Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Moonlight

Scroll three: Crimes and Punishments

by kirayasha 1 review

A Sesshomaru story...

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Sesshoumaru, Other - Warnings: [R] - Published: 2005-11-26 - Updated: 2005-11-26 - 11793 words

0Unrated
Moonlight

Author's notes: the author wants to thank Ithilwen for all her hard work in beat-ing this fic! That & a chocolate bunny for her too!


Scroll three: Crimes and Punishments


"Come, Pretty One, and let us get that seen to," Takahara said as he gently guided Tsukikage away from the barracks and towards the palace. He glanced back over his shoulder and noted with smug satisfaction that the Waka-sama was standing there looking helplessly at the two of them. /You may be Inutaisho-dono's son, but in the end she'll be mine, Whelp, and the sooner you realize this, the better... /He chuckled softly to himself as they walked away.

"Gomen nasai... Did you say something Takahara-sama?"

"Iie. Come, I know of something that will take the sting away from that," he said as he gently stroked the back of his finger against her wound.

"Arigatou...you are most kind..." Tsuki replied shyly.

"Keh! It is nothing. You are injured and it is my duty to see to it that you are taken care of. Do you think you can manage to walk just a bit farther?" he said with a smile as he gently pulled her closer to him. "Your wound appears to be poisonous and I would not want you to suddenly faint on me," Takahara said smoothly.

"Hai...but I assure you I'm fine..." Tsuki smiled again to cover up her uncertainty about what he was up to.

"You're sure?" Takahara said as he raised an eyebrow at her.

"Hai. Ummm... we're here now."

"Hai...that we are. Perhaps you are right in that you are much better than you look."

"What do you mean?" she asked as she raised a hand to her cheek.

"Well, it is just that you look a bit pale."

"Then perhaps I should go lie down for a while in my room, ne?" Tsukikage said softly as she moved away from him.

"Hai. That is a wise decision. Please, you must allow me to escort you there or at least as far as the women's quarters, so that if anything should happen..." he said innocently as he tried to push his luck and get her to invite him to her room.

Tsukikage merely shook her head in response as she frowned. They walked on in silence and as they neared the women's quarters, Tsukikage paused for she thought she heard footsteps behind her. "What was that?"

"Nothing, Pretty One, come," he purred as he heard the footsteps too. Shit! You had better not be the one following us, Whelp! The girl's coming with me and she's going to end up with me anyway, so why don't you be a good little pup like your bitch of a mother taught you to be and run along. /The footsteps continued behind them and Takahara surreptitiously tried to scent the air in the hope of discovering who was following them. Tsukikage frowned and asked him about what he was doing. Takahara sneezed in reply and the older youkai was pleased when she showed a bit of concern for his health. Still, it bothered him that he could not catch the scent of their follower. The air in the inner corridors was always still and he wondered if the waka-sama were using it to his advantage in tracking them. Annoyed, Takahara stepped up their paced a bit while he tried to distract the girl from noticing the footsteps any further. /You may think you're very clever for trailing us this way, Whelp, but I promise you; you'll regret it if I catch you...

Takahara had silently thanked the gods for giving him the perfect opportunity to get invited to her room. He had hoped to ultimately end up in her bed and he was getting angry at the thought of the waka-sama somehow putting a stop to it, if only by his presence. The older youkai still was not sure if Sesshomaru had already had her or not, and he figured he had nothing to loose either way. Perhaps in this instance I will content myself with your leavings, Whelp, especially if I can convince her of the merits of an older and more experienced lover.../Takahara cast a long and hungry look at the girl by his side. /Particularly if I can convince her that having a lover who knows one end of his cock from the other, is much better than having one who thinks it's only used for pissing... Pretty One, if you would only give me half a chance, I could show you things that would have you begging me for a second chance at pillowing... Lost in his reverie, it took him a few minutes to realize the girl had stopped at the sound of a soft voice behind them. Scowling briefly in frustration, he turned along with Tsuki, while he plastered a polite smile on his face. They were both surprised to find not an angry youkai prince standing there but a concerned looking human woman instead.

"Tsukikage-hime, Takahara-sama...is there a problem?" Ningen-hime asked. She too was on her way to the women's quarters. News of the incident had traveled fast and she wished to see if the girl was alright.

"Iie...I've hurt myself and Takahara-sama was seeing to it I made it back to my room without incident..."

"I see...then I thank you for your assistance, Takahara-sama." She nodded politely to the youkai general. "Since I am here, I can see to it that she makes it back to her room without any problem. This way you needn't go out of your way... unless you were going to see Toukasa-chan?"

"You are welcome, my lady...." he said as he inwardly cursed the human woman for showing up at a most inopportune moment. "Actually I wasn't planning on it as I believe she had things to do this afternoon." He paused and looked from the human woman to the youkai girl and back. He fumed inwardly while Ningen-hime went to help Tsuki. "Well, if you need any further assistance...?" He gave her his best sincere smile.

"Iie...I do not believe so. Now if you will excuse us," Ningen-hime said as she bowed slightly and walked away with the girl leaving the youkai general fuming behind them. "I heard what happened, Little One, and I came to see if you were alright," Ningen-hime said softly as they walked on.

"Word travels fast, ne?" Tsukikage said as a blush settled on her cheeks.

"Hai, that it does...." She smiled. "What happened that you and the Waka-sama were seen publicly fighting like that? You know Inutaisho-dono-sama will hear of this and soon, no doubt." She sighed.

"Hai...I didn't mean to start anything...it's just that he didn't do anything when those men started bothering me..."

"I see ... but you do know this is your own fault, as you were warned not to go there. Besides, I heard he did stop them," the human women gently pointed out.

"Hai...but it wasn't soon enough! He shouldn't have let them bother me at all." Tsuki pouted.

"Perhaps...but didn't it occur to you that the Waka-sama may have been trying in his own way to behave as his father does with his men? Inutaisho-dono-sama is known for giving his men a chance to see the error of their ways, as well as a chance to correct it, before he steps in."

"Iie...maybe you're right..." Tsuki reluctantly admitted.

"Hai, it's possible. But then you realize, by behaving as you did, you have placed the Waka-sama in a difficult situation..."

"Hunh? I mean I know I was warned, and I guess I shouldn't have fought with him..." She thought about what her friend said. "But what do you mean by 'difficult situation'?"

"First of all, the Waka-sama is trying his best to learn the ways of warfare from the men and being the Waka-sama there is always the possibility he is given... ummm... 'leniency' for being the lord's son...has it not occurred to you that he may have wished to be treated as their equal? So having a woman there is forbidden except for the 'camp followers'..." she said quietly as she tried to keep the embarrassment from her voice. "Besides, I doubt very much if he wants it known that he favors you. So many of the other women of the court, both young and old have courted his favor, and so far he has turned them down..." Ningen-hime sighed. "Tsukikage, are you alright?" she asked with sudden concern.

"I am fine...why?"

"Your cheek is starting to bruise and swell up. I thought perhaps it hurts, as it certainly looks as though it would," Ningen-hime said as she gently touched Tsukikage's cheek.

Wincing slightly, Tsukikage replied, "It didn't hurt all that much before... actually it only hurt for a few minutes after it happened..."

"Come, let us hurry and I will get Baba-chan to come and take a look at it. You told me you have inu-youkai blood in you, ne?"

"Hai..."

"Then that is good as it means you will probably not get too sick...that is if I am correct about inu-youkai. I've heard too, that you may have been poisoned from the blow...."

"Oh...." Tsukikage said softly.

They walked on towards the women's quarters. Once there, Ningen-hime went in search of Baba-chan. Baba-chan was an old youkai whom everyone assumed was Inutaisho-dono-sama's grandmother or possibly great grandmother. She was ancient and as winkled as a dried plum. Despite moments of forgetfulness, she was still considered the one to come to when someone was ill or there was a pup to be whelped.

Tsukikage patiently waited for them in her room. She was pleasantly surprised when some of the ladies of the court paid her a visit for she had not attracted much attention before. They made tea for her and fussed over her the way her mother used to do when she was little. Tsuki enjoyed the attention immensely until she remembered what Ningen-hime had told her about those who would court her favor if it were known she had the Waka-sama's ear.

Tsukikage was relieved when Ningen-hime showed up along with Baba-chan. The human woman quietly ushered the youkai women out and Tsuki breathed a sigh of relief as the noise was being to tire her. After Ningen-hime introduced Tsuki to Baba-chan, she went and made tea for the elderly youkai. Baba-chan meanwhile looked at the wound on Tsukikage's cheek and gently probed it a few times, before asking the human woman to boil some more water for her. Tsukikage was fascinated by the elderly youkai who seemed to know everyone and anyone who was part of Inutaisho's court for she told the young girl many stories about various people who had lived there while she gently cleaned and probed the wound.

"What are you going to do now, Baba-chan?" Tsukikage asked softly as she gently touched sore cheek.

"I'm going to make a poultice which should draw out the poison and help heal the wound. We'll just leave it there on your cheek until it cools then I have something to put on it so it won't scar. You're lucky the Waka-sama only scratched you. I've seen him do worse...." She continued to mutter to herself as she set about making said poultice. When she had finished, she smoothed the paste on Tsuki's cheek. "Just leave sit there until it cools and then rinse it off. You'll still look bad for a while, but the bruise will be gone when you get up in the morning." Baba-chan took a few sips of her tea.

"Arigatou, Baba-chan. You know it feels better already!" Tsuki exclaimed and the elderly youkai smiled over her tea.

"By the way, I have heard that you and the Waka-sama had a lovers' quarrel...I remember when I was that young and foolish..." Baba-chan said with a laugh and Tsukikage felt her cheeks heat up as she blushed.

"You may have been that young once, Baba-chan, but I doubt very much you were ever foolish...." Ningen-hime said as she gave the younger girl a smile.

"It wasn't a lovers' quarrel at all, Baba-chan...it was just that I was in trouble and I felt the Waka-sama didn't do anything about it.....so I called him a pile of horse shit..." she trailed off softly.

Baba-chan laughed. "Horse shit! I have always warned his mother that if she didn't stop indulging him all the time and let the pup grow up she was going to have a royal pain in the ass on her hands....'horse shit'?!" The old woman laughed again until she started coughing.

"Are you alright, Baba-chan?!" Tsukikage cried, alarmed at seeing the old woman having a fit. She gave Ningen-hime a puzzled look as the human gently patted the old youkai on her back.

"Here, have some tea before you scare the girl half to death... She'll be fine, Little One."

"Hai! When you have lived as long as I have, Little One, you will have seen and heard it all. One day when you are well and this is but an old forgotten memory, I will tell you stories about the Waka-sama....funny little pup he was...."

"Hai! I would like that very much!" Tsukikage said as the three women sat around drinking tea.

Baba-chan smiled. "Would you like me to tell you one now?" Tsukikage and Ningen-hime exchanged glances before voicing their assent. "Well...let's see. Hmmm...there was the time when he was about two summers or so old and he ran around naked like a peasant's child. The Okugata-sama was livid when she found out and she went storming over to his foster mother's quarters. Well she was met by the Waka-sama and his foster brother who happened to have been splashing around in the mud and they were filthy to say the least..." She chuckled to herself and took a long sip of her tea before going on. "Anyway, the Waka-sama was rude to her when she asked him what he was up to, as all pups will be at times...Well the Okugata-sama didn't appreciate having her own son treat her like some common fish-wife and she proceeded to reprimand him for it, when Toukasa-chan came out to see what the fuss was. Then the Okugata-sama started in with her and there was a fight. Both women screamed at each other and hurled abuse, until the pups started wailing as well. Of course they both stopped fighting long enough to go and see to their pups. Unfortunately for the Okugata-sama, her pup was not used to going to her for comfort, so that when she picked him up..." The elderly youkai paused for another sip of tea.

"So what happened, Baba-chan?" Tsukikage asked with a smile.

"Ummm...let's see what did the Waka-sama do?" Baba-chan teased.

"Hai! Please don't leave us in suspense," Ningen-hime said as she tried not to laugh, while Tsukikage silently pleaded for Baba-chan to go on.

"Well he squirmed a bit as he tried to escape and when the Okugata-sama brought him closer to her; he lunged for her face and latched onto her nose. He bit down hard, like an old cur with a bone and just like that old cur he refused to let go. The more his mother screamed and pleaded with him to let go the harder it seems he bit, until he drew blood. By then the Okugata-sama was threatening him with dire punishments and the fight started anew when his foster mother complained that she was scaring him. I mean the Okugata-sama had tried everything she could think of, from pinching his bottom, to slapping his cheeks to no avail! He wasn't letting go for anything! That is until his father was summoned. Well Inutaisho-dono took one look at the situation after speaking with Toukasa-chan on the sly, and promised the Waka-sama a visit to the hot spring. What made it even funnier was the silly pup let go just like that!" She snapped her fingers to underscore her words. "And the poor okugata-sama had to take to her rooms for weeks until her face healed." The old youkai woman sighed.

"The poor Waka-sama! I hope she didn't punish him for that! I mean he was just a little pup and very scared too!" Tsukikage cried.

"Iie...Inutaisho-dono wouldn't let her. In fact he was very proud of his son for being able to defend himself against so big an opponent. So poor Toukasa-chan was made to suffer for turning the Okugata-sama's son against her but it was all forgotten when the Waka-sama caught a chill and was sick for days. Instead of calling for his foster mother, he wanted no one but his own mother and all was forgiven. Then there was the time he turned up missing only to be found hours later sleeping in his parents' bed. At the Okugata-sama's insistence, the whole palace was searched before he was found... and unfortunately the shock of him going missing like that caused the Okugata-sama to lose the pup she was carrying...You know, Ningen-hime, he used to steal your things too, when you first arrived here."

"Really? I used to think the servants were taking them but I was afraid to say anything...Anyway, how do you know it was the Waka-sama who took my things. Couldn't one of the servants have taken them and given them to him?"

"I suppose so, but he came to me one day and gave me a beautiful comb as a present. At the time I wondered where he had gotten it, so I asked him about it....you know what he told me?"

"That Ningen-hime gave it to him?" Tsukikage blurted out.

"Hai! That's right, Child. He did, but I thought he was lying and I told him so."

Ningen-hime laughed. "I remember finding it some days later in my room, and then something else went missing. I wonder how he got there unnoticed..." She sighed sadly. "You know, no matter what I did, he would always treat me as though I were going to harm him... He didn't care for me then, and I'm afraid he still doesn't..."

"But why wouldn't he like you? You've been very kind to me since I've been here, ne?" Tsukikage gave her friend a puzzled look.

"You wouldn't understand, Child, as there are things going on that are better left unsaid..." Baba-chan interrupted. "If you are lucky, one day he'll tell you why, or perhaps you discover it on your own. Come, you look exhausted and you should get some rest."

"Hai, Baba-chan is right. I'll go unroll your futon and you can nap for as long as you'd like. And don't worry if you need anything, I'm just a room away...or if you like, I can get my scroll and I can sit here instead."

"Hai..." Tsukikage said while she watched the human woman set up her bed. When she had finished, Ningen-hime excused herself and went next door for her scroll. Meanwhile, Baba-chan helped the young girl into a sleeping kimono and left after a bit of fussing over her.

888

"You wished to see me, Chichi-ue?" Sesshomaru said as he raised himself up from bowing.

His father looked up from the low table where he had been sitting and gave his son a look that made his blood freeze in his veins. "Hai, Sesshomaru..." His father then ignored him in favor of the scroll he had been reading and Sesshomaru was left to wonder when he would get to the point. "You wouldn't happen to know anything about what happened to Tsukikage-hime today?" Inutaisho asked as he continued to read his scroll. "I've heard she's suffering greatly from a poisonous wound..." This time Inutaisho looked at him and waited; a patient smile on his face as he laced his fingers together and laid them on the scroll.

Shit! Sesshomaru thought as he returned his father's smile. He knows! But how...unless that bastard Takahara told him! Oh hell!

"Well...?" the demon lord prompted.

Sesshomaru's mind spun as he thought of several things to say, before finally deciding on the 'truth,' for he had no idea of how much his father knew. "She was disciplined for insulting me."

"Disciplined?" he said softly and Sesshomaru felt afraid for that was the tone he reserved for those who had angered him greatly. "For what? She had a right to be angry at you for not doing your duty as she believed it to be, still you did come to her rescue... However, she should not have spoken to you in that manner." He looked at his son. "But you are her lord as well as I, Sesshomaru. And as such, it is your duty to protect her from the others. Still she had no business being there, but that doesn't excuse her rough treatment at the hands of the others, does it? Besides, I have heard that you were quite willing to rush to her defense before..." he continued on in that same quite tone. "Perhaps the fault lies in you being too familiar with her, ne?" Sesshomaru winced as he knew he was in for it now. "I have plans for the girl, Sesshomaru. While I haven't made up my mind exactly as to what I will ultimately do with her, I would prefer it if you kept your distance. It wouldn't do for her to get attached to you, now would it?" Nor would it do for you to become too attached to her, my son, especially if I do decide to give her away.

Sesshomaru thought about it. "I suppose you're right, Chichi-ue...so is what I've heard correct then? That you're going to keep her for yourself and let the human go back to her own people...?"

The dog general looked at son; surprised that he would even voice such a sentiment, Inutaisho was momentarily taken aback. "Sessho-kun," he sighed wearily. "You can tell your mother that Izayoi is staying..."

Sesshomaru nodded mutely, Izayoi? /Who the fuck is that? he thought and then it hit him. /Shit! That's the stupid pet's name! Sesshomaru looked over at his father. He was disappointed on the one hand by his father's statement, yet intrigued on the other. So what are planning to do with Tsuki then, if not keep her for yourself? Give her to that bastard Takahara? Fucking hell! That ass doesn't deserve a stable full of shit, never mind the girl. He'll destroy her like he's destroyed everything else he gets his hands on...

The demon lord got up and walked over to his son. Looking down at him, he opened his mouth to speak again but seemed to change his mind. He walked away and then came back and struck his son in the same manner Sesshomaru had struck the girl. "You are never and I mean never to hit a woman again in anger. Especially if you are remiss in your duties..." he held up a hand to stop Sesshomaru's protests. "I know you eventually put a stop to it, which is the right thing to do. But, if I ever hear of you striking one of my women again..." Inutaisho smiled to underscore his words, before walking over to the door where he spoke to the guard stationed outside of it. He spun on his heel and paced back over. "The girl is coming here and I have decided that you shall punish her for her defiance and for her being in a forbidden area. I trust you will come up with a suitable punishment." Inutaisho then went back to the low table where he had been studying a few scrolls and sat down again.

Sesshomaru gave his father a puzzled look. "Decide her punishment? Do you not think she's suffered enough...?" he trailed off lamely. Sesshomaru swallowed at the look his father shot him. "Very well then, I will think of something." His was mind a blur of thoughts and Sesshomaru tried to order them but he could not as he really did not want to punish her at all. He sat there still deciding her fate when he noticed she had finally arrived.

Tsukikage had just entered the room and with her, much to Sesshomaru's disgust, was Ningen-hime. /Why must that stupid woman butt in here? Oh please don't let Chichi-ue show her any affection while I am here! /he thought miserably as he watched the two of them bow to his father. Ningen-hime then left Tsukikage on the floor next to Sesshomaru, while she got up and walked over to his father. She stepped up onto the platform and sat on Inutaisho's right, which angered Sesshomaru, for that was where his mother normally sat. Tsukikage remained where she was with her head still touching the floor, as her bow was very deep and respectful and she was afraid to get up. Sesshomaru noticed she trembled slightly; whether it was from fear or from some after effect of the poison, he couldn't tell. He felt like he wanted to comfort her and reassure her that he was not angry with her any more. That surprised him as he had never minded before what she thought. He knew he found her to be annoying at times and that was what caused most of their arguments, but he never realized until now, just how readily she forgave him. He figured it was because she treated him as an 'equal;' unlike everyone else who either feared or flattered him for father's sake. However, all thoughts of her were driven from his mind when he heard his father speak to her.

"Tsukikage-hime..." The girl sat up when she heard her name. "It has been brought to my attention that you and my son were seen behaving in a manner far beneath your status as a member of my court...Also, I understand it you were seen in an area I would have thought you would have the sense to know is off limits to the women in my household..." He paused as he looked her in the eye and she nodded. "Well certain women are permitted," Inutaisho smiled. "But you are not one of them. For this you should be punished. However, since you were impertinent enough to point out to him that he wasn't doing his duty to you...I have decided that my son shall then rectify this and decide your punishment."

Tsukikage sat there; mouth open in astonishment, for she felt she had been punished enough. She looked away from the dog general to his son; a puzzled frown settled on her face. She had been sure that the reason she was summoned there was to apologize to the youkai prince for calling him names as well as to beg forgiveness of Inutaisho for being in a forbidden area. He's going to punish me again? She stole another look at Sesshomaru, before she cast her gaze at Ningen-hime. The human woman shrugged helplessly before she leaned over and said something to her mate.

It was then that Sesshomaru had noticed Ningen-hime was speaking to his father and he wondered just what she was saying to him from behind her fan. He sat for several minutes before his father's voice shook him out of his reverie and he knew it was time to pass judgment.

"Tsukikage-hime... I will set your punishment as this: you shall be handmaiden to the Ningen-hime for the time of one year. Is that acceptable to you, Chichi-ue?"

"Hai..." Inutaisho said as he wasn't sure what his son had in mind with this punishment. At his raised eyebrow Sesshomaru clarified. "I mean for her to learn her place, Chichi-ue, as you were right about her being too familiar...." he said softly as if he were trying to convince himself this was the right thing to do rather than his father.

Oh hell! What were you thinking?! You're an idiot, Sesshomaru! What a stupid punishment... /he thought as he looked up in time to see the loving interplay between his father and the human woman. Servant to his Pet! Shit! I wonder if Chichi-ue thinks I'm being too easy on her... And yet I am sure most youkai would rather die than have to be a servant to a human of all things.../ He looked over at Tsukikage and he was surprised to see that she seemed relieved about her punishment. He looked over again at his father in time to see him dismiss the girl. Thinking he was also dismissed, Sesshomaru rose to leave with her until he caught the look on his father's face and sat down.

"I believe I still have things to discuss with you, my Son...Such as the matter of your punishment. I do not take kindly to having my women so mistreated and so little respected." Sesshomaru look up in surprise. If his father was insistent on showing his women the proper respect, then why did he allow his mother to show Ningen-hime so little respect? Everyone knew she hated the fact that the human had taken her place in her husband's heart. He wondered if his father deliberately spent more time with his pet as a way of punishing his mother. "What do you think I should do with you?" The dog general asked his son. "Well...? Answer me or have you suddenly gone stupid?" Inutaisho said as he sat there calmly waiting for an answer.

"I...ummm...ummm... really don't know, Chichi-ue... I never meant to cause her any harm..." He swallowed his shame and embarrassment over the incident. "I only wanted to fit in with the men who train with me..." he trailed off softly. "You know; the ones who go off into battle with you, Chichi-ue...." Why the hell does he have to discuss this while she's here?

"Indeed...? So, their opinion of you matters? They are far beneath you, Sesshomaru. Why should it matter what they think?" He raised an eyebrow at his son. "Perhaps I should send you to live amongst them... In their filthy tents with whatever food they can hunt up for themselves not to mention the coarse women they have to... shall we say 'entertain' them? I would have thought as a son of mine that you would aspire to far greater than that... but if that is your wish to be like them, it can be.... arranged."

"Iie, Chichi-ue, I wish to be better than them. Honest. Chichi-ue?! Please..." He looked at his father as if hoping the other was only joking.

Inutaisho looked at his son and smiled. "Keh! I will send you to live there for a week, any longer and your mother would have my head. But in actuality you did do your duty, so a harsher punishment is not necessary. Although why you hesitated like you did is beyond me." He smiled ruefully as he regarded his son. "What I would really like, is for you to live there for a year or more, get to know the men and learn what their lives are like so that when the time comes you'll think twice before rushing foolishly off into battle..." He sighed and shook his head, then went on, "Make sure you are settled in the barracks before you come to dinner tonight. When you are there you are to report to Takahara-sama. I think you will do well under his banner. He is a fine general and there is much he can teach you. In fact I think I will arrange for you to train personally with him."

Sesshomaru sat there looking every bit as astonished as Tsukikage had been earlier. Train under /Takahara's banner? Chichi-ue, are you as blind to our mutual hatred of each other as you are to Haha-ue's hatred of your Pet? Takahara...oh hell! What were you thinking, Chichi-ue? Or is this merely your way of extracting a harsher punishment without incurring Haha-ue's wrath? /Sesshomaru watched his father pace back and forth in front of him, while he went on about his favorite general. Sesshomaru somehow managed to look thrilled with the possibility of learning from the man, which pleased his father immensely.

Inutaisho stopped and smiled at his son. "Good. Then you will inform your mother of your punishment before she thinks I've kidnapped you or worse. You are dismissed."

Sesshomaru bowed and when he got up to leave, Ningen-hime called out to him, "Arigatou, Sesshomaru-waka-sama. I wish to thank you for my new servant girl." She smiled sweetly at him when he turned to leave. It galled him to know the woman actually meant it sincerely when she thanked him. Sesshomaru nodded curtly to her as he wanted to be out of there as quickly as he could, even though he was curious as to why his father called her there in the first place.

888

Sesshomaru paused just outside the door as he thought about his punishment before he decided to go see Tsukikage. He had a strong urge to be with her at that moment which he found very confusing and yielding to the impulse he set off towards the women's quarters in search of her. He walked as slowly as he could for the closer he got to his destination the stupider and angrier he felt. Shit! Why do I feel like the idiot in all of this? I did my duty, so why do I feel like I failed her? Who is she that she can make me feel this way? She's nothing more than a servant now and she seemed so happy about it too. But why? Why is being a servant to a human better than being a noblewoman? Shit! Has spending so much time with you, Tsuki-chan, made me just as stupid? Hell! Don't be an idiot about this! She was wrong and you were right! But why do I feel like I didn't do the right thing when I did? What is it about you, Tsuki-chan, that makes me feel this way? Sesshomaru brooded as he made his way towards her room./ He /was surprised to find he had made it as far as the little courtyard garden before he realized where he was. He stood there quietly watching her as she moved about the flowers.

888

Tsukikage had been bored sitting in her room doing nothing. She had felt better after Baba-chan's poultice had a chance to work and she decided to gather some flowers to make an arrangement for her new mistress's room. As she moved about the small garden, she had a strange feeling she was being watched and when she looked up, she was surprised to the Waka-sama standing there.

"Konnichiwa, Waka-sama!" Tsukikage said with a smile as she bowed.

"Konnichiwa..." he mumbled and gave her a slight bow. When they rose, he seemed to notice for the first time the large bruise that colored her cheek. Shit! I never knew I hit her that hard! Chichi-ue's blow was a mere slap on the face compared to that... Poor Tsuki-chan, I never realized just how big your bruise is. It does look like someone's seen to it though. I wonder if Chichi-ue arranged for Gun'iki-sensei to treat the wound, which is good as you seem to have recovered quickly... You're lucky my father sent his field surgeon to look at you, Tsuki-chan, as Gun'iki-sensei once saved this man who was grievously wounded and everyone thought he was going to die...Gods I'm so sorry...

They stared at each other for several minutes before Tsukikage asked him if he needed anything. "Are you sure I can't get you anything? Perhaps I can make you a cup of tea then?" she asked as she was puzzled by his visit and somewhat disappointed by his lack of comments on her cheek. /I know it looks bad, but it really doesn't hurt any more...I'd tell you if you'd only ask, but perhaps an injured servant is of no concern to you any more.../Tsuki looked away sadly and stared at the flowers.

"Iie." Sesshomaru shrugged. "What are you doing?" he asked as nonchalantly as he could.

"I'm going to make a new arrangement for Ningen-hime, would you like to watch?" Tsukikage asked as she went back to cutting flowers and Sesshomaru nodded in reply. "There...that's the last one I'll need," she said as she placed a lily in her basket. "Are you sure you want to watch...?" she asked as she had the impression he was bored just standing there. "I can even show you how you to do it, if you like. You know, I bet your mother would like it very much if you made one for her," she quickly added when he looked insulted by the suggestion. "And don't think it's a womanly thing to do either. Yamazaki-san is an expert and even your mother is known to come to him for advice when working on her own arrangements...And speaking of your mother, I heard she was rather upset before....I...ummm...I guess she heard about what happened," she said as she touched her cheek. "By the way... I haven't thanked you for my...ummm... 'easy punishment.' Ningen-hime is a kind person and I have the feeling she will be a most kind mistress..."

"Baka! She's a stupid base born bitch who has nothing better to do with her time than to try and get power by currying my father's favor in her bed!" Sesshomaru exclaimed.

Tsukikage blushed and raised her hand to her mouth before she said weakly, "I see...anyway...I...ummm..."

"Well?" he raised an eyebrow at her.

Tsukikage who had the feeling he was not at all pleased to be reminded of the 'incident' and fearing he would leave, she quickly added, "Gomen nasai, Waka-sama...It was all my fault; I should have never gone there, let alone start a fight with you about it..."

"Keh," Sesshomaru said softly as he gave her a pained look and shrugged. "Perhaps I should not have fought with you ..." he trailed off as he pretended to study a tiger lily.

"It's a pretty flower, ne?" Tsukikage said as she changed the subject.

"Hai..."

"Ummm...Waka-sama, I need to arrange these flowers soon or they will be too wilted to use. Please...ummm... if you'd like, I wouldn't mind if you sat and kept me company... that is if you don't mind sitting with a serving wench." She smiled and she noticed he winced at her new status. It's really not as terrible a punishment as you may think, Waka-sama, and the year will pass quickly.

"Fine, then you will make me some tea, Wench," he said as a touch of haughtiness crept into his voice.

Tsukikage, who was amused by his manner, bowed and followed him into her room where she set the flower basket down and went to set a small pot of water on the brazier to boil. When she came back she noticed his cheek for the first time. "Waka-sama...what happened to you?" Tsukikage started to reach out to touch it but stopped herself.

"Nothing..." He shot her a look that said otherwise and changed the subject. "My Chichi-ue is sending me to go live in the barracks among the men for a week..." he mumbled the last part.

"Oh...you must be happy, ne? Are you going to get your own command?" She smiled warmly at him before she got up to get the things she needed to make tea. She made two trips to her tansu to get the items she needed. Then she sat back down and took the lid off her tea pot. Sesshomaru silently watched as she measured out several spoons of the powdered tea from its ceramic jar to make them each two cups and poured each one into the tea pot in turn. Then she realized she had forgotten the tiny bamboo whisk she used to mix the powdered tea into the water. She looked at Sesshomaru who nodded wordlessly before she got up to retrieve it from her tansu. On the way back, she gave the water a quick glance before she came over and sat down. "Ummm....you never told me if you were getting your own command or not..." Nor did you tell what your punishment was and judging by your moodiness, I'd say it was more than a slap on your cheek. So are you going to enlighten me or not, Waka-sama?

He looked at her like she was stupid and shook his head. "Iie, Baka! I won't be getting my own command yet, I'm just going to get to know the men I'll one day command. Besides, it's just for a week," he said impatiently. He cocked his head slightly as he heard the soft sound of the water boiling. "I think the water's ready."

"Hunh?" She gave him a puzzled look before she realized what he meant. "I don't think the water's boiled that quickly, Waka-sama...." She smiled while she got up to look. "A few more minutes and it'll be there...but I can get you some cold water if you're really thirsty..." Could it be you're being punished in the same manner I am? No...I don't think Inutaisho-dono-sama would do that you...hmmm...so what can your punishment be then?

"Iie...I'll wait." He watched as she walked over to the tansu again. Tsuki then opened one of the cabinet doors. She took out a small plate and as she got up, she grabbed the plate of dried plums that sat on top of the cabinet.

"Here, I have some dried plums too if you want...I'm sorry but Ningen-hime and I ate all the dried apricots yesterday." She set the small plate down in front of him along with the plate of plums. Then she went and checked on the water. "It's boiling, Waka-sama, so now I can make you, your tea." Tsuki took the pot of water off the brazier and brought it over to low table where they were sitting along with an iron trivet to set it on. Smiling shyly at him she sat down and quickly made tea for him.

"Arigatou," Sesshomaru said and when he noticed she had not made a cup for herself, he commented about it. "You know you may have some too, if you want."

"Arigatou, Waka-sama," Tsukikage bowed her head and made herself a cup. They sat there drinking their tea in silence, while they looked around and occasionally gave each other shy smiles whenever they caught the other's eye.

Sesshomaru looked around again and noticed the flowers were still lying in the basket where she left them. "Tsuki-chan..." She blushed when he called her by her childhood nickname, "I thought you said you had to arrange the flowers soon or they will be too wilted ..."

"Hai! Gomen nasai...I had forgotten all about them..." But I still haven't forgotten the fact that you haven't told me what your punishment is...I wonder if you really did get the same punishment I did. That would be something and I guess if it were true, then you wouldn't tell me about it...Hai! That must it! She smiled to herself as she got up and went over to the basket. She looked at the flowers before she turned to him and said, "Waka-sama...I really need to arrange them now or it will be too late and the flowers will be wasted..."

Sesshomaru nodded. "Go ahead."

"Arigatou..." Tsuki said softly. She went over to her tansu and removed a small wicker basket from underneath it. She carried it back to the table and placed it on the floor next to it before she went and brought the flower basket over as well. She then excused herself and went outside to get the small amount of water she needed. When she returned she was surprised to see Sesshomaru had made room for her to work on the table. "Arigatou, Waka-sama...you really didn't need to clean up like that for me...ummm..." She swallowed. "I appreciate it." She bowed to him and after setting the cup of water down on the table, she sat down.

"Keh..." He shrugged. "So what do you do first?" he asked as curiosity about what she was about to do piqued his interest.

Smiling, she told him as she picked up the things she needed. "First you take a small bowl or other container like a vase and then if you are using a bowl like I am, you'll need something to hold the flower stems..." She described everything as she did it. Sesshomaru watched in silence, not really paying attention to what she was saying. As the girl became absorbed in her work, the youkai prince noticed she became more relaxed and it was as if she had never been demoted from a noblewoman to a servant that afternoon. Before he knew it, Sesshomaru was looking at a beautiful arrangement.

He smiled. "It's very beautiful...and you did this so quickly too."

"Arigatou, Waka-sama...But it's really not that good as I'm only just learning, but if you like I'll ask Ningen-hime if I can make one for you too... that is if it's okay to have such a thing in the barracks..." she said uncertainly.

"I am not sure if such a thing is permitted ...Shit!" he swore as he realized where he should have been.

"Waka-sama?" Tsuki said in alarm.

"I have to go! I was supposed to go there, not here," he groaned to himself when realization of where he should have been sunk in. "Konbanwa, Tsuki-chan," he said quickly as he stood up and started to leave.

"Konbanwa...Waka-sama," Tsuki said softly as she got up and bowed. She stood there in the outer doorway, watching Sesshomaru as he hurried across the courtyard's garden, before he entered the building on the other side and was lost to her sight.

888

Sesshomaru hurried towards the barracks, wondering if Takahara was there waiting for him. When he arrived there he found to his dismay that Takahara was in fact there and he was not too pleased about the wait either. They stood there for several minutes in silence, just outside Takahara's rooms before Sesshomaru mumbled an apology.

Takahara shot him a look that said he did not care why the younger man was late. "It's about time you showed up..." Takahara said as he ignored Sesshomaru's apology. He turned and went back into his room, followed by the young youkai lord. "Your father has informed me that you are to be spending a week here under my tutelage..." He grinned wickedly over his shoulder at the younger man and walked swiftly over to his campaign desk. "From now on, while you are here, you are no different from the rawest of recruits, understand? That means you will be known simply as Sesshomaru....no 'waka-sama', no 'sama', not even a 'san'..." He paused and bent down to pick up a scroll from a basket of them, where it sat on the desk. After he looked at it briefly, he whirled around and faced the young youkai. He used the scroll for emphasis as he pointed it at his lord's son. "Sesshomaru, I dislike being kept waiting! Especially when the person who kept me waiting is nothing more than a humble foot soldier like you!" he said in the strong voice he used when commanding his troops. "However I have also been made aware that you will become mine officially as of tomorrow. Therefore I expect you here at dawn, understand?"

"Hai...gomen nasai, Takahara-sama..." Sesshomaru said as he bowed.

There was a knock on the door followed by a man's voice asking for permission to enter. Takahara granted it and he sat there waiting, as his adjunct entered followed by a woman and a young girl.

"What is it now, Minagowa-san?" Takahara looked up at the interruption.

"I've brought the girl like you've requested, but her Onee-san insisted on coming along," Minagowa replied with a bow.

"It's okay," Takahara said and after nodding to his adjunct, the man bowed and left. "Sumomo-chan, what can I do for you?"

The older woman bowed and motioned for the younger girl to do so. When they had straightened up, she addressed the youkai general. "Takahara-sama, I hope you don't mind that I came with Hitomi-chan," she said and Sesshomaru looked over at the girl in surprise. "She's a little frightened...it's her first time and she's a bit nervous about pleasing you..." Sumomo said as ingratiatingly as possible.

"Why should she be so nervous? It's not like I'm going to eat her." Takahara laughed and the older woman laughed as well.

"She not yet ready for that, but if you'd like I can have her trained ..."

"You would do that for me?" They laughed again. "So tell her that I wish to see her beauty..." He motioned at the girl with his hand and the older woman whispered something in the girl's ear. "I think you'll make a fine Mama-san one day, Sumomo-chan. Perhaps if you continue to please me, I will see to it you are made a Mama-san. You know, I think you'll do a fine job of looking after all the girls. That way you'll be making more money, ne?"

"I suppose so..." Sumomo said coyly.

Takahara laughed. "I can see it now, when you retire, a beautiful okiya, near a teahouse in the country. A few hand picked girls that I'm sure you'll do an excellent job of turning into courtesans of the first rank. A handful of girls to satisfy the needs of a common man, like myself..."

"Takahara-sama, you aren't at all common, ne?" They laughed. "But an okiya of my own, when I retire would be nice, ne? You know it's the dream of every geisha, like myself, to own one, to teach young girls how to carry on the traditions we hold so dear...." Sumomo sighed.

So, you fancy yourself a geisha now. Bitch, you are nothing more than a stuck up camp follower who's grown too lazy to service anyone yourself. Keh! Mama-san indeed! Well this girl had better be good... /Takahara thought. "Well, we all have our dreams we hold dear." Takahara sighed. "Now come on, show us the girl." /

"Where are going, Sesshomaru? Stay here and watch and learn." He smiled nastily at the youkai prince. "This is how you can tell if a woman is ready for bedding," he trailed off into a chuckle.

Meanwhile the older woman was busy helping the girl disrobe. When she was finished the young girl stood there, hugging her nonexistent breasts. She stood there with her eyes closed and it was clear she was frightened.

"Little One, what is your name?" Takahara soothed as he motioned for the girl to sit in his lap.

"Hitomi-chan, Takahara-sama..."

"What a pretty name." Takahara gently stroked her cheek. "Sesshomaru, wasn't your cousin named Hitomi too?" Takahara asked as his eyes feasted on the girl.

"Hai..."

"And she was about this one's age when she went to her marriage bed, ne?"

"Hai..."

Takahara returned his attention to the girl. "Hitomi-chan, have I told you that you are as pretty as your name?"

"Iie, Takahara-sama..."

"Well you are," the older youkai cooed. Takahara reached out and gently tucked the girl's hair behind her ears. "There now I can see you." He smiled and the girl nodded and smiled in return. "I see your Onee-san has taught you well. If you are good, Hitomi-chan, then I will tell all my men and you'll be rich in no time."

"Hai!" Hitomi cried with delight. "Ummm... gomen nasai, Takahara-sama, I didn't mean..."

"Think nothing of it, Hitomi-chan, all you girls want to be rich, ne?" He smiled and the girl giggled. Takahara ran his hand down her upper arm. "Did you know, your skin is as soft and smooth as fine silk?"

"Iie, I didn't know that...Doumoarigatou, Takahara-sama."

"You're very welcome, Hitomi-chan!" Takahara glanced over at Sesshomaru. "You know what's especially amazing about her, Sesshomaru?"

"Iie, what?"

"Both her eyes work!" Takahara and the girl laughed. "And what pretty eyes they are too!"

Sesshomaru regarded the whole tableau with disgust. It was all he could do to keep the cool mask of indifference on his face. He turned his attention to the older woman who was busy trying to win him over with her attention. Narrowing his eyes at her, he gave her a cold hard stare as she tried to plant little kisses on his bruised cheek. Satisfied that he had curbed the woman's unwelcome advances, he turned his attention back to Takahara.

Takahara had now calmed the girl down enough to tolerate his caresses, by whispering a series of bawdy jokes and stories. He ran his hand down her side and rested it on her thigh. Feeling a bit more confident, as this Takahara did not match up with the stories she had heard, Hitomi leaned in and planted a chaste kiss on his cheek. Takahara nuzzled the side of her face in return, while lightly stroking her thigh.

Sesshomaru found the smell of the Takahara's lust as nauseating as he found his blatant display of his sexual prowess disgusting. He closed his eyes and swallowed as he wished to be dismissed. He had succeeded in ignoring the whole thing when Takahara called his attention to it.

"Are you watching, Waka-sama? You wouldn't want to miss any thing, ne?"

"Hai, I'm watching..." Sesshomaru replied as if watching the grass grow would be more exciting.

Takahara smiled nastily at him before turning his attention back to the girl on his lap. He loved initiating the new girls into their new profession, especially when it was clear they were as untouched as this one was. He then placed his hands on the girl's breasts and pinched the nipples to make them grow harder. Instead of relaxing under his touch, the girl stiffened and started crying. Takahara snarled something in the girl's ear which made her sob and push his hands away from her.

"Bitch!" Takahara swore and he stood up quickly; dumping the girl on the floor. "You little fuck! How dare you show me so little respect?!" He spat at her. "Bitch! You fucking little whore!" He reached down and grabbed the frightened girl by the throat. "Shit! I ought to snap your scrawny little neck, but that would be too good for you!" he hit her again before he turned his wrath on the girl's Onee-san. "Bitch! I thought you said she was ready for pillowing! Shit! She looks more like a boy than a girl, but I figured you bitches had taught her something to make up for it! Fuck! If I wanted a whore who looks like a boy and fights back, I'd be fucking Akira's ass right now! At least he only fights back if you tell him to!"

"Gomen nasai, gomen nasai..." The older woman bowed and kept apologizing. "Gomen nasi..." She turned to the crying girl and hissed, "Hitomi, haven't I taught you better than that?! Who do you think you are to insult such an honored patron as Takahara-sama?"

"Shut up! Before I shut you up...permanently! Now get out of my sight!" He watched as they bowed and tried to retrieve the shrieking girl's kimono. "Leave that! She doesn't need it! Bitch! You think you're so smart, Little One?" He glared at the girl before turning on her Onee-san "Well you can just haul her ass over to the barracks and let the men have their way with her! And be sure to tell Himoto-san I said they are allowed to do whatever they want to her. If they kill her, so be it! She's a worthless little whore and you had better bring me something better the next time or you'll be sharing her fate! Now get yourselves out of here!" he barked and the frightened women left.

"So, did you learn anything, Sesshomaru?" Takahara asked as if the whole thing had never happened.

"Hai," Sesshomaru replied, a look of cool disdain on his face.

"Good, so what exactly did you learn?"

Sesshomaru paused as he thought about it./ I learned that Chichi-ue was right about hitting a woman in anger and I also believe that he may have been giving me a subtle warning about you, Takahara. I now know that Chichi-ue doesn't tolerate this shit, but why he lets you get away with it is still a mystery to me. Perhaps Chichi-ue feels your loyalty merits overlooking such appalling behavior. All I know is one thing, Chichi-ue has little to fear about me idolizing the likes of you.../"I've learned that it is sometimes difficult to know when a woman is ready, ne?"

Takahara laughed. "You are dismissed," he said as he sat down and studied the scroll that he had picked up. Good, it's nice to see you're still a smart ass, Sesshomaru. /Takahara smiled. /You know, I can't wait to get you here under my thumb, Waka-sama... Besides, when I am done with you, my pampered prince; you're going to regret the fact that you gave the girl away like that. What the hell were you thinking? Unless, this is your way of keeping her all to yourself... /Takahara sat lost in thought. /Now that I think about it, you may have unexpectedly made her more available than you think...Now that she's a servant; she'll have no choice but to do as I command... Arigatou, Waka-sama...Besides, in this instance, I don't think I'll mind having your leftovers as once she knows the pleasure of having a man, she'll think twice about pillowing a boy...

888

Sesshomaru stood just outside Takahara's quarters watching the girl being dragged across the compound by her Onee-san. He pitied the poor thing as he knew she was going to have a rough time of it, once Takahara's men got their hands on her. Shrugging, he dismissed the girl from his thoughts and headed back towards his room. He was lost in thought, so that he did not hear the approaching horse. It was when the beast was nearly upon him that he woke up in time to see its rider rein it in sharply.

"Oi, Waka-sama! That's one way of getting yourself killed!" The rider called down to him as he grabbed the horse's bridle. "The other way is go the same route as her..."

"Hai! But she doesn't deserve that, Akemi-san." Sesshomaru said while the woman rider dismounted.

"Hai, I know that and you know that. No doubt the girl is now well aware of that fact too...still she just one of the camp followers and she needs to earn her keep. Look, I'll have a talk with my Hiroshi-chan and he'll put a stop to it before she's hurt too badly. Besides, the sooner she learns her place the better off she'll be." Akemi paused. "You know, it could turn out that she enjoys that sort of thing... No? Never mind, then." She shook her head at him. "Come, I'll walk you back to the barracks if you like."

"Iie, there's no need to trouble yourself as I'm heading back to my room. I won't officially be here until tomorrow."

"Konbanwa, Waka-sama."

"Konbanwa, Akemi-san."

888

Sesshomaru made his way back to his room slowly, his mind awhirl with the events of the day. He had a feeling things were not going to be easy with Takahara, although he relished the challenge. As he slowly walked the corridors, he found his thoughts drifting back to the fight and what went on afterwards. Much to his surprise, he was pleased that Tsuki did not mind at all about her punishment. He supposed it was because of Tsuki's easygoing nature as she could never truly be friends with his father's "pet". /Then again,/ he thought ruefully, Chichi-ue certainly was fascinated by the human enough, that he had taken her; he shuddered, to his bed. He walked along trying to dispel the disquieting thoughts about his father and was amazed to find himself once again thinking about Tsukikage.

Sesshomaru replayed in his mind the scene from the garden, the way she moved about the flowers like some giant butterfly. He could see her as she flitted here and there in search of the perfect flower. Smiling, he recalled the way she took the flowers and turned them into something even more beautiful than they had been when they grew in the garden. By the time he had finally reached his rooms, he was in a much better mood than he had been when he had left Takahara. As his thoughts drifted to Tsuki, he found he was looking forward to the possibility of seeing her at dinner until he remembered she most likely would not be there any more. He felt sad when he realized it was his own fault she would be missing and he cursed himself for setting a long time period on her punishment. He walked slowly up the top of his tansu to his private chamber. Sesshomaru paced around his room, as he drank in the faint lingering scent of Tsuki that clung to his room. He had nearly succeeded in convincing himself that he was not going to miss her when he spotted her comb lying on the floor. He remembered she had lost it the last time she had visited and he could still hear the faint echoes of her laughter. He realized last time she visited, he had had an easier time getting her to come with him, until he remembered that that had been the day his father had spent hunting with his friends. They had not gone as far as his lodge, which was about a day's march away. He recalled how he told her a story about some mischief he had gotten into as a child and how she had laughed so hard the comb had come loose form her hair and fallen to the floor. He remembered too how they had looked for it without success. Now he spotted it amongst his scrolls and he wondered where Hashitame had found it. He smiled sadly at the thought of all the gossip the cleaning woman must have told her friends about the waka-sama having a girl in his room, when he realized it would not happen any more.

He sighed and walked over to where he kept a small basin and pitcher of water. He poured some water into it and splashed a bit on face before he paced around his room again. He sat down for several long minutes, while he stared of into space, before he ran his fingers through his hair. Then he stood up and straightened his kimono before he tucked his hair behind his ears. Just before he left his room, he spotted the comb where he left it. He picked it up and for some reason he could not explain, he tucked it inside his kimono.

888

It was a long lonely walk to the room where his family and a few honored guests ate dinner. Sesshomaru trudged along as though his feet were made of lead and he had all day to get there. He figured since he was usually late for dinner, no one would think anything of it and this time they might even think he had stopped by to check on the girl. He walked on as he trailed his fingertips along the walls, the way he used do as a child, whenever he was upset. Finally, he made it to his destination and he knelt for several minutes just outside the door. Finding that he had suddenly lost his appetite, Sesshomaru sat back on his heels as he composed himself. The thought of sitting there listening to everyone's chatter was not a pleasant one. Once he had centered himself enough to plaster a smile on his face, he slid the door and entered.

Much to his annoyance, the dinner conversation stopped as he entered and in the ensuing silence, he mumbled an apology before he walked over to the low table and sat down. He was dismayed to find his dinner companions were Chibi-Nezumi and Yuriko-hime. Yuriko-hime had looked after his mother and aunt when they were little and she felt it was her duty to look after him as well and also more importantly in her mind, to see to it that Sesshomaru behaved himself. He had a lot of unpleasant memories from the time of Ningen-hime's arrival of Yuriko-hime pinching and slapping him whenever he acted out and he hated the site of her.

Sesshomaru sat quietly at dinner, wishing Tsuki were there so that he could talk to her as he found Chibi-Nezumi's conversation boring and he longed to escape. He supposed if he had found her more attractive he could have put up with her mindless drivel, but Chibi-Nezumi was extremely short, misshapen and ugly. Sesshomaru knew she was smarter than she liked to let on. Why else would his father tolerate her presence? The tiny youkai woman had been Inutaisho's favorite until the arrival of Ningen-hime ten years before, yet she had never once minded that her place had been taken by a human. Sesshomaru figured it must have been because she had been grateful for the time she had had with his father.

He picked at his food as he tuned out the conversation around him. "Will you please stop that!" he hissed at Yuriko, as she poked him again with her long bony finger, while she reprimanded him for not eating. He was about to say something else to her when she told him not to interrupt his mother and he nearly missed what his mother had to say.

"It has been brought to my attention that soon we will have a new pup in the women's quarters...." Inukouhi smiled. "It would seem that our dear Chibi-Nezumi finds that it she who is going to have a pup!" There was a flurry of conversation as everyone offered their congratulations to the dwarf youkai and Inukouhi waited patiently for it to die down before going in for the 'kill'. "It would appear, my darling Sessho-kun, that you will soon have a sibling..." she said dryly as the conversation once again raced around the room.

Sesshomaru sat there and stared at the small misshapen woman beside him as the news sunk in and he tried to make sense of it. What was worse was the fact that his mother seemed pleased by the whole thing rather than angry, which led to thoughts about Ningen-hime. Shit! /he swore to himself. /All I can say it is good that it is Chibi-Nezumi who is carrying the pup rather than the pet human! Thank the gods that Chichi-ue isn't stupid enough to father a bastard hanyou of all things! Shit! Maybe that's why he lets her have the run of the palace...Maybe that's all in exchange for not bearing him any stupid hanyou brats! Perhaps the stupid thing is barren and wishes to have a pup of her own... Maybe Chichi-ue's going to let her raise whatever misshapen lump Chibi-Nezumi bears him. Gods! Please let it look nothing like her! Shit! /He sat there shaking his head and when Chibi-Nezumi asked him what was wrong, he growled at her impatiently. Shrugging, the little Inuyoukai turned back to her conversation with Fumiko-hime and Yuriko-hime. Sesshomaru noticed for the first time that Ningen-hime was absent from the group and he wondered if she were dining alone or with Tsukikage. /I don't know why...but I wish you were here Tsuki...a sibling...shit I'm going to have a sibling! A sister would be nice...I do miss Hitomi-chan, and I never got to know Katakuri-chan...But a brother?! /Fuck it! I don't want a brother...you had better not give Chichi-ue another son...because if you do, Chichi-Nezumi...I promise you his life won't be worth shit! All of this is mine and it will remain mine!/ Sesshomaru thought as he went back to picking at his food.

The rest of the evening dragged on slowly for Sesshomaru and he longed for it to end quickly. He sat there quietly wishing the others would leave him alone with his thoughts, but it was not to be as everyone wanted to know what he thought about the new pup. He pretended happiness about it that he did not feel and after a while they stopped asking him about it. He felt relieved when Fumiko-hime asked about the bruise on his cheek. He told her it was nothing and he gave her a lame excuse about having tripped over something in his room. Sesshomaru groaned inwardly when the youkai woman smiled knowingly at him, before she told him she hoped it was not too sore and that he should be more careful in the future. Several of the nearby woman tittered when they heard that and he wondered if word about the girl in his room had now spread amongst the noblewomen of the court. His hand briefly strayed to the comb hidden in his kimono and he just as quickly snatched it away when he noticed the smile on Fumiko-hime's face. The way she looks at me, it's almost as if she knows I've brought Tsuki's comb with me...but how could she see it, when I've hidden it?
Finally the last cup of tea was drunk and the last bite of fruit was eaten, when Inutaisho dismissed them. Sesshomaru sat there lost in thought as everyone got up to leave. He stared blankly ahead, almost unseeingly as he watched his father leave this time with the dwarf youkai woman following at his heels. He sat there a few more minutes before he wearily rose to his feet and started to leave.

"Sessho-chan...Sesshomaru ... Come, I wish to speak with you." Inukouhi's voice intruded upon her son's thoughts as he headed towards the door. Groaning inwardly, Sesshomaru stopped and turned as he waited for his mother. Smiling sweetly at him, Inukouhi gently touched her son's cheek before she nodded at him and they left together. "We have many things of importance to discuss, my son..."



Sign up to rate and review this story