Categories > Original > Drama > Skin Deep

Crying and Lying

by Skye 2 reviews

Then thing was, when I got up there, I wasn't alone. I had company. And who else could it be than Brittany Craig?

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-02-11 - Updated: 2007-02-11 - 1371 words

0Unrated
When I finally woke up, I wasn't at the park anymore. I was on a bed. I wasn't sure where. My eyesight was still a little fuzzy. When I looked down, I saw it. The puke green carpet that I absolutely loathed. I was in my room. But, how?

"Oh, Hayleigh! My sweet, sweet, baby! I'm so glad you're awake! I was so scared!", said my mother, running over to me, embracing me in a huge bear hug. "How did I get home, Mom?" I asked. "I drove over to the park and picked you up." she said, as if it was a no-brainer. "How did you know I was there?" I asked.

"You know that little boy that found you? Did you see him?"she asked. I replied with a short "Yes." "Well, he was your hairdressers little boy", she said. Oh, well, that's wonderful! That will be the talk of the whole school tomorrow! "Hey, did you hear about that Hayleigh girl? She passed out at the park and was found by her hairdresser!" And then they would all start laughing like a bunch of buffoons.

"Oh," I said quietly. "Well, how long have I been asleep?" I asked afraid to know the answer. "Only about an hour, but I wasn't going to let you go two! I was actually just about to ship you off to the hospital when you woke up. "Ok, thanks", I said. She gave me a small smile and left the room.
Once she left, I let my mind wonder. Why was Jake being such a jerk to Brittany? I bet it was because he finally came out and realized what a snobby, stuck-up, bitc...

"Hayleigh! Dinner is ready if you want any. It's chicken and rice", my mom shouted from down the hall. "Thank, you mom!" I said. I was planing on just going back to bed, but then my stomach starting demanding that I eat. So, I got out of bed and trudged down the hallway. I finally got to the kitchen, and sat down at the table. Man, that chicken sure looked good. I grabbed my fork and dug in.

"Well, someone's hungry today" said my mother with a hint of amusement in her voice. "Yeah, I'm starved. The chicken's great mom. Thanks" I said. I looked up at her and found that she was looking at me with a pained expression on her face.

"Hayleigh, I want you to tell me the truth. What happened today at the park?" She had done it. The question I had feared she would ask ever since I woke up, had just been asked. My mind instantly started searching for a believable story that didn't involve me getting the snot beat out of me by Brittany Craig.

"Well", I began. "I was sitting on the swings, just swinging, and....." "No, Hayleigh. Start at the beginning. Why didn't you ride the bus home?" I just sat there for a second. Then began my new story. "Well, you know how art isn't really my best subject. Well, I decided to stay after and work with Mr. Coolio on one of my recent projects", I lied. I really didn't like lying to my mother. But I didn't want her to have to worry about what Brittany might do to me while she's working. Then, she would quit her job and probably even follow me around all day. Not that I would mind that. I could use someone to talk to at lunch.

"Ok, go on", she encouraged me. I can't believe she was really buying this! "Well, I stayed after longer than I had planned, and I missed my bus. I didn't want you to have to leave work, so I just decided to walk. I was walking, and I saw that the park was only a few steps away, so I thought I would rest on one of the swings for a couple of minutes." My mom nodded, as if approving my story.

"So, I was swinging, and then these boys came over and started playing catch. One of them threw the ball, and it hit me right in the stomach, which made it very hard for my to breath, which then caused me to fall off of my swing." "And then you lost consciousness, right?", she asked. "Yes", I replied.

"Ok, that's all I wanted to know", said my mother, as if she was dismissing me from the table. I nodded and threw out the rest of my chicken and rice. I had lost my appetite after all that lying. I walked back to my room and changed into my pajamas. I then walked back to the living room, and turned on the TV. Soon after I had turned on the TV, my mom came in and sat with me. That's when I broke down. As if I hadn't done enough crying today! "Oh, baby, what's wrong?" asked my mom.

"I'm sorry, Mom! I didn't mean too! I just didn't want you to worry about me all the time! I'm sorry! I feel so horrible!", I sobbed. "What do you mean?" asked my mom. I looked at her and saw she had a confused look on her face. So, I began my story. The real story. From the beginning. Starting with 7th grade.
"And I didn't stay after to finish an art project! Brittany tricked me into staying after! She looked so pathetic and helpless! I can't believe I was so stupid!", I said.

"No, baby girl. It's not your falt. You were trying to help someone! You were doing a good thing, sweetie, and I'm proud of you", she said. She kissed me lightly on the forehead and I continued my story. "So, I began to walk home, and then I saw the park. So, I decided to sit and take a break. That much was true. As was sitting on the swing, I noticed Brittany fighting with her boyfriend, Jake. When Jake left, Brittany was just sitting there crying. I didn't know why, but I couldn't look away from her. So when she looked over at me, I was still staring."

"So then she started coming at me like a mad bull. So, I tried to run. But then she yelled, "Hey! Get back here!" So I stopped and turned around, facing her. I was tired of running away from her. Then, then next thing I know, she had slapped me, hard, across the face. Then I looked up and she told me not to ever eavesdrop on her conversations again. Then she kicked me. She told me I was weak, then kicked me again. Then she left. That's when Megan's boy found me"

"Thank you for telling me the truth", she said. I couldn't help but ask "Did you know I was lying before?" Then she looked at me and said "Yes."

"How?" I asked. "Many reasons. First, your nose twitches when you lie. Second, you were way to far away from the swing to have fallen from it, and third, Megan's boy had watched the whole thing from the merry-go-round", she said. "So, you knew all along", I said, more as a statement than a question. "Yes, I did."

"I'm sorry I lied. I just didn't want you to worry", I said. "Oh, honey babe, I will always worry. It's my job to constantly worry about my baby girl", she said. "Now, if you can excuse me, I have to go take a shower." She kissed my one more time on the forehead, then headed to the bathroom. I decided to take a walk and get some fresh air while she was in the shower. I got my jacket and walked out the door. I walked down the hallway, waving to Mrs. Harold, and up to the roof.

I loved it up there. It was a place where I could be alone and let my mind free. The only thing was, when I got up there, I wasn't alone. I had company. And who else could it be than Brittany Craig?

________________________________________________________________

A/N: Ok, so this one is a little bit longer! Anywho, one more chapter left for this story! Woo-hoo!
Sign up to rate and review this story