Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > An Unexpected Birthday Present

What a Guitar Can Do

by awe-or-sympathy 0 reviews

A fan's golden birthday turns out to be more than she ever imagined when she attends a concert for Panic! At the Disco.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Published: 2007-07-18 - Updated: 2007-07-19 - 1420 words

0Unrated
Ryan's POV
I watched her as she looked around tentatively. Part of me was surprised that she hadn't so far said anything about the band or being famous or wanting to fuck me or something that I would dread talking about. She was treating me like a normal person even if she knew that I was known throughout the word, and for that, I admired her. So, to me, being locked in the room with her didn't seem so bad.

As soon as she pointed it out, my eyes alighted on my guitar. I had forgotten that I brought it, so there was a bit of space between her question and my answer, as I was remembering why I had brought it. Then she asked another question, and I figured, why not.

She looked so hesitant and nervous after I had allowed her to hold it. Actually, I didn't even know if she wanted to just hold it or play it, but I figured in time I would know. I stood back and watched as she hesitantly picked up the guitar and put the strap around her neck and shoulder. She didn't appear to know what she was doing, but when I took in the sight, she looked so natural with the guitar. Her right hand curled under the bottom of the guitar and her left handed fingers pushed down between a few frets. But then she just stood there, looking up at me, and I was confused.

"Well, go on. Play it," I coaxed, wanting to hear what level she was at.

"I can't."

"Oh..." I remembered she didn't have a pick, so I began searching my pockets and quickly held one out to her once I had a hold of it. I was even more confused when she shook her head.

"No. I don't know how..." Her head went back down too stare at the floor, and again the feeling of pity washed over me. Unsure of what to do, I remained standing in front of her at first, my mind debating as to whether to teach her a few things or just let her put it back down. When I thought about it, I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be any fun for her if she just got to hold my guitar. After making that decision, I carefully stepped behind her and held her right hand with my own after placing the pick in her hand.

The only thing that I really like about being so close to her was that she was so warm. Her hand was only a bit warmer than mine, but the rest of her gave me the sudden urge to move closer. I reluctantly resister, however, and told her which frets to put her fingers between and which strings to hold down. Once she got it right, I slowly moved her hand over the guitar so that the pick would catch the right strings. It created a major chord, but since the guitar wasn't plugged into an amp, it had an empty sound to it.

After that, I looked down at her, wondering what she thought of it.

Amanda's POV
I was silent the entire time, but a million thoughts were flying through my head as I took the guitar and put the strap over my head. He's going to see it - that you haven't held a guitar in at least a year. Just don't drop it. Keep your nerve. Don't break it or something. I could feel my hands trembling as I placed them on the guitar where I thought they were supposed to go. I was just so unfamiliar with the instrument that I had no idea what I was doing. With that thought in my head, I stood there, nothing coming to mind as of what to do.

"Well, go on. Play it."

I could detect the coaxing in his voice, and even though I liked it, I was still so terrified. Mind filled with doubt, I looked up at him and the words erupted from my mouth. It sounded like an obvious show of my emotions to me, but he didn't seem to notice. He just got out a pick for to use. That hadn't even crossed my mind, that I would need a pick to play it, but it didn't help at all. I was still panicking.

There was a look of actual surprise on my face when he moved behind me. My eyes pinched shut as his arm slowly slid around to hold my hand. The rest of my body stiffened until his hand my contact with mine. Just the feeling of his skin against mine calmed me down, and a let out a long, deep breath. I listened carefully as he told me to put my fingers in certain frets on certain strings. My fingers struggled to hold them all down, but after keeping them there, I got used to it.

I wanted so badly to look up at him, but I was unsure where his head was, and I didn't want to bump into it and make the whole thing one big awkward moment. So, I stared down at the guitar just as soon as he lifted my hand and strummed the pick against the strings. It didn't sound too good because it was just an electric guitar with no electricity, but I barely made out the chord and forced out a smile once I did. That was when I looked up at him, smiling as his eyes met mine.

He was giving a small smile back to me, so my only reaction was to be confused as he let go of my hand and turned around, stepping toward the wall. I didn't want to move, though, for fear of dropping the guitar, so I turned my head, watching him out of the corner of my eye. Ryan was crouched over, and carried a black box out from the corner. When he plugged it into the wall and another cord into it, I figured it must have been an amplifier. The thought was reinstated in my mind as I watched him come back over to me with the other end of the cord in his hand. He came up behind me again and plugged it into the side. My hands didn't move when I watched him play around with the dials on the guitar.

I felt my hands begin to tremble again as his same hand closed over mine. To suppress the nervousness, I bit down on my lip, hoping that it would go away. Ryan stuck his head out closer to mine so that I could see him. I thought he glanced at me, but I couldn't tell because I was trying to avoid his gaze. My eyes stared down at the ground. His hand slowly moved up to the top string of the guitar, taking mine and the pick with it. "Like this," he said softly as he moved his hand down across the strings again. That time, I heard the beautiful chord loud and clear. At the sound, I couldn't help the wide smile that suddenly appeared on my face.

I turned my head to the side that his was on, and jerked it a bit, noticing how close his face was to mine. His breath was hitting my face directly, and I felt my eyelids pulling down and wanting to close. I resisted, however. My gaze was directly in his, eyes staring into those deep pools of brown. I had gotten so lost in them that I didn't realize it when I dropped the pick. It made a little noise as it hit the floor, but I didn't pay any attention to it. I kept staring, trying to read off anything he might have been trying to tell me without actually saying it. The biggest thing I noticed was his hand still clasped tightly on mine. There was only one way I knew to return the favor: I turned my hand and entwined my fingers with his. After that, I couldn't help but let my eyelids fall a bit. There was still that need to look into his eyes, however, so I did.

All of that nervousness had left me, although my mind was still on the constant search to gain control of what was happening. That seemed impossible, though, because my mind wasn't at all wrapped around the thought that I was so close to Ryan Ross.
Sign up to rate and review this story