Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Time to Live

No Good Deed

by loralee1 1 review

AU Post OotP, No HBP, With Voldemort gone it's time for Harry to Live.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Arthur Weasley, Dobby, Dumbledore, Fred, George, Ginny, Harry, Hermione, Kingsley, Luna, Lupin, Molly Weasley, Moody, Neville, Ron - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-01-20 - Updated: 2007-01-21 - 1695 words

5Original
Time to Live 17
By Loralee
Disclaimer: Not mine

No Good Deed

Harry set up in the spectator's gallery for most of the afternoon under his goblin glamour. Watching a steady stream of men and women being sentenced to Azkaban. Several had Advocates willing to speak for them and received reduced sentences or leniency. One woman, who claimed duress, agreed toVeritaserum questioning and was released when she told the same story.

Harry noticed Dumbledore's eyes scanning the gallery several times apparently looking for him. Around 3 pm Amelia glanced up at the gallery also looking for him. Harry realized that was the signal and left the gallery. He reentered the courtroom as himself moments later as Snape's trial was being announced.

As he seated himself in the witness section a low murmur ran through the room. Snape was led in and chained in the chair. Harry watched as Snape scanned the court and found Dumbledore who refused to make eye contact. Snape's shoulders slumped slightly and his eyes turned toward Amelia Bones, he never looked at Dumbledore again. He hadn't seen Harry.

Amelia took a sip of water and cleared her throat.

"Trial on the 4th of August, in the matter of accused Death Eater, Severus Snape. You are accused of being a Death Eater in the Service of the evil wizard Tom Riddle, also known as the Dark Lord Voldemort, membership in a terrorist organization, and conspiracy to overthrow the Magical government of Britain." She turned to Kingsley.

"Severus Snape was named in the Veritaserum questioning of convicted Death Eaters Rodolphus Lestrange and Anton Dolohov. He also bears the Dark Mark on his left forearm. Prior Incantatem showed no dark, restricted or unforgivable spells on his wand," said Kingsley Shacklebolt.

Amelia's gaze swung to Harry. "Mr. Potter, do you have evidence to give in this matter?"

Snape's head swiveled toward Harry with a shocked looked that turned instantly to loathing.

Harry walked on to the floor and over next to Snape. "I'm here as Advocate for Mr. Snape. I believe that there are extenuating circumstances that should be brought to the court's attention before judgment is passed." Harry could see Dumbledore's scowl from the corner of his eye and the look on Snape's face was one he would not soon forget.

"Madam Minister, I must protest. Mr. Potter is not a proper Advocate," said the unknown man beside Bones.

"On the contrary Mr. Edgecombe, Mr. Potter is an emancipated wizard, he is the man who destroyed Voldemort. He bought down Bellatrix Lestrange, captured at least four Death Eaters single handedly, and prevented another Goblin rebellion with his quick actions at Gringotts recently. I believe he is an excellent Advocate." She turned to Harry, "Please continue, Mr. Potter."

"Severus Snape was a spy for the light against Voldemort," said Harry. Whispers broke out between the Wizengamot and the gallery both. "He was working for Albus Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoenix."

All eyes went to Dumbledore, who looked a bit disgruntled at being singled out.

"If that's so boy, why hasn't Headmaster Dumbledore spoken up for Snape?" asked Edgecombe angrily.

"You would have to ask the Headmaster that, I'm afraid. I know that he did vouch for Mr. Snape during the trials at the end of the first war with Voldemort, fifteen years ago. I know that he is the one who asked Mr. Snape to return to spying when Voldemort was reborn at the end of the Tri-Wizard tournament a year ago," said Harry coolly.

"Would you care to answer that, Albus?" asked Amelia.

"Yes, Severus was a spy for me in Tom Riddle's camp, I did vouch for him fifteen years ago. However Severus never contacted me after his arrest. I'm sure he could have requested Veritaserum to prove his innocence."

The members of the Wizengamot were whispering fiercely to each other now.

"Mr. Potter?"

"Mr. Snape and I have not always gotten along due to the role he was forced to play. If you ask anyone at Hogwarts they'd probably tell you that Professor Snape and I hated each other. Headmaster Dumbledore repeatedly told me that he trusted Severus Snape with his life, more importantly he trusted him with mine. Mr. Snape was a spy, he provided valuable information for the light side, and he saved my life. I believe he should be rewarded not punished."

"I believe we will have a short recess to discuss this matter." The silencing charm went up.

"What in the bloody hell are you playing at, Potter?" hissed Snape.

"Trying to keep you out of prison, you git." Harry hissed back, "Look at Dumbledore."

Snape's head turned, he could see the member of the Wizengamot shouting at each other behind the silencing charm and Dumbledore gesturing. He nodded once.

"Don't think for one moment that I'll thank you for this bit of Gryffindor idiocy."

Harry smirked, "It never crossed my mind. If you go to prison at least I can tell myself that I tried and I'll never have to see you again. If they let you go, then you walk away and I never have to see you again. Either way, I win."

Snape was still glaring at him as the silencing charm came down.

Harry stood attentively next to the chained Snape. Amelia glared around the gallery, silencing the voices. Dumbledore looked rather satisfied in a way that made Snape cringe.

"Severus Snape, this court finds itself at a bit of an impasse. This court is willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. However some of the members of this court feel that the role you have had to play may have tainted your attitudes and despite working for the light side there is the possibility that you would turn dark. Therefore this court will be remanding you into the custody of a powerful light side wizard for a probationary period of two years. Will you, Severus Snape, accept this ruling?"

Snape bowed his head, "Yes Minister Bones, thank you."

"Very well, Severus Snape you are remanded to the custody of Harry James Potter for the period of two years." Then in the dead silence of the courtroom she signaled for the Aurors for escort Snape from the courtroom.

Harry stood there shocked staring at Amelia Bones who look rather pleased with herself. As he looked at her, her eyes cut to one side. Following her gaze Harry saw a sight he would never forget. Albus Dumbledore, jaw gaping staring in shock at Bones. At that moment Harry Potter's own shock turned to glee, he began to grin as he watched Dumbledore attempt to pull himself together.

"This court will reconvene tomorrow morning."

Dumbledore's eyes finally sought Harry and Harry turned away ignoring the man.

Shacklebolt approached Harry, "Come with me, Mr. Potter. You'll need to pick up Snape in my office as soon as his release is processed. I don't think you want to deal with Dumbledore right away. He was sure that Snape would be assigned to him."

Harry still grinning followed the Head of the Auror department away from the courtroom.


"Tea, Mr. Potter?" asked Kingsley once they were seated in his office.

"No, I'm good. I, uh, what happens now?" asked Harry, sobering.

"Now we wait for Snape to be brought here. He is being given his clothes and other possessions now. Then we will go over the terms of the probation."

"That's not going to be pleasant," Harry sighed.

Kingsley crooked a smile. "Harry I," he broke off as the door opened. Amelia Bones stepped into the office followed by two Aurors and a shackled Snape carrying a valise.

The Aurors placed Snape into a chair and then stepped back out the door.

"Does he have to be chained up?" snarled Harry.

Kingsley raised his wand to release the shackles and Snape flinched. Amelia looked startled for a moment.

Once the shackles were removed Amelia spoke, "I am sorry for throwing the two of you together, Mr. Potter, Mr. Snape, but Albus Dumbledore is the most infuriating man in the known universe. He is the only reason we have to do this. I know that had you been released to Dumbledore you would be back at Hogwarts today."

Snape only inclined his head, face blank.

"Well, what happens now?" asked Harry.

Kingsley and Amelia exchanged a glance, Snape snorted and said softly, "I become your slave, Potter."

"What!" yelped Harry.

"Not quite, but I understand how it could appear to be so," said Amelia. "Mr. Potter, you are responsible for Mr. Snape for the next two years. He must do as you tell him. He will have as much or as little freedom as you allow."

"Are you saying we have to live together, that he has to go back to Hogwarts with me?" said Harry.

"No, as long as Mr. Snape checks in with you on a regular basis you don't have to be together," said Kingsley, then he laid a intricate metal cuff on the table. Snape flinched again.

Harry eyed the cuff, "What is that?"

"It's an inhibitor cuff. It will inhibit certain magic, monitor the rest, can be used as a tracer and with a word can be used to incapacitate the wearer," said Kingsley.

"We don't need it," said Harry firmly. Severus' head popped up and he looked at Harry in surprise.

"Harry, it traditional to--" Harry cut him off.

"I just stood up in court and said I trust him. If I understand right I can punish him for misbehavior? If I catch him using dark magic can I kill him?"

Amelia slowly nodded her head. "Yes, actually, you could be required to kill Mr. Snape under those circumstances."

"Right, so we don't need that. If that's all we should be going." Harry stood. Snape stood as well and edged away from the desk. He seemed to Harry to be in shock.

Kingsley looked to Amelia who nodded and said, "Well, if you need anything just," she trailed off as Harry left the room trailed by an unusually subdued Snape. She shook her head. "I hope I did the right thing."

Revised 1/18/07
Sign up to rate and review this story