Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Unexpected Endeavors

Unexpected Endeavors

by scottishfae 0 reviews

IYFG Nominee // An unexpected request rocks the shard hunting group when Kagome, mistakenly, agrees to the deal. Now the group must not only deal with the end of their quest but a moody Kagome, an ...

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Humor, Parody, Romance - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome, Kikyo, Kirara, Koga, Miroku, Naraku, Rin, Sango, Sesshoumaru, Shippo - Published: 2007-05-16 - Updated: 2007-05-17 - 3633 words

0Unrated
Title: Unexpected Endeavors
Author: scottishfae
Rating: M
Pairing: Sesshomaru x Kagome
Summary: The shard hunting group is rocked by an unexpected request from Sesshomaru and forced to endure the deal when, by mistake, Kagome agrees to his offer. Now the group must not only deal with the end of their quest but a moody Kagome, an irritated Taiyoukai, and a very jealous half-demon.

A/Ns: This idea basically came to me as a joke and I'm not going to try to take it too seriously. Because of that, the characters may seem a bit OOC. I'm going to try and avoid this as much as possible, considering I don't like reading fics like that myself and don't want to force that onto other people. Just keep in my mind, that situation can bring out different aspects of a person's personality/character, and that's what I'm playing on. Enjoy!

Much thanks goes to /yukihime/ who has so kindly agreed to become my beta! Chapters are currently being edited and re-uploaded to all my sites. Sorry for the inconvenience, but hopefully this means a better quality of work from now on.

Disclaimer: I do not own IY nor do I make any profit from these works of fiction.

-----

Chapter One: Unexpected Endeavors

-----

The sun crept over the horizon, showering down its warming rays on everything underneath. Winter was finally ebbing and the evidence of a productive and beautiful spring was beginning to bloom. The gray world was finally melting into lush greens and the spirits of the wondering group of shard hunters was finally beginning rise.

Naraku had been silent, though no one believed he would remain so. The shards were almost all gathered but still split between the two clashing forces. The whole group was anxious to finish the battle and get the remaining shards back. Inuyasha was particularly in a foul mood and constantly jumpy, ready for any type of an attack. The rest of the group carried on life as usual, doing their best to ignore the paranoid hanyou and his testy temper.

They were currently camped out in a clearing in the woods, heading back to Kaede's village for a brief break in their search. Kagome needed more supplies, not to mention a chance to attend some school. The others agreed that a chance to set up a plan of attack for the future would be a good idea as well.

The group had awakened to the rising sun and immediately began their daily duties: packing up camp and preparing breakfast before they left.

"Kagome-chan," Sango said.

She sat down next to the other girl who was tending to the fire. Miroku sat across from them, helping Shippo with the water he had just collected. "Is there anything else I can do?"

Kagome looked up from the fire, her cheeks were flushed from the heat. "No, thanks though. I've got everything under control--"

A growl penetrated the conversation, ringing through the area. Inuyasha jumped down from his perch, his teeth bared and Tessaiga drawn. As an almost automatic response, Sango and Miroku jumped into fighting positions, weapons in hand, while Shippo moved to Kagome's embrace. The two elder humans shielded Kagome and Shippo from any possible attack.

"What is it Inuyasha?" Miroku asked, expanding his senses in order to pick up danger.

"Sesshomaru," the hanyou growled.

The group tensed and stared into the area of woods Inuyasha was growling angrily at. Behind Sango and Miroku, Kagome began to look for where she put her bow and arrows, lest she be needed in the impending fight.

"Ah, Kagome!" Shippo yelped.

She whipped around, along with the rest of the group, to see Sesshomaru coming out of the forest in the opposite direction they had originally been prepared. He was clad in his usual white outfit, standing out from the browns and blooming greens of the area around him. He glanced around the area, taking in the odd group before finally looking down in contempt at the growling fox kit in front of him. Shippo stood in front of Kagome, prepared to defend her with what abilities he had. Sesshomaru was tempted to laugh at the futile defense.

"Miko," the Taiyoukai said.

Kagome blinked in surprise that he would address her, but before she could contemplate it more, Inuyasha jumped in front of her, rashly attacking his elder brother. The hanyou was swatted off like an annoying insect and flew across the clearing to hit one of the large trees. It cracked under the force.

"This has nothing to do with you half-breed," Sesshomaru spoke calmly.

He turned again to the girl. "W-what do you want?" Kagome asked nervously, reaching out to grab the kitsune and cuddle him to her chest for protection. He did not stop growling, though his shaking subsided in the comfort of her arms.

Sango and Miroku had come up to flank on either side of them. Neither felt any threat from the inuyoukai but that didn't mean they were happy with him being so close. He was unreadable and could easily take them out without so much as flicker in his eyes.

"I request your assistance in a matter of some importance," he said.

"Why are you asking for our help?" Inuyasha said.

He marched from the tree he had collided with and made his way to block his brother's view of Kagome. Sesshomaru eyed his brother, his brow lifting. "I don't believe I included you in my request. Only the miko, Higurashi Kagome is needed."

The group looked stunned at the Taiyoukai's declaration. Kagome was surprised he had even known her name, her full name at that. "Um, w-what do you want?" She asked.

Inuyasha spun around. "Don't you even think about helping him Kagome. He's evil! He'll probably just kidnap you and then make me give him the Tessaiga in return," he said.

Turning to face Sesshomaru again, he addressed his elder brother. "And don't think I'll give up our father's sword for her!"

The dog-eared hanyou instantly regretted the words as he found himself eating dirt seconds later from a particularly wicked sit. "Who got you that sword in the first place, dog boy?" she yelled at him.

"Kagome-san, calm down," Miroku tried to placate. "He was just bluffing, of course."

The houshi kicked the hanyou in the side. Inuyasha grunted. His ears were tight against his skull making him look like a guilty puppy. Kagome crossed her arms, chin held high, and did her best to ignore the grounded hanyou.

"What do you want with Kagome-chan?" Sango asked.

She had not taken her eyes off the Taiyoukai the entire time. Her grip remained tight on her weapons, Kirara behind her, transformed and ready.

"It is none of your concern Taijiya," he spoke. "Only the miko's."

"You don't get it," Sango said, crouching down as if to attack. "Kagome-chan is our friend, if you have something to bring up with her, then you bring it up with all of us. You don't exactly have our trust to go running off with one of our friends."

Sesshomaru's face kept its mask of indifference as Sango spoke, his twitching hands the only proof of his growing impatience. "Sesshomaru-sama," Kagome said. She bowed low out of respect. "I would like to stay with my friends, as an easier way to control Inuyasha--"

"Hey you bitch, what--"

"So if it is at all possible to discuss this in their presence, I would be grateful to hear what I can help you with. If not, then I'm afraid I'll have to decline."

The seconds seemed to pass slowly as he examined Kagome before he nodded his approval. Kagome bowed again, thanking him for compromising. She motioned for him to sit by the fire they had built earlier. He declined and remained standing, his eyes focused on her. "What may I help you with?" Kagome asked.

"You will bear my son."

With that brief utterance time seemed to stop. Even the natural sounds of the awakening forest stopped in shock and disbelief.

"W-what?" The whole group seemed to scream at once.

"You will bear my son."

Kagome looked around at her friends seeing similar looks of surprise etched on each face. Even Inuyasha had wretched his face out of the dirt to look horrified at his brother's demand.

"Um, did we just enter some weird dimension where Sesshomaru is really Miroku?"

She looked at both men before a horrific idea came about. She jumped away from the Taiyoukai. "You aren't going to grope me now, are you?"

Sesshomaru looked down his nose at the miko, questioning his choice since her sanity was obviously missing. "This Sesshomaru would never stoop so low as to molest you."

"But you just asked her to bear you a child," Sango interjected.

"Not any child, a son," the inuyoukai corrected. "I am in need of an heir. I do not want a pointless alliance with a troublesome creature but my son's mother needs to be powerful both to produce a powerful offspring and to protect herself once the child is born. Miko Higurashi Kagome fits my requirements."

Inuyasha had peeled himself off the ground and rushed, claws bared, at his brother. Again, Sesshomaru easily evaded and sent his half-brother flying.

"Wait, so you just want me to have your son?" Kagome said.

Sesshomaru nodded. "That's it? You just take me for a person who would...would lie with you then have your child and then disappear out of your life, and more importantly out of /my son's life/, like nothing ever happened?"

There was a flicker of emotion in his eyes. Her scent had changed to barely contained anger and he felt a brief confusion as to why. "You are not required to raise my son. I will do it so that he will be strong and a proper heir. Once my son is born, I will take him to be brought up be a youkai wet nurse," he said. He spoke as if everything he said should sound perfectly logical.

"And what am I to do after you take our son?" She said, her anger continuing to rise.

"Whatever you wish, you will no longer be of use to me. I am sure you could find employment as a wet nurse to some of the nobles," his eyes shot down to the little fox youkai growling at him. "Or you could even allow this little whelp to suckle."

Inuyasha, who had remained silent to this point, growled deeply. "Shut the fuck up Sesshomaru. Why would you want Kagome to have your child anyway? It would be hanyou, you hate half-breeds."

Sesshomaru turned his head to take in his brother's sitting form. He was surprisingly calm given the situation. He sat with one leg propped up, his arm and sheathed sword resting on that leg, with his other curled underneath the raised leg. "I do not hate all half-breeds," Sesshomaru said. "Just you."

"Why you bastard!"

The hanyou jumped off the ground. He unsheathed Tessaiga again but held his ground instead of irrationally charging in. The Taiyoukai raised his brow at the action. "I am surprised, Inuyasha, you are gaining some common sense."

"I have common sense enough to know that you're up to something," the hanyou growled.

"No," Kagome interjected. "I don't think he is."

The group looked over at Kagome who was standing oddly calm. She was taking in Sesshomaru's form with her head cocked to the side and her expression filled with questions.

"Kagome," Inuyasha said, his voice cracking with emotion. "You aren't actually considering taking up his offer?"

Kagome looked over to Inuyasha, the same odd look on her face. The group waited patiently for her to answer. She straightened her posture and looked around to her friends. "You'd actually think I'd take up his offer?"

"Well, Kagome-chan, you weren't exactly protesting a second ago," Sango supplied.

"Because I'm still amazed at the arrogance of this jerk!" Kagome turned to face the Taiyoukai. "You hear that? You're a jerk!"

She stepped forward so she was just out of his reach, though with his speed that really didn't matter much. "You can't just come here asking me to bear a child that you'd then take away and leave me to nothing. It doesn't work like that. You're thinking of only yourself and not what would happen to everyone else involved. Especially the child!"

"You are declining my request."

Kagome put her hands on her hips, her foot tapping. "It never really sounded like a request in the first place, more like an order. And like hell any woman in their right mind would bear your child given those conditions."

"So it is my conditions that are the issue?"

"Of course! Change those and I'm sure you'll find a reasonable person to bear your heir."

Sesshomaru smirked, something that looked more akin to Inuyasha. "Fine, you are a reasonable person."

Kagome smiled. "Thank you. That's very kind of you to say."

"I will change my conditions. The bearer of my son will be allowed to visit--"

Kagome sighed and sunk to the ground. She turned to look at Sango. "He still doesn't get it. No woman will just want to visit their child."

"It's not completely unheard of, Kagome-san," Miroku supplied.

She looked over to the monk who had returned to his position by the fire. Since their unexpected guest didn't seem to be a problem, he decided to return their morning routine. "Really?"

Sango nodded, taking her seat back up as well. Inuyasha was still glaring daggers at his brother, ready to strike if it was needed. "Yes, Kagome-chan, if a woman can't take care of a child, it's best to give it up in order for the child to continue living."

"But that's not the same kind of situation," Kagome argued.

Sango shrugged her shoulders.

"A mother tends to coddle a son, making him weak. It is unacceptable for the woman to help in the child raising," Sesshomaru said, bringing attention back to himself.

Inuyasha growled low and menacing, his grip tightening on his sword. "I was raised by my mother."

"And look how you turned out."

Kagome threw up her arms. "Would you two stop it? That's so not called for. We're trying to help Sesshomaru out here, not start a fight." She gave Inuyasha a look that threatened him with a sit if he continued to be rude. "And I disagree with your logic. A mother doesn't necessarily coddle a child; it's all about how she helps raise them. Sure, the mother tends to be the more nurturing of the parents, but that doesn't mean she can't be tough on them as well. I mean, my mom raises my brother and look how he is--"

"Not a good example," Inuyasha muttered.

The teen's head turned quickly to face Inuyasha. Her eyes were narrowed as she took in his form. He refused to look in her eyes. "Did you just call my brother weak?"

Inuyasha snorted. "He's got guts," he supplied. "But that's about it. He'd die pretty quickly in this world."

"You jerk!" Kagome screamed. Both inuyoukai flinched at the high-pitched noise. "You know, I'm not even going to 'it you, it's too good for you."

Miroku tried to hide his snort of laughter under a cough. Sango hid her smile behind her sleeve. Shippo didn't even bother hiding his amusement, and soon found an angry hanyou chasing after him.

"What are the conditions you suggest?" the Taiyoukai asked, trying to get things moving again.

"Oh, um," Kagome stuttered. Her cheeks were pink in embarrassment for forgetting the subject at hand. "Well, since you seem to not want to marry...er, mate, anyone, then why not just offer some sort relationship that allows you both to raise the child."

"You'd need to offer protection, both during and after the pregnancy," Sango added.

Kagome nodded her agreement. The water had started to boil and she took the kettle off the fire. With practiced grace she filled each ramen cup with water before putting the kettle aside.

"Basics provisions like home, food, clothing, need to be taken care of during the pregnancy when she can't provide for herself," Kagome said, looking up from her work. "Of course, you could easily just bring her into your palace, or home, or wherever you live..." she paused and looked at him, her head cocked to the side. "Where do you live? I've always seen you wandering about, do you even have a home?"

"Of course this Sesshomaru has a home," he said. "And the option of having the mother live at my palace is not acceptable."

"Huh? Why not?"

Miroku stepped in to clear the confusion. "It would be a very...odd, to say the least, for a woman to live in a household, especially a Lord's household, without the woman being claimed as a mistress or a wife. And if she were claimed as one of those, she would legally be bound to the Lord and therefore never allowed to leave."

Kagome's mouth opened in silent understanding. "Well that makes sense...well no it doesn't, but customs are customs and so that option is out. So just take care of her. Not too hard to do. Taking care of her, especially during the pregnancy, means the child will be healthier when it's born."

Sesshomaru nodded, accepting her logic. "Are these all the conditions?"

The teen looked over to the other members of her group. They shrugged, not able to think of anything else. Inuyasha was still chasing Shippo and not paying attention to the conversation at hand. "Yeah, I think that's it."

Sesshomaru nodded again. "Accepted."

Kagome face scrunched up confused at the response. "Huh?"

Miroku and Sango's face went white and they turned to stare at the Taiyoukai. "Wait," Miroku said, willing Inuyasha to come back to the camp...and quickly. "Accepted? You can't mean--"

"Miko Higurashi Kagome offered a counter-offer for the terms of bearing my son. I agree to the conditions. The deal is made."

Kagome's body froze. The colour in her face fled quickly and her hands lost their grip on the ramen cup she was holding. The contents fell to the ground, soaking into her shoes and discolouring her white socks. "W-what?" she whispered.

"This Sesshomaru will not repeat himself miko. I accept your conditions. By the next new moon you will be expected to begin your part of the deal. I will go and set about the preparations for my own part."

"W-wait, but--"

"Do not dishonour yourself by going back on a deal miko. It is not who you are," Sesshomaru said.

He looked over to see a Inuyasha heading back to camp, an abused kitsune hanging onto his forelocks. "I will go now. I expect you to be prepared for when I return."

Without waiting for a response, the Taiyoukai left the clearing leaving three shocked and speechless humans. "Hey what's going on here?" Shippo asked.

The kit's voice snapped the three out of their shock and they turned to look at the hanyou. "Inu-Inuyasha," Kagome cried. "When is the next new moon?"

The hanyou looked surprised at the outburst. "A week and a half from now, why?"

He looked around the clearing for Sesshomaru then narrowed his eyes. Kagome had buried her head in her hands and began to half sob, half freak out. "Kagome?"

Inuyasha dropped Shippo to the ground before rushing over to the teen's side. "Did that bastard threaten you? Did he say he was planning something around the new moon?"

He looked around at the other two humans of the group. Sango was still looking deathly pale and Miroku's hands were gripping tightly to his staff. "I'm afraid Kagome has unknowingly agreed to Sesshomaru's request."

"His request?" Inuyasha's eyes widened as he remembered the earlier events. "What the hell? You agreed to have his kid?"

Kagome sobbed. "I-I didn't mean to. I didn't think--"

"Well that's obvious."

Miroku's staff came down hard on the hanyou's head. He turned to glare at the houshi, rubbing the noticeable knot that was swelling at the back of his head. "What was that for?"

"You are being rude to Kagome-san," Miroku informed. "And she does not deserve it. She was not aware of what she was doing, and neither were Sango-san and I."

"Well that makes all three of you stupid."

Kagome looked up, a gleam in her eye making everyone in the group nervous. "Inuyasha?"

Her voice was sweet but the hanyou knew better. He took off as fast as he could, trying to get out of hearing range before her wrath fell upon him.

-----

"Sesshomaru-sama?" Rin asked as the Taiyoukai entered the clearing she, Ah-Un, and Jaken were occupying.

"Yes Rin?"

"What was that noise?"

His mouth twitched in slight humour from the feminine scream that had just moments earlier echoed throughout the area. An answering thud was the only indication that the human miko had subdued his half-brother once again.

"It was the sound of a pest being put in his place."

Rin cocked her head to the side before straightening up and accepting the answer. "Where are we going now Sesshomaru-sama?"

"We are heading west again."

Jaken, holding Ah-Un's reigns, came waddling up. "Are we returning to the palace, Sesshomaru-sama?"

"No, we are preparing a safe home for the miko Higurashi Kagome."

Without another word he walked out of the clearing and back into the forest. Rin was close behind, looking around with wide eyes at the new greenery that was sprouting up around her. Jaken, confused and downtrodden, followed the other two trying to keep Ah-Un from eating his hat.

-----

TBC...

/Reviews are love!/


additional edits finished on 05-21-07; re-posted on 07-03-07
Sign up to rate and review this story