Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Thirty-Nine: Dragon Tamer's Wrath

by Giroro5X 1 review

Enjoy the new chapter. Anyone reading this?

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-02-25 - Updated: 2007-02-25 - 4662 words

0Unrated



Roses of the Valley

Chapter Thirty-Nine: Dragon Tamer's Wrath



Seung pressed his foot firmly to the ground, sliding it forward as he set his palms before him, facing down. Closing his eyes, he listened to the silent words of the earth beneath him.

Every moment offered a different feeling, the general's jin rippling like the surface of a pond during a storm. Between the drops of uncertainty he discovered the opportunity he had been waiting for, his eyes opening suddenly.

Groaning lowly he felt the tension in his wrists, his fingers growing stiff as he began to lift them.

Dust and soil began to shift upon the surface before him, rising with his hands to form a thick blanket of cover.

Recognizing the signal, the Gouishi riders sprang forward. Feng and Enlai remained at the head of the group, an earthbender balancing carefully at the rear of each saddle.

Between them was Gang, riding Boots with an expression of intimidating delight. Aiguo watched from over his shoulder, feeling the rise and fall of the komodo rhino as it charged.

Enlai lifted the glaive over his head, squinting as he entered into the field of dust. Struggling to recognize the forms of the Fire Nation soldiers surrounding him, he lashed his weapon out wildly. Feeling a sudden weight upon it as it plunged into the enemy, he pressed on.

Feng closed his eyes, entrusting the navigation to his steed. Sound was his guide, using the confused voices and the barking of panicking soldiers to direct his blade. His sword rose and fell like the lightest of birds, blood spattering through the air as he continued.

The veil of dust offered an incredible advantage, yet no force could render the Earth Kingdom forces invulnerable. The sheer number of Fire Nation soldiers led some of the riders into inescapable odds, their cries piercing through the screen of earth.

"Left, right and foremost squads! I want a steady advance of fire, now!" Norio yelled out to those before him, his heart pounding. A simple word passed through his head, one he was determined to evade and perhaps turn upon the enemy.

Massacre.

"Now!" Seung barked, his foot pumping hard against the ground as he launched himself toward the battle. Several squads hurried to their designated marks, each made up of earthbenders, soldiers and one of Wen Lan's firebending guards.

Bo led the foremost squad, his eyes narrow as he watched the edge of the veil for Fire Nation soldiers that had escaped its cover.



Whatever excited sweat his palms could have produced would have evaporated instantly, his fingers feeling as if they would combust at any moment. A terrifying joy coursed through his every vein, each sense heightened by ecstasy as he bathed in the challenge before him.

Where one would anticipate fear his opponent had found an inexplicable calm, the potency of his determination ruling out any possibility of intimidation. With careful focus he guarded his movements, his body moving with a speed that could only have been produced through the practice of dodging lightning.

Kano's right fist shot forward, a powerful stream of fire launching from it. Without pause he slammed his opposite foot forward, the alternate fist offering the very same attack.

Jung refused to give ground, evading each as he rushed toward the admiral. Growing closer he lashed his right arm out in a powerful swing.

With an amused chortle the firebender ducked, his left palm stabbing up toward the Demon's throat.

The warrior continued to turn his upper body to the right, the momentum building as his left hand grasped the approaching wrist of his opponent. A burst of interrupted flame dissipated harmlessly into the air as soon as it had formed. Tightening his grip on the admiral's wrist, he ceased his rotation as his left elbow thrust toward his adversary's jaw.

Understanding his wrist to be a prisoner, Kano bent back to avoid the blow. His eyes darted toward the mask, a sadistic grin spread over his face. His mouth opened wide, his tongue hanging out as he sucked in a breath.

Recognizing the movements from a technique Bo had used earlier, Jung released the wrist as he dove to the side just as a thick jet of fire burst forth from the admiral's mouth. Slamming his foot against the ground to stop himself from sliding, he glared at his opponent.

"Ironic," he began with an amused chuckle. "That I use the trademark technique of a man I loathe in combat." Brushing off a bit of dust from his armor, he maintained his smirk. "Well then, shall we?"

The Demon sprang forward, wanting nothing more at the moment than to smash open the admiral's jaw in the hope that it would at least temporarily silence him.

Kano grinned as he stepped into his stance, his hand launching forth as he prepared to send another burst of fire. His eyes widened slightly as he realized a miscalculation in his prey's speed.

Jung's fist slammed hard against Kano's, the burning heat of the sadistic conqueror's knuckles penetrating the bandages covering his own. Ignoring the sensation, he pulled his hand back in preparation for another attack.

His fist uncurled, a subtle irritation passing over him as he realized that his opponent had noticeably improved his speed since their last encounter. Stepping back, he lifted his alternate fist to reattempt the attack.

Offering him no opportunity, the warrior smacked the same fist against the admiral's.

The two entered into an impressive rhythm, Kano stepping back and thrusting a fist forward in an attempt to firebend, the Demon pressing forward with equal speed as his left fist kept swatting the technique aside. No matter what speed the admiral moved at, Jung maintained the short distance between them.

Growling lowly Kano stomped his foot hard against the ground, obliterating the even tempo at which the two had been moving. His right hand formed a claw, thrusting hard toward the Demon's stomach.

In one fluid motion the warrior swung his right leg out, pressing his foot loosely to the ground to Kano's right. His right arm swung over the admiral's head, his hand firmly grasping his cape as it lowered behind him. Sidestepping his opponent, he dug his feet firmly and quickly into the ground. Bringing his left hand to the cape, he pulled hard upon it.

Shock coursed through him as he realized the Demon to have passed him, his eyes growing wide as he felt a tremendous force pull at him from behind. Feeling the ground slip from beneath his feet he clenched his teeth.

Jung swung his enemy into the air, maintaining his grip as he prepared to slam him back against the ground.

Growling, Kano twisted his body wildly as he lashed his forearm against a portion of the cape. He nearly lost his balance as he landed a distance away from the Demon, the remains of his cape smoldering.

The warrior released the section of cloth he had held onto, a light smoke trailing off of its edge as it fell gently to the ground.

"That cape was a personal favorite of mine," the admiral growled lowly, more infuriated by his opponent's resilience.

Bearing no favor for his prattle, Jung prepared to rush the enemy once again.

No longer entertained by the fight, Kano motioned to end it. Stepping into a wide stance he waved both arms to one side. A sliver of fire formed before him, twisting and shifting according to the movements of his body.

The warrior slowed his advance, the eyes beneath the mask narrowing as he noticed the form before him.

A thick column of fire twisted around the admiral's body, taking the form of a long dragon. Its jaw opened as it formed, released a powerful silent roar.

Draped in its form Kano grinned, his eyes conveying a psychotic glee.

In the Kun valley, surrounded by roses and rage, a story to be shared for ages was birthed. Beneath the morning sky two creatures of legend did battle; a dragon of fire and a Demon of War.



"Only four," Yakone sighed, slightly disappointed by his role in the battle.

He sat at the very center of the street, two firebenders frozen to the building to his left with another pair just beside him.

"Ah well," he muttered as he brought himself back to his feet. Tilting his head to the side he cracked his neck. "They probably need my help by now." Smirking, the teenager made his way calmly down the street.

The tension snapped as Wen Lan thrust her leg forward, her foot landing squarely against a soldier's stomach. She quickly kicked back, her heel digging into the hip of a firebender who had deemed it wise to attack her from behind.

Realizing the girl before them to be more a threat than they had anticipated, the soldiers advanced upon her from all sides.

Her body spun with trained grace, her leg lashing out against two firebenders; her eyes narrowed as she noticed a spear stabbing toward her legs, leaping to evade it. Kicking her legs out to either side, she kicked firmly into the throats of two soldiers who had seen fit to take advantage to what they had deemed a vulnerable position.

She landed upon the spear she had previously dodged, snapping off the head. Watching the attacker stumble back her body became still, anticipating the next offense.

Shui stepped back, his hands moving quickly to deflect the barrage of his attacker. His mind searched quickly through that which Bo had taught him, grasping for the appropriate course of action against such an intense advance. Realizing the technique, he narrowed his eyes as his next step brought him into a powerful stance, one meant to halt any oncoming force. His left hand wrapped quickly over the soldier's wrist, his body turning to the left as his right hand punched forward.

The soldier felt a powerful blow against his stomach, falling to the ground as consciousness slipped away.

He felt the strength the stance provided him, a tremendous power in his legs as he stepped forward to greet each attack. His left hand intercepted a soldier's elbow, his right fist following the movement with a punch to the enemy's throat.

His confidence slipped as he recognized two firebenders standing just out of reach. They reared their fists back, stepping forward with cold precision as two bursts of fire tore toward him.

The teenager's stance widened, looking to the ground as he took in a deep breath. His forearms lifted, feeling the power of the fire as it washed briefly over them. Swinging his arms to opposite sides, the attacks faded into the air.

The firebenders simply stared, having no idea that earthbending rendered such a feat possible.

"Traitor," the squad leader stared with wide eyes, realizing the nature of the situation. "Kill him! Kill the traitor!" he barked angrily. He had more than enough forces at his disposal to deal with the two pests, wishing that they would simply surrender.

Shui glared as he watched the soldiers draw closer, his eyes darting from side to side. Suddenly he stepped into another stance, his fingers aiming carefully as his hands slipped back and forth, two fingers pointed toward the throat of each soldier.

Tiny bursts of flame shot rapidly through the air, catching at the cloth just beneath the helmet of the firebenders. Swatting wildly to put it out they fell victim to two intense streams of fire, the teenager rushing forward.

"Burn it down," the commander grunted lowly, waving his arm out to a small group of firebenders.

Without question they obeyed, turning to a nearby building. In unison they pushed their fists forward, fire springing toward the building and catching at its roof. Turning to face their next target, they marched forward.

One of the firebenders stopped as he heard a familiar hissing; the sound of fire giving way to steam. Turning his attention quickly upward, his eyes grew wide beneath the helmet.

Yakone crouched upon the roof, steam rising up from black scorch marks around him. Nearby lay the remains of a porcelain jar, bits of water still collected amongst its fragments.

The other firebenders turned their attention toward the teenager, shocked by the presence of a Water Tribe member.

The waterbender lifted a finger, shaking it from side to side as a confident grin spread over his face.



"There," Gang grinned as they reached the opposite end of the cloud of dust.

The Fire Nation had hindered their advantage, the outermost forces pressing forward in a steady approach of fire that severely limited the effectiveness of the riders.

Aiguo leaped from Boots' saddle, sliding along the ground as he turned toward the cloud. Setting himself into a solid stance he thrust both arms up, a thin pillar of earth springing up from the ground behind him.

Enlai and Feng emerged from the dust, blood trailing from their weapons as traces of it stained their clothes and rhinos. The earthbender each had escorted leapt from their steeds, hurrying to take Aiguo's side.

Recognizing the signal, Seung mimicked the technique. A thin column rose from behind him, reaching toward the sky. Widening his stance he narrowed his eyes, his arms positioned at his hips. An earthbender stood to either side of him, copying the motion as they prepared to unleash the strategy the general had developed.

Bo kept at the head of his group, the firebending guards deflecting the attacks of those soldiers who had been fortunate enough to escape the blanket of dust. Earthbenders hurried out from the cloak of the nearby forest where they had been ordered to wait. As the old firebender motioned his hand out the earthbenders took their positions, recognizing the distant signals of Seung and Aiguo.

The general felt his body tremble as he lifted his arms forward, concentrating carefully as the riders bought him time.

In unison the earthbenders repeated the motion, the ground shaking as it rose before them. The escalation was slow, beads of sweat forming over the soldier's brows as they concentrated.

A short while later they ceased the motion, the earthbenders breathing deeply as they marveled at that which lay before them. Sparing no opportunity for pride, Seung hurried toward the structure. With precise focus he leapt to the side, his fingers clinging hard to the rock surface as he scaled it.

The general landed atop the wall, a victorious surge pumping through him as he surveyed the success of the tactic.

The dust settled slowly, visibility returning to Norio. His eyes went wide with horror as he realized the scenario they had found themselves in.

Kano's preliminary invading force had been trapped within the confines of a tall wall of rock and soil. Searching desperately for any means of escape, he stared up toward the general.

"They did it," Enlai grinned as he looked out over their handiwork.

"Indeed." Beneath the cloth that concealed the lower half of his face Feng wore a proud smile.

"Feh, not enough fighting." Gang grumbled as he looked out over the wall, hoping that he would see more combat in the climactic battle.

"Earthbenders!" Seung called out the order, lifting his hand to the sky.

The earthbenders scaled the wall carefully, looking out over the Fire Nation forces as they readied themselves for the next stage of the fight. Facing toward the steep slope of the mountain they widened their stances, their fists lifted to face it.

"Fire!" the general ordered as he lowered his hand, ducking to evade a stream of fire that had been launched in his direction.

At once the earthbenders tensed, their bodies straining as they tore chunks of earth from the face of the mountain. With careful balance they pulled them toward the interior of the cage they had formed, dropping them.

Norio dove off of his komodo rhino as a slab of rock slammed against its spine, the beast crying out in unfathomable pain. He watched as the sections of earth rained upon his forces, obliterating those who had the misfortune of standing beneath. Those who had mustered the bravery or foolishness to attack shot fire toward the earthbenders, their attacks unsuccessful save one or two fortunate attempts.

Silently, every ounce of his spirit cursed the traitor Kano for sending them to their deaths. Hopefully, he looked in the direction his forces had marched from.

"...Oh," Enlai stared toward the forest, his eyes going wide.

"What's wrong?" Gang looked up at the rider curiously, following his eyes to understand that which had perturbed him. A slight grin crept over his face.

"Lieutenant Aiguo," Feng beckoned the earthbender's attention.

"What is..." he turned quickly, his voice trailing off as he recognized that which had caught their attention. Instinctively he stepped toward the column of earth he had summoned, thrusting both fists into it. It shook for a moment, crumbling to the ground around him.

Seung squinted, hurrying along the wall to try and catch a better view of what lie beyond the opposite side as the earthbenders continued to launch volleys of rock from the mountain.

"Cease the attack!" he yelled out, lifting his hand as he recognized that which had alarmed Aiguo. His eyes searched quickly through the soldiers within the wall for the admiral's face, clenching his teeth as he realized himself to be once again victim to his treachery.

Feng and Enlai narrowed their eyes, gripping their weapons as their subordinates rode to their side.

Boots growled lowly as Gang stared excitedly toward the challenge.

Aiguo stood ready, the Earth Kingdom soldiers who had made their way to the far side of the wall coming to him.

Seung watched bitterly as his mind raced to form a proper strategy; his earthbenders were at least partially exhausted from the effort of raising the wall and pulling from the mountain. The wall itself served to divide his forces, making communication difficult and stretching his resources. The advantage of the battleground had changed hands.

Norio breathed a sigh of relief, understanding the cause of the general's alarm.

A secondary invasion force marched toward them, at least twice as large as the first. The Trident Campaign had lent ample resources to Kano; he intended to utilize every last one.



Shui's arms moved swiftly, the armor draping his forearms peeling from the constant deflection of fire. Stepping past one soldier he lifted his right leg back, a burst of flame launching up from it. His right hand clasped the fist of a firebender attempting to attack him, twisting it behind his back in one fluid motion. Kicking the firebender away, he struck his elbow back into the throat of a soldier.

His right arm moved quickly to swat aside an incoming spear, his left striking against the attacker's chest as flames washed over it. Turning to meet the advance of three soldiers, his eyes went wide as a sudden blast of water knocked them aside. Glancing in the direction of its source, a mild irritation ran through him.

"In over your head?" Yakone grinned as he turned his upper body quickly, his palms motioning toward a nearby roof. The jar stirred slightly before bursting, its contents spilling out over a group of soldiers beneath. Taking a deep breath he breathed out slowly, his palms extending gradually before him. The soldiers slowed quickly, freezing in place.

Refusing the waterbender the satisfaction of a response, Shui moved quickly to intercept his next opponent. His movements were fast, the desire to show up his rival inspiring a new energy. Stepping back he alternated between kicks and punches, each emitting another streak of flame.

Yakone's hands shifted rapidly, curving and twisting as a stream of water struck against the helmets of approaching soldiers. Drawing the water back to him he gathered it into a circle, his hands extending suddenly as sharp slivers of ice tore forward against his attackers.

Wen Lan ducked beneath a soldier's blade, her left hand lashing out against his chest. Her gaze darted to her right, ducking as a firebender set forth a burst of fire. Standing, she brought her left leg up to kick against his chest, the bender buckling over. Slamming her fist down against his head, she turned to face another. Sidestepping an attack she gripped his arm before twisting it, lifting her foot to kick him away.

Her robes moved gently against her as she turned her body, shifting with every motion as she met the attempts on her life with graceful ferocity. For every strike she offered a block, for every blade and ember an evasion.

A soldier lashed his arm out at her, feeling her palm press against his wrist as she lifted his hand to the sky. Her right hand struck out against his stomach, immediately following it with a hit to the throat. Knocking him back, she turned to greet her next opponent.

His spear lashed out quickly toward her legs, slicing barely against her thigh as she leapt up to dodge. He shifted his hands to bring the blade up against her chest, the effort thwarted by a rapid strike of the palm to his jaw.

"C'mon," Yakone growled lowly, the soldiers beginning to overwhelm them. Quickly his eyes darted from roof to roof, searching for another jar. The Fire Nation forces gave him no opportunity for such, advancing upon the waterbender before he could motion toward such resources.

Shui glared, his arms moving quickly as he deflected a constant barrage of fire. The armor that made up his gauntlets had been completely stripped away, his forearms feeling the burning heat of the fire before it dissipated to either side of him. His teeth clenched as he felt something press against his back, glancing back quickly to find it was the waterbender.

"What do we do now?" Yakone growled lowly, desperation destroying the pride that would typically prevent him from asking for any advice from the firebender.

"Fight," he said simply, straining to maintain his defense as the firebenders drew closer.

Wen Lan brought her leg down, her heel slamming upon the back of a soldier's head. Turning toward another, she grasped his wrist as his fist sailed toward her head. Her eyes focused, twisting the wrist as the firebender released a sharp cry of anguish. Her right leg shot up, her foot landing squarely against his chest. Releasing the wrist, she brought her left knee up into the enemy's stomach to knock him back.

She felt a sudden slice against her back, a painful gasp escaping her lips as she lurched forward. Her body twisted hard to the right, her right leg slamming up against her assailant's head. Dodging to the side she barely evaded another strike, a cut forming over her arm. Her hands moved quickly to deal with the threat, her palm striking against a soldier's throat.

Dodging back quickly, her hands moved to divert what shots she could while evading others. Before long she found her back to the wall of a building, a squad of soldiers brandishing their weapons as they surrounded her.

Narrowing her eyes she took her stance once more, wincing slightly as she became increasingly aware of the long cut on her back. Tension coiled through her once more as she waited for one of the soldiers to make a move.

A rough chuckle sounded out from atop the roof.

Curiosity filled her eyes, searching amongst the soldiers for who had emitted the sound. Realizing the source to be above her, she glanced up.

The soldiers looked quickly, stepping back as the figure leaped toward them. Gripping their weapons they pointed them toward the stranger, unsure as to whether to regard her as hostile or not.

The warrior landed in a crouching position, fist pressed to the ground.

Wen Lan simply stared, having little idea how to fathom the spectacle before her. She maintained her stance, the stranger's position giving her the impression that they stood against the Fire Nation.

"Looks like I got here just in time for some fun," Ryoko grinned, rising to face the soldiers before her.



The dragon launched forward, the sound of flames ripping against the air from the tremendous speed forming the dragon's roar. It rose swiftly into the sky before cutting toward the Demon.

Jung reared his upper body back slightly before lashing his shield out, butting it directly against the fire beast's snout. The power of Kano's technique took him off guard, his balance faltering slightly.

Almost instantly the dragon reformed, turning with incredible speed before motioning to bite the warrior's arm.

He turned rapidly to face the beast, the shields waving quickly through the air as he made a steady retreat. Each step offered another hit to the creature's head, only to have it recollect and continue its advance without hindrance.

Ducking to evade, Jung dove past the dragon as it passed overhead. Landing in a crouching position he looked out over the field to determine Kano's position.

"Looking for me, Demon?" an amusement weighed at his words as he stabbed his hand toward his opponent's head, his fingers feeling as if they would explode from the heat coursing through them.

The warrior leapt back, dodging barely as a wave of flame erupted from the admiral's hand. It slashed against the ground, the fauna in its path burning instantly.

"On your feet Demon! Wouldn't want to be caught off guard, would you?!" he cackled maniacally as he slid back into his stance, his fingers positioning carefully as he regained control of the fading dragon. Almost instantly it regained its ferocity, shooting back toward Jung with incredible force. The Dragon Tamer had earned his name through mastery of the technique, demonstrating the fact with every motion.

The Demon dove once again, rolling quickly to his feet as the dragon came in to attempt a second strike. Springing forward he sidestepped it, his feet pounding against the ground as he rushed toward the admiral. His legs froze beneath him, realizing himself to be victim of a trap as he witnessed the sadistic smile decorating his adversary's face.

Turning his upper body quickly, he slammed his left shield against the dragon with such force that it burst into embers. Within a moment he realized the victory not to be of his own hand, but to merely be Kano's will.

Jung felt his mask slip loose, a burning touching at the back of his head as the cloth binding his disguise to his face was burnt away. His left hand rose up quickly, pressing the mask to his face instinctively.

The admiral cackled maniacally, bringing his knee up toward his prey's stomach.

The warrior lifted his right shield, sliding back as he deflected the blow. Pressing the mask to his face he brought his gaze up to his opponent.

"I must admit, Demon! I've always possessed a burning curiosity as to what it is that lies beneath that mask of yours!" a sadistic fascination filled his eyes, his lips lifting into a disgusting smirk. "Yet now...Now, though...There's something I'm more interested in discovering."

Jung glared, his grip on the mask tightening.

"Which do you value more...The pride of that mask, or your life?" his voice grew into a loud growl as he neared the end of the inquiry, his body taking on a fluid grace as he reenacted the technique that had summoned his dragon.

Taken off guard, the Demon could only move slightly before the dragon had fallen upon him, his shields lifting in a desperate attempt to protect him from its wrath.

Kano laughed wildly, his heart pounding with excitement as he watched the flames spiral around his prey, climbing toward the sky as the grass and flowers surrounding them died away.

Beneath the morning sun and surrounded by roses, the Demon of War had died.
Sign up to rate and review this story