Categories > Original > Fantasy > The New and Unexpected

Nothing New at All...

by FaerieWings16 1 review

Natalie and Julianne both have some special powers. Aly has eyes that can see into the soul and look into the past, present, and future, and Jules can hear peoples thoughts. But what happens when...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, Sci-fi - Published: 2007-03-10 - Updated: 2007-03-10 - 1057 words

1Original
I have one chocolate brown eye and one violet eye. My brown eye can see into the depths of a persons soul and sense when truth is being told, but my purple eye is a little different. With this eye, I can see the past, present, and future.
"What are you thinking about?" Jules, my best friend, asked. She was always asking me this question because I was the only person she couldn't 'hear'. When I say hear, I mean that she can't hear my thoughts, as she can with everyone else she knows.
"My eyes." I replied.
"Remind me again why you wear that color contact." she said, though I knew she already knew the answer.
"How many times have I told you? I don't want to draw attention to myself with two different colored eyes." I reminded her.
"Yeah, yeah. Hey, what are we doing next, in 7th?" Jules asked. I rolled my eyes and answered, "I don't know."
"Aw, come on Aly, please check so I know if I should bring my binder. Please?!" she begged.
"I don't want to Julianne." I complained.
"Please Natalie, please?!?" Jules insisted on continuing. I sighed as I gave in, "Only for you Jules." I concentrated on my violet eye, though hidden by a brown contact, and looked into the next hour. Note taking, that's it, no binder necessary, but I may as well have some fun.
"So?" she asked noticing the glazed look leaving my eye.
"She's doing a surprise binder check first thing." I told her.
"You have no idea how lucky you are Aly, nothing would be a surprise for you. You could even cheat on major tests by looking to see what the questions will be!" Jules said, exasperated.
"That's only if I choose to do those things, but me being the honest and moral person that I am, decide not to." I commented.
"Uh-huh, well, I'd better go get that binder, see you in science." she said and walked off. I watched her leave, amused. By our looks, no one would guess we were best friends. Jules is very girly and I prefer hanging with the guys. But when I first met her, I knew she was loyal, fun, and would make a great firend. Her being curious as to why I was the only one with a mind she can't read, she reached out to me. Best friends ever since. She's the only one, besides my mentor, who knows about my special eyes. Speaking of my mentor, I haven't heard from him lately, perhaps I can pay Carson a visit tomorrow. I could check now, just to see what he's doing, but that would be an invasion of privacy.
"Hey Aly, come on, we're going to be late if we just stand here." Jacob, another great friend, said grabbing my arm and dragging me downt he hall.
"Huh? Why were you just standing there?" I asked confused and took a small glance back to realize he had been standing there for about two minutes.
"Because it's fun watching you when you go off into you're own world. You completely zone everything out around you. I swear I called your name ten times before having to drag you out of it." he answered. We arrived at Mrs. K's room just in time, and took our regular seats. I saw Jules sitting there, frantically searching through her binder and I had to hold back a laugh. She glanced over at me and noticed the grin on my face, then realized I had brought nothing but my agenda which contained paper and a pen in the spiral binding.
"Okay class, today we're just taking some notes, and then you can have some free time." Mrs. K announced, turning on the overhead. Jules turned and scowled at me, I just smiled.
"That wasn't funny Aly." she whispered.
"What are you talking about Jules?" I asked innocently. Jake was looking on confused.
"You know perfectly well what I'm talking about Natalie!" she exclaimed quietly. I smirked at her and then started on the long notes the teacher had left us. Fifteen minutes later, the three of us had all finished and were planning to get together sometime this weekend.
"Why not today? I have nothing going on after school and my mom doesn't mind me being out too late." I said.
"Yeah, we could hang out at the mall." Jules suggested, but frowned when she turned to Jake.
"Sorry guys, I have baseball practice." he said. Jules rolled her eyes and complained, "You always have baseball practice."
"Do not!" he poorly defended himself.
"Do too!" Jules responded. I sighed and said, "Shut up, you guys are going to give me a headache. How about Jules and I go to the mall and hang out today, and then we can all see a movie tomorrow night?" They both grumbled a bit but eventually agreed. The bell rang and we all went out separate ways to the lockers. Down at the bus circle, I met up with Jules, who had an excited look on her face.
"I cannot wait until Monday!" she exclaimed. Not being in the mood to see why, I asked, "Why?"
"We're getting two new male students! Can you believe out luck? They're starting on Monday. Although the secretary didn't seem to happy about it." she told me.
"Oh joy." I said, not too interested.
"Perhaps you could, you know, see what they look like." Jules said with a hopeful glint in her eye. I sighed, I hated doing this, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to see. Focusing once again on the violet eye, I saw nothing. Nothing new at all on Monday.
"Jules, your information must be wrong, I don't see anything that has to do with two new students." I told her.
"What? But the secretary was clearly thinking about them!" she exclaimed. I was now confused.
"I don't know Jules, I'll talk to Carson about it tomorrow." I said. This had never happened to me before.
"Okay, well, my mom's over there. I'll see you at the mall in about an hour." she said and ran off. I'm guessing she thought I was just joking around again. I spent my walk home pondering as to why I couldn't see these two boys.
Sign up to rate and review this story