Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Return of the Lost Son

The ANBU Barrier Specialists

by EC1231 0 reviews

Yondaime has a new plan to stop the rampaging Kenichi.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Yondaime - Warnings: [!!!] [?] [V] - Published: 2006-11-27 - Updated: 2006-11-27 - 872 words

1Exciting
Danzo stood at his post on top of Konoha's outer wall surveying the scene below him. Kenichi had earlier dispelled the combined genjutsu of the Umino couple and had now resumed his attack on Konoha. Although he didn't know them personally, he had heard that the married couple had created a unique genjutsu that combined their individual abilities into a super-genjutsu. Their illusion had worked surprisingly well, tricking Kenichi into running from the battlefield in order to catch whatever image the Umino couple had implanted into his head.

But now, having broken free of the illusion, Kenichi was facing the combined might of every able-bodied shinobi in Konoha. Danzo had not expected things to go this far, but the situation demanded it. No one in their right mind would have expected a lone fugitive to survive this long against the first wave of Konoha shinobi. As he watched the battle going on, it became obvious that even the full force of Konoha might not be enough to stop the Kyuubi. But as long as he was in command, he would throw everything that Konoha had at the Kyuubi if it meant ending its threat.

"Danzo, report the situation," Yondaime's voice called out from the radio attached to his shoulder.

"Our target is currently outside of Konoha's western wall, Lord Hokage. We are engaging him with the majority of our forces, but our casualties are mounting."

"Danzo," Yondaime started but trailed off, as if he was deep in thought about something, "Use the ANBU barrier specialists to hold him until I get there. Pull the rest of our shinobi back behind the city walls and start preparations to evacuate the village. I cannot risk the lives of anymore people for this battle. It is my duty as Lord Hokage to put an end to this menace myself."

Danzo frowned to himself. Although he relished this opportunity to show the true might of Konoha, the price being paid was proving to be too much. He called up his barrier specialist shinobi and relayed Yondaime's order. The shinobi, understanding their roles, disappeared into the battlefield. Pulling out his own flare gun, Danzo shot up a bright yellow flare that signaled the shinobi below him to pull back.

Kenichi was ready to give chase to the fleeing shinobi, when from the ground around him, 4 ANBU officers jumped out. As soon as they landed, they synchronized their hand signs and erected a blue, semi-transparent pyramid around Kenichi, trapping him inside. Kenichi, temporarily stunned by this turn of events, watched as his prey escaped. Angered by this, he rushed forward and struck the barrier with all his might. Upon touching the wall, though, a blast of electricity surged through his body, violently shocking him. The shock continued to grow more painful for the fugitive until, at last, it threw him from its clutches.

Kenichi sailed backwards several feet, landing in a heap. Electricity still crackled around his prone body causing his muscles to twitch involuntarily. Most people, shinobi or not, would have been killed by the shock, but the Kyuubi once again proved its resilience. Kenichi slowly rose from the ground, obviously feeling the effects of that incredible jolt because he took several seconds to steady himself once he was up. The barrier ninjas saw a change in Kenichi when he was finally on his feet. They could still feel his murderous intent, but it was coupled by a new emotion: pure rage. They couldn't see it on his face because he kept his head down, but they could see it in his chakra.

The orange aura that surrounded him started to throb like a beating heart and whip wildly like flames in the wind. The ANBU could see a new tail growing, bringing the total to 6. As the new tail was growing, Kenichi's legs also underwent a transformation. They became longer and bent like the back legs of a dog but with longer claws. The fur that covered his arms and legs deepened in color so that they were now a dark orange. The pressure of his chakra was greater than anything that the ANBU barrier specialists had ever felt, but the power of their barrier proved up to the task of containing it. The blue walls temporarily swelled out, but with extra focus, the ANBU reinforced their walls, pushing the growing chakra back in.

Kenichi's power continued to grow, and the ANBU realized that if something wasn't done to slow it down, their barrier would not be able to contain him. "Danzo-sama!" one of the ANBU called into his radio, "The fugitive is getting too strong for us to hold. We need more shinobi to reinforce the barrier."

Danzo understood the urgency of the request and immediately dispatched a second group of barrier specialists to support the group already holding Kenichi. The second group arrived in time to keep Kenichi trapped, but for how long, no one could say. The strain of maintaining the walls against the force of the chakra contained would soon overwhelm the ANBU, and Kenichi would be free. Whatever plan the elders of Konoha had for him would have to be implemented soon, if any of them expected to save their home.
Sign up to rate and review this story