Categories > Original > Humor > Five Minute Soap Dish

Week 14

by johmichaels 0 reviews

Steve has to do some quick thinking in order to keep both Evelyn and....her friend who's name he can't remember.

Category: Humor - Rating: PG - Genres: Humor, Romance - Published: 2007-03-31 - Updated: 2007-03-31 - 1069 words - Complete

0Unrated
Week 14

Steve was left with the feeling, after waiting for half an hour, that he had been stood up. But, with his determined, never say die attitude, he wasn't able to give up yet. He tapped his cutlery against his wine glass, checked his watch again, before the waiter came over.
"The manager wants to know if you'll be dining soon, sir."
"Ten minutes, no, twenty minutes. If she hasn't turned up in ten, I'll find a new dinner guest by twenty," Steve said with a grin, seeing the waiter, instead of smiling back, look a bit surprised, "What is it?"
"Angry woman behind you sir," the waiter said, quickly walking off.
Steve turned around to see Evelyn, though he did not recall her name at that time. He quickly got up, and pulled up the chair on the opposite side of the table.
"I'm so glad you were able to make it. I thought for a second you-" he began.
"I fucking hate you!" she screamed.
"Well, that was faster than usual," Steve murmured to himself, before saying softly to her, "Keep your voice down....darling, we are in a public place."
"I don't care, you bastard!"
"Do you want to perhaps tell me, why I'm a bastard?" he said, still trying to calm her down.
"You know why!"
"No, I don't. Well, not this time," he said.
"Joanne told me what happened between you and her," Evelyn shouted.
Steve winced, struggling to remember who Joanne was, before giving up, "I'm sorry, Joanne is-"
"My friend! You met us at the club, and when you couldn't get me, you fucked her!" Evelyn shouted, "Is that how you see all women-as conquests that you forget all about afterwards?"
Internally, Steve smiled. He knew what to do now.
"No! How dare you say that? You don't even know anything about me, or anything that went on that night," Steve said, acting offended, "I always remember everything about any woman I talk to. So, if you've stopped yelling at me enough to thinking clearly, maybe you'll realise that if I remember women I talk to, I must not have talked to Joanne, let alone screwed her."
"You're saying you didn't have sex with Joanne?" Evelyn asked, bemused.
"Not that I recall. If I remember correctly, I spent most of my time with you, Nick spent most of his time with Joanne. Perhaps you should think about complaining to-"
"She mentioned you by name, and specifically mentioned that Nick left her alone," Evelyn spat at him, "How are you going to explain that, arsehole?"
Steve clutched at his hair, exuding confusion, but really panicking. "I don't know. The last thing I remember was putting your number in my mobile, and then-"
"Then you went back to see Joanne and-"
"No, wait! I did go back and see Joanne. And she had got me a drink, and we spent some time drinking togeth-" Steve said, suddenly stopping himself, "Oh God, how could I have been so stupid? How could you have been so stupid?"
"Excuse me?" Evelyn said, about to explode in anger.
"Don't you see-Joanne got me drunk so she could take advantage. I can't be sure, because it's all blurry from the alcohol, but she must have felt depressed after Nick left her, and she needed someone to screw to show she was still attractive to someone. And to be certain she...she," Steve began, tears building up in the corners of his eyes, "Oh my God, I feel so used."
"Jesus Christ, you're really crying," Evelyn said, quietly.
"Of course I am," Steve shouted, pushing past her towards the cashier. He threw some money on the counter and began to walk out, crying, "You think I'd make it all up. You're beyond belief, you are. Your friend practically rapes me, and you start blaming me!"
Steve pushed open the door and walked out of the restaurant, counting to himself from one. By the time he had reached ten he felt a hand on his shoulder.
"Wait," Evelyn said behind him.
"What?" Steve said, not turning around, mainly to hide his smile.
"Look, I didn't mean to attack you, back there. It's just, Joanne told me all of this before I came here. I didn't really have time to think it over," Evelyn said, "I guess I'm just too trusting her. I mean, it's not the first time she tried to pick up a guy I had my eye on."
Steve turned to face her, "It's okay. I guess I was just out leashing some anger I felt for her onto you. I mean I feel so betrayed as well. I suppose, I'm too trusting as well."
He smiled slightly, and she smiled back. Then Steve tilted his head, and leant in, expecting to meet her lips. Instead her hands met his chest, pushing him off.
"Oh, this I can't believe. You were just making it up, just so you could take advantage!" Evelyn shouted, walking off.
"Did you ever think that maybe I thought we had a moment there? A moment where I felt we connected over shared pain, and comfort for that pain?" Steve shouted at her, and she stopped, allowing him to walk up to her, "Look, I'm guessing you've been hurt before, by guys who want only one thing, willing to do anything to get that. I'm not like that, but if it takes time to learn to trust me, than that's fine by me."
"How? How am I supposed to be sure that you're not just trying to use me?" Evelyn asked.
"Well..." Steve said, struggling to think up something, "Well, by how I'll do such wonderful things for you, without even the slightest hope of sex."
"Such as?" Evelyn asked, interested.
"Well, immediately....a dinner party. Friday week. I'll cook the most succulent foods for you, your friends, and my friends, that will have you amazed. I'm not going to seduce you with everyone around, and all this work must show something to you," Steve said, taking her hand, "I'm willing to do whatever it takes to convince you that my feelings are true."
Evelyn smiled, took her hand away, and walked off, saying "You have my number. Text me the details tomorrow."
"But what about now?" Steve asked, "The night's so young its premature."
"I think I've had enough for tonight," she called back.
Sign up to rate and review this story