Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Time to Live

The Death Eater Trials

by loralee1 2 reviews

AU Post OotP, No HBP, With Voldemort gone it's time for Harry to Live.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Arthur Weasley, Dobby, Dumbledore, Fred, George, Ginny, Harry, Hermione, Kingsley, Luna, Lupin, Molly Weasley, Moody, Neville, Ron - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-01-20 - Updated: 2007-01-21 - 1501 words

5Original
Time to Live 15
By Loralee

The Death Eater Trials

August 4th

Harry Potter entered the Ministry building to find hordes of reporters lining the aisle to the check in counter. They screamed and shouted out questions but could not mob him due to the Aurors massed in the Atrium. Harry spotted Tonks and Smith both in the crowd. Smith glared at him briefly but Tonks smiled and waved.

Harry made his way past the counter and to the lifts heading for courtroom ten. He was dressed in new, dark green dress robes with the Potter crest on the left breast. He appeared to carry himself with confidence even though nerves were twisting his insides.

He entered the courtroom and was directed to the first row of seats, where other witnesses could also be seated.

Spectators already filled the gallery above and the judges were slowly filing into their seats. Harry spotted Dumbledore in the second row on the right side. In the middle of the front row were Amelia Bones, Kingsley Shacklebolt, and another man Harry didn't recognize. After a short time Amelia signaled and the door to the side opened. Five men were escorted in and seated in chairs with chains. The chains glowed golden for a moment and wrapped about the men. The Aurors moved to the side of the chamber.

Amelia nodded to a young, blonde woman who picked up a quill and poised to write.

"Trial of the 4th of August in the matter of accused Death Eaters; Avery, Crabbe, Jugson, Macnair, and Nott." She speared the men with her gaze; "You are accused of being Death Eaters in the service of the evil wizard Tom Riddle, also known as the Dark Lord Voldemort. You are accused of attempted murder, assault with deadly intention, use of an unforgivable curse, possession of Death Eater paraphernalia, attempted theft of ministry property, membership in a terrorist organization, and conspiracy to overthrow the Magical government of Britain." Amelia turned to Shacklebolt.

"These five men were arrested with six others; Lucius Malfoy, now deceased and five escaped Death Eaters inside the Ministry, dressed in Death Eater masks and regalia. Their wands were confiscated and tested. I have the copies of the results for the members as well photographs taken at the time of arrest." Shacklebolt passed folders to an Auror who began distributing them to the Wizengamot members.

He then continued; "As you can see, Prior Incantatem produced the last ten spells on each wand, and there was a least one unforgivable on each wand." Shacklebolt turned to Bones and nodded.

"The Ministry calls Mr. Harry James Potter to speak for the prosecution."

Harry stood and walked to a small table set to one side of the chained men. He bowed slightly to Bones.

"Mr. Potter, are you willing to give us a pensieve memory of the night in question?"

"Yes, Minister Bones, I am," said Harry in a firm voice.

A small, drab man stepped out of the shadows to the left of the courtroom carrying an elaborately decorated stone bowl. He placed the pensieve on the small table in front of Harry and flourished his wand.

"Do you have the memory, sir?" he asked. Harry nodded and the man laid his wand against Harry's temple. The silvery thread slipped free of Harry's head and was deposited into the bowl. The small man then tapped the edge of the bowl and the memory appeared, projected above the bowl.

A yellowish label affixed to the shelf right beneath the dusty glass ball. Spidery writing showed a date and S.P.T to A.P.W.B.D Dark Lord and (?) Harry Potter. Harry pulled the globe from the shelf. And then, from right behind them, a drawling voice said, "Very good, Potter. Now turn around, nice and slowly, and give that to me." (1)

The memory played on; Harry carrying on a conversation with the distinctive voice of Lucius Malfoy, Harry and his friends running, hiding. Again came the distinctive voice of Malfoy roaring from the other side of the door: "Leave Nott, leave him, I say, the Dark Lord will not care for Nott's injuries as much as losing that prophecy—Jugson, come back here, we need to organize! We'll split into pairs and search, and don't forget, be gentle with Potter until we've got the prophecy, you can kill the others if necessary—Bellatrix, Rodolphus, you take the left, Crabbe, Rabastan, go right—Jugson, Dolohov, the door straight ahead—Macnair and Avery, through here—Rookwood, over here—Mulciber, come with me!" (2)

Harry stood stone faced as the memory ended with Sirius falling though the veil and all of the Death Eaters except Bellatrix captured. As the memory collapsed, the sound in the room swelled as members of the Wizengamot began discussing what they'd just seen.

Amelia Bones banged her gavel and the room quieted once more. "Thank you Mr. Potter, you may return to your seat. The Ministry calls Senior Healer Francis Parks."

Harry returned to his seat. Healer Parks passed him and stood behind the small table. Parks was a distinguished looking, older man with silver hair wearing a dress robe of pale green.

"Senior Healer, you examined these men upon their arrest for evidence of the Imperius curse?"

"Yes, Minister Bones, I did."

"Please tell us your findings."

"I found no evidence of the Imperius, I also ran several tests for the presence of controlling potions. Those tests were negative. I did however find the Dark Mark on each of their left forearms," stated the Healer.

"Thank you, Senior Healer, you may return to your seat." Bones turned to the chained men.

"Do you have anything to say in your defense?"

"The Dark Lord threatened the life of my family if I did not join him," spoke Avery.

"Are you willing to take Veritaserum to prove the veracity of that statement?" asked Bones.

Avery glared at her, and then shook his head.

Bones eyed the other men but they only looked away. "Very well, this court will recess for discussion. A silencing charm went up around the members of the Wizengamot and the noise from the spectator section rose. Healer Parks leaned over toward Harry.

"Hello Mr. Potter, it's a pleasure to meet you. I just wanted to thank you, son, for getting rid of that monster for us." He held out his hand.

Harry shook the man's hand, "Oh, well, you're welcome. I really was only defending myself, you know."

Healer Parks smiled, "Yes, of course, Mr. Potter. I understand, but there are a lot of us that couldn't have done that."

The silencing charm came down and Bones cleared her throat. "Gerald Avery, Thomas Crabbe, Robert Jugson, Walden Macnair, Timothy Nott this court finds you guilty on all counts. You are to be confined to Azkaban prison for the rest of your natural lives. This court, orders you to under go questioning under the effect of Veritaserum to find the full extent of this conspiracy to overthrow the Ministry. Your personal assets are ordered confiscated. Take them back to their cells."

The Aurors stepped forward and led the men from the room.

"We shall reconvene after lunch to hear the cases of those named by the convicted Death Eaters who were recaptured at the Ministry battle."

Harry stood and ignored Dumbledore's attempt to catch his eye. As he exited the courtroom Tonks appeared beside him.

"Wotcher, the Minister has ask if you'd like to lunch with her in her office, Harry?" she whispered in his ear.

Harry shrugged and followed Tonks down the hall. He was surprised to find Susan Bones waiting in the Minister's office.

"Hi, Harry, how are you? Auntie invited me for lunch. She said that you invited me to go to the World cup game with you? Are you sure?"

"Oh, sure Susan you're welcome to go with us. I think it'll be a lot of fun."

"Who all is going?" asked Susan as she dug out sandwiches from a picnic basket.

"Well, Hermione Granger and I've asked Ron and Ginny Weasley's Dad but I haven't heard for sure about them, Luna Lovegood, and if he can convince his Gran, Neville Longbottom. Oh and do you remember Remus Lupin, he's an old friend of my parents and agreed to come. I didn't think Mrs. Weasley would agree if there wasn't an adult with us."

Susan giggled, "It sounds fun, Harry."

The two of them shared a very nice lunch and Harry never even noticed that Amelia Bones never joined them.

A/N: I reread the sections on Goblet and Phoenix that dealt with trials several times. They didn't really help me a lot so I used creative license for the courtroom scene. I also made up first names for the Death Eaters other that Walden Macnair.

(1) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, chapter 34, page 780, hardback American edition
(2) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, chapter 35, page 788, hardback American edition

Revised 1/18/07
Sign up to rate and review this story