Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Sophomore Slump...or Comeback of the Damn Century

tonight the headphones will deliver you the words that i can't say

by killxsmile 7 reviews

Songs have a way of getting to you, especially when your girlfriend is on the other side of the world. But with the press of a button, everything turns around. This is what happens when you watc...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-12-01 - Updated: 2006-12-01 - 1455 words

0Unrated
Author's Note: Extra special update since it's a SNOW DAY!

Thanks to the following people for making me smile:
FrostedGlass
rawrlittledino
PiecesInMe
sing4me09
x-xJafax-x
moocow
pixied_secrets


Totally off the subject: Any Chicagoans going to the AAR concert on the 19th?

Anyways, hope this chapter's sweet enough for you.

c h a p t e r EIGHTEEN
{ tonight the headphones will deliver you the words that i can't say

*
Patrick's POV

"C'mon Pete, stop being so mopey."

Ever since Emi left, he's been...off. Not so far gone as emo, but he was stuck in a lethargic state since leaving the airport.

"Christmas is next week, cheer up."
"I know...It's-I just miss her. Since we started dating we haven't been apart for more than a week, so it's just...weird."
"Emi withdrawals. I've been there...Just try to get your mind off it." he said, offering me a reassuring smile. "I'm going to Andy's for practice. Can't force you to come, but I think it would help." He nodded.
"Okay, I'm in."

We hopped in the car and made our way to Andy's house. As usual, Andy, Joe and Christina were in the basement playing video games.

"Hell yeah! Who's the queen? I'm the queen!" Christina said, jumping off the couch. Andy and Joe put their controllers down in defeat. "I believe you two owe me some ice cream."

"He's alive!" Joe said as we walked down the stairs.
"Now that you guys are here, let the practice begin!" Andy said. I grabbed my guitar from the corner.
"Um, I wrote new lyrics, guys." Pete pulled a crumpled sheet of paper out of his pocket and handed it to me. I looked over it and the gears were in motion. After a few hours of fine-tuning it and setting it to different notes, we had a new song.

"...I can't forget your smile, your cynicism
Somehow it was like you were the first to listen to everything we said
My smile's an open wound without you
And my hands are tied to pages inked to bring you back..."


*
Pete's POV

"What do you want to call this one?" Patrick asked.
"I'm not sure...Give me a second" I wanted Emi to know that it was for her. I thought back that night we first kissed.

"So...exactly what are we?" I asked.
"Last time I checked, I was a girl and you were a very handsome boy." I laughed. She smiled.
"But seriously, are we...anything?"
"Well what would you like to be?" she asked.
"I'd like to be an astronaut...and your boyfriend."
"You're in luck because I want to be an astronaut's girlfriend."


All of a sudden it clicked in my head.

"How about 'Homesick at Space Camp'?"
"Interesting. I like it."

*
Patrick's POV

Band practice went pretty well. The song Pete wrote was amazing, and it was really clear that he had Emi on the brain. As I was about to grab my cell phone to call her, it started ringing.

"Hello?"
"Hey, Trick, it's, Em."
"Woah, I was just about to call you."
"Psychic connection?"
"Haha. Maybe. What's up?"
"Nothing much. Visited my aunt. Lotsa food. You?"
"Finished band practice. We have a new song, courtesy of your boyfriend."
"Sweet. I can't wait to hear it. How's Pete doing anyways?"
"He misses you. I really think you should call him. We could always talk later."
"Sure?"
"Yeah. It'll be tough, but I think I can manage waiting for you to make Pete feel better."
"Okay. Love you Trick."
"Love you, Em."

*
Emi's POV

Following Trick's advice, I dialed Pete's number.

"Hello?"
"Pete, it's Emi."
"Hey! How's Japan?"
"Pretty fun. Visited my aunt's house, ate a lot, went shopping. I really miss Chicago...and you for that matter."
"I miss you too. You can't see it but I'm holding my arms out really wide."
"Aww. I feel special....Trick tells me that you wrote a new song."
"Yeah. You inspired it, actually."
"Now I really feel special. I'm expecting to hear it once I get back."
"Will do."
"So how's life in Chicago anyways? Did Mr. Beck put up the lights yet?"
"Yeah, he did that this morning. Looks amazing as usual."

"Emi, are you ready? Your grandfather is taking us out for breakfast," my mom said.

"Pete, I hate to leave, but my grandpa is taking us out for breakfast."
"Oh, okay..."
"Tell your mom and dad I said hi."
"I will."
"I love you, Pete."
"I love you too, Emi."

After hanging up, I felt really guilty. Trick wouldn't have told me to call Pete unless it was somewhat serious. I wish I could have talked longer, but I doubt that carrying on a cell phone conversation at a restaurant would be the most courteous thing to do. I had the feeling that he was more upset than he let on, and I wanted to make it up to him somehow.

All though breakfast, I was thinking. I almost put tofu in my tea, that's how spaced out I was. A letter wouldn't be enough. I mean, Pete wrote a song for me.

After breakfast, we, along with a few aunts and uncles, went to my grandpa's house and stayed there for a few hours. I met some cousins and listened to some J-rock. It was pretty sweet. After eating some more, we said our goodbyes and went back to my aunt's house. Once there, I headed for my laptop. "Glad mom opted for the laptop with a microphone..."

It took about an hour, but I finished recording. I put the newly burned CD in an envelope and wrote a short note to go along with it. Sealed it and gave it to my aunt to send.

"I hope he likes it."

*
Pete's POV

It was Christmas Eve. My mom sent me out to get some last minute groceries. You'd think I'd be ecstatic, or at least excited about Christmas...but seeing all the couples wandering around the store, laughing about how they couldn't find yams just reminded me of Emi and how she was on the other side of the world. She'd call, but because of the 15-hour time difference, I'd usually wake up to a new voicemail.

In attempts to get my mind off that, I glanced down at the list my mom gave me.

pie crust
cranberry sauce
vanilla extract
milk
yams

"Yams..." I sighed.

I quickly got everything on the list and headed back home.

"Mom, I got everything on the list," I said.
"Thanks, Pete. Could you put everything on the counter?"
"Sure." I pulled everything out of the plastic bag and set it on the counter.
"Oh, you have mail from Emi. It's on the kitchen table."

I walked over to the table and spotted a large envelope. Carefully, I opened it. Inside was a CD with a note attached.

Dear Pete,

I couldn't some up with the words to express how much I love/miss/need you, but I thought that Hellogoodbye did a pretty good job of it. Here's a little something from me to you. Hope you like it.

Sincerely,
Emi


I went upstairs and put the CD in my stereo. Soon I heard Emi's voice coming through my speakers.

This one goes out to Astronaut Wentz...

Dear Peter,
I've got a letter I would like to send
It's lacking strings of words with punctuation at the end
But should I trust this dialect
To convey the right effect?

Dear Peter,
I've got some things I'd like to set in pen
I would have used a pencil but lead's just not permanent
Should I trust my printer's ink
To express the things I think?

Every time I tried my best to think of something to contest
With inside jokes and other folks who've got much more to say

Dear Peter,
This envelope will represent my heart
I'll seal it, send it off and wish it luck with its depart
And this stamp will be every action that carried my affection
Across the air and land and sea

But should I trust the postage due
To deliver my heart to you?

Every time I tried my best to think of something to contest
With inside jokes and other folks who've got much more to say

Every page I tried my best to fill with something to contest
with inside jokes and other folks who've got much more to say

I'll give you all I can
A flower and a hand
I hope this helps you see
Signed, sincerely, me


After the song ended, let's just say I hit the play button more than once.

*
Review please. I'll coffee you foreverrr.
Sign up to rate and review this story