Categories > Cartoons > Biker Mice from Mars > Old Friends

Holding out for a Hero - Part 1

by RavenChild 0 reviews

Vinny and his friend Julie remember a few good times in teenage years...and a few bad ones. R&R please and thank you.

Category: Biker Mice from Mars - Rating: G - Genres: Angst - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-01-01 - Updated: 2007-01-01 - 2059 words

0Unrated
/I have borrowed the song "Holding Out for a Hero" by Bonnie Tyler for this chapter./

Chapter 6: Holding Out for a Hero - Part 1


- flashback -


ONE YEAR LATER!

Ever since the big Motorcross Race, Vinnie has become more popular on the moon Titan. Every weekend, after school, Vinnie and his friends would hang out at the Youth Tavern located at the edge of town. There, Vinnie and Julie would take this opportunity to express their creative story telling on the Tavern's stage. Telling stories was something that Vinnie and Julie often did with each other as children. The stories would always involve them being heroes that would battle against evil forces on the attack. Sometimes Vinnie will get distracted and brag on how well he did at the Motorcross Race last. But then he would refocus his attention back to the story he and Julie are telling. After the story Janice, Mandy, and Kerry would hop on stage to start singing to finish the act.

Julie, herself, found a boyfriend now. His name is Calvin. He is an older mouse at least in his mid 20's. For the past six months he has been very tight with Julie. Usually Vinnie gets along with everyone, but for some reason he just doesn't like Calvin. During the past three months he noticed some subtle changes in Julie's behaviour. Last week Vinnie went to touch her arm and she flinched. Never did Julie flinch when Vinnie touched her. This made him very suspicious with her relationship with Calvin. When Vinnie tried to address his concerns with the whole thing, she suddenly got defensive. If her and Vinnie weren't such close friends, she would have simply left him out of her life for good. She was in love, and that wasn't going to stop her from what she thought was happiness.

Vinnie and Mandy also have been close, although, Vinnie does have a tendency to flirt with the other ladies in the Tavern. This doesn't seem to bother Mandy too much, for she too does her own share of flirting. Neither of them seemed to take their relationship too seriously. Although, when the two of them are together their relationship does become rather passionate.

Tonight started out no different then any other night. Vinnie and Julie hopped on stage. They began telling the crowd a story about two 'well-known' heroes on another adventure.

"Greetings everyone, and welcome to another concluding episode of the two great heroes of the moon, Titan." Vinnie announced to the audience.

"These two heroes are, no doubt, an unbeatable team." Julie chimed in. "And their power could not be compared to anyone else's. Are you ready?" She says holding her Mick out to the audience.

The crowd lets out a loud, "Yeah!"

"Then lets begin the story. Staring me, 'Vincent, the Manly-Mouse'..." Vinnie says in a deep voice.

"And 'Julie, the Gorgeous Seductress'..." Julie curtsies.

The crowd cheers.

As Vinnie and Julie continue with their story, a white male mouse sits in the corner of the Tavern with a sulky look on his face. He glares up at the duo on stage. Anytime Vinnie touched Julie on the arm or the hand, he would clinch his teeth tightly with a snarl.

"And so, Titan is once again safe from the forces of evil, thanks to..." Julie coos as she and her partner brings the story to a close.

"Vincent..."

"...And Julie."

"Ride Free, Citizens!" They both crowed holding up peace signs with their fingers.

The audience cheered loudly as Vinnie and Julie got off the stage. The story paved the way for Janice, Mandy, and Kerry to jump on the stage and begin singing:


(Janice)

Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?

Where's the great white Hercules to fight the rising odds?

Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?

Late at night I toss and I turn and I dream of what I need



(Janice, Mandy, and Kerry)


I need a hero

I'm holding out for a hero till the end of the night

he's gotta be strong and he's gotta be fast

and gotta be fresh from the fight

I need a hero

I'm holding out for a hero till the morning light

He's gotta be sure and he's gotta be soon

And he's gotta be larger than life

Larger than life


(Janice)


Somewhere after midnight

In my wildest fantasies

Somewhere just beyond my reach

There's someone reaching back for me

Racing on the thunder and rising with the heat

It's gonna take a Superman to sweep me off my feet



(Janice, Mandy, and Kerry)


I need a hero

I'm holding out for a hero till the end of the night

he's gotta be strong and he's gotta be fast

and gotta be fresh from the fight

I need a hero

I'm holding out for a hero till the morning light

He's gotta be sure and he's gotta be soon

And he's gotta be larger than life

Larger than life


(Janice)


Up where the mountains meet the heavens above

Out where the lightning strikes the sea

I can swear that there's someone somewhere watching me

Through the wind and the chill and the rain

and the storm and the flood

I can feel his approach like a fire in my blood



(Janice, Mandy, and Kerry)



I need a hero

I'm holding out for a hero till the end of the night

he's gotta be strong and he's gotta be fast

and gotta be fresh from the fight

I need a hero

I'm holding out for a hero till the morning light

He's gotta be sure and he's gotta be soon

And he's gotta be larger than life

Larger than life





"Now, I know you are singing about me." Vinnie pipes up.

"Why Vinnie? Are you looking for a hero?" Kerry Joked.

"Sweetheart, everyone here knows that I'm the hero." Vinnie proudly states. "Weren't you paying attention to our story?"

The whole Tavern howled and cheered with Vincent's comment.

"Darlin' you can by my hero any day." Mandy purrs as she flops down off the stage and into his arms.

"You guys performed great." Julie said encouragingly when Vinnie and the girls reach their table.

"Hey, your story was awesome too, you know." Kerry says holding her glass to her.

"Yo, babe. It's time for us to go now." A deep voice bellows from behind them.

"Calvin. W-we just got here." Julie replies a bit timidly when she turns her head to see her boyfriend standing with a disappointed look on his face.

"I'm bored. Lets go." Calvin ordered.

Vinnie slammed down his drink on the table and glared at Calvin. "Look, kill-joy, we are having fun here, so why don't you..."

"Hey, runt! If I want your opinion I will ask for it." Calvin snapped back. He then tugs on Julie's arm. "We're out of here, babe."

"Runt? Why I otta..." Vinnie growls as he starts rolling up his sleeve.

"Vinnie, no! It'll be alright, I promise." Julie tries to council.

Before anyone could say anything else, Calvin forcefully tugs on Julie's arm right out of the Tavern.

"Man, I hate that guy." Vinnie again growls.

"I know what you mean, brrrr." Mandy shivers.

"I just hope that Julie has the sense to dump that loser." Janice thought out loud.

For the next little while the group at the table sat quietly and finished their drinks.

*********


TWO HOURS LATER!


Vinnie got worried about Julie, so he decided to come home from the Tavern early. He hoped that she would be home by now. When he asked his mom, she replied that Julie came in a half hour ago. She added that Julie ran straight into her room without actually being seen. A knotted feeling clinched in the pit of his stomach. Vinnie marched right up to Julie's bedroom door and knocked on it.

"Who is it?" Came a sad voice from behind the door.

"It's me, Vinnie. Is everything alright?"

There was a slight pause before Julie responded. "It's all good. Don't worry about me."

Vincent became suspicious with the way Julie sounded. He decided to investigate, so he opens the door and walks in. To his surprise Julie is lying in the dark, curled up in a ball on her bed.

"VINNIE!" Julie snapped up in shock. She started to clinch on what appeared to be her torn shirt above her left breast.

"What are you doing sitting in the dark?" Vinnie asked with great concern.

"I-I-I just felt like it, ok." Her voice quivered.

"Julie, something's wrong. I know it."

"No. Everything is fine..."

Not believing her, Vinnie reaches over to the lamp beside the bed and turns it on. The light floods the room, Julie immediately cowards from view by tuning her face away from Vinnie. Concerned now more then ever, Vinnie reaches to touch Julie on the shoulder. Julie quickly flinches away. She is also trying not to cry, but slowly failing. Whimpering sounds started coming from her mouth.

As Vinnie glanced at her, he could see many bruises on Julie's arms and legs. Her shirt has been torn to the point that it is practically falling off. His blood began to boil with fury. How can anyone hurt a lady like this? Carefully, Vinnie reached down to place his hand under her chin. Slowly he guided her head around so he can inspect her face clearly. As predicted, Julie's lower lip is cut and bleeding. Her left cheek is swollen, and her right eye looks like it will soon receive black and blue rings around it.

"HE did this to you, did he?" Vinnie said forcefully.

"Vinnie, it's not what you think... It was an accident..." Julie squeaked. A few tears escaped from her eyes.

"AN ACCIDENT?" He shouted. "Julie, this is NO accident. He purposely beat you."

"No! It isn't like that. H-h-he just got a little upset, that's all." Julie began to cry.

"Sweetheart. Mice don't just beat their lady just because they are a 'little upset'. This is WRONG! I have a good mind to go up to him and do the same to him as he just did to you." Vinnie bellowed.

"Stop it! Why are you saying this? I thought you were my friend."

"I AM your friend." He corrected her. Vinnie walks back up to the door and pokes his head out into the hallway. "Mom! Russell! Get in here!"

"Vinnie. No! Please don't do this..." Julie pleaded through her tears.

"Where is he?" Vinnie demanded.

"No... Please..."

"Julie, someone needs to teach him a lesson. And that someone is going to be ME! Now where is he?" He clasped his hands firmly around her upper arms to hold her steadily so he can look her straight in the eyes.

Julie paused, not knowing what to say to him. She thought she loved Calvin, and yet, deep inside she knew that what he did to her was wrong. Her body ached as she sat quivering in fear. She looked up into Vinnie's eyes and knew that he has been the only male, besides her father, that she ever trusted.

"The Tavern..." She whispered to him.

"Vinnie, what's going on...? Oh my!" Valerie spoke when she finally came up to the bedroom door.

"Valerie?" Russell asked when he noticed Valerie's shocked expression. He then looked over to his daughter. "JULIE!"

Both Valerie and Russell run up to Julie with worry all over their faces.

"Daddy." Julie wailed as her father rapped her arms around her.

"We need to get her to the doctor, Russell." Valerie said. She turned to see Vincent heading out the door. "Vinnie, where are you going?" When he didn't respond to her, she began to panic. "VINCENT! Get back here!"

"No can do, mom. I gotta teach a rat a lesson." Vinnie said in an angry tone.

"Vincent! Don't you dare do anything crazy!" Valerie warned.

"Crazy is my middle name, mom, and you know it!" Vinnie admitted as he quickly turns to glance back at her. He then storms out through the front door.

Valerie starts running out after him, but saw that she is too late. He already hopped on his bike and is driving off into the night.

"Oh, god. Not again." She mutters.
Sign up to rate and review this story