Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Nothing Like This

2

by rori795 9 reviews

Laurie hasn't even heard of Panic! At the Disco until her younger cousin Jess comes to stay with her, but what will happen when she starts to fall for a certain lead singer?

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-12-29 - Updated: 2006-12-30 - 2143 words

1Original
A/N Thank you so much for the reviews everyone. Sorry it took so long for the update, I've just been so sidetracked with my other story that this one kinda ended up on the backburner. It's a lot of dialogue and a bit of fluff, and yes, I know that their initial meeting seems a bit rushed, but it's all I've got right now and I really wanted to update this one. Also, I've given up on naming the chapters, I couldn't think of a name for it, so it's just "Chapter 2" for now.

Happy New Year everyone (and don't get too hungover!!!) And don't forget to review. It always makes my day!


Chapter 2

I looked up a little embarrassed, "Umm, no it's just that this belt is really ugly."

"Well, no argument there," he said taking in the sight of the belt. There was something familiar about that face. His eyes were hidden by sunglasses, but it was his lips. Something so familiar about his lips. Where did I know him from?

All of a sudden it hit me, "You're that guy. The singer guy from that band." What is his name??? I thought to myself. If only Shane were here. He would know.

A worried look came over singer guy's face. Well, at least as worried as you can look with sunglasses covering your eyes. "Please, just don't scream or anything," he pleaded.

Shane was right, he was really good looking, "You don't give me enough credit. I'm a little to old to be screaming over a guy in public, just because he's in a band."

The worried look began to vanish from his face, "Cause you're sooo old," he laughed, "But due to the fact that you're not going to scream; I am the singer guy from the band. Brendon Urie actually, from Panic! At the Disco." He held out his hand.

"Laurie," I shook his hand. "I took my cousin to see you guys last night. The show was phenomenal. She's a huge fan of you guys."

"And you?"

"Well, I think last night was the first time I heard you, but from what I heard you're really talented, so yes, I would consider myself a fan."

"Well it's always nice to meet a fan, Laurie. Especially one who doesn't scream," he gave me a huge smile with those magnificent lips.

"You should meet my cousin actually. She's here, in the dressing room. She's trying on like ten things, but I think she would come out to meet you."

As if on cue, Jess emerged from the dressing room. She looked at me and held up the clothes one by one, "not flattering. Really small. Looked ugly on. These colors make me look weird. Don't even get me started on this..." her voice faded as she looked to the man next to me. Her eyes grew wide and her mouth started to form an "O" as she dropped the clothes she was holding on the floor. I ran to her and cupped my hand over her mouth. She brushed it off and glared at me, like I was 'cramping her style'.

She held out her hand to him, "Jess," she managed to squeak out.

He flirtingly kissed it and she looked like she was going to faint, "Brendon."

At this point, between dropping the clothes and cupping hands over mouths, we were making quite a scene, and I wasn't surprised to see a few people looking at Brendon with recognition and whispering. "Maybe we should take this somewhere else."

Brendon took in his surroundings, "I think you're right. I want to hear what you thought about the concert, I mean, not knowing much about us."

"I know a good coffee place," I said. The others agreed and we headed out to my car. "So let me get this straight, you want me to tell you what I thought of the concert?"

I answered his questions about the concert on the way to the coffee place and when we got inside we talked about a variety of other things, including our favorite bands, books, movies and television shows. The shop closed at ten and I drove Brendon back to the mall to get his car.

"I really enjoyed the coffee and the talk," he said, giving me a hug.

"Yeah, me too."

"Me too!" chimed in Jess, she was still a little dazed about meeting the front man of her favorite band.

"Do you think I could get your number?" he asked me.

"Sure," he handed me his phone and I entered my number into it. We said our goodbyes and I began the drive home.

"That was so cool!" Jess said, sinking into the passenger seat.

"Yeah it was."

"He likes you," she looked at me sideways.

"No he doesn't."

"He asked for your number! He didn't ask for my number!"

"You barely said anything all night, he probably figured that you wouldn't say anything on the phone either."

"I said stuff!"

"Yes, I especially liked it when you squealed when he mentioned that Ryan happens to be single at the moment."

"I squealed because my coffee was hotter then I was expecting."

"Okay," I said, dropping the subject. As we pulled up to my apartment building my phone went off. "Hello?" I answered.

"Hey Laur, it's Brendon."

"That was quick," I mouthed who it was to Jess, and she mouthed back "I told you!" I rolled my eyes at her as I unlocked the door to the apartment.

"Well it's nice to talk to someone real."

"And you usually talk to who, robots?"

"You know what I mean."

I smirked and went into my room, closing the door behind me. "So lets get down to the nitty gritty of it; what do you hate about your job?"

"Well let me start by saying that I don't hate my job, there are just parts of it that I don't enjoy so much."

"Cut the crap. This isn't an interview. It's not like I'm going to go and quote you in my blog or something, if I even had a blog."

He laughed, "Well, I hate the labels that we get. Labels are bad because they limit your audience. People may read somewhere that we're "emo" and then they won't listen to us because they don't like "emo" without even giving us a try. I also hate it when people comment on our looks all the time."

"Hey, that comes with the territory, you're famous and people look at you. Besides, it's not like they're saying bad things."

"Yeah, but it gets old when girls get on myspace and write 'you're so hot' and they don't even comment on the music."

"You check your own myspace?"

"Sometimes... there are so many downsides to my job. I don't get to see my family or friends that often, and people are so fake when you're famous. They all want to be your friends even though they wouldn't have hung out with you two years ago. It's not all bad though. We were amazingly lucky to have such a great opportunity to get our music out there. And how many people really get to do what they love for a living?"

"I do what I love for a living."

"Yeah, I meant to ask you earlier, what exactly is Therapeutic Recreation?"

"In laymen's terms it's basically making people feel better about their lives by providing activities for them to participate in. I work in a nursing home and we try to get as many people active as possible. It's a very fulfilling job."

"I can imagine. So, let's get to the nitty gritty of it," he mocked my question and made a high-pitched voice, "what don't you like about your job?"

It was my turn to laugh, "I HATE calling BINGO. None of us like it. I just don't understand the fascination with sitting there and listening to numbers being called for an hour. And people get so bitchy over it. Sweet little old ladies start cursing each other for winning. It's always a disaster."

"I can't imagine little old ladies cursing each other out."

"Oh really? Well come by Sanders Home tomorrow at quarter of eleven and you'll see what I mean. Family members can be pretty killer too. Most of them are great, and then you just get those few who blame you for everything. There mother got the hamburger instead of the grilled cheese at lunch and it's your fault, and their father's favorite sweater wasn't washed yesterday and it's your fault. I mean, I work my ass off trying to advocate for these people and get them everything they need, and to some of these people I can do no right."

"Sounds rough."

"It can be."

We continued to talk for hours and when I finally hung up the phone it was four-thirty in the morning. There was no point in getting an hour and a half of sleep, so I put on a pot of coffee and jumped in the shower.

***

"You're here early," Julie said coming into the arts and crafts room. I'd gotten to work a half hour early and before clocking in had already updated the activity boards and was working on decorations for the summer picnic.

"Yeah, I'm running on my fourth cup of coffee."

"Rough night?"

"Well I didn't get any sleep, but it wasn't exactly rough. Remember that concert I went to the other night? Well, I was at the mall last night with Jess and met the lead singer and we talked on the phone all night last night."

She started to laugh, "You almost had me going there for a sec," Shane walked in, "Get this," she said to him, "Laurie here met the lead singer of Panic! At the Disco last night, then proceeded to have an all-night phone conversation with him."

She was still laughing but Shane didn't think it was a laughing matter, "YOU DID?! Oh my god I'm so jealous!" he ran over to me and picked me up in a hug.

"It's really not that big of a deal," my face was turning red.

"No," Jul said, "You couldn't have met him. Did you really meet him?"

"Why would I lie about that?"

She shrugged as Shane drilled me with questions about the night before.

***

"Hey Sylv," I walked into one of my favorite resident's room, "Ya ready for Bingo?"

"Hey Sweets! Yeah, just give me a second to check my hair. You look sexy." Contrary to popular belief, most older women love to give this compliment out to young girls, and they actually mean it in a good way.

"You're joking," I looked down at my purple Victoria's Secret jeans and my white, form-fitted thermal which was decorated with little cutout hearts. I was wearing a purple tank underneath. Now that I looked at it it was a cute outfit. "Sexy was really not my intention."

She smiled, "You've got a new fella haven't ya?"

"Not really. Just a friend." I sat on her bed and handed her a hairbrush.

"A friend that makes you dress sexy without intending to? Sounds like a good friend. Tell me about him."

"Well, he's a musician. I saw him in concert the other day then ran into him at the mall last night with my cousin."

"What's he look like?"

I blushed, "He has dark hair and dark eyes and he wears glasses. He's taller then I am about 5'8 or 5'9, and don't ask me why, but I think his lips are amazing."

Sylvia smiled, "you like him".

"No I don't. We just get along well."

"You like him," she said as I wheeled her out of her room.

I was setting up the Bingo game when the phone in the activity room rang. I picked up, "Therapeutic Recreation. Laurie Bower speaking."

"Hey Laurie," It was Karen, the receptionist, "You have a visitor at the front desk. It's a young man, but he told me that I'm not allowed to tell you who it is."

'Oh for Christ's sake!' I thought, 'Just tell me who the fuck it is Kar!' "Well I'm kind of busy with Bingo right now, so could you send him up here? I can't come down and leave a room full of residents."

"Yeah, sure dear."

I went about setting up the game, making sure everyone had enough game chips to cover their board. Sylvia grabbed my hand and looked toward the doorway, "I think he likes you too Sweets," she chuckled.

I looked at her confused, then as realization dawned on me I whipped around to face the doorway. Sure enough Brendon was standing there, "What are you doing here?" I walked toward him.

"You invited me last night, don't you remember?"
Sign up to rate and review this story