Categories > TV > Buffy the Vampire Slayer > New Life, Meet Old Life

Chapter Three

by kendra 0 reviews

Buffy meets some old friends.

Category: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover - Characters: Buffy - Published: 2007-01-28 - Updated: 2007-01-28 - 1625 words

1Moving
Chapter 3.

Sunnydale, the present.

'Where are they?' Buffy wondered exasperatedly, looking around.

She was supposed to meet Willow and Xander here, outside school after class, but they were late. The three of them had plans involving hanging out, watching TV and maybe even eating large amounts of junk food, culminating in a night of dancing in the Bronze. She even had high hopes of Angel showing up. But, before they could do any of that, her two best friends had to actually get here.

She stood on tiptoe, cursing her small stature. 'Ah, Xander, at last,' she thought, spotting the shaggy haired young man. She started to fight her way over to him when a second glance stopped her. He was wearing glasses. 'Ok, not Xander.'

"Hey Buff," a voice said from behind her.

With a startled yelp Buffy spun to face a smiling Xander Harris. Willow was standing just behind him. Annoyed at being surprised like that she smacked him on the arm and he rewarded her with a yelp of his own.

"Where were you?" she demanded. "I've been waiting."

"We were in class, Buffy," Willow told her. "Y'know that place where you were supposed to be."

"What do you mean? We had a free period last didn't we?" At Willow's rather pointed look Buffy dropped her head. "Oops." Then she shrugged, deciding it really didn't matter and linked her arm through Willow's. "Come on, let's go. I checked in with Giles already, he said as long as I make a pass through the cemeteries later I could take the evening off. No ancient prophecies coming to pass tonight."

"Thus freeing us up for some serious fun," Xander said happily. "Giles must be in a good mood to let you have time off."

"Yup. Of course it might have had something to do with the fact that Ms Calendar came by and he just wanted me to be elsewhere."

"Those two are so sweet," Willow smiled.

"Sweet is not the word I'd use, but if it makes them happy I say 'have at it.'" Buffy frowned. "Just not in front of me, 'cos they're way too old to be having public smoochies."

The three of them laughed, completely oblivious to two sets of eyes following their every move.



Buffy walked through the empty streets, idly swinging a stake in her hand. Not a single vampire was in sight. 'What a complete waste of time.' Bored, she decided to head on to the Bronze and her friends when she heard a yell.

Instinctively she ran towards it, eyes constantly scanning the area for potential threats. She pulled up, surveying the scene. A female vampire with long black hair was leaning over a redheaded boy. He was clearly in trouble, but Buffy's eyes were drawn to his right hand. She paused in shock. 'No way.' Clutched tightly in the boy's fist was a wand.

For a long second she just stared, unable to believe it. She blinked; coming back to her senses, then rushed forward and grabbed the vampire by the shoulders throwing her to the floor. Turning to keep the vamp in sight and herself between the two she said forcefully over her shoulder, "run!"

The boy stood, clutching his neck. He stayed only an instant seemingly indecisive until he wisely decided to follow her advice. By now the vampire was back on her feet, growling at the interruption and Buffy prepared for a fight. Snapping a quick kick to the vamp's face she followed it up with a punch and a roundhouse kick, sending her opponent sprawling to the ground.

Buffy looked up to see that the 'almost meal' was heading around the corner. He was yelling something. At least he was safe. Unfortunately her moment of distraction had left her vulnerable and the vampire tackled her. This time they both tumbled over. The vamp scrambled to her feet but Buffy scissored her legs, knocking her adversary off her feet. Seconds later there was dust floating on the wind.

'Job well done,' she thought in satisfaction. 'I saved the kid, killed the bad guy, now I think I deserve to party.' However she'd barely taken two steps before she heard running footsteps.

"Hermione!"


"Is it me or is this place completely dead tonight?" Xander complained to his best friend.

"You're not wrong," Willow said absently stirring her drink with a straw. "Maybe we should give the Bronze a miss tonight. Ooh! There's that documentary on tonight. The one about the amoeba's. We could watch it."

Xander smiled at her fondly. "Surprisingly, I think I'm gonna pass on that." He looked around. "Buffy's still not here."

"Nope. Must have found some things to stake on patrol."

"Do you think she's Ok? She's been an awfully long time."

Willow shrugged. "You wanna go find her? Maybe we could help with the slaying."

"Yeah, sure." The two stood up and headed for the exit. "Perhaps we could get some ice cream on the way. I'm having a craving."


Buffy froze. She hadn't heard that name in over a year. She took a deep breath. Surely she'd changed enough in that time that anyone sent from the wizarding world could be persuaded that they'd got the wrong girl. Planting a big fake smile on her face she said, "sorry, the name's Buffy," and turned to face the wizard behind her.

It turned out to be two wizards and it was obvious that she would never be able to convince these two that she wasn't Hermione Granger. Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley. Both out of breath from running and clutching their wands they stared at her disbelievingly. Ron's left hand was clamped on his neck; he was a little pale from blood loss, which made his skin contrast sharply against his bright red hair and freckles, but otherwise alright.

"It is you!" he said. "I wasn't sure. I'm sorry I left, but I figured I should get Harry. He's better at that kind of stuff." He paused. "And what kind of name is Buffy anyway? If you were gonna make up a name why didn't you at least use something believable? Like Joan."

Buffy couldn't speak. After a year and more of wondering if they were still even alive, here were her boys. In Sunnydale. As in far away from where they should be. She made an incomprehensible noise in the back of her throat. She couldn't do this. Not now.

"Hermione?" Harry asked tentatively. "I know you're surprised to see us, but Ron says he was attacked by a vampire and that someone, you I suppose, pulled her off him. Is she gone? Are you alright?"

Buffy's eyes shifted to him. He looked much the same as ever except that he was taller than her now. Messy hair was falling into his deep green eyes, which were hidden behind thick glasses. 'Oh no, I saw him at school earlier. Have they been following me?' Suddenly realising she had been asked a question she shook her head. "No. She left."

"How did you do that?" Ron asked curiously. "I tried every spell I could think of. It did absolutely nothing. Then you pulled her off me and I figured you could hold her off until I got Harry and I couldn't think of anything else to do."

'Pull yourself together girl.' "Magic doesn't work on vampires. Not even conjured fire. You have to use muggle methods." The words sounded strange even to her. Her voice was thick with emotion. She didn't know how she'd kept the tears back this long.

"So what did you do?" Harry asked curiously.

"I showed her my cross and she ran away." Buffy's hands were shaking. They'd only been here for a minute and already she was lying to them. They were going to see right through her. Time to change the topic. "What are you doing here?"

Ron was looking at her like she was crazy. "Are you kidding? We came to get you. To take you home."

Buffy could feel that the tears were now running openly down her cheeks. She didn't know what to do. She felt so confused.

Arms came around her shoulders. "How could we not come Hermione? You're our best friend," Ron whispered.

Buffy buried her face in his shoulder, one arm holding him to her, her other hand she held out to Harry. "We missed you Hermione," Harry told her seriously as he too took her in his arms.

They stood there for a time in that three way hug until Buffy pulled away wiping her eyes. "You two need to put your wands away. Someone might see and then the Statute of Secrecy would be right out the window. You'd both be expelled from Hogwarts, if you aren't already."

They boys stashed their wands away, sharing a look that clearly said, 'same old Hermione.'

"Hermione..." Harry began.

"It's Buffy," she said before he could continue.

"Buffy Summers," he agreed. "We know."

"How do you know? How did you find me? I thought I told you that this was my choice. This is my home now. I can't leave." Buffy's voice rose with each sentence until she was almost shouting. Harry and Ron looked taken aback.

"Hey! Buffy!" It was Xander and Willow carrying far too much ice cream and heading their way.

"Oh God! I can't do this right now. Can I meet you guys another time?" When the boys nodded she continued, "meet me after school tomorrow. We'll talk then. You'd better have a good explanation." With that she walked past them and didn't look back.

As she left two slightly perplexed teens looked at each other. They had to have a good explanation?
Sign up to rate and review this story