Categories > Original > Drama > Skin Deep

The Journey Home

by Skye 1 review

"Oh my God, Jake! My mother is going to kill me if she finds out! Which she will!" I looked over to the left past the big red slide. Sitting beneath a tree were Jake and Brittany.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-02-10 - Updated: 2007-02-10 - 1030 words

0Unrated
"Hayleigh! I need you help!", the voice said again. I stopped, and looked around. There was no one else in the hallway. "Hayleigh!" said the voice. I had heard the voice before, but I couldn't remember where. I slowly walked into the bathroom. As a came around the corner, I saw Brittany. The moment I saw her, I turned and walked away.

"No Hayleigh! Please! Don't go! I need your help!", she shouted. I turned and walked back into the bathroom. I had left so soon that I hadn't how pathetic she looked. I just stood there, and stared. She slowly tilted her head, looking at the floor, as she whispered, "Please." I think I even saw a tear! I just stood there, flabbergasted. I had no idea what to do. I slowly walked over to her, and gave her my hand.

She took it, just as the bell rang. Great! I had missed my bus! I slowly pulled her up to her feet. What she did next was absolutely cruel. She gave me a huge smile and skipped out the door. But, not before saying, in her fake sweet voice, "Thanks for your help Hayleigh! I feel so much better now!"

My eyes got wide and a clenched my fists. That stupid wench didn't need my help! She just wanted me to miss my bus! I could see my face turning red in the mirror. I walked over to the wall by the sinks and grabbed as many paper towels as a could hold. I threw half of them angrily, and I started to rip and tear at the other half, try to empty myself of the anger and hatred that had welled up inside me. The funny thing was, I wasn't angry at Brittany. I was angry at my own stupidity. How could I be so stupid?

When I had ripped the paper towel into as many little pieces as I could, I threw myself into the corner and cried. I cried and cried and cried. I cried until I had no more tears left. Once my tears were gone, a got up and rinsed my face off with cold water, and walked out of the bathroom. I began my walk home. My ten mile walk home! I would just ask for a ride, but the only other people here are Brittany and her mom. I am definitely NOT desperate enough for that. I probably never will be either.

As I walked, I began to wonder what would happen when I got home. Then I realized that I didn't need to wonder. I already knew what would happen. Mom run up to me and embrace me a giant bear hug, saying "Oh, Hayleigh! My sweet, sweet, baby! I'm so glad you're home!" Then she would demand an explanation. I would sit there for a while, then just break down and start crying.

It seems I do a lot of that lately. Crying. I sometimes wish I was immune to tears. That my eyes eventually dried up, and I could never cry again. I also wish a had a punching bag shaped like Brittany. I think I'll ask for one of those for Christmas.

Honk! Honk!

"Hey! Get out of the way! Do you wanna be roadkill!?" I was so rapped up in my own thoughts that I wasn't watching where I was going. I shook my head, and ran over to the side walk as the car drove off. I stopped to look around and check out my surroundings, find out where I was. Then I saw it. The playground. I never really had many feelings for that playground, but right now I did. Love. I loved that playground! That playground meant that I was half way home! That's I realized that my feet were killing me.

I walked over to the swings, and sat there. Swinging back and forth. I never realized how much fun swinging is. Feeling the wind blow threw your hair. The feeling of freedom. I looked over to the big oak tree. When I did, I saw Brittany and Jake.

It looked like she was crying. REALLY crying. "I'm really sorry, Brit, but I'm not going threw this again! I have to go now." said Jake. "Are you leaving me?" asked Brittany. "Sorry babe, but it's over. I have plenty of my own shit to worry about. I don't need yours too." Wow, that was pretty harsh. I watched as Jake got up and walked across that street to his house. Brittany just sat there, bawling.

I didn't actually realize that I was staring until she looked over at me. I tried to run away, but she had already seen me. "Hey! Get back here!" she yelled

I stopped, turned, and stared. I watched her as she came charging at me like a bull. She kept coming closer and closer. I just stood there. Trying to decide what to do. Should I run, or stay there? I stood there arguing with myself until it was too late. She walked right up to me and SMACK! She slapped me right across the face. I fell to the ground, holding the side of my face.

I looked up to she her looking down at me. "Don't ever go eavesdropping on my conversations again you little worthless flea bag!" she yelled. Luckily for me, there wasn't anyone else around. "Are you listening to me!?" she asked. "Honestly, it's kinda hard not to!" I replied. Bad move. Her face got red with anger and she kicked me, hard, in the side.

I let out a shriek of pain. A satisfied smile crept onto her face. "You're weak!" She spat. Then, with one more kick in the side, she walked away. I stayed awake long enough to see a small boy running towards me yelling "Mommy! This girl is dying!" I wanted so badly to tell him that I wasn't dying, and it would be ok. But, I bearley got out the words "I'm ok" before all consciousness was drained from my body
________________________________________________________________

A/N: Sorry this chapter is so short! Hopefully the next one will be longer!
Sign up to rate and review this story