Categories > TV > Buffy the Vampire Slayer > New Life, Meet Old Life

Chapter Two

by kendra 0 reviews

The old life.

Category: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover - Characters: Buffy - Published: 2007-01-25 - Updated: 2007-01-25 - 1501 words

1Insightful
Chapter 2.

Scotland, one year earlier. (Halloween.)

It was a bright yet windy day in Hogsmeade as three teenagers walked along a village street. In the centre was a dark haired boy with bright green eyes and glasses. On his forehead was a lightning bolt shaped scar. To his right was a tall, gangling boy with very red hair and lots of freckles. To the far left of the group was the only girl whose hair was long brown and a little bushy. All three were wearing what appeared to be a uniform, black robes and cloaks with scarlet and gold scarves wrapped around their necks.
The girl, Hermione Granger leaned over to the dark haired boy. "It really wasn't that bad though was it, Harry? she asked him.
"I guess not," Harry Potter replied, shrugging. "But you know that half of them were only interested in hearing what I have to say about Voldemort first hand."
"Not all of them. Some seemed to genuinely want to learn from you."
"She's right Harry," Ron Weasley, the other boy, chimed in. "Besides you have us to help you so there really is nothing to worry about, right Hermione?"
"Of course we'll help."
Reaching The Three Broomsticks the teens paused. "Come on. Let's go get a butterbeer," Ron said eagerly. "All that planning has gotten me thirsty."
"He just wants to see Madame Rosmerta," Hermione told Harry dryly as they followed their friend in.
The small pub was completely crowded with Hogwarts students. After ordering their drinks they fought their way to a corner table and sat, talking animatedly about anything that came to mind. Harry felt content. He lived for moments like these, just sitting here with his friends and pretending he was just like everyone else. He looked at Hermione as she talked about the Potions essay Snape had set them the day before. Something was different about her lately. She went through the motions, studied with them, and talked with them. She went to classes and meals, her grades were as good as ever, but there were times when she would be...distant. The hours she spent in the library had increased recently although that could be attributed to OWL studies. She also spent some time seemingly hiding from the world as neither Ron nor Harry could find her. Harry didn't want to betray her trust unless he thought there was something serious going on, but he knew that sometime soon he would be following her with the Marauder's Map and his invisibility cloak.
"And if you two don't start trying just a little bit harder you're going to fail all your OWL's," Hermione was ranting. "Honestly! I can't do it all for you. You have to..." her voice trailed off.
Harry glanced up at her. Her face had drained of colour and she was staring at something across the room. There was a middle-aged man sitting at a table there. He looked perfectly normal, grey hair, blue eyes, fairly muscular but not huge. The only alarming thing about him was that he was staring directly at Hermione. "D'you know who he is Hermione?" he asked her quietly.
"Hmm? Oh, yes. That's Merrick. He's a friend of mine. Excuse me for a minute." Hermione stood, leaving her butterbeer and bags behind to stalk directly up to the man. She sat with him and the two soon seemed deep in conversation. The man's eyes kept glancing up at Harry and Ron as if to make sure that they weren't trying to sneak over and eavesdrop. 'Well that rules that plan out," Harry thought.
Ron shifted closer to Harry in order to be able to see more clearly. "Who d'you reckon he is?"
"All she said was Merrick," Harry replied. "You don't think that they're related or anything do you?"
"Nah. Hermione's muggle-born remember. She wouldn't have relatives in Hogsmeade. What I want to know is how she made a friend in the village without us knowing if one of us is almost always with her every time we come here."
Harry thought about that. "You're right. Which means Hermione's been sneaking out of school to come here, or she knows him from somewhere else."
"She must have met him somewhere else right? I mean, this is Hermione we're talking about. No way would she sneak out of school for no good reason. We always have to talk her into that kind of thing," Ron reminded him.
They looked back to Hermione and the stranger. "Well whoever he is I don't think Hermione's very fond of him right now," Harry said. It was true, Hermione was now standing and looked to be arguing with the stranger, although they kept their voices quiet.
Suddenly Hermione was walking towards them, her face like a thundercloud. "Come on," she hissed at them. They all grabbed their things and left, two thirds of the group wondering what the hell was going on.
Harry and Ron pestered Hermione all the way back to school to tell them who the stranger was, but she refused to say anything. The boys, knowing Hermione's moods, decided to tactfully let it drop. Either she would tell them herself or they would find out another way.


The next morning Hermione Ganger was no where to be found. She had been surly at the Halloween feast the night before and now she had missed breakfast and her morning classes altogether. It wasn't until lunch time that anyone knew why.
Harry and Ron were slowly eating, both very concerned for their best friend, when Hedwig flew over and dropped a note in front of them. It was such an unusual occurrence to get owl post at lunch that the whole school was watching.
It was written on muggle stationary, Harry noted as he ripped open the envelope and scanned the bottom of the note. He gasped. "It's from Hermione." He flattened the note on the table and both boys leaned over it.

Dear Ron and Harry,
I haven't been the best of friends lately so I completely understand if you both hate me after reading this letter.
I won't be seeing you again. I know that's blunt, but it's the truth. You see, my parents found out. Everything. What we get up to in school, Voldemort, everything and I guess you could say that they're scared for me. This is why they have removed me from school permanently and we're moving to another country-no I won't tell you where. That man you saw me with yesterday-Merrick-he brought me the news. As you saw I was angry at first, but in the end I decided that if it makes mum and dad more comfortable, I could do it for them. After all if Voldemort ever decided to come after me for daring to be a muggle-born witch he would surely kill both of them too without a second thought. So, you see, this is my choice. My biggest regret is leaving you two behind. Especially you Harry. I know I promised I would help you with the study group, but I can't so I leave you with the sign up sheet (there's a inx on it-probably best to keep that to yourselves) and a few tips.
1-Pick a good name, one that can inspire everyone and that doesn't make it completely obvious what you're doing-we all know Umbridge won't approve.
2-Have everyone vote on a leader. It will be you, but everyone will feel happier if they feel they chose for that to happen.
3-Be confident. These people are choosing to learn defense from you. They trust you. Trust yourself.
4-Get rid of that Umbridge cow. She's one of the worst things to ever happen to this wonderful school and I hate to think exactly how much power the ministry is giving her. I know this isn't exactly a tip, but I felt it was worth mentioning. Don't let her get to you, no matter what and please, for me, try and control your temper. You make me worry so much and I will no longer be there to help you.
I believe in you Harry. You're going to be a great teacher.
Ron, help Harry and try to be a bit more confident yourself. You got on the quidditch team because you deserve to be there. I know that betweent the two of you you will ensure another Gryffindor victory. Don't forget you're a prefect. Act like it. Don't be scared to tell those brothers of yours off if you feel they need it.
Please tell all your family, especially your mum, how grateful I am to them that they opened their home to me every summer and for making me feel like part of the family.
I love you both. Please be strong for one another in the hard times we all know are ahead. I wish I could be with you, but life's just not worked out that way.

All my love Hermione.
Sign up to rate and review this story