Categories > Anime/Manga > Pokemon > A Journey Revised

Will

by KitsunenoRai 1 review

She has only willpower. That's all she needs to begin.

Category: Pokemon - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Gary, Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-04-04 - Updated: 2007-04-04 - 4554 words

1Original
Disclaimer: I don't own pokemon. If I did, I would be living in a mansion.

Chapter 1: Will

The stands slowly emptied in the Indigo Plateau as the long awaited battle between Ritchie and Ash ended. Rey watched Ash sink to the ground. She felt sorry for him, having come this far only to lose. She sat back in her seat. She thought about the battle. 'If I had a pokemon, it would never disobey me,' she thought; thinking about how Ash's Charizard cost him the match. She thought about seeing herself on at the Indigo Plateau, pokeball in hand. "I choose you, T.."

"Rey," she snapped out of her daydreaming and turned to look at her mother. Her brown eyes were staring at her wondering what she was thinking. "Are you okay? You don't appear to have a fever, " her mother said concerned.

"I'm fine, I'm just sleepy," Rey said. Her mother turned back to the arena. Ash was just getting up off the floor to shake Ritchie's hand, grief covering his face. Rey turned to look at Ash's mother two seats down. She had a motherly concern about her. Professor Oak was cheering her up. The crowd soon cleared and everyone went back to their dorms.

"Hey Mother, I'm going outside," Rey said after returning to their room.

"Okay, be back by 8:00 p.m.," she replied.

Rey turned to look at the clock. "6:00 p.m.," she said.

She walked out of the Pokemon Center and walked into the stadium. She figured it was probably empty now. As she continued on the path, her assumption seemed more and more correct.

She stepped into the middle of the stadium and look up. She saw the fire of Moltres staring; blazingly back at her. She sat down and stared at the fire.

"What are you doing?" a voice yelled behind her. She turned to see that it was Gary standing in the shadows approaching her.

"Watching the flame," Rey answered. He sat down beside her.

"It's been a while since we have actually talked to each other face to face," Gary said to break the silence. They both began to stare at the flame.

"Yeah," Rey replied.

"So you live in Olivine City now, right?" Gary asked. Rey nodded.

"It's quite quiet there. Kind of reminds me of Pallet Town. So where are you heading to next? Are you going back home?"

"No. I'm going to the Johto region," Gary responded.

"I see."

"So, what do you plan to do when you go back to Johto?" Gary asked again.

"I don't know." They were quiet again. "Hey Gary, what would you say if I started on a journey? Would you yell at me or tell me otherwise?" Rey asked.

Gary sat there in silence. "Go ahead, that's your call," he said finally. "Just don't fall out with a fever,"
"Very funny," Rey said. Gary stood up.

"Well, you would probably do better than Ash," Gary said making a reference to the currently sulking boy. "Don't you have to be back by 8:00?" he asked changing the subject.

"Yeah."

"Well its 7:45 p.m.," Gary said.

Rey stood up as well. "Okay, thanks. I'll see you on our journeys sometime," Rey said walking away.

Gary stood there. He turned his attention back to the flame. "I wasn't really serious, but if she wants to, I can't really stop her," he said finally. He walked out of the stadium, leaving it desolate.

Rey walked all the way to the pokemon center. She was excited. "I would go tell Ash and tell him, but chances are he would probably barely remember me. It has been four years since we last saw each other," Rey said approaching the Pokemon Center. She sighed. "He's probably still sulking anyway."

"Bed," Rey's mother told her while pointing at the bed. She had let her dark brown hair out and wore Ampharos covered white pajamas.

"Right," Rey replied. She changed her clothes and got into a blue nightgown. She then got in the top bunk while her mother took the bottom bunk. Her mother stretched out and set the alarm to 7:30 a.m.. And then she turned and went to sleep.

Rey, however, was still wide awake pondering her ever closer decision. She thought about what Gary said. 'If I did go on a journey what region would I go to?' Rey pondered. 'Johto or Kanto?' Rey stuffed the question into the back of her mind. 'That's not the most important question. The question is do I want to go on a journey?' Rey thought, taking this one step at a time. 'It's for the best that I ask Mom after the tournament. It will give me more time to think about what I want to do.'


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The end of the tournament finally came. Rey watched all the participants walk to the center of the stage. The full moon and the bright blaze was the spectacle of the night. She saw the two people she knew from the pokemon league.
"Go Gary! You too, Ash!" she screamed abruptly. She knew it was probably bad for her health, but she continued anyway. Rey's mother simply laughed.
"What's so funny?" Rey asked.

"I have never seen you so excited and hyper," she chuckled again. "I kinda like you like this."

Rey simply smiled at her and turned her attention back to the ceremony, continuing her prior antics. After the ceremony ended, she walked back to the Pokemon Center and put her things together. "I never did get the chance to congratulate Ash personally." she realized. She shrugged her shoulders and continued packing. She thought back to the decision she would be soon forced to make.

'Should I really be attempting this?' Rey doubted herself. She pondered this question for the rest of the night. Soon a new question appeared in her head. 'Should I go with Ash and his friends, or maybe Gary?" she questioned herself. She knew Ash and Gary would be heading of to the Johto region soon. She sat down on the lower bunk. 'I think it's best. I'll travel on my own. I don't want anyone looking after me like I'm such a liability. I get that enough in Olivine City,' she thought. She scratched the back of her head and fell down on the bed. "This is really annoying," she said.

"Ugh," Rey said the next morning. She was still unsure if she should ask her mother if she could go on her own pokemon journey. She was eleven now, old enough to get her license, but that didn't change the fact that her mother could still say no. She just had to ask and find out. It was a quiet trip back to Olivine. Rey wasn't sure what to do.
"Rey, did you like going to the conference?" her mother said breaking the silence.

"Yeah, it was great." The car was once again quiet. "Hey Mom, I have a question."

"Yes."

"If I wanted to go on a pokemon journey, what would you say?" Rey inquired.

Rey's mother looked at her soundly. She didn't like that look too much. Rey's mother was a renowned pokemon trainer. She still exercised as if she would again start journeying throughout the multiple regions. She hoped her mother would understand her desire to be a pokemon trainer. As Rey was thinking, her usual coughing began. Her mother's look went from thoughtfulness to worry. Rey had been sickly since she was young. She has stood at death's door many times, but she always seemingly pulled through.

"Please Mother, this is something I really want to do," Rey began to plead.

"What about your health? What if you fall out in the middle of nowhere and nobody is there carry you to the nearest hospital? What then? I would regret the decision for the rest of my life."

"I'll take that risk."

"Okay. you're willing to take that risk; you're still a child," her mother yelled.

"I understand that, but that does not change the fact that I want to do this," Rey retorted. "I am positive that I will turn out fine."

"How sure are you?" Her mother questioned.

Rey didn't answer. She envisioned the multiple hospital visits she had to go to in the past and all her medicine that was in the bag beside her. "Is it really worth all of that?" her mother continued. Rey was silent. "Well, I want an answer," Rey's mother said irritably.

"Yes, it is. I have never been so sure of this in my life. For years now I always thought 'Rey, you would be no good as a pokemon trainer, or you would never win a battle.' But not now. Now I want to change all that. No more self doubt. No more pity," Rey said getting her thought out. They approached their home in Olivine City. Neither of them, however, ever left the car seat.

They stared at each other for a long time. Their brown eyes met each other waiting for the other to back down. Rey's mom sat up and stepped out of the car.

"I never would have guessed you were this determined. If a pokemon journey will do what you are showing me right now maybe it would be best that you go." Rey's mother answered finally.

"Does that mean that I.."

"Yes, you may go on your journey," she said finishing Rey's sentence.

Rey's eyes lit up with happiness. "Thank you, Mom," she said running to the other side of the car and giving her mother a big hug.

They walked inside. The house was exactly how it was left. The walls were painted yellow with a golden crowning. The kitchen was to the left and the living room to the right. The stairs were right in the middle. The twosome took their shoes off at the door and walked into the living room. The living room had the same carpet coloring as the wall. It had a large yellow couch that was set to the back of the room with a table in front of it. The table was almost completely covered in magazines and sodas. There were two chairs on the opposite sides of the couch with a big screen T.V. in the middle. Rey walked over to the couch, set the magazines on the floor, and sat down on the couch, feet on the table.

"Get your feet off the table, Rey!" her mother yelled.

"Sorry," Rey immediately moved her feet off the table and onto the floor.

Rey's mother sat down on the couch beside her.

"So, what will your starter be?"

"Huh... What? A starter?"

Rey's mother began to explain the basics of pokemon training to her daughter.

"When you first get your license you have a choice between three pokemon depending on the region. The only thing in common is the fact that the types are fire, water, or grass," her mother clarified.

"What's this region's starters?" Rey asked.

"Cyndaquil, the fire pokemon, Totodile, the water pokemon, or Chikorita, the grass pokemon," her mother answered.

"Oh," Rey said.

"Any idea what you want?"

"No."

"Oh. This might help," Her mother said leaving the room. She came back with a several tapes with "Teachy T.V." on the cover. "Watch these tapes. They will teach you all you need to know. Rey got off the couch and took the tapes and headed upstairs to her room.

As Rey ran upstairs to her room, her mother called Professor Oak.

"Miyumi, why are you calling here?" Professor Oak said over the phone.

"Rey wants to finally start a journey."

"You have been waiting a long time for this, haven't you?"

"Yes. I knew it would happen eventually,"

"Tell your daughter to get some rest. I'll make arrangements with Professor Elm to let him know you're coming."

"I will. Thanks," she said, hanging up the phone.

Rey opened the door to her room. She walked into her mid-sized room, fell on the bed, and set the tapes beside her. She looked around her. Her room's walls were a different color than the house. It was a light blue color. She looked at the mirror behind her door. She gave her reflection a big grin and walked over to put the tapes in. She moved her games out of the way and put in the first tape. She watched the first video before she decided to go to bed.

She took a shower, put on a light blue shirt and shorts and got under the comforters of her bed. She stretched as she envisioned her next move.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rey scratched her stomach as she woke up the next morning. She looked outside the window to smell the cool, crisp breeze. That was possibly her favorite thing about Olivine City. She stared blankly out of the window.
"So, what are the many things I need to do before I go on my journey?" she said aloud.
"Rey, breakfast," her mother called interrupting her thought. Rey walked downstairs to the kitchen. "I got tickets for us to go on the S.S. Aqua to New Bark Town from here. We'll leave tomorrow."

Rey took one of the tickets. "Okay, thank you," she said.

They sat down for breakfast. "Rey, we are going to have to go shopping for new clothes for your journey," Miyumi told her.

"No we don't," Rey responded.

"Why not?"

"I have clothes upstairs I can wear," Rey told her.

"You know you are a girl, act like it once in a while."

"I do."

"Normally, girls love shopping."

"Normally," Rey picked out the key word.

"Well there is one way to decide this," Miyumi said. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a coin. "Call it."

"Tails," Rey called it as the coin flew in the air.

The coin landed heads. "Ha. Now after breakfast, go put on some clothes. We're going shopping for pokemon apparel."

Rey bowed her head to the winner. She finished her breakfast and walked over to the medicine cabinet. She grabbed a medicine bottle and put two in her hand and drank it down with orange juice. She then walked upstairs to prepare what might be the longest day of her life. "I hate shopping."

She put on a yellow shirt and black shorts and went downstairs. She saw her mother at the door. She was wearing a black shirt and blue jeans. "Ready to go?" her mother asked.

"Yes," Rey sighed as she followed her mother out of the house.

As they rode in the car, Rey looked out the window at the Olivine harbor. She could stare out into the sea all day, but instead she had to go shopping.

They arrived at the Olivine Mall. It was not as big as other big name cities like Goldenrod, but it fit the need.

They walked inside. "Okay, where to first, clothes or accessories," Miyumi said with a hint of girlish glee in her voice.

Rey sighed again. "Let's get the clothes out of the way," Rey wondered how this woman could ever be her mother. 'I guess the only way is because we look alike,' she concluded. They walked to the clothes section of the mall.

"Try this on," was the sentence of the day for Miyumi as that is much all she said as she made Rey try on many different clothes. Dresses, pants, shorts, shirts, every kind of clothing she made Rey try.

They finally went with a light blue shirt with white short sleeves, white shorts and a white jacket with a light blue pokeball on the back. Rey had light blue socks and blue shoes at home that she would wear.

"Are we done with the clothes shopping?" Rey asked as Miyumi paid for the clothes.

"Yes. We can buy the accessories and go home," Miyumi answered. Rey breathed a sigh of relief. She was happy that she no longer had to do any clothes shopping.

Mom, can we get something to eat before we go accessory shopping?" Rey asked.

"Sure. I'm know we're both hungry."

They went to the food section of the mall and ordered a large pizza and two orange sodas. Rey set a couple of slices on her plate and sipped a bit of her orange soda.

"Rey, have you decided on your starter yet?"

"No, not yet," Rey said taking a bit out of her pizza.

"You better choose soon," Miyumi said drinking her soda.

"I know." A thought came into Rey's head. "Mom what was your starter?" Rey asked.

"I didn't get the usual starter. My father went out and caught a Mareep for me. I trained him and left on my journey with him," she said. She tossed a pokeball. "Go Ampharos," she called. Ampharos came out of the pokeball alertly. Rey remembered when she was little how she used to play with Ampharos all the time. "Ampharos do you want some pizza?" Miyumi asked. Ampharos nodded and joined them at the table. He took a slice of pizza and ate it. Ampharos clearly loved the taste and grabbed another slice.

After they ate all the pizza, they walked over to the pokemon accessory store.

"Okay first things, first. We need to get you a bag, Rey," Miyumi told her. They walked into the bag section. "Which one do you want?" she asked. Rey walked through the multiple bags. She picked out a light blue shoulder bag with a strap to place six pokeballs on the side. She looked inside and saw many side pockets and a large pocket to put her stuff in.

"Alright. Now we have to get you a pokegear," Miyumi said.

"A pokegear. What's that?" Rey inquired.

"It's like an advanced wristwatch," she said.

"That's it? I have one of those," Rey said.

"No. I can do more than just tell time. It has a map, a phone, a radio, and a tracking device.

"Well, I guess I should get one then," Rey said.

Rey and Miyumi walked to the cash register. "One pokegear please," Miyumi asked.

"Okay," the cashier said. He bent over to grab one of the many pokegears.

"Do you have them in different colors?" Rey asked.
The cashier stood up."Yes."

"Do you have a light blue color?"

"Yes. Would you like that one instead?" the cashier asked.

"Yes please,"

The cashier bent back over and pulled out a blue pokegear. "Will this work for you?"

Rey took it in her hand. After admiring the craftsmanship, she nodded her head yes. "Thank you."

After paying for all the stuff Rey needed to start her journey, they walked out of the mall. "So, Rey are you still mad we went to the mall?" Miyumi said. Ampharos looked at Rey as well waiting for an answer.

"I still hate the clothes shopping. Everything else was fine," Rey said finally. Miyumi closed her eyes and grinned.

It was a loud ride home. Miyumi filled Rey's head with adventures she had when she was on her journey. When they arrived home Rey went upstairs to watch the rest of the videos. "It's still early in the afternoon," Rey said as she walked in her room with Ampharos carrying her gear. "I can finish those tapes right, Ampharos." He nodded and walked out of the room.

She sat down to watch the tapes.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was now dark. Miyumi sat up in the living room after dinner. She was expecting her daughter to try to sneak out of the house. Almost right on cue, Rey attempted to sneak out of the house. Miyumi knew she did this often when it was a full moon outside. She usually faked sleeping and left her to her own devices, but tonight was different.
"Where are you going?" she asked sternly.
"Um, out.. side t..to practice martial arts," Rey said in that 'I'm so dead' tone.

"Rey, come here. Sit by me for a moment before you go out." Rey sat down on the couch as instructed. "Rey, I understand you want to do this badly, but I want you to know that I don't want you to overexert yourself. Take your time. It's not necessary to rush through the journey to try to catch up with your friends. I want you to be strong and to prove to me that I made the right decision to send you off on your journey. And lastly, what region are you going to anyway? You never did say that, Kanto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, or Johto," Miyumi said finishing her thought.

"I am going to Kanto," Rey confirmed.

"I assume because of Ash and Gary?" Miyumi asked. Rey nodded. "I see you've made your choice. You can go now; don't stay out too late," she said. Rey was soon out the door. "That girl, she's going to make something of herself, I can see it. Too bad I will never allow her to beat me at full strength in a battle." She chuckled. " I can't wait for the day she tries."

"97... kick... 98... kick...99... kick... 100... kick." Rey said. She had been practicing for an hour now taking breaks now and then. "There, one hundred kicks and one hundred punches." she said. She wanted to be prepared for the days ahead. She felt truly alive. She leaned on the base of a tree and went in the bag her mother had bought early that day. She pulled out a towel and wrapped it around her neck. She reached back into her bag and pulled out her priced pokeflute. It had a light blue color base and a slightly darker blue pokeball at the end. She put it to her mouth and began to play. She would play it when she wanted to chase her troubles away.

'My starter, my starter.' she thought. 'What should it be Cyndaquil, Totodile, or Chikorita. Rey got up from the tree trunk and stared into the moonlight after finishing her symphony. "I love these kind of nights," she said. The moon gently staring at the sea. "If I could draw, I would draw that scene," Rey said staring into the full moon. She looked at her pokegear. "9:17 p.m.," she said. She gathered her things and walked home. She stopped at the harbor and stared at the S.S. Anne. The ship that would take her to the first step of her destiny. She stared at the ship for a few minutes and walked off.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rey woke up much more well rested than before. She took a shower and walked back to her room. She looked in her closet and grabbed the new outfit, pokegear and bag bought yesterday. She looked thoughtful as she silently thanked her mother, eyes glistening.
"Good morning," Miyumi said meeting her at the stairway.

"Good morning," Rey answered.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Yes."

"Let's go then."

The S.S. Anne was tooting its horn ready to leave the port city.

Miyumi and Rey walked to their room. There was a bed near the entrance and a sofa to the opposite side. There was a table in front of the couch and a t.v. in the corner of the room with a chair beside it. Everything was white.

"Weird room," Rey said. Miyumi nodded her head in agreement.

They sat on the couch and watched the t.v. until the ship left port. "How long is the ride?" Rey asked.

"It's about a four hour boat ride," Miyumi said.

"Okay, I have plenty of time to think." Rey paused. "Hey Mom can you tell me more about your journeys?"

"Like what?"

"Anything, the good and the bad. I want to hear about it all," Rey answered.

"I won't bore you will I?" Miyumi asked.

"Of course not," Rey responded.

Miyumi began to tell about her prior journeys through Johto and Hoenn. About how she slept in the rain, the battles, the tournaments. Everything Rey asked she had an opinion on. She was entranced by her mother's adventures and hoped she would have some of her own.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They arrived in New Bark Town around noon that day. After Miyumi bought the tickets for the trip to Pallet Town, they walked to the Pokemon lab in New Bark Town. Miyumi and Rey agreed that when Rey gets her starter she should leave that day to prevent second thoughts. They stepped inside.
They were greeted by a man with a white lab coat on. He had on glasses, a shirt that had a stripe across it under his lab coat, pants, and night slippers.
He walked over to Rey. "My name is Professor Elm. Are you by any chance Rey?" Rey nodded her head. "Right, then you must be the mother," he said pointing at Miyumi. Miyumi nodded. "Follow me," he said.
They followed him into a room with three pokeballs on a table.

"So, Rey, have you thought about which starter pokemon you want," Professor Elm said getting to the point.

Rey looked indecisive. "Can I see them?" she asked.

"Of course."

He took the three pokeballs and out appeared a Cyndaquil, Totodile, and a Chikorita.

"These are the three? " Rey said nervously.

"They are Cyndaquil, Chikorita, Totodile," Professor Elm explained pointing to each of them saying their name.

Rey seemed more nervous than ever. She looked each pokemon in the eye trying to make the choice easier. "I have decided."

"Which one," Miyumi asked.

"Cyndaquil, I choose Cyndaquil as my starter," she said walking over to Cyndaquil.

"Will you be my partner Cyndaquil?" Cyndaquil jumped into her arms. "I guess that's a yes."

"Here are five pokeballs to begin your journey with." Professor Elm said.

"Okay."

"And this is your pokedex. It records data from pokemon, tells how many pokemon you've caught and the moves it learns. Think of it as an encyclopedia. It also has a help manual for beginning trainers."

"Can I see it?"

"Sure."

Rey opened it and pointed it at Cyndaquil.

In a mechanical female voice it said: Cyndaquil the fire mouse pokemon. Cyndaquil protects itself from opponents with the flames on its back. It's flames are very strong when angered. However, when tired its flames sputter with incomplete combustion.

"Rey, I'm very proud of you. Do your best," Miyumi said finally.

"I will Mom. I'll miss you, but I'll make you proud."

"I know you will, Rey."

"Good Luck, Rey," Professor Elm said. "I know you will do well."

Miyumi, Rey, and her Cyndaquil began walking to the edge of the New Bark Town pier. It was a quiet walk.

"Well, this is it, Rey. I expect to hear of you soon." Miyumi looked at Cyndaquil. "Cyndaquil, take good care of her."
Cyndaquil nodded in confirmation.

"Bye, Mom. You will hear of me soon."

Miyumi walked over to her and gave her a big hug and kissed her on her forehead her eyes watery. "Make me proud."

Rey turned from her mother and walked off not looking back. She pulled out her pokeflute and began to play a childhood melody thinking on the future journeys she would soon have as she stepped foot on the ship.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: That's the first chapter. I have high hopes for this fic. Please R&R.
Sign up to rate and review this story