Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > Beauty's Battle

Chapter 4: End of Watch

by ewbankchristina 1 review

The weeks depressing events is taking it's toll on our heroes. But, when an urgent mission is given to them, will they make the right choice?

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2007-07-08 - Updated: 2007-07-08 - 2608 words

0Unrated
CHAPTER 4: END OF WATCH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 DAYS LATER
The halls remained eerily quiet throughout the past days. Students walked by each other with their heads down, only acknowledging each other with an occasional nod. Teachers and friends gathered pictures of Chantal and created a memorial in her honor at the end of the library, with people visiting in between classes. A third of the student body was missing after the news of her death.

Atlanta and Theresa still hadn't returned to school. Theresa locked herself in her room, only letting Jay in on rare occasions. She still blamed herself, but with Jay's comfort, the idea was slowly beginning to fade. Atlanta wasn't as bad as Theresa; she just didn't deal with deaths very well. Archie comforted her when she burst into tears that usually only lasted about five minutes.

All in all, the Brownstone stayed in its depressed state. Conversations were started randomly, but ended with an awkward silence soon after.

"God, what I would do for a mission right about now," Archie muttered, crossing his arms on the kitchen counter.

"Yeah, I know," Jay sighed, rubbing his eyes. Archie sighed back in response as Jay opened his bottle of water.

Suddenly, Odie came running into the room, a crumpled piece of paper in his hand. Jay immediately went alert.

"What's happened?"

"Hermes-email-here-," he panted. He stuck the paper out at Jay, who grabbed it.

"'Odie, show this to the rest of the team, it's urgent,'" he read out. In Jay's pause, Archie called in the rest of the team. Jay started to read slowly as everyone entered the room with confused expressions.

"'Hera needs to talk to you immediately; she has urgent orders for you.'" Jay glanced up momentarily, but was quickly urged on from the rest. "'With the recent events, the Techno-Greeks have found some disturbing information.'" Jay faltered briefly as he read over the next sentence. "'...Synara has been spotted outside of the city...'" Jay stopped there and looked up.

"Is there anything else?" Atlanta whispered, her voice cracking suddenly. Archie rushed over quickly, pulling her into a tight hug.

"Nothing. If it's urgent, we should get to the school now," Jay's voice was sounding more commanding. His eyes stayed directly on Theresa.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faint circles had formed under Hera's steel eyes. The week's stress and sorrow was beginning to take its toll on the Goddess. She paced back and forth behind her desk as the seven teenagers came in and seated themselves on the couches before her. Hermes zoomed through the doors behind them, his mouth twitching nervously.

Hera glanced up and walked in front of the desk. "As Hermes has already informed you, Synara is back. You'll need more weapons this time and a good, strong plan." She kept her voice calm as she scanned each face of the heroes. She stopped on Jay who coughed nervously and stepped up to stand in front of the team.

"For safety precautions..." Hera started, crossing her arms across her chest.

He nodded and hung his head down. "I think it'd be best for you-," he looked up at Theresa. "-and Atlanta to stay behind for this."

"What?" Atlanta's angry voice shot out. Archie put his hand on her shoulder, trying to calm her, but Atlanta angrily pushed it off.

"How could you say that?" Theresa said slowly, her body had suddenly gone rigid. Her icy voice pierced through Jay, making him wince slightly.

"I, we, just don't want you-," Jay began. He started to go towards her, giving her a sincere look.

"Atlanta and I are a part of his team as much as anyone here!" Theresa backed away from Jay, her fists shaking at her sides. Atlanta angrily sighed at Archie and stomped away, with Theresa following after her.

"C'mon, Atlanta, I'll call us a cab," Theresa said, glaring back at Jay, making him stop momentarily in his tracks. Atlanta reached for the door handle, shaking her head. Archie ran off the couch and grabbed Atlanta's arm, pulling her away from the door.

"Let go of me, Archie," she snarled, ripping her arm out of his grip. "We can take care of ourselves." Archie's hand dropped at the tone of her voice as he took two steps back as if Atlanta was about to jump at his throat. Atlanta glared at Archie briefly before wrenching the door open and exiting with Theresa. Archie's shoulders slumped as the large doors shut.

"Archie," Jay's voice caught his attention. "They'll thank us for it later. We both know we don't want them to get hurt again."

"Yeah...yeah, you're right," Archie mumbled, turning around to face them. Herry came up beside him and threw his arm across Archie's shoulders, throwing him a comforting smile.

"I am sorry about that, but you all should go now. Ares is waiting with your weapons," Hera broke the silence. Hermes was already floating towards the door, Odie following after him.

"Thanks, Ms.Hera," Jay mumbled, glancing up at the Goddess briefly. He trailed behind the rest, his body language showing his sadness as well.

Hera sighed slowly and watched the teens leave. She pinched the bridge of her nose and closed her eyes. "One problem after another..." she mumbled to herself, turning back to her desk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Last time you weren't properly prepared!" Ares said loudly. "But this time, you can be ready for the attack!" The weapons appeared out of the wall: swords, bolos, spears, shields, cross-bows, axes, and many other weapons that were known to the Ancient Greeks, with a touch of modern day weaponry.

Jay grabbed his xiphos immediately, with the with the exception of his martial arts baton, which he tucked into his pocket. Archie kept his Hephesteaus whip tight in his hand as he skimmed through the spears.

"Do you want a weapon Odie? Herry?" Ares said, crossing his big arms across his armored chest. Odie shook his head slowly, showing Ares his PMR as his weapon. Herry smiled and cracked his knuckles.

"Well, hey, what about me?" Neil said, looking up from his mirror. Ares grunted and threw him a thin-wired net. He shrieked as the net fell over his head, ruffling his hair.

"Well, if everyone's ready, let's get out of here." Jay started towards the doors; his xiphos looked blurry as he swung it around lethally. Archie shrugged at Ares and followed after Jay, the other three running to catch up with their leader.

*

Neil hummed pleasantly in the back seat, his mind oblivious to the events that happened minutes before. He nodded his head to the invisible beat that pounded inside his mind. Odie fiddled with his PMR, preparing himself for the fight ahead of him. Herry was surprisingly serious as he gripped the steering wheel, following the directions that Hermes gave him. Jay tapped his finger nervously on the arm rest as he glared out the window, his eyes glazed over as the landscape rushed by. Archie's bouncing knee was double the speed of Jay's tapping finger. He grimaced out the window, Atlanta's angry words echoing through his head.

"There!" Odie suddenly yelled, pointing out the window. Herry slammed his foot down, causing everyone to lurch forward in their seats. He shot back in reverse and quickly accelerated off the road, going in the direction that Odie pointed.

"Where, Odie?" Jay's voice shook as Herry's truck went over ever bump and curve of the terrain.

"Giant, behind those trees!" Odie's small frame bounced in the seat as he griped the ceiling handle for dear life. Herry slid the truck towards a large jumble of trees, swerving to avoid a large oak. He got around the tree and slammed the brakes, making everyone lurch forward again.

Jay was the first one out; he unsheathed his xiphos and scanned the trees, looking for any movement. Archie came and stood next to the leader, listening for any footsteps. Herry cracked his knuckles as he came around his truck. They stood there, watching and waiting on the edge of the trees.

"Are you sure this is where you saw it, Odie?" Jay said, keeping his voice low. Odie nodded back, his expression full of confusion. All of a sudden, a loud crashing noise came from the forest, getting louder as the thing came towards the five.

One of Cronus' giants came crashing through the tress, bellowing loudly. Three more giants came barreling after him. The first giant threw a fist up and directed it to Jay, who quickly jump and tumbled out of the way. Jay brought his xiphos up and tried to swipe at the giants arm, with success, a thin cut appeared on the giants arm, causing it to cry out in pain and frustration. Herry charged towards the fattest giant, ramming himself into one of its legs, making it lose its balance. Herry laughed loudly as the giant rolled on the ground, trying to get up but with little luck. Archie swung his whip at one of the giants and caught it around the arm. Archie gripped his whip tightly and pulled, causing the giant to be pulled down slightly.

"Uh, oh," Archie gulped, watching the giant's other hand grab the metal cord. The giant showed bared his yellow teeth in a gruesome smile as he pulled the whip towards him, sending Archie flying through the air.

Neil and Odie teamed up to take on a confused giant. Neil ran around it, trying to distract it while Odie looked through his PMR, looking for any kind of weapon. Odie aimed his PMR at the giant and sent an electric shock, which coursed through the giant, making it topple over, twitching slightly.

A sadistic laughter suddenly echoed through their fighting arena. The giants stopped fighting and looked up.

Archie groaned and looked up. "Cronus!" he yelled, jumping up from the ground. The other four twisted to see the god floating in mid-air. Cronus smiled down at them, staying in his floating spot, out of dangers reach.

"That was rather amusing," he chuckled, looking at Jay's giant as it held it's arm, whimpering. "But, I know something that's even better."

"What do you want, Cronus?" Jay yelled up angrily. The giants began to back away, settling themselves under Cronus' floating form.

"My, my, stay calm Jay. We don't want that temper of yours to get out of hand, do we?" Cronus' laughed. "No, I came here to...let's see, warn you." The five looked at each other, confused. "I notice the girls aren't with you. Pity, what a mistake you made."

"What have you done?!" Archie yelled. He advanced towards Cronus, cracking his whip angrily.

"Oh, no, it's nothing I have done. But...you may want to get home, right away. You may find a little surprise waiting for you," Cronus snapped his fingers, creating a portal beside him. He cackled and stepped inside, disappearing in an instance. The giants laughed stupidly and ran back into the forest, crashing down trees as they ran.

"Herry, drive, fast!" Jay threw himself into the truck. The other four jumped back into the truck. Herry started the truck and accelerated, not waiting for everyone else to buckle their seat belts. Herry pushed the gas petal to the floor as he hit the solid pavement, sending the truck flying down the highway.

"What did that sick bastard do?! If there's one scratch on Atlanta, I swear to Zeus, I'll rip his bloody head off!" Archie shouted, his pale face turning slightly red from his anger.

"We can find out if they're okay, Archie," Odie tried to calm his friend down. He reached for his PMR again. "We'll just call them." He punched in Atlanta's number and waited. Archie stared at the PMR hopefully, waiting to see Atlanta's face appear on the small screen. The ringing continued.

"No answer..." Archie said softly. He turned away from Odie and looked out the window.

"Try Theresa's!" Jay turned to look at Odie, his eyes wide. Odie quickly punched in Theresa's number. But, it was the same as Atlanta's, the continued ringing sound.

"Maybe, they just turned them off?" Neil said, trying to comfort the two. Jay shook his head slowly and looked out the front windows. They were coming back into the city.

"Faster, Herry!" he encouraged. Herry growled and turned sharply down a dirt road, a shortcut. He sped up even more, swerving to avoid the things that got in his way. He kept his hands tight on the steering wheel, concentrating on the streets that zoomed past him, trying to quickly read the names.

"It's the next one, Herry!" Odie called up from the back. Herry spun his hands on the steering wheel as he turned down their street. He accelerated down the street, finally reaching their brownstone. He stomped down on the brakes and threw his door open. Jay ripped open the little white picket fence door, and ran up the cement path.

Jay stopped in his tracks before he hit the door. The rest slowed down behind them as they stared at the backdoor. It had been ripped off its hinges and lay on their kitchen floor, pieces of glass scattered the floor from the smashed window. Deep claw marks were engraved on the side of the door.

Jay took a deep breath a stepped towards the open entrance. He stepped slowly over the door and avoided the glass. Some cupboards were hanging by one hinge; their remains were strewn across the floor: cans, bags and other things.

"Atlanta?" Archie said nervously. He was staring into the living room entrance. More claw marks were carved on the sides of the wall. The five of them slowly walked towards the living room. Odie let out a gasp as he turned the corner.

The table had been thrown across the room, some claw marks were dug into it as well. The cushions of the couch had been torn open, and the insides covered the room. A deadly struggle had taken place. Deep claw marks ripped across the wall leading to the couch and chair.

"Oh, God. No, no, no..." Jay said to himself. He shook his head slowly, taking deep breaths as he analyzed the room. Archie grunted angrily and ran up the stairs to check the rooms. A cry of pain came from the upper floor; their rooms were empty.

Jay walked slowly up to one of the walls, looking at one long claw mark carefully. He ran his hand over the mark. "Synara..." he whispered. Jay put his head to the wall, closing his eyes. He formed a tight fist and hit the wall, clenching his teeth in frustration. Herry bellowed angrily and stomped into the kitchen. A loud crash echoed from the room soon later.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, I rather enjoyed this chapter. Besides the 'based on true events' for the first little half, this chapter was fun for me to write.
Okay, well, this story is gonna be put on hold for a little while, even though it usually is with my taking-forever-updates. But, on the 14th, I am flying out to Kitchener, Ontario to visit some of my relatives. I won't be back until the 26th. BUT, while I am there, I will try to get some ideas flowing. So, don't worry!
I am VERY excited for the next Harry Potter movie, and EXCITED AND DEPRESSED about the final book. tear It's quite sad, really. Well, I hope you enjoy this chapter, even though it might be a little bit shorter, and have an amazing summer!
Christina!

P.S: Check out my somewhat-unoriginal-artwork on Brad's Corner: http://kookalamunga.blogspot.com/
Sign up to rate and review this story