Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Independence Day

Lunch at the Leaky Cauldron

by tumshie1960 6 reviews

The saga continues

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [!!] [?] [X] - Published: 2007-01-02 - Updated: 2007-01-02 - 3612 words

5Exciting
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and other canon characters belong to JKR I'm only having some fun
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and other canon characters belong to JKR I'm only having some fun


Chapter 6: Lunch at the Leaky Cauldron.


The group made their way over to the Leaky Cauldron, Harry still wearing his Goblin cloak as he wished to remain anonymous. Hermione walked with him, arms round each others waists and Ginny walked beside him.



"So, you two are together at last?" she asked with sadness in her voice.



"Yes" replied Harry, "Look, Gin, I know you always hoped I would fall in love with you and I'm sorry you didn't get your dream. I can only offer you my friendship, I know you don't need another big brother, but I need a sister to explain where I've gone wrong when I mess up with Hermione. Someone to shout at me and tell me to get my head out my arse, so are you up for it?"



"You mean it, Harry? I can shout at you, scream at you, Bat Bogey Hex you and tell you that you're an arsehole? I accept, but if you hurt Hermione watch your back."



"Thanks, Ginny" Harry and Hermione replied.



Ron was feeling jealous, and Harry could see that he was upset over his and Hermione's relationship. He motioned to Ron to come over.



"Hey, Ron, sorry we didn't tell you earlier that we were together, it's still fairly new, we were going to let you know first time we were all together. You know I couldn't write as Dumbledore wouldn't let me. He has Hedwig under Hagrid's care at Hogwarts. I know it will change our relationship but we still need our best mate"



Ron looked at them and saw the love displayed on their faces and nodded, "It will take a bit of getting used to, just not too much mushy stuff until I get used to it"



"Okay we'll try, we're still trying to get used to it ourselves." was Harry's reply. As he pushed open the door of the Leaky Cauldron.



As arranged, Roger spoke to Tom and he led them through to a private room. A large buffet was laid out on several tables along with drinks varying from Pumpkin juice to Firewhisky. Everyone looked round at the spread, amazed at the variety and quantity of foods laid out. They heard the sound of a spoon tapping on a glass and turned to see Harry standing at the drinks table.



"Before we start to eat, I want everyone to get a drink." After everyone had a drink in their hands Harry spoke again. "I am unsure what the Wizarding tradition is, but I want to toast the memories of the people who can't be here today. I ask you first to drink to the memory of Sirius Black, friend, godfather, Marauder, one of the best may he never be forgotten."



Everyone raised their glass and drank. "Now to James and Lily Potter, mother, father, friends, Marauders, may their memory live forever." Again everyone drank.



Everyone filled their plates and mingled round the room. Harry was drawn aside by Remus.



"Harry, do you want me to take over from Sirius as your Godfather?" he asked.



"Well, Moony, as I've been emancipated I don't know if I need a Godfather, but I do need an advisor on Wizarding things and I would like that person to be you. This will be a paid position. You'll sit as my proxy on the Board of the Potter Trust until I've left school, after that you'll take a position as a member of the Board. Can you do this for me?" and in a whisper added. "I also need you to help me be an Animagus and remove a block from my magical core. I'm leaving the Dursleys today and going to Hermione's I'll let you know where I'm going after that, probably one of the Potter houses."



A tear came to the old werewolf's eye. "I accept all you ask and look forward to receiving your owl."



While they had been talking Tonks had been watching, she noticed Harry had been scratching at his hand and had noticed the scar. "Hi, Harry, this is my mum and dad, Andy and Ted."



Harry shook hands with them and welcomed them back to the family. Tonks noticed the scar read 'I will not tell lies', she knew immediately that only a Blood Quill could do that type of damage.



"Hey, Harrykins, where did you get the Blood Quill scar? Do you know they're illegal? Anyone who gets caught using one gets ten years in Azkaban." she stated switching from off duty Auror to on duty.



"Umbridge forced me to use it last year, do you know where she is?"



"Yeah, back in Fudge's office being her usual toadying self. This could be nasty for Fudge, if he knew what she was doing. Let me speak to Shacklebolt, he'll know if there's a case to answer." She replied.



"Not Shacklebolt, not anyone who has ties to the Order, I don't want Dumbledore interfering, you saw what happened today."



"Okay, Harry, but I'm an Order member too, why do you trust me?"



"Because you're a Black, and a Black's first loyalty is to the family, that's why Sirius cast out Narcissa and Bellatrix, their loyalty was to Voldemort. When I owl Remus, I'll get him to bring you with him, we'll go to the Aurors together and make a complaint. I'll contact some other students that the quill was used on too."



"You don't need to, Harry, several parents have complained to the Aurors but the paperwork has been 'lost' in Fudge's office. But as Head of two of the 'Great Houses' you can take your case directly to the Wizengamot, it meets every Wednesday."



"Thanks, Tonks, I'll be in touch, or do I call you 'Mary'?"



"Tonks is fine for now, maybe after I catch myself a wolf."



Harry's next conversation was with Arthur and Molly Weasley, they congratulated him on his new titles and inheritance and thanked him for the invite to lunch. Harry asked Molly if she could remember the first day they met when she helped him onto platform 9¾, Molly thought hard, and spoke.



"It was a normal start of term day, things had been a bit rushed getting everyone ready but we arrived at the station in plenty of time, then it all went wrong, one of the luggage carts we had lost a wheel and it took ages to find another cart, every corner we turned we were held up, and then as we were rushing to get through the barrier we met you."



"Thanks, you know I think you were set up by Dumbledore, did you know that every Muggleborn or Muggle-raised student usually gets two days orientation on Wizarding etiquette and taken for a trial run at platform 9¾? I received nothing. Hagrid had already told me that every bad wizard was from Slytherin, I guess he must have forgotten about Pettigrew, he was a Gryff. Then I met you and your family and you were kind to me and you didn't even know who I was. Then on the train, Ron told me more about Gryffindor and how all of you had been in that House. The Sorting Hat offered to put me in Slytherin, but I told it no way as I had met Malfoy and his cronies by then. Thanks for caring for me over the years, yours were the first decent Christmas and birthday presents I remember getting, that jumper during 1st year was brilliant, you gave to me even before you really knew me. Thanks for showing me what real family is about."



Molly grabbed him and crushed him to her, tears forming in her eyes, Arthur gave him a one armed hug and told him there was always a welcome for him at the Burrow.

Eventually everyone drifted off and only Harry and the Grangers were left in the room.



"Well, Harry, what happens now? Where are you going?" asked Hermione.



"I'm not sure, Remus told me that there are several unplotable Potter Houses including one on St. Kitts, they are only reachable by Portal from Potter Mansion which is also unplotable. I am moving out of the Dursleys today, tomorrow morning I have another meeting with the Goblins to discuss some things, after that I'll visit the mansion" his voice trailed off as an owl carrying a roll of parchment with the Gringotts Crest flew in through the open window.



Harry quickly removed the letter and automatically reached into his pocket and took out an Owl Treat which he fed to the bird. Opening the parchment he quickly scanned the contents.



Baron Black-Potter it is imperative that you return to Gringotts immediately, we have audited the Potter Trust and need to discuss our findings. Please be aware that we have asked for members of the Auror Branch to attend this meeting. If you have any objections to any of the Aurors who attend they will be asked to leave and a replacement will be requested.



Harry showed the letter to the Grangers and they quickly agreed to return to the bank with him.



After paying Tom for the meal the four rapidly made their way back to Gringotts, as they started to walk up the steps to the front doors Harry felt the hairs on the back of his neck rising. He stepped away from the Grangers and surreptitiously cast one of the Auror shields he had learned on them as he scanned the street. He watched in horror as a sickly yellow beam headed towards them and literally flew to the source and grabbed their assailant by the throat.



The yellow beam reflected off the shield and struck the corner of the bank shearing off a chunk of masonry which struck a passer-by throwing them to the ground.



Harry lifted the would-be assailant by the throat and stared into the eyes of Draco Malfoy. The look of smug satisfaction which had been on Draco's face, turned to one of worry as he realised his feet weren't touching the ground and then to one of fear as he realised that Harry had him by the throat. Harry glared into Draco eyes, his eyes showing all the hatred and contempt he had for his fellow student. He heard the sound of running water and looked down as the smell of urine assaulted his nostrils. A hand touched his shoulder and he turned round ready to defend himself dropping Draco into the spreading pool of human waste.



"Steady, son, we'll take over"



Harry noticed the uniform of the Auror branch and relaxed slightly, looking round to see what was happening. Hermione waved from the top step of the bank as several Goblin guards ushered her and her parents inside. All around Aurors were taking statements from witnesses.



The Auror introduced himself as Senior Auror Graham and asked what had happened.



Harry explained about his premonition, and how he had spotted the curse and where it had been fired from, and that he had grabbed the assailant. Draco's wand was tested and the Auror's eyes grew wide, the curse cast was one used in abattoirs and would have disembowelled anyone it came in touch with. The wand was tagged and bagged and a set of manacles were placed round Draco's wrists.



Not knowing what made him do it Harry grabbed the left sleeve of Draco's robes and pulled it up, there on the trembling boy's forearm was the Dark Mark. Harry couldn't help get a dig in, "You never know, Draco No-name, maybe you'll get to share a cell with Lucius, I've heard he likes his cellmates young, willing and male."



The Auror looked at Harry, "Why did you call Mr. Malfoy No-name?"



To call a Pureblood No-name was a bigger insult than to call someone Mudblood, and gave just cause for the insulted party to either challenge the person to a duel or sue them for up to half of their wealth. As arresting Aurors got a 10% cut of any fines levied or damages awarded he could almost see the Galleon signs light up in the Aurors eyes.



"Because his mother and fathers marriage has been dissolved by her former Family Head and she has been cast from the family under Wizarding Law. So unless Lucius Malfoy acknowledges him as his son and adopts him, he is without name and is therefore Draco No-name. Now as Lucius Malfoy is imprisoned, he can't adopt him can he?"



The Auror looked down at the blonde boy and read him his rights "Draco No-name, formerly known as Draco Lucius Malfoy, you are under arrest for casting a curse at undefended Muggles and an underage witch, for causing actual bodily harm to Jamie Henderson, retired robe maker, you are further charged with membership of an illegal society contrary to the Dark Wizard Act of 1900. Anything you say will be verified by use of Veritaserum and Legilimency, you have the right to legal advice before during and after this questioning, if can't afford legal advice the Wizengamot will provide a qualified advisor. Do you understand what I have said?"



Draco croaked out a "Yes" his throat was burning and starting to bruise where Harry had gripped it. Both Harry and Draco were aware if the Auror hadn't intervened that Harry would probably have killed him, and that the killing would have been marked down as justified due to the curse Draco had cast.



Auror Graham Apparated away with Draco and another Auror took a formal statement from Harry. Thirty minutes later Harry managed to complete his journey into the bank and met up with a fraught looking Granger family. He beckoned a Goblin guard over and enquired to the names of the guards who had taken care of the Grangers. No one would tell him but the guard ushered them through to the conference room they had left earlier that day.



When Harry scanned the faces in the room he spotted Shacklebolt among the Aurors, he asked for him to be replaced by Auror Tonks. When Tonks arrived Harry took her aside and asked about the other Aurors present. When he had been reassured that none of them were members of Dumbledore's Order, he was about to get down to business when he heard Moody's voice echoing in his brain "Constant Vigilance, Potter, Constant Vigilance."



He scanned the room and noticed two Aurors absentmindedly rubbing at their left forearms and got a flashback of Snape and Karkaroff doing the same, he cast a silent shearing charm at the sleeves of their robes and heard everyone gasp as the Dark Mark was revealed. The two Aurors started to raise their wands but as they did found themselves with Goblin pikestaffs tickling their chins.



Other Aurors quickly removed the Death Eaters wands and were about to arrest them when Slinkhard spoke. "These wizards have breached Gringotts' By-laws, they are not subject to Wizarding Law. Their actions in drawing their wands is proof of their guilt, under the By-laws of Gringotts they must now serve a life-sentence helping train the Watchdragons."



Harry knew he'd have to ask Bill or Charlie Weasley what the life expectancy of someone helping to train a Gringotts Dragon was. He had a feeling it would be measured in days or weeks rather than years.



As his meeting went on Harry's anger grew, every member of the Board of the Potter Trust when James had died had been replaced by a Dumbledore nominee, he was almost incandescent with rage when he found Fudge and Snape as members, each member had been paid in excess of 100,000 Galleons over the years and not one new investment had been made although many opportunities had been suggested by the Goblins.



Harry spoke with the Grangers and Slinkhard and took advice on what to do. It was decided that a Board meeting would be set for three days time and that any of the original board who were still alive would be asked to attend. Harry decided to also invite Bill Weasley and Tonks to the meeting and, as it broke no Wizarding Law, Roger Granger, Harry had discovered that Roger like to play the Stock Market and had made a substantial amount of money from his investments.



After the meeting Harry felt exhausted but he had one more thing to do. He left Diagon Alley with the Grangers and asked Roger to drive him to a Chauffeur driven car company. On the way over he transfigured the clothes everyone was wearing to look like top class fashion. When they stopped in a side street near a hire company Harry shrank and lightened the Granger's Mercedes 500 SLK and cast a protection charm round it so the fluids wouldn't spill out and put it in his pocket.



When they entered the car hire office the manager took one look at them and started fawning over them, Harry and Hermione looked at each other and mouthed 'Percy'. After some negotiation Harry hired the longest stretch limo the company had to offer and instructed the driver to take them to Little Whinging.



As the limo pulled into Privet Drive all gardening work and car washing stopped, faces peeped round curtains and groups of curious children gathered on the street corner. The car was so long that when the passenger doors were outside No. 4 the front was blocking the drive of No. 2 and the back was blocking No. 6. Vernon Dursley hurriedly put on his suit jacket and retied his tie, Petunia smoothed her dress and checked her hair and Dudley stuffed another piece of cake into his face as his parents were distracted and went back to watching TV.



The Granger adults exited first followed by Hermione and looked disdainfully at the people round about. Roger put on his best 'posh voice' spoke to Vernon whom he recognised from Kings Cross and Harry's description. "Good day my good man, I'm looking for my daughters betrothed, a Mr. Potter, I was led to believe he resided at this, house? Can't be a house not big enough, must be the servant's quarters." he adlibbed.



"No Potter lives here, never heard of a Harry Potter" blustered Vernon not seeing his nephew stepping out of the car.



"Hi, Uncle Vermin. How do you like my new car?" Harry started.



Vernon turned puce and stepped forward and swung his fist at Harry. Out of the corner of his eye, Harry had spotted a Police car swinging into Privet Drive, so instead of ducking he let the fist make contact, but limited the potential damage by rolling with the blow. British Bobbies aren't slow, they'd spotted a crowd in an unusual place and had decided to drive past to make sure there were no problems. Both occupants saw a fat man hitting a young boy. Vernon was on the deck, handcuffed and being read his rights before he realised there were Police on the street.



The Officers started taking statements from the neighbours, who were only too glad to get one up on Dursley, when Dudley made a belated arrival. He noticed Hermione and crept up behind her, watching the Police take statements. Being the lecher he was, he tried to cop a free feel of her breast, the sound of fingers breaking caught the Police Officers attention.



The Officer turned and saw a young brunette knee what looked like a baby whale disguised as a human in the gut as she let go of his hand (she would have kneed his balls but there was too much fat in the way.)



"What happened, miss?" he asked.



"That pervert touched me up." Replied Hermione.



"Do you want him arrested?"



"Hell yes, if he does that to a stranger in a crowd, who knows what he does elsewhere"



The Officer looked at his two potential prisoners and radioed for a van, no way was he putting those two in his Patrol car, the suspension would be wrecked.



Twenty minutes later the street was cleared and Harry made his way into the house. Petunia ignored him and took another mouthful of her third glass of brandy as the phone rang.



Harry and Roger went up to the loft and collected Harry's trunks which he had packed the previous day. Meanwhile Hermione and Jill opened the door to the cupboard under the stair. Both women grimaced and felt the tears springing to their eyes, they quickly dried them as they heard their men returning and went out to the limo.



As they were driving out of Little Whinging heading for the Grangers, Petunia was cursing her luck as the Traffic Police who had stopped her requested she provide a sample of breath. She thought it bad luck, but the neighbour who Vernon had reported for breaking last summer's hosepipe ban** had noticed her stagger as she got into the car to go and try and bail out her husband and son, and had made a swift phone call.



That night the three Dursley's found just how uncomfortable the mattress in a Police Cell was.



**For those who don't live in the UK: If we have more than 2 summer days without rain in the UK the Water Companies start saying there's going to be a drought. After 4 days they ban the use of hosepipes for washing cars and watering gardens. (Slight exaggeration here but that's how it seems, strange we live on an Island, surrounded by water but can run short of it!!)
Sign up to rate and review this story