Categories > Books > Cirque du Freak > Angel of Mine

chapter two

by littlewitch 0 reviews

stuff continues to happen

Category: Cirque du Freak - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Darren Shan - Published: 2007-01-08 - Updated: 2007-01-08 - 1995 words

0Unrated
Chapter Two- In The Dark
Disclaimer: aaargggh I hate disclaimers. Its obvious that I don't own the Darren Shan Saga isn't it?
Ok, a few things to explain. Firstly, whoever was killed off in the actual Darren Shan saga, their all alive now. Secondly, as lords of their clans Steve and Darren are at loggerheads and will do anything to get at each other, but at the moment its just silly little things and not death. I'm too much of a happy mood to confront killingness today. Here's chapter two!
"Addy?" Aiden sat up slowly, wincing as pain shot down her neck. Her vision was blurred and nothing seemed to make sense. What the hell had happened?
"Aiden? Is that you?"
Adrielle sounded as groggy as Aiden felt.
"Where are we?"
That was a question that neither of them had the answer to. Yet. They were lying on a bed, in what looked initially like a mud hut.
"Did we get kidnapped to Africa?" Addy looked around, squinting in the dim light. Then it dawned on Aiden.
"Holy crap! We're at Vampire Mountain!" She stood up, and regretted it. Swaying where she stood she examined the ceiling, walls and bed. Addy watched as she took everything in.
"I'm right! We bloody are!"
"Where's that? Vampire...."
"Mountain, Vampire Mountain!"
"But I'm not a vampire."
"Yeah, and that's not the only thing wrong about this situation." Aiden sat back down on the bed and took a breath. She looked confused.
"Firstly, last time I was awake Steve was trying to kidnap us. I'm sure my knee will testify to that, as it actually hurt when it connected with his groin at high speed. Secondly, we're supposed to identify ourselves at the gate, and how could we do that unconscious? Thirdly, where the fuck is Vancha?"
"I'm right here!" The vampire prince boomed from the doorway of their 'cell.'
Addy looked like she was going to cry. She had never been to Vampire Mountain and the last thing she had seen was Steve Leanoard's smirking face.
"Guys, what the hell is going on?"
The two vampires looked sympathetic and Vancha sat between the two girls on the bed.
"Let me explain." He cleared his throat. "Steve drugged us and was planning to kidnap us, but before he could, Kurda Smahlt..."
"KURDA?"
"Yes, Kurda rescued us and sent Steve packing. Then he broke rules and got some of the Vampire army to flit to the mountain carrying us, hence here we are."
"This is bizarre. Have you seen Kurda?"
"Yes. I woke up about an hour ago and he was in my room. He said Darren has something urgent to tell us. We are being...well, you are being escorted to the Hall of Princes in an hour's time. I have to go now, with Kurda."
Vancha looked mildly worried which added to Aiden's sinking feeling.
"Can I quickly show Addy around? I can't just sit here and wait."
"Sure, but Aiden? Be careful."
Vancha got up and strode out of the room, leaving Adrielle completely dumfounded and Aiden frowning miserably.
"Right. Well..... Shall we go look around?" Addy nudged Aiden out of her day dreams, which at that moment were more like nightmares.
"Yeah, sure. I'll take you because you'll get pitifully lost on your own. This place is crazy."
Aiden put on a brave face and got up, leading Addy out of the small, primitive room.
"You know about this place, right? I mean, Vancha and me talk about it all the time."
Addy nodded.
"Yeah, and leading the life I do how could I not? So where are we now?"
"Well, every vampire or visitor gets a cell of their own when they arrive, but I guess we gotta share one for now. Probably cuz you're new and all. Anyway, we are now leaving the cells and are heading to the halls."
Addy nodded, listening intently as they came to a huge cavern like hall.
"This is the hall of Osca Velm, the hall of welcome. See that big slab of stone up there? When theres a council everyone in the mountain has their name carved on it. I bet ours are up there now. We won't go in right now cuz we'll be there forever- vampires love to talk."
They rounded a corner and carried on down a long but brightly lit corridor. Aiden glanced at her watch.
"What you worried about? He can't do anything in front of the other princes, and I'll b there, and Vancha. He'll look after you."
Aiden sighed.
"I'm terrified that I won't be able to control myself and I'll get chucked in a holding cell for smacking him one," she said, quite serious.
"Well if it makes you feel better I'll hold you back. Where's this?"
Addy had to raise her voice as they came to the hall of Perta Vin Grahl, where to natural waterfalls flowed noisily into a huge pool.
"This is where we wash." Aiden stood at the edge of the pool and folded her arms, looking down into the water.
"I'm guessing it's not heated." Addy walked around the edge and looked at the high ceilings. The hall was currently empty but the waterfalls seemed to fill it. Addy jumped as she heard a voice and looked to Aiden, who didn't flinch.
"You two ready?"
"As ever, Gavner." Aiden didn't look up but Addy ran towards the newcomer.
"Gavner! I haven't seen you in forever!" The two of them shared a vigorous hug and beamed. However, Gavner's smile soon faded.
"Guys, I'm sorry but....."
"Let's go."
Aiden lead the way out of the hall as if she were the higher ranking general. Gavner Purl and Adrielle followed her, doing their best to match her brisk pace.
"Who rattled her cage? Apart from the obvious?" Gavner whispered.
"Oh, she's just a little tense at the minute. I'm sure she'll lighten up after a few days here."
They turned a corner and paused at the start of a very long corridor.
"Guys, I can hear every word you are saying," Aiden said haughtily as she was searched by a green clad guard. Addy and Gavner grinned knowingly at each other as they too were searched before being admitted to the hall of princes. The huge doors closed behind them as they stepped into the well lit hall, facing rows and rows of generals and the elevated princes. There was silence as they strode towards the central platform on which the princes' thrones were mounted. They stood in a spread out line beneath them and bowed. Addy glanced briefly at Aiden, noticing her gritted teeth and icy expression. She did not look back.
"You may stand. Gavner, you can resume your position if you would like."
Paris Skyle, the oldest living vampire in the world nodded at the three. Gavner nodded back and went to sit on one of the rear benches alongside other vampire generals. Addy wished he had stayed alongside her and Aiden, as she was finding the whole experience daunting. Also, she was deeply worried about Aiden, knowing full well that she would not be able to hold her back should she flip. Vancha seemed to sense this as he smiled encouragingly at her. Addy smiled back and took a deep breath. She looked along the row of princes and relaxed as one by one they exchanged smiles. Arrow was absent, as one prince always was. Mika Ver Leth sat on the far right, next to Paris Skyle. Darren Shan was in the middle, elevated slightly higher than the princes as he was lord. To the right of him sat Vancha March and Kurda Smahlt. Darren was slouched lazily in his throne, not looking particularly perturbed by anything. He sat up as the girls stood.
"Ahhh, Adrielle! I haven't seen you in a while my friend. How are you?"
He got up and descended the steps to Addy's level. He began to circle the two girls, his head bowed.
"I am well. And you my Lord?" Darren stopped beside her and smiled.
"I am well too, thank you." He looked over to Aiden and smirked, walking slowly toward her. Addy didn't dare look at her friend and looked instead to Kurda on the plat form. He nodded with a smile, the same familiar twinkle in his eyes. Addy took a deep breath and looked to her left. Darren was behind Aiden, which was probably a good thing as her look had turned to one of uncontrollable hatred. She turned and made eye contact with her friend. Addy smiled at her quickly and gulped.
"And you my Lady? How are you?" Darren said.
Aiden's jaw twitched.
"Well, thank you." She said threateningly.
"Not going to ask me?"
"My friend already has, I see no point," was all Aiden could manage.
Darren laughed quietly and began to circle them again.
There was a short silence and the princes looked to one another restlessly.
Adrielle decided to break the silence.
"My lord, perhaps you could explain why we are here. We are still...in the dark as it were."
The lord of the vampires clapped his hands together and resumed his seat alongside the princes.
"Yes I suppose it would be unfair of me to carry this on any longer." He took a breath.
"As I'm sure you are aware, Steve Leanoard is currently out to get us. Earlier this evening I sent one of m princes to retrieve you from his grasp and bring you here. Having done so I have an announcement to make."
Judging from their clueless expressions, the girls guessed that the princes were also unaware of what Darren had to say, which was all the more intriguing.
"I think that we are all working too hard. Being at war with the vampaneze has caused some of us to..... forget how to have fun. As we are not currently in the midst of fighting, I have invited our clan to the mountain for a ball tomorrow night."
The hall of princes was suddenly filled with the low rumble of surprised vampires, and even the princes sat up straight in their thrones.
Suddenly Aiden could stand it no longer.
"What the fuck are you on about? The tossers' messing with our minds!" she yelled.
"Still got a vicious tongue on you then Aiden."
She rolled her eyes and strode towards the doors of the hall. She wrapped on them hard four times and turned to face Darren as they were opened.
"Shove your stupid ball up your arse, along with your over sized head. Coming Addy?"
Adrielle looked to the doors and shook hr head, deciding that her friend needed some time to cool down after the confrontation.
Aiden growled and stormed down the long corridor, snatching back her sword as she met the guards at the end. Addy winced and turned back to the princes.
"She'll be fine after a few hours...possibly drinks...."
Darren smirked and sat back.
"Well I'm glad I still have my old friend here. Would you care to join me for a drink?" Addy nodded dumbly, not knowing what to say. Darren grinned.
"Good. And I'll show you some more of the mountain shall I? It must be very strange for you....." Adrielle looked back at Vancha and Kurda, both of whom were frowning.
Darren paused as he lead her out of the hall, and turned around to face the confused bunch of princes and generals.
"So I'll see you all in the hall of Khledon Lurt tomorrow evening, six O'clock start. Best bib and tucker, and all that....." Adrielle gulped as the lord led her down the corridor, wishing she had gone with Aiden.
Next chapter party time! A load of vampires at a ball.......should be interesting!
There will be dancing, romance and violence!
x x x x x x x x
please please please review!!!!!!
Sign up to rate and review this story