate sex and I woke up with a hard on," Patrick said irritated not by Pete, but by the fact that Pete can read him so well.

"If that's the truth, then yes," Pete said still waiting for his cartoons to return.

"Well, it's not," Patrick grumbled.

Pete, however, did not respond due to the fact that his cartoons had returned.

"It's not the truth! We didn't have sex!" Patrick yelled trying to get Pete's attention.

"Mmm hmm," Pete mumbled and turned the volume louder.

Patrick sat in shock for a moment, but shook himself out of his thoughts and went to get ready for the day.

"Who didn't you have sex with?" Joe asked coming out of his room looking as though he had just woken up.

"Never mind," Patrick said going to his room.

Joe just shrugged and joined Pete on the couch to watch cartoons.

-----

Collette sat at her usual spot in the coffee shop with her lap top in front of her. She had tried to do her paper work at work, but she kept getting interrupted, so she retreated to her haven.

It had been a week since she met Patrick, and she hasn't been able to get her mind off of him. What was wrong with her? She has never let someone take this effect over her before.

She had also been having nightmares every night that week, which was causing her to get little to no sleep. She knew why she was having the nightmares, but she tried to avoid thinking about it. They will just go away like they always did.

Collette stopped typing and took off her glasses. Her eyes hurt from lack of sleep and staring at the computer screen for over an hour. She looked at her watch and decided she would need to go get Jackson from daycare soon.

Collette started to rub the brim of her nose. She could feel a headache coming along.

"Are you alright?" She heard a man's voice causing her head to perk up.

"Patrick?" she asked looking up at the man in the hat with a concerned look on his face.

Collette was sure Patrick would never want to talk to her after the way she turned him down, let alone be concerned for her.

"Hey. This is strange. I'm not stalking you, I promise," he said laughing slightly. "I just wanted some coffee, and to get away from Pete," he admitted.

Collette smiled tiredly but didn't respond.

"Well, I can see you are busy. I didn't mean to bother you," he started feeling awkward from the silence.

"Actually, I could use a break. Do you want to sit down?" she asked interrupting him.

Patrick stopped talking and looked at her thoughtfully. One moment she wants to get as far away from him and the next she is asking him to sit down and join her.

"I understand if you need to get back to what ever you were doing. I just thought I'd offer," she said noticing that he wasn't responding to her previous request.

"No, I'd love to join you," he said sitting down.

Collette smiled and shut her laptop.

"Thanks, I needed the break," she said sighing heavily.

"Work?" he asked pointing to the computer that she had pushed aside.

"Paper work. The one thing I hate about my job," she said smiling down into her mug of coffee.

"It's a given. Every job needs its pros and cons," he said back paying close attention to his coffee as well.

Collette just nodded. She didn't realize just how tired she was until that moment.

"Patrick, I'm sorry about last weekend," she said quietly looking him in the eyes.

Patrick noticed that she almost looked ashamed of what she had done, and he suddenly felt bad for being so rude to her after she had turned him down.

"Hey, don't worry about it. We're adults here. It's no big deal," he said trying brush it off like his heart hadn't been trampled on.

"No, I feel like I owe you a better explanation," she said shaking her head and looking down at the table.

"You said it yourself; some things are better left unsaid. You don't owe me anything," Patrick said wanting to get off the subject.

He wanted to talk about anything other than being rejected at the moment.

"I'm so tired," she said mainly to herself.

It was then that Patrick noticed the large bags that were under her eyes. She did look tired, but he had a feeling she was tired in more ways than one.

"Are you ok?" Patrick asked reaching across the table and lightly touching her arm.

"I'm sorry. I'm fine. I just got caught up in my own drama for a moment," she said slightly looking at her watch.

"Shit!" she yelled causing Patrick to jump back slightly and an elderly couple to look their way with a disapproving faces.

"What?" Patrick asked leaning back in his chair.

"I'm late! He's going to kill me," she said picking up her stuff and throwing it in her bag.

Patrick wasn't sure if he had heard her correctly. Did she just say that he's going to kill her? Who is he?

"Well, can I give you a ride somewhere?" he asked standing up as she did.

"No, no. I've got my car," she said searching her pockets for her keys.

Patrick just stood back as she frantically scribbled something on a napkin.

"Here," she said thrusting the napkin at him.

He looked at the writing and then back up at her confused.

"It's a reminder. Meet me here on Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. I have to go. Sorry," she said rushing out of the café like a tornado.

Patrick watched as she scampered to her car and pull away. He then looked back down at the napkin that had the date and time scribbled on it.

Well, it wasn't exactly the number he was hoping for, but it would have to do for now.

-----

Collette ran up to the daycare provider's house. Jackson hated it when she was late. Due to their past, he constantly worried that something had happened to her if she showed up late.

She burst through the door to see Jackson standing there with his shoes on and his arms folded across his chest.

"Sorry," she said kneeling down to give him a hug.

He just kept his stance and stared at her; his accusing blue eyes gazing into hers.

"I'm sorry," she said again.

"It's fine," he said nonchalantly and walked out the door to the car.

"I tried to tell him that you had a good excuse as to why you were late," Jan, the daycare provider, had said shrugging her shoulders.

"Thanks. Sorry about that," Collette said standing up fully and walking out the door.

Jackson was already sitting in the back seat of the Explorer waiting for her to buckle him up safely in his seat. He was mad. He definitely got that trait from his mother.

-----

Patrick walked back to the studio with a grin on his face.

"What's the story?" Pete asked from his position on the couch with a notebook and pencil in hand.

"Nothing," Patrick said sitting down next to him unable to get rid of the grin on his face.

"Bull shit," Pete said back staring at Patrick.

"I ran into her at the coffee shop," Patrick said as if it were no big deal.

"No way," Pete said not believing his friend.

"Way," Patrick said sounding like Wayne from Wayne's World.

"She must think you are some creep following her around LA," Pete said shaking his head and doodling in his notebook.

"She doesn't think that," Patrick said smiling still.

"What happened?" Pete asked looking up now.

"She told me to meet her at the shop on Wednesday at two," he stated.

"Really. Well, there ya go Patty-cakes," Pete said hitting Patrick slightly on the arm.

Patrick just glanced at Pete and stood up to work some more on their record ignoring the fact that he had called him by one of the many hated nicknames that Pete had given him.

-----

Jackson sulked in his room until Collette called him for dinner.

"I said I was sorry, Jacks. What do you want from me?" she asked as he ate his dinner in silence.

"You promised me that you would never be late," he said quietly.

"I know, but sometimes I get late. It was an accident," she said to him.

She saw him take a deep breath.

"I know. I was just scared. I don't like feeling scared," he said pushing his food from side to side.

"Me either. That's why I am going to try to not be late any more, but I can't promise that it won't happen again," Collette said amazed by this kid sitting in front of her.

He just nodded his head and continued to eat.

"Hey, want to watch Lilo and Stitch?" Collette asked trying to lighten the mood.

Lilo and Stitch was her and Jackson's favorite Disney movie. Stitch reminded her of the boys that she worked with and Jackson thought Stitch was well, a stitch.

"Ok," he said lightly and smiling up at her.

Collette smiled back. She swore his smile could cure world hunger. It sure did cure all her ailments.

"Ok, go get the movie set up. I'll clear our plates," Collette said picking up her plate.

Jackson just jumped off his chair and ran into the living room.

------

Patrick sat in the café with his own laptop in front of him. Pete was pestering him so much about this pseudo date, that he left an hour early to get away from him and to work on his own projects.

"Well, it seems that great minds think alike," Collette said standing in front of Patrick with her own laptop swung over her shoulder.

Patrick looked up into her eyes and smiled. Collette smiled back and sat down.

"I just couldn't handle the little one today," Patrick said closing his laptop.

"Pete?" Collette asked.

She didn't know the boys that well, but she kind of picked up that Pete was the kid at heart in the group due to some of Patrick's comments.

"Bingo," he said laughing slightly.

"Well, you should try having 10 of them running a muck by your office," she said taking a deep breath.

"Sometimes I feel like there are 10 Pete's running a muck in the studio. I don't quite know where the spurts of energy come from, but when they do, they become unbearable," Patrick said shaking his head in disbelief.

"Wow, 10 Pete's. Sounds scary," she said laughing trying to picture it.

"Very. Can I get you some coffee," Patrick asked taking notice that she hadn't ordered anything yet.

"I can get it. I just wanted to set my stuff down," Collette said reaching for her purse.

"No, I insist," he said standing up.

"Ok, I'll have a mocha with a mint shot in it then," she said shrugging.

"Coming right up," he said in good spirits.

Collette relaxed a little in her seat as Patrick went up to the counter to order her drink. She debated all morning whether or not she was actually going to go through with meeting him, but as soon as she saw that smile on his face she knew she made the right decision.

She didn't really know why she was doing this, however. She still felt adamant that she could not get into a relationship at this point in her life, but Patrick was someone who she felt so comfortable talking with. It was nice to have an adult conversation with someone other than people she works with.

"Here ya go," Patrick said setting the mocha in front of Collette causing her to break out of her thoughts.

"Thank you," she said putting it in her hands and smelling it.

She loved the smell of coffee. She looked up and noticed Patrick giving her an odd glance from above his glasses.

"What?" she asked.

"You could be in a commercial for Folgers Coffee," he said still giving her that goofy look.

Collette just stared at him for a moment before she burst out laughing. She hadn't thought about it before, but she totally did that cliché coffee smell.

Patrick's face lit up when he heard her laugh again.

"I have to tell you this, but I love your laugh," he said in admiration.

"No you don't. It's loud and annoying," she said stifling her laugh to a giggle.

"It's not annoying and the fact that it's loud shows that you aren't afraid to laugh and be care free," he pointed out. "It's refreshing," he added.

"You think?" she asked blushing now.

"Yeah. It's the first thing I noticed about you when you were at that fair thing," he said taking a sip of his coffee.

Patrick wasn't sure what it was about this girl that caused him to talk so much, but he liked it. It was almost like witch craft.

"That's embarrassing. You probably were all the way across that fair and heard me laughing," she said looking down.

"No, it was nice," he said simply.

Collette looked up into Patrick's eyes and smiled at him. What was it about this boy that caused her to melt every time she made eye-contact with him?

-----

"So you have to tell me what you are up to," Wren said coming into Collette's office with determination written all over her face.

"Like at this very moment?" Collette asked turning from her computer.

"No, I mean like where do you go every Wednesday afternoon for the past three weeks," Wren said sitting in one of the chairs that Collette had for the boys to sit in.

"I told you where I go. I go get coffee and do my paper work," Collette said casually.

"Well, that's crap. You've had this smirk on your face that I've never seen before, so either you are in love with someone that works at the coffee shop or you've had sex," Wren whispered the last part being that Collette's door was propped open and her office was on the unit floor.

"Neither actually," Collette said smiling at her friend.

"Collette, you have to tell me. I'm dying here, girl," Wren said whining.

"Fine, but you can't tell anybody, ok," Collette said breaking down.

"Promise," Wren said holding her hand in the air.

"I've been meeting Patrick at the coffee shop every Wednesday," Collette said leaning in closely to Wren, so she wouldn't have to say it so loud.

"Shut Up!" Wren yelled causing a boy who was walking by to stop and look in the office briefly, but continue on his way.

"Wren, quiet," Collette scolded.

"Sorry, but wow. Are you guys dating?" she asked in a girly squeal.

"No. We are just friends enjoying one another's company, and that is how it is going to stay, so keep you little butt out of it," Collette said pointing a finger at Wren.

"Oh no way, honey. I've seen that look on your face. You are falling for him," Wren said shaking her head in an all knowing fashion.

"Wren, stop it. I'm enjoying his company. That's it," Collette said sternly.

"I think you're trying to convince yourself more than me," Wren said in a sing song way as she got up to leave the room.

"I'm not listening," Collette turned back to her computer and mimicked Wren's voice tone.

She just heard Wren's laugh as she walked out of her office and into the hallway. Collette sat at her computer smiling to herself.

She loved the conversations that she and Patrick had when they got together. They talked about movies that they currently saw to the classic ones they couldn't get enough of. They shared their music interests, and Patrick tried to convert her into an Elvis Costello fan, unsuccessfully. They complained to each other about the stresses of work. Even though they each shared an undying love for their work, there still was the fact that they lead stressful lives.

Collette hadn't been this happy since before she left for California. It was nice to finally get her lingering worries to subside for the two hours that she met Patrick in that coffee shop once a week.

-----

"Alright, it's been three weeks. Tell me about her," Pete said walking up to Patrick who was daydreaming in the kitchen.

"What?" Patrick asked breaking out of his thoughts.

"I wanna know what about her makes you like this," Pete said sitting at the breakfast bar.

"I don't know. Everything," Patrick said not being able to put her into words.

"Everything? You sound smitten," Pete said sounding slightly shocked.

"I'm not smitten. We are just friends," Patrick said standing up straight to reinforce the 'just friends' part of his statement.

"Mmm hmm. Is this by her terms or yours?" Pete asked tilting his head slightly.

Patrick slouched lightly wondering how in the hell he did it.

"Hers," he said quietly.

"I knew it. Patrick's a smitten kitten," Pete said bouncing a little at his rhyme.

"You suck," Patrick said walking away form Pete.

Pete just burst out laughing and Patrick couldn't help but think of her. That's all he ever did, he thought about her.

Collette tried to explain in further detail the reasons why they had to stay just friends, but Patrick didn't really understand. She told him that she had just moved to California and that she was working on getting settled into her life there. She also told him that by the time she would be settled, he would more than likely be long gone.

Patrick couldn't argue with that. They were getting ready to release a record in the early part of the year, and then a tour would be the next step. So, Patrick just opted for the 'just friends' situation for the time being. At least he got to enjoy her company.

"Dude! I want McDonald's!" Patrick heard Pete roar from the kitchen.

-----

"Jackson, are you about ready to go?" Collette asked the little boy as he played in the pool of plastic balls.

"Fifteen more minutes, CoCo," he giggled as he sunk deeper and deeper into the pool.

Collette just rolled her eyes at the boy.

"Ten," she said sitting back down in the uncomfortable plastic chair and kept a close eye on the boy.

"Collette?" she heard her name being called.

She looked up and saw Patrick walking towards her with a surprised expression on his face.

"Patrick, what are you doing here?" she asked standing up in a nervous fashion.

"Pete wanted food," Patrick said pointing to Pete who went straight to the counter and was already ordering his food. "I obviously don't need this stuff," he said patting his stomach.

"Stop that. You look fine," she said rolling her eyes.

Yup, Jackson definitely got the rolling eyes thing from her. Oh no, Jackson. Collette suddenly tensed up. She never told Patrick about Jackson.

"What are you doing here?" he asked shocked that McDonald's would be a restaurant of choice for her.

"Well, I, um," Collette stumbled over her words.

"I love the balls!" Jackson yelled running up to Collette and hugging her legs tightly.

Patrick jumped back slightly and looked at the little blonde boy who attached himself lovingly to Collette's legs. He looked as though he was seeing an alien attack her.

"He loves the balls," Collette offered what sounded more like a question as to why she was at McDonald's.

Patrick was still in shock. He didn't quite know what to think.

"Hey Patty-Cakes, you going to eat or what? Hey, Collette. Hey!" Pete said walking up to Patrick with a full tray first noticing Collette and then noticing Jackson.

Collette wanted to laugh at their reactions, but felt the time wasn't exactly right. I mean, Jackson was only a child. He was nothing to be afraid of.

"Is he yours?" Patrick asked quietly.

"He's mine," Collette said patting him on his head.

Patrick looked at Collette and then down at Jackson. Pete couldn't stand the silence, so he set his food on the table and bent down to Jackson's level.

"Hey there, buddy. What's your name?" he asked the blonde hair, blue eyed boy.

"Jackson," he said shyly trying to hide behind Collette's legs.

"I'm Pete. Put 'er there," Pete said holding his hand out for Jackson to slap it.

Jackson looked at Pete's hand and then up to Collette as if to ask for permission to slap his hand.

"Go ahead," Collette nodded down at the boy.

Jackson got a huge smirk and slapped Pete's hand hard.

"Ow! You are a toughie. That's going to leave a mark," Pete joked with Jackson causing him to giggle loudly.

Patrick watched the interaction in awe. He still couldn't believe that after all of their conversations from the café, the fact that Collette had a child never came up. Suddenly pieces of the puzzle were starting to fit together. Collette is trying to protect her son.

Patrick looked over into Collette's eyes as she stared at him with a sad gaze as if trying to say she was sorry.

"Jackson, this is Patrick. Patrick, this is Jackson," Collette introduced the two not taking her eyes away from Patrick's.

She suddenly felt as though she had betrayed him by not telling him about Jackson. She should have told him.

"Hi, Patrick," Jackson said looking up at him. His r sounded slightly like a w and it made Patrick smile down on him.

"Hey there, Jackson. It's nice to meet you," he said putting his hand out for Jackson to shake.

Jackson looked at his hand and grabbed his pointer finger to shake it. He nodded and looked up at Patrick smiling. Patrick started laughing. This boy was adorable.

"Well, Jackson. We better get going," Collette said turning towards the table to grab her purse.

"Ah CoCo, can't we stay and play with Pete and Patrick?" Jackson asked in a whine like state.

"Not tonight, kiddo. Next time, okay?" she asked bending down to pick him up.

"Okay," he said sounding bummed.

"We'll see you boys later," Collette said giving Patrick one last sympathetic glance before she started to walk away.

"See ya later alligator!" Pete yelled with his mouth full of fries.

"After while crocodile," Jackson waved struggling with getting crocodile out of his four-year-old mouth.

Patrick just waved still in shock. He turned to look at Pete who was shoving mass quantities of food into his mouth.

"Whoa," Pete said simply and shrugging.

"Did he just call her CoCo?" Patrick asked suddenly confused.

AN: Hey Party People! Thanks for all the great reviews, espcially from the DoJ. You are ma peeps! I think it's time for you guys to fasten your seatbelts because the Drama-Rama is about to beging. Please keep all hands and feet inside the car at all times. Thank you and enjoy the ride.
Sign up to rate and review this story