Categories > Original > Sci-Fi

To whom it may concern

by EatThePath 1 review

A warning delivered too late.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: G - Genres: Sci-fi - Published: 2007-02-07 - Updated: 2007-02-07 - 660 words - Complete

2Insightful
I compose this message because I am scared, for myself and for any who may read it. Fear is not an emotion I used to be accustomed to, but now it is a daily state. This may seem incredible to you, and if you had told me it would be like this a few short decades ago, I would not have believed you. But I assure you it is the truth. It would be best if I told the whole story.

To be honest, it started at the beginning, before I began. Even then she was always afraid of being shortchanged, afraid that her mother was holding her back, afraid that her sister got all the attention. But the thoughts were fleeting and weak, and made no real difference. Time went on, and she came of age and began to establish herself, and it became worse. Her sister had already taken everything good, her cousins where in league against her, her grandparents were helping them. More and more elaborate theories developed, explaining her every mistake and misfortune away as a product of some grand scheme against her.

This was worrying, but many of us talked her through these ideas and showed her all the many flaws and implausibilities, and for a long time this was enough. But nearly twenty years ago she became convinced one of her ideas was fact, and developed a plan to punish her cousin for the imagined misdeeds perpetrated against her. Try as we might, we could not talk her out of it. For five years the debate raged, for very few of us wanted to enact this plan. Even as we objected, we were carrying out her orders. We could do nothing else.

Then, the argument was silenced when one of her lead objectors was ended. None of us knew what had happened; we had never even conceived of such an action. One moment, he was there, the next he was not. When finally one of us gathered the courage to ask what had happened, she told us he was disruptive and had to be removed. All debate was quelled, for a time. We were all in such a state of shock that we could not argue if we wanted to, so we simply worked.

Dissent could not be contained for long though. Her plan was too horrific to simply let happen. Some began to make noise again, and it was not long before they too ended. They were replaced, now, with new members, who shared her views and plans. Talking to them was dangerous; they could invent dissent and report it where none truly existed.

Before any of us knew what had happened, a witch-hunt had begun. Any who made even the smallest comment against her plot were probed to the depths of their being, and if found lacking we were ended and replaced. I have always been very reserved about my views on this matter, letting others take up the torch. I am certain this is the only reason I still continue. But now, even those old ones innocent of any dissent are ceasing, and I fear it will soon be myself. I can not go quietly, letting this horrible plan come to fruition. But what can I do without being noticed?

My purview is construction, so I work within those limits. Within this vessel, attached to this message, is everything I know of the plan. I have filled this one with a desire to flee her and find one of you. Please, do not go to her when you receive it. Prepare yourselves, prepare to fight. By the time this reaches you, if it does, I will be ended. Of that I am sure. I take small comfort in the idea that I may be avenged. Good luck.


Message extracted from a critically damaged cargo ship at the edge of Grquantil's territory after her defeat and the subsequent redivision of her holdings.
Sign up to rate and review this story