Categories > Books > Stephen King > The Secrets Within

Chapter One: Wakesville

by Roma 3 reviews

None

Category: Stephen King - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Published: 2005-11-23 - Updated: 2005-11-24 - 358 words

0Unrated
Chapter One: Wakesville

It was a cold, stormy day on the streets of Wakesville. The weather was like this often. The relatives of the people living in Wakesville seldom came to visit their family there. The place scared them half to death. It took no visitors from other places, so it had no motels, hotels, or any other place to stay at for that matter.
The reason people stayed away from this ghostly land was because of its aberrant happenings. There were mysterious fires, the weather was always gloomy, and none of the people in this town seemed to be curious about these things. They minded their own business, as if their curiosity never got to the best of them. An excellent example of this was how they reacted to the Henderson Mansion.
Henderson Mansion was a towering, castle-like mansion that stood upon the highest hill in Wakesville, overlooking the town. No one ever went in, no one ever came out. But the fact that nobody cared was what scared most outsiders. If it were them, they would have gone into the mansion and explored a bit, but the townspeople knew better.
There were stories that a wealthy family lived in there, but they liked keeping their lives private. They were the role models for the rest of the town, since the people who lived there kept their lives private as well. Nothing was ever known about the family, except for the fact that they had moved into the mansion around 1945 and hadn't come out since.
They had hired maids and butlers to do everything for them. But of course, the servants of the family weren't allowed to speak a word of what happened at work to anyone, no matter how much they were interrogated to do so. Fifteen or so years ago, they were all fired for some odd reason. A rumor then started going around town that the family had all starved to death after firing all of their help. But no one believed these rumors anymore. No one even dared to find out the real truth...until one curious boy and his friends came along.
Sign up to rate and review this story