Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > An Unexpected Birthday Present

The Concert & My Real Birthday Present

by awe-or-sympathy 0 reviews

A fan's golden birthday turns out to be more than she ever imagined when she attends a concert for Panic! At the Disco.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Published: 2007-07-18 - Updated: 2007-07-19 - 1644 words

0Unrated
With each passing minute, I became more and more excited. Sure, I was used to the idea of seeing Panic! At the Disco in real life, but I had never been to many rock concerts before, so I didn't know exactly what to expect. Even so, this was Panic! At the Disco I was going to see; no one ever knows what to expect from them. The first thing that made my heart leap was just seeing the city of Chicago. I'm not used to seeing huge buildings and streets filled with too many cars to count, and the sights help get my mind around the entire scene that I was about to witness. After a long while of driving and sitting through the traffic, we came to the correct location. To be honest, if I hadn't seen the tour bus with the words "Panic! At the Disco" plastered on the side of it, I wouldn't have known we were even close. I couldn't help that I was screaming, because my friend was, too. We both whipped out our cell phones in a flash and snapped a few pictures. It wasn't exactly "screaming photo op," but I needed to take a picture of something.

The three of us, my friend, her mom, and I, waited in line to get into the club for what seemed like a longer time than it took to get there. I never remembered being more anxious and excited in my life. Still, I knew that it would be a few hours before I would actually see Brendon, Ryan, Spencer, and Jon. While the opening bands were playing, my friend shared some of her rock concert knowledge with me. She said not to go up in the crowd for them, or we would be exhausted for Panic! I was fussing over not being in the front for them, but she also told me not to worry about it. Later on, I was glad that we didn't go up. After the second and final opening band, we both started to head for the front. The crowd became restless during those tension-filled minutes of waiting for the boys we all know and love to step into the spotlight. A few times they chanted while the people backstage were testing the lights and such. I chanted along, but mostly because I was angry that I my friend and I weren't in the very front row. We had managed the third or fourth (I couldn't exactly tell,) but there were still people in the way. Soon enough, they came.

I could have sworn my heart stopped beating as Roger the Ringmaster spoke into the microphone, and I did my best to brace myself for what was about to come. After watching about a thousand videos on YouTube and listening to everything that these four people had to say, I was more than ready. Before I knew it, I was screaming my heart out. They were right there in the flesh for my eyes to behold: the boys form Panic! At the Disco. My mind was overwhelmed with wonderful and fantastic thoughts as I stared at the handsome, breath-taking, real live Ryan Ross. Any time that he would sing or move around or get close to Brendon, I screamed, knowing good and well that he wouldn't hear me, but it was still worth the effort to show that I have been a decent fan of his ever since I had accept his music. They all put on quite a show, but my eyes would not stray away from Ryan for more than a second. I kept him in my sight as long as he would stay there. Everyone was singing along, even my friend, who I didn't think listened to their music as much as I did. She seemed to know what she was singing about.

When Time To Dance eventually came up, I looked over to my friend and grinned. About a million times I must have told her that the particular song was my favorite. She looked back just when I did, and shouted something to me. "Get on my shoulders!" At first, I didn't understand over the instrumental introduction to the song, but when she repeated herself, I nodded and jumped right on up. I took the opportunity to scream as loud as I could, and experienced another heart-stopping moment. Being taller than everyone else, I must have stood out to Ryan, because he looked at me. He looked at me. I could have died, but to Ryan, that wouldn't look too appealing, so I didn't dare stop my insane behavior. I struggled to get my phone out of my pocket again and take a few more snapshots. My friend took me down after the song was over, and I aptly gave her a hug. "Thanks, Abby." I knew that she probably had gone through a lot to put this whole thing together, but letting me sit on her shoulders was just going the extra mile, and I really took it to heart. If there was anything I wanted her to know at that time, it was that.

The boys were simply amazing. They couldn't have done a better job on my birthday. The fact that left me mesmerized was that they didn't even know that it was my birthday, and to them, it was probably just another night to show people what they could do. But then again, I wouldn't know anything about what they think of their concerts. So as it was coming to an end, I almost cried. Abby saw the look on my face and gave me the hug that time.

Once it was all over, Panic! Had left the stage, and people were starting to leave, I felt even sadder. Yes, the concert was beyond words to describe, yes I loved it wanted to see more of it, yes seeing them that night made me want to see them again, but at the time I couldn't suppress my downtrodden demeanor. I mean, it was a weekend, and come Monday, I'd still be sitting in class with Panic! On my mind and only memories of what had happened. And I didn't even have a souvenir to show for it. I hadn't met a member of the band, and I hadn't gone backstage or snuck out to see them. In all honesty, it made me feel sick. Things changed ever so quickly once Abby shoved some thin, unknown object in my face, grabbed my wrist, and lead me to some place that I wasn't familiar with.

"Abigayle Jay! What is this?" I couldn't help shouting at her. She didn't tell me what she was doing and truth be told, I was afraid; not as afraid as I could have been, however. As long as she was with me, I could keep my nerve. Before I had even paid any attention to what she had given me, I stared at her expectantly for about a minute straight. She paid no mind and kept walking and weaving her way through the unknown corridors. Eventually, I gave up and glanced down at what I had been grasping so tightly in my long fingers. It was a ticket of some kind, because it looked so similar to our admission tickets. My eyes widened once they looked over the words for the very first time. "BACKSTAGE PASSES? This is so unreal! How did you get this?" I furrowed my brow once I looked up and she still wasn't responding. I think she was so concentrated on finding her way to wherever we were going, because as far as I knew, she had never been there either.

All of the sudden, she stopped. I hadn't been paying attention, as I had grown used to it by then, so I ran into her first thing. "Sorry!" I said as I back up hesitantly and looked her over. Her reaction gave me the creeps. She just stood there, grinning at me with a twinkle in her eye. Once, she glanced over to the door we were standing in front of. It was a plain, brown door in the middle of an empty white hallway, so I didn't think it was anything special. "What?" I said with a hint of annoyance in my voice. I was seriously irked. She hadn't said one word to me, but she was still smiling. I didn't even know where the hell we were. Before I knew it, she had opened the door, grabbed my arm, shoved me in, and closed it in my face.

A look of pure shock had settled itself upon my face. I could care less about what was in the room, because at the time, I was just upset with my friend. On impulse, I took the door handle and attempted to turn it, but it wouldn't open. After a few jiggles, I knew it was no use. She had locked me in and left me by myself. I was afraid. So without thinking about taking a look at where she had led me to, I just faced the door, knocked on it a few times, and shouted random threats to Abby, hoping that she would open it and apologize.

That was when the unexpected happened. A voice came from behind me. "I don't think she's there." It sounded so well-known to me, but I still jumped when I heard it and turned around right away. I refused to believe that there was a young man standing across the small sitting room from me. My eyes widened again, only in disbelief, as my jaw dropped slightly. The person couldn't possibly be who it looked like. But I blinked a few times, and it didn't change. My mind was telling me that he was there.

It was Ryan Ross.
Sign up to rate and review this story