Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Clipped Wings

The Genin Exams

by KitsunenoRai 0 reviews

Not everyone is blessed with a bloodline even if one should be obtained. That is shown in the life of Hiroku Hyuga. The disdain of the clan is shown on his arm for a punishment that was not a crime...

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-04-10 - Updated: 2007-04-11 - 4613 words

0Unrated

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.

Chapter 2: The Genin Exam

"So, who are these two guys on your team, Sumiko?" Sumiko's father had just come home from a B ranked mission. Noticing her new forehead protector he stared at her with a look of pride.

"They're both not guys. One is a girl and one is a boy," Sumiko corrected.

Her father nodded understandingly. "So, what are their names," her father asked.

"Hiroku Hyuga and Kasumi Yatsuga," Sumiko answered.

"Are they any good?"

"In all appearances, I doubt it. Hiroku's test scores are high, but his ninjutsu is average, his genjutsu's horrible, and his taijutsu is slightly above average. Kasumi is another one of those smartmouth, weak, girly kunoichi."

"No genin shinobi is stronger than my daughter," her father said loudly.

"Nope. It looks like I will be the strongest of Team 4," Sumiko said proudly.

They laughed all night knowing their mother was on a mission and would not return for a week.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sumiko got to the classroom a little after Iruka did. She sat down in the back wearing her forehead protector as she told her teammates she would the day before. She pulled out two silver wristbands from her pockets and put one on each of her arms She began staring at them proudly.
"You're here early Sumiko," Iruka noticed.

"I wanted to get a head start."

"Always on time."

She nodded as she turned to the window replaying the conversation she had with her father. 'Now that I think about it, I never have seen them fight. I only glared at Roku's strength chart. I don't know if they know any jutsu or not. No matter, I'm still stronger than both of them.'

She watched as new genin after new genin arrived. "Hey, Sumiko." Sumiko turned around and noticed that Kasumi had arrived. She was waving her hand at the entrance of the door. Kasumi began to approach her. Sumiko noticed that her hair was now bound in a long bandage that formed the majority of her hair into a long ponytail. She sat down next to her careful not to sit on her hair.

"Your hair seems like such a nuisance."

"It's not. I'm starting to think you're jealous."

"Keep dreaming."

"Don't you two think it's too early in the morning for arguing over petty things such as hair?" The girls turned around to see their teammate hovering over them.

"Roku!" they screamed in unison.

"Good morning," he said taking his seat. He stretched himself out and laid down. "Kasumi, where is your forehead protector?"

"Oh, right," Kasumi said pounding her left fist into her hand. She reached into her pocket and pulled out her forehead protector. She wrapped it around her left arm securely and grinned showing her self-approval.

"Team 4," the group turned around to meet a new face by the entrance. He had spiky brown hair and brown eyes. He was wearing the standard jounin vest and black pants with a blue long-sleeved shirt showing his forehead protector on his right arm. "Follow me." The group stood up and follow him out the door. The group walked all the way to the roof top where they would be uninterrupted. Their new sensei then pointed to an area they can sit at. He then walked in front of them and sat on the edge of the roof.

"Okay, my name is Taisuke Shibata," the jounin finally gave his name. "I want each of you to tell me a little about yourself. Likes, dislikes, goals, whatever. You, the long haired girl. Start."

"My name is Kasumi Yatsuga. I'm 11 years old. I like my hair, staring at the moon, and rainy nights. I dislike snobs. My goal is to be a strong kunoichi."

'Generic enough,' Taisuke sighed to himself. "The other girl," he said calmly.

"My name is Sumiko Tezuka. I'm 12 years old. I like nightly walks through the town and sitting in trees and staring at the moon. I don't like anything in particular. My goal is to be the strongest member of my clan."

'I hope their ambitions change; this is boring.' "Alright, the only male."

"My name is Hiroku Hyuga. Call me Roku. I'm 11 years old. I like reading. I hate fish and sarcasm. My goal is to be a medic-nin that rivals Tsunade herself."

"You know how good Tsunade is right," Taisuke said somewhat interested. Hiroku nodded. Taisuke shrugged his shoulders. "Anyway, I guess it's my turn. My name is Taisuke Shibata. 23 years old. I like genjutsu. I hate weaklings. I am also called the 'Final Genjutsu of the Land of Fire', and I have killed over 1,000 people. Any questions?"

Kasumi and Hiroku stared wide eyed at their new sensei and shook their heads. Sumiko stared at him skeptically and nodded. "Are you serious?" Sumiko spoke.

"Keen one aren't you. Everything except my name and age was a lie."

Kasumi and Hiroku stared at him shocked. 'I hate sarcasm,' Hiroku thought.

'And we're supposed to trust this man with our lives?' Sumiko questioned.

'I can't believe I fell for that," Kasumi realized.

"Anyway. You guys will have to take a genin test to actually become genin. This test will be in two parts." The students nodded. "The first part is a tournament."

"How is that going to work? We can't fight you; you're a jounin," Sumiko stood up yelling.

"Sit down. I haven't gotten that far. It will be between the three of you. Each of you will fight each other once. Winner has a chance to fight me. Simple enough?" Taisuke finished. The students nodded.

"What's the second part?" Kasumi asked.

"You'll have to wait until tomorrow," Taisuke responded. "The test is tomorrow. Meet me at the training ground at 10:00 a.m. If you fail we send you back to the academy. Bye." Taisuke immediately left the scene after saying the conditions.

"What does he mean 'sending us back to the academy'?" Kasumi asked.

"Well, we'll ask him tomorrow," Hiroku said standing up.

"Well, guys. Prepare to get your butt kicked tomorrow," Sumiko said cracking her knuckles.

"Whatever. I'm leaving. I have some things to do with my mother," Hiroku said heading for the door. "See you tomorrow."

"Bye," Kasumi said waving her hand. She turned around to Sumiko. "Well, I guess we won't be hanging around today. I am going to go clean up my home. My parents are coming home from a mission tomorrow. Bye." She followed in Hiroku's footsteps heading to the door.

"I guess I'll go get my dad to train me," Sumiko decided.

"Roku," Kasumi yelled catching up to him.

"Yes."

"I wanted you to know, why do you want to be a medic-nin?"

"Ask me at another time. If I told you, it would take a while."

"Okay," she grinned.

"Well, I go this way," he said pointing west.

"Yeah, I go that way," Kasumi said pointing east.

They waved goodbye and went on their ways.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A tournament between teammates?" Sumiko's father questioned her. She nodded. "That's creative. So, did you find anything out, like if they know any jutsus or anything." She shook her head.
"All I found out was that Hiroku wants to be a medic-nin."

"A medic-nin? You have that match against him in the bag. Listen all medic-nin do is the Mystical Palm Technique and dodge using the occasional taijutsu. In other words, that match is as good as yours. It should be easy with the clan's secret." Sumiko nodded. "What about the girl, anything?"

"No."

"From your description of her, grab her hair and cut it; she'll cry like the little kunoichi she is," her father said laughing. Sumiko soon joined in. She sat by her father's side on the couch and laughed again.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Well, it's 9:55 a.m," Sumiko said just arriving at the training ground. She looked around not to see her team anywhere.
She looked up at the sky and saw a crow going by. "Idiot, Idiot," it seemed to say. She shrugged her shoulders and turned to see Hiroku and Kasumi standing there.

"Where were you two?" Sumiko asked walking toward them.

"Breakfast. Kasumi paid," Hiroku said.

"What time is it?" Kasumi asked.

"10:00 a.m.," Sumiko said staring at her watch.

"On the dot," Taisuke said appearing in a huff of smoke behind them on a tree ledge. He had a stopwatch around his neck.

"Taisuke-sensei!" Kasumi yelled.

"In the flesh." The group walked over toward him.

"Can you explain what you meant yesterday when you said 'sending us back to the academy'," Kasumi asked.

"Fine. As you know 15 students passed the exam to get here. However only 9 genin will be accepted. Jounin give their squad a test or a group of tests to see if they will become genin or not. If they pass; they become genin. If they fail; they go back to the academy. Then the process repeats. Simple enough?"

They nodded fully understanding what he meant. "Anyway, it's time to begin the first part. Kasumi and Sumiko step forward." They stepped into the middle of the training ground while Hiroku sat down under a tree. "Alright you two, here are the rules. Anything goes. Just don't kill each other. You have five minutes."

"Right. Don't cry when you lose," Sumiko taunted. Kasumi closed her eyes.

"Let's just start."

He stepped back, lifting the stopwatch. "Begin."

Sumiko reached into her pouch behind her and grabbed three shuriken. She calculated her spot, careful not to hit any vital points. She watched her movements carefully and threw the shuriken. Kasumi rolled to her right, effectively dodging the shuriken. Sumiko pulled out a kunai and charged at her. Kasumi looked up to meet her gaze. Reacting quickly, she pulled a shuriken and aimed it at her feet. Sumiko leapt into the air using the sunlight as a blinder. She tossed the single kunai in her hand hoping to hit a target. She heard a scream as she noticed her kunai hit her shoulder. Kasumi screamed in pain for a few more seconds before she disappeared into smoke, revealing a log. Sumiko scanned the area only to see Kasumi hiding behind the log. Kasumi ended forming hand signs with the tiger.

"Try this, Sumiko. Sound Style: Shockwave Jutsu." Kasumi spread her hands out and clapped them as hard as she could. Before Sumiko could react, a giant wave of sound and wind approached her. It slammed the unsuspecting Sumiko back into a tree. Kasumi stared readying a kunai from her pouch. She stared at her teammate's body until she disappeared into a log.

"What," Kasumi managed to utter before she felt a painful tug behind her. She fell on the ground using both hands to grab at her hair. She looked out the corner of her eye to see Sumiko with a kunai in her right hand and the long ponytail of her hair in the other. "You wouldn't," Kasumi stared.

"A ninja shouldn't have hair this long," Sumiko said a sadistic grin plastered her face. "Let me help you with that," she said putting the kunai closer, ready to cut her hair to the small of her back. "Where is your 'surprise' now, Kasumi?" Kasumi smirked, then closed her eyes. She concentrated her chakra and formed the snake hand sign. She gave her hair one final tug trying to escape her grasp.

She sighed realizing she was not letting go. "Ninja Art: Bandage Snake Jutsu." The bandages on her hair at the top slowly rose from her hair as it quickly moved down to where Sumiko's hand rested on her hair.

"What?" Sumiko yelled as the bandages on her hair began to wrap around her arm and swing across her body. The bandages increased their pace until they had her entire torso area wrapped up.

"That is my 'surprise', Sumiko. It prevent others from cutting my hair and it leaves them in a compromising position for me to do this." Kasumi began forming the hand signs she had earlier.

'I can't make any hand signs, and I can't cut the rope either, it's like it's made of steel,' Sumiko yelled inside trying to move her hands, but to no avail. She glared back up at Kasumi finishing her seals.

"Sound Style: Shockwave Jutsu." Sumiko felt the crashing force of sound and wind hit her body. She flew backwards several feet and rolling a few more. Sumiko tried escaping again, but the same result happened.

"Times up," Taisuke yelled. "Winner, Kasumi." Kasumi walked over to Sumiko. She formed the snake sign and the bandages slowly rose to her hand.

"Underestimation is a bad habit to get into you know," Kasumi said cheerfully. Sumiko turned her head. Kasumi shrugged her shoulders and walked back to the group.

'I can't believe Kasumi, of all people beat me,' Sumiko thought wide-eyed. She punched the ground. She looked up to see Hiroku standing over her. He put his hands over her ears.

"Your bleeding in your ears. If you don't want to go deaf, it's best you let me heal you," he said.

'So this is the Mystical Palm Technique Father mentioned,' Sumiko thought. Hiroku stood up and walked over to Taisuke.

"I fight Kasumi next, right?" Hiroku stared as Kasumi was putting the finishing touches on wrapping her hair.

"Yes. Get over there." Taisuke stared at the teammates, made opponents and reset his watch. "Ready, begin."

Hiroku wasted no time charging for Kasumi. He drew a right fist, only for Kasumi to knock it to the side. She responded by firing a kick. Hiroku ducked, hitting the ground on all fours. He then shot up trying to knee her in the mouth. She hit his knee with her left hand and fired a quick punch with her right. The group stared in awe as Hiroku was upside down grabbing Kasumi's right arm with his left hand. They met each other's gaze. Kasumi's shocked ones with Hiroku's 'are you surprised' ones.

"How are you..."

"Chakra control. If you want to be a medic-nin, it's essential," Hiroku answered.

He quickly swung on her arm and landed a swift right kick to her stomach knocking Kasumi off the ground. She flipped trying to regain her footing only for Hiroku to meet her there in the air. He grabbed her arm and swung around her back kicking her this time with his left. Kasumi caught herself with her right arm. She threw a kunai and with an exploding tag at Hiroku's feet causing a mid-sized explosion.

'Roku does not put much behind his attacks. That's probably why his taijutsu is not so great. He makes up for it with an acrobatic, flexible style though. It's much different than what I hear the gentle fist is. Nonetheless, I can't lose.' Kasumi prepared the hand signs again. "Sound Style: Shockwave Jutsu." The gust of wind cleared the smoke revealing a shocked Hiroku with small cuts on his body, a little blood coming from his ears. He prepared the Mystical Palm Technique and healed his ears. He then took out a shuriken and threw it carefully. As he threw, he was reminded of his less than approved accuracy. Kasumi dashed to the side and charged at Hiroku again.

'She has to be getting low on chakra. She has already used five jutsu in the last ten minutes,' Hiroku thought. Kasumi threw a left, which Hiroku knocked to the side effortlessly. She attempted to follow it up with a right, but Hiroku caught it. Kasumi reached into her pouch for a kunai, giving Hiroku enough time to use the Mystical Palm Technique. He reached out and cut Kasumi's left arm with the glowing chakra pulsing from his left hand. Kasumi screamed in pain, not understanding what was wrong. Hiroku then did the same thing to Kasumi's other hand. Hiroku used her state of shock to punch her twice in the stomach sending her flying a couple of feet. Kasumi staggered forward. She tried raising her arm only to realize every arm movement hurt. She fell over.

"I give up. Roku, you win."

"Good. It didn't matter there was only about five seconds left anyway," Taisuke said resetting his stopwatch again.

Hiroku walked over to Kasumi's shaking frame. He covered both hands in with blue chakra and grabbed one of Kasumi's arms.

"What did you do to me?" Kasumi questioned.

"The offensive version of the Mystical Palm Technique. With this variation, I can cut muscles and vital organs and cause internal bleeding without affecting the skin. I didn't know it would hurt so much, but it's the only other offensive ninjutsu I know. Sorry," he explained.

She shook her head. "No problem, you did what you had to do to win." Hiroku grabbed her other arm.

"Thanks for healing me."

"Sure." He finished and stood up. He walked over to his sensei with Kasumi following close behind.

'I don't feel any pain. All I feel is tiredness from using so many jutsu.'

"Alright, last match. Sumiko and Roku. Begin," Taisuke said starting this stopwatch.

Sumiko immediately began to make hand signs. "Fire Style: Fireball Jutsu." Hiroku jumped into the nearest tree, reached into his pouch and tossed three shuriken. Sumiko redirected her fire jutsu and engulfed the shuriken in flames.

"Looks like I'm not getting those back," Hiroku sighed. "I wish I knew more offensive jutsu." He stood up. "Clone Jutsu." Four Hiroku clones formed on the tree. All of the clones attacked Sumiko. She smirked and flicked her wrist. Hiroku stared in awe as the clones disappeared into smoke. He soon felt something grab at his leg and pull him off the tree onto the ground.

"It's time I introduce you to my clan's secret weapon, Steel Wire." She manipulated her fingers and Hiroku soon felt ten strings on his body wrapping around him. Sumiko manipulated her fingers again and slammed Hiroku into a tree and threw him into the water. Kasumi and Taisuke watched as the almost invisible wire formed back on the gauntlets she wore around her lower arms.

Hiroku soon shot out of the water, kunai in hand. Sumiko did more hand seals, different then the one she used before. "Ninja Art: Poison Mist Jutsu." A dark cloud appeared out of Sumiko's mouth. Hiroku disappeared into smoke as he touched the mist. As the poison mist cleared, Hiroku appeared at the other end charging at Sumiko. Sumiko again threw out her wires only to hit an after image. "Body Flicker!" Sumiko realized. Hiroku came out at a different angle and tried the charging again. He jumped in the air and tried to land a kick. Sumiko lifted her arm to block the kick. Hiroku spun using her arm as a brace and tried to kick her in her ribs. Sumiko caught the foot. Hiroku put his right hand on the ground and spun around on the ground legs extended. Sumiko staggered from the assault allowing Hiroku to push himself up and slash her left arm with the Mystical Palm Technique. Sumiko screamed for a second and tried to retaliate with a right hook. Hiroku body flickered again and jumped to the base of the nearest tree. He charged again. Sumiko used a smoke bomb and obscured both of their vision.

"Times up," Taisuke screamed. Both figures stopped moving. As the smoke cleared it became more and more evident who won. Kasumi gasped covering her hands to her face when she realized what happened. Two wires on Sumiko's right hand wrapped around Hiroku's neck causing a little blood to trickle down the back of his throat. The other three where wrapped around his skull, blood covering his left eye; her left hand fell lifelessly to her side obviously turning black from the internal bleeding. Hiroku's left hand grasped her right wrist. His hand was raised high covered in the familiar chakra.

"Well. The winner is Sumiko," Taisuke declared. 'These kids can really be something. The Hyuga, even though he doesn't have the bloodline trait has the potential to be a great medic-nin and his acrobatic taijutsu will only get better. Sumiko's techniques are strong and she has great precision with that steel wire of hers. Kasumi looks like she has great skills with distance fighting. This group is interesting. I might not even need the second test.' he thought.

Hiroku walked over to Sumiko. "Sit." Sumiko stared at him and sat down. He grabbed her arm and began to apply chakra to the wound. Sumiko watched quietly as the black in her arm turned milky white again. He stood up and took off his forehead protector and grabbed the back of his neck and applied chakra. "Just like I said. It would protect my neck," Hiroku said referring to yesterday's comment. She nodded. He then did the same to his head. He took some of the blood on his forehead and reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a scroll. He wiped the blood on the scroll, giving him bandages. He cut a piece and wiped his forehead, removing all traces of blood. He then sealed the remaining bandages back into the scroll. He tossed bloody bandage in the air with an exploding tag, erasing it from existence. Sumiko and Hiroku then walked over to their sensei.

"What now sensei," Kasumi questioned.

"All three of you fight me," Taisuke responded simply.

"Seriously," Hiroku said.

"Yep. Ten minute time limit this time around." They nodded and all three of them jumped back together. 'I need to see how they act as a team.'

"Ready..." The group was discussing with each other.

"Okay," they said together.

"Begin."

Hiroku charged at Taisuke. He jumped in the air and tried to land a punch. Taisuke reflected the punch and threw Hiroku behind him. Hiroku jumped backwards and attempted to land a reverse kick. Taisuke caught the foot. Hiroku flipped and tried to fire a punch to his head. Taisuke dodged the attack allowing Hiroku to swing on his shoulder and try to kick him in the face. Taisuke blocked the kick with an elbow, grabbed Hiroku's foot, and tossed him toward his teammates. Sumiko and Kasumi caught Hiroku and threw him toward Taisuke. Hiroku prepared the Mystical Palm Technique again after landing on his feet. Taisuke smirked and began forming hand signs.

"Water Style: Liquid Bullet Jutsu." Taisuke opened his mouth wide as a high-powered water blast aimed at Hiroku dead on. Kasumi jumped in front of Hiroku finishing her hand seals.

"Sound Style: Shockwave Jutsu," Kasumi yelled clapping her hands. The sound and wind attack barely stopped the water blast as Hiroku and Kasumi retreated. Sumiko sent her steel wire toward her sensei. She felt three grab his hand.

"Kasumi, try again," Sumiko yelled. Kasumi nodded and prepared the attack.

"Sound Style: Shockwave Jutsu."

Taisuke used his free hand to use a kunai and cut the steel wire. He then did another group of hand signs. "Wind Style: Air Bullet," Taisuke yelled as he opened his mouth allowing compressed air to come out blocking the Shockwave. "Taisuke then did another set of hand seals.

"Lightning Style: Thunder Arrow." Taisuke clapped his hands and stuck his left index finger out. Yellow chakra appeared in the form of a bow. His other hand touched the new bow and pulled out an arrow of similar chakra. "Alright kids. Try this," he said. He closed an eye and fired the arrow. The arrow hit in front of the group. The arrow then exploded with lightning. Taisuke looked over and saw all the kids on the ground. He dispersed his arrow and watched as they disappeared into logs. "What!"

"Up here," Hiroku said as all three genin jumped from the tree kunai in hand. Taisuke smirked.

"Well, you guys can get the job done, I'll give you that, but..." he said performing hand signs again. "I'm still much stronger than you," he said stopping with the horse sign.

"We'll see about that," Sumiko said.

"No matter how strong you are, you can't hit all of us at once," Kasumi said readying her kunai.

"Yes, I can." His students looked at him skeptically.

"Lightning Style: Lightning Armor." The three students tried hitting him together at the same time. As they did an intense electric field electrocuted them and knocked each off them to the ground hard. "Shadow Clone Jutsu." Three copies of Taisuke appeared and grabbed each of the students by the collar.

"Well, you three, I must say your teamwork is excellent. You understand at least the basics of teamwork. Now for the second exam. His students looked at him wide-eyed. It was apparent they were tired. He grinned widely. It was going to be a scroll finding test, but I see no need for it."

"Why?" Hiroku said gasping for air.

The clones disappeared. "Because you three passed."

"Seriously," all three said.

"Yes. You three are officially genin," Taisuke said.

The three students fell onto the ground laughing. "We did it," Kasumi yelled raising her hands in the air.

"Yeah," Sumiko said calmly.

"A step closer to our dreams," Hiroku said. The girls nodded.

"Tomorrow you need to take a picture for your ninja license. Afterwards, we start training. Expect to learn quite a bit of ninjutsu from me," Taisuke said. They nodded. "Do you guys think you will be fine here?"

"Yeah. We just need a break," Hiroku said.

"Alright. I'm going to report to the Hokage about your promotion. Take it easy and be proud of yourselves," Taisuke said. He then left.

Team 4 stood there staring at the sunset. "I guess we know that he is a jounin level ninja now, right?" Hiroku said finally after a few minutes of silence.

"Yeah," the girls said dreamily.

"Dinner at Ichiraku's?" Hiroku said sitting up.

"Sure," Kasumi said still laying down.

"How do you have so much energy?" Sumiko asked.

"Chakra control," Hiroku said.

"Anyway, can you heal our injuries, Hiroku?" Kasumi asked, a large grin plastered to her face.

"Sure."

"Me too," Sumiko said with a large grin as well.

"Sumiko," Hiroku said healing her injuries.

"Yes."

"You're paying, you know that, right."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taisuke walked on the top of buildings to get to the Hokage Tower faster. "Those kids are going to be something. All they need is a little polishing. The chunin exam is in three months. I have a lot to teach them. I guess I need to learn their chakra affinities first. So much to do."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"So how did the tournament go," Sumiko's dad asked again.
"Everyone won one and lost two. Everyone lost to our sensei. I lost to Kasumi, but beat Hiroku."

"You lost to the long haired girl?"

"I underestimated her."

"Sumiko, so did I. Rule #1: Never underestimate your opponents. Forgetting that will get you killed. Anyway, you'll get stronger. I'm so proud of my little girl." He grabbed her and gave her a big hug. Now, who is your sensei anyway? I forgot to ask last night."

"Taisuke Shibata."

"Him!"

"You know him?"

"Yes. He is a ninjutsu expert. If I know him like I think I know him he'll train you well."

"I see."

"Anyway, I'm proud of you and I want to meet this team of yours."

"Right. One day, you will."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Well there is the second chapter. I hope to improve on the fight scenes as time goes along. As a first try, I thought it was alright even though I focused mainly on taijutsu. A special thanks goes out to ansatsuha for letting me use his genin exam idea of a three way tournament followed by a match with their sensei. Until next chapter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sign up to rate and review this story