Categories > Books > Stephen King > The Secrets Within

Chapter Two: Too Curious

by Roma 0 reviews

None

Category: Stephen King - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Published: 2005-11-23 - Updated: 2005-11-24 - 781 words

0Unrated
Chapter Two: Too Curious

"Orion, get back inside! You're going to catch a cold," a tall, blonde woman with blue eyes wearing a light pink apron yelled outside. She looked as if she were in her early forties. Lauren Williams stood by the doorway watching her son sitting under a tree getting soaked. "Orion! This is the last time I'm telling you before you're grounded from ever coming out here again." She gave him that one last warning, turned on her heels, and walked back inside.
Orion Williams, a fairly tall, sixteen-year-old, brown-haired boy with green eyes, sighed as his mother started yelling at him. Trying to tune out every word she said, he stared up at the rain clouds in wonder as the raindrops fell upon his face, even though it was already soaked. He was a very curious boy. Too curious, as his mother had always said. But he had a good reason to be. It had been raining for twenty-seven days in a row. He had been counting.
Just then, his thoughts were interrupted by a car door slamming shut. He didn't even bother to look, for he knew that it was his father. He closed his eyes and leaned back upon the tree, letting more raindrops fall onto his face.
Walking upon the stony path that lead to their house, Gregory Williams, a man with blonde hair and grey eyes, stopped as he noticed his son sitting under the towering Oak tree in the front yard - again. He had been doing this for a few days now and Greg couldn't help but wonder why. He walked over to the boy and stood in front of him.
"Here again? I thought your mother had said you weren't allowed to come out here in the rain," he said, quite calmly with a friendly smile on his face.
"She always says stuff like that. She never really means it," Orion replied, his eyes still closed. "Plus, I, unlike her, am curious as to why it had been raining for so many days in a row."
"It's not good to be too curious, you know," his father replied.
"You can never be 'too curious,'" Orion retorted, finally opening his eyes. "You're home early."
"Curiosity kills. You'll learn that some day," Greg said back. "But yes, I am home early. Because of the rain, no fires have been started lately." Since Greg worked at the local fire department, he was frequently home early because of the strange fires. "Can we go inside now, before we both get grounded or sick?"
Orion stood up. "Okay." He was very close to his father. He was the only person Orion would ever listen to. His word was like no one else's.
They both walked inside the warm, well-furnished house. Greg took off his coat and hung it on the coat rack while Orion just shook his head, getting water from his hair flying everywhere.
His father laughed as little droplets of water began to hit the furniture. "You'd better stop that before mom gets in here and yells. You know she is when it comes to her clean house."
Orion nodded, smiling, as he stopped shaking his head and ran upstairs to his room. At the top of the stairs, he went into the second door on his right and entered a messy, white-walled room with posters of rock bands up on the walls. He spent most of his time up here, contemplating about things he was always curious about. It was his study and his domain.
He walked over to his closet and got out a pair of clothes to change into, since the ones he was wearing right now were drenched with rain. Quickly changing, he sat down on a chair by his window and looked out at the rain splattering against the windows. It was raining so hard, you could hardly see anything besides it. But Orion saw. He always saw and wondered. The view from his window was that of Henderson Mansion.
He sometimes sat there for hours, wondering what could be in that house of horrors. It was just screaming to be explored by him. The problem was that if his parents had found out, he was not going to get away with it. His parents were under a lot of stress as it was, so it was better not to burden them with a troublesome son.
"Orion, come down for dinner!" his father yelled up to him and, once again, snapping him back to reality.
He got up from his spot, glancing back at the mansion one last time, before turning his back to the window and heading downstairs.
Sign up to rate and review this story