Categories > Original > Fantasy > Fable

Conner Becomes A Hero

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

As Tory's life is put into peril, Conner shows true courage.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-04-09 - Updated: 2007-04-09 - 827 words

0Unrated
Conner, Tiny and Ulysses stood outside of Bastharia's castle with the troops. Bastharia stood at the battlement looking down at them. "Leave now and I shall be merciful," she yelled, "there is no way you can win against my army of wolverns" Conner looked at Tiny and Ulysses, than stepped forward. "Release the Lady Tory," he yelled back, "and we shall be merciful." Bastharia laughed in contempt, "bring the girl," she said to her commanding officer. "We shall squash this insurrection, once and for all."

Conner paced back and forth, as the siege went on. Ulysses hopped up to him, gazing at him for a moment, "my toots, will be oks." He said to Conner, "I think that you be loving my toots." Conner smiled sheepishly, "is it that obvious?" Ulysses hopped closer and whispered. "It'll be our secret Piles." Conner grinned, than turned when he heard shouting, he blanched as he saw a wolvern holding onto a struggling Tory. "Now you will see my amazing power!" Bastharia shouted triumphantly, "I will obliterate the usurper and end this uprising." Conner ran forward in panic, as Bastharia raised a dagger, to plunge it into Tory's chest. Suddenly a roar filled his ears and everything slowed down. He felt himself transform, than he was airborne. He could see Tiny, and Ulysses staring at him in shock as he soared toward Bastharia. She screeched in surprise as he knocked the dagger out of her hand. She stumbled backwards as Conner landed, folding up his wings. "No," she gasped, "it can't be." She lurched back even more, "I exterminated your kind years ago. There should be no shape shifters left." Conner walked toward her, anger smoldering in his eyes, he punched a wolvern that ran at him, knocking him down. Bastharia staggered back farther, as Conner stalked her. "Yes you killed my tribe," he snarled in anger, "but my mother put a enchantment on me. It allowed me to hide in human shape." He looked towards Tory, "until a time that I needed to become a shape shifter." Bastharia wailed and dropped to her knees, "mercy please." She implored, "I will lift the curse and vanish from this land forever, I promise." Conner bent over and plucked the dagger from the floor. "Your promise isn't enough," he said, "for we both know you can't be believed." Bastharia shrieked and scrambled backwards, until her back was against the wall. Conner strode forward, as Bastharia screamed at her wolverns. "Stop him, stop him!" The wolverns yelped and fled. Abandoning Bastharia, Conner raised the dagger and thrust it into Bastharia's throat. Bastharia screeched one long scream and exploded into pieces.

Immediately the sky brightened up and birds began to sing. The crowd beneath the battlement, murmured together, "the curse is broken, Conner broke the curse." They began to cheer. Tory ran to Conner, and embraced him, "you saved me," she whispered stroking his face. "I love you," Conner said, kissing her. "It was that love that allowed my true form to come forth." The crowd cheered louder as Conner and Tory turned to face them,"people of Mysteria." Conner exclaimed, "you are free! Go forth and find those still faithful to Bastharia. Their reign of terror shall end tonight!" Tiny and Ulysses shouted, "Hail king Conner!" The crowd began the chant, as they began to scatter.

Tory looked at Conner, with a eyebrow raised, "King Conner?" She asked, "is there something you'd like to tell me?" Conner smiled, "my parents were the king and queen of Mysteria." He explained, "when Bastharia murdered them, she stole the crown. Than she put a curse on the land, so she would live to reign for eternity. But when she cursed the land, it also affected the people. People lived and remembered what she did." He looked out toward the awakened land. "She never got the unconditional loyalty she sought. So she lived in dread of the coming prophecy, because she knew when it came to pass. She would be overcome easily." Conner looked at Tory, "that's why she wanted to kill you. She thought if she couldn't rely on the people's loyalty, than she would rule them in terror." Conner rose and pulled Tory up, "but now she is dead, the curse is lifted, and those loyal to Bastharia are being hunted. There is one important thing left to be done." Tory smiled and stepped closer to Conner, "and what is that, King Conner?" She whispered, as Conner drew her into his arms. Conner grinned, "I want to make you my queen." He said kissing her gently, Tory smiled at him. "I love you," she said as they kissed again, "and I would be honored to be your queen." Conner laughed and grabbed Tory's hand, "we have much work to do before the wedding can take place." He said leading her out of the castle, as they began to set Mysteria back to it's rightful place together.
Sign up to rate and review this story