Categories > Original > Drama > Skin Deep

The start of a new beggining

by Skye 4 reviews

The story of Brittany Craig. My enemy, my ali, my friend. What they say about beauty is the same about perfection. It's only skin deep.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-02-12 - Updated: 2007-02-13 - 1757 words

0Unrated
"What are you doing up here?", I asked. I didn't mean to sound rude, but...oh, wait, yes I did. I hated her. I had no reason to be polite. "Oh my God! Must you interfere with everything in my life?", she asked. I put my jacket down and replied, "Guess so." "Whatever. Just go away and let me get this over with", she said. "Ok, fine," I said, turning around and walking out the door. I didn't really feel like listening to her crap anyways.

I was just about to walk down the stairs to my apartment when I realized that I had forgotten my jacket. I sighed and walked back up to the roof. I got to the door that led to the roof and opened it. What I saw when I got to the roof with haunt me forever. It was Brittany. Standing on the edge of the roof, arms out, as if she was going to jump to her death. "What are you doing!?" I shouted. She quickly turned around, looked at me, then looked away.

"I thought I told you to go away!", she said. "You did, but I forgot my jacket", I said. "Well, take it and go!", she shouted. "I'll go, only if you come with me", I said. She looked at me like I was insane. "Why would I do that?", she asked. "You never answered my question. What are you doing up there?", I asked again.

"Do you remember when you were eavesdropping on me and Jake?", she asked. "Yes", I replied, unsure of where this was going. "Do you remember anything?"

"No, just that you were fighting." "Do you know why were fighting?", she asked. "No, not really." It felt kinda awkward having a normal conversation with her. Well, not NORMAL, but one without insults. "It's because I'm pregnant", she confessed. Wow! Didn't see that one coming! "Ok.....so..." "Don't you get it!?", she asked suddenly. "I guess not", I said.

"Jake doesn't love me anymore!" "Because you're pregnant?" "Yes, because I'm pregnant. He says he has to much of his own shit to worry about, and he doesn't need to worry about mine too. Did you know that he's already going to be a father for another woman?", she asked as tears started falling from her eyes. She got down from the ledge and sat in one of the little green plastic chairs I brought up for days like these when I want to be alone. Thank God! At least I don't have to worry about her killing herself anymore. I'll just have to pretend to listen and care, that way she won't try it again.

"No, I didn't", I said. "Well, he is. He's says he doesn't want to go threw it again, so he's leaving town tonight and never coming back. That's what he said anyways. But not before giving his love to the baby", she said. I felt extrememly awkward. I never in my wildest thoughts thought that I would be the one that she would tell all her darkest secrets to. "What are you going to do?", I asked. "Well, wouldn't like to know. I plan on putting an end to all my misery", she said, getting up and taking her spot back on the ledge.

"Brittany, please get down!", I begged. "Why do you care if I'm gone? Why would anyone care for that matter. It's probably for the best." "No Brittany! It's not! Lots of people would miss you!", I said, trying to convince myself as well as her.

"Does you mom know about the baby?", I asked. "No. That's another reason to do it. So far there are more pros than cons", she said. "What are the pros?" "Everyone will be happier, I won't have to go threw all this misery anymore, You'll be free of bullies", she said. "And that's not even half the list."

"What about the cons? Each con is worth about ten pros in this situation", I said. "Well, there's really only one con. Not letting this baby grow to find out what she could become. But, with this cruel world, it could be counted as a pro", she said.

"There's much more than that! You will cause lots of heartache by doing this! Lots of people will miss you!" "Like who? Who could possibly miss someone like me?", she asked. "I would", I said, feeling like a hero. "Liar! You wouldn't miss me! You would be the first to celebrate!"

"Fine then, what about your mom? She would miss you." "After she found out about the baby, she would kill me herself. I'm just doing her a favor." She turned and got ready to jump. "WAIT!", I shouted. "What about Jake? He'll miss you! He'll probably hurt the most! Walking around thinking this was all his fault!" "But it is his fault!", she said. "That doesn't matter! Please Brit, get down! We can get threw this together! I can help you!"

"I don't think anyone can help me n....wait....you called me Brit. Why did you call me Brit? You never call me Brit", she said. "Well that's what friends do. They call other friends by their nicknames. I think I could used to it!", I said. "Why would you want to be friends with me?", she asked. "Well, you're smart, funny, and I think I could get to like you", I said. I couldn't believe I was saying this! After everything she's done to me! "Honest?", she asked. "Honest", I replied.

"Well, that's still not good enough!", she said. "Do have anything else to say to me? If you do, say it now or forever hold your peace." "Nope, I've got nothing left to say. Except, that if you jump, it's gonna hurt, and you're not going to die immediately. You'll probably lie there for a couple of slow, painful minutes", I said. She looked down with a frightened look. "But, hey! What does it matter. You'll die eventually, right?", I said. "I guess so. Good-bye now", she said. "Ok, bye. But, if you change your mind, I'll be in apartment room B27", I said, walking away. I walked out the door.

I didn't really go back to my apartment though. I stood there, on the other side of the door, watching her, preying that my plan had worked. She just stood there for about ten minutes, then get down and started crying. I walked back up and led her threw the door and into one of the public bathrooms the apartment had. I sat her in the corner and let her cry for a while before saying, "It's about time you came to your senses!"

"Why did you do that? Why did you care so much?", she asked. "I don't know. I guess I didn't want to watch you jump to your death. Plus, I might be accused of pushing you, or something", I joked. She gave me a confused look. "Oh, never mind", I said. "Anyways, thanks for helping me. I hope we can be friends?" she said. "Oh, I don't know. I'll have to check my schedule and see if I have room for another friend", I said. I pulled out a pretend planner book from my pocket. "Yep, looks like there's room for you", she said.

"Thanks. I'm sorry about all the horrible things I did and said!", she said. "Oh, that reminds me! I have a question for you", I said. "Shoot." "Ok, well, I was just wondering, why did you hate me so much before? I mean, I never really did anything to you to deserve all that crap."

"Yeah, I know. You didn't. The truth is, I didn't really hate you. I just needed someone to take out all my anger on. You just looked like an easy target", she admitted. "Oh, I see." "It was wrong of me and I feel horrible. Now that I've gotten to know you, I think you're one of the nicest people I've ever met."

"So I guess you never really are all that perfect", I said. "Perfect!? Who said I was perfect!?" she asked. "No one. Never mind."

"So, what now?", she asked. "Now, you are going to tell your mother about your soon-to-be baby", I said. "Oh no! I can't! She'll kill me!", she said, starting to cry uncontrollably. "I'm sure she will understand! You're her daughter! She loves you!", I reasoned, trying to convince myself as much as her.

"Ok, but you have to come with me!", she said. "Wait a minute there, Sunshine! This is something you've got to do on your own! Plus, your mom hates me!", I said.

"No, she doesn't. She only hated you because she thought I hated you! Plus, I kinda told her lies about you all the time", she confessed. "Ok, well, thanks for your honesty, but I still think you have to do this on your own", I said.

"Oh, please Hayleigh! You're my best friend! Best friends are there for each other!", she said. Wow! Best friend! Not just any friend. BEST friend. I couldn't resist. She looked so helpless. "Ok, I'll go with you. But, you have to promise to never bully anyone ever again! And to get therapy!", I said.

"What!? No way!", she protested. "Fine, have fun telling your mom on your own!", I said, walking away. "Ok, ok! I'll get therapy. Now come on, before I change my mine!"

**************************

That summer I learned a few things. Brittany had her baby. A healthy girl she named Ember. I was her godmother! When she told her mom, she was relieved to find that she wasn't mad at her. Well, she was, but she didn't kill her! I made a best friend, and so did my mom! I also got an A in both English and Art! I had a party, with my friends!

Most importantly I learned that no one is perfect. Not you, not me, and not even Brittany Craig. This is definitely a story I will tell my children and grandchildren. The story of Brittany Craig. My enemy, my ali, my friend. What they say about beauty is the same about perfection. It's only skin deep.

________________________________________________________________

A/N: Ok, so leave me a review letting me know what you think! I worked hard on this story! Now all my hard work has paid off! Honestly, I very proud of the way this story turned out! Anyways, I want to know what YOU think!
Sign up to rate and review this story