Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > An Unexpected Birthday Present

Making the Connection

by awe-or-sympathy 0 reviews

A fan's golden birthday turns out to be more than she ever imagined when she attends a concert for Panic! At the Disco.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Published: 2007-07-18 - Updated: 2007-07-19 - 922 words

0Unrated
Ryan's POV
Just by the way she acted to my words; I could tell that I liked this girl, if liking means in a friendly sort of way. I had already put a positive notation to the name "Amanda" because Spencer, Brendon, Jon, and I were on tour with the Dresden Dolls a matter of months ago. I was intrigued by her from the way she was behaving. It was so obvious that she truly was shy, but I got a hint that she was trying not to be from the way she responded. I had probably gained some of her attention just being in the band, and that same unsure part of me was surprised that I could make this girl act a certain way without having any contact with her whatsoever.

Since the thought that I had seen her somewhere before was growing in my head, I asked her if I had. To be honest, I didn't even remember looking at her. Perhaps I was just looking in her direction and had subconsciously remembered her. Either way, it appeared to be helping both of us just to make a connection right off the bat. I didn't normally talk to fans as much as I was talking with Amanda, but at the time, I began to wonder why. I didn't know if I would be saying the exact same things to her if she was one of a countless number of kids screaming at me, hoping that I would sign something for them, because she might not have stood out like she was at that moment. If I had thought about it then, I wouldn't have. If she was as shy as she appeared, she probably wouldn't stand out to me around other kids. She hadn't in the crowd that evening.

After I had made my comment about it being a pleasure for me to meet her, I smiled, knowing full and well that I was running out of things to talk about by the second. Luckily, she had thought of something that sparked my attention: the door was locked.

Eyes widening again, I rushed over to the door and grasped the handle tightly, pulling and twisting all that I could, but the door would not open. "That's impossible! It can't be locked from the outside." Then, once I thought about it, it had to be so. If we weren't locked in, she would have been gone before she even noticed I was in the room. I turned around quickly, the edginess disappearing from me as I gazed at her once more.

"I suppose so..."

Amanda's POV
I got a little jumpy as he darted over to the door and struggled to open it like I had been doing. I told him that it was, so I didn't get why he was running to try and open it when I clearly hadn't been able to before. But maybe he was one of those people who had to figure things out for themselves. That was what I got out of it, simply because nothing else came to mind.

I didn't say anything to him, about it, though. It was a shock enough that Abby had locked us in here. I couldn't be one to complain, but I would scold her with anguish if it got Ryan in any sort of trouble. She might not even get yelled at just by me if he was supposed to be somewhere. We'd probably never be allowed to see them again if we were keeping him from something. Not that it was my fault in anyway, save for wanting to meet him on my golden birthday.

I looked around as if I were bored; just to show him that I wasn't the best with starting off conversations and such things. I still wanted to get to know him as much as I could, hoping that he didn't get that impression from me. I hoped that he knew that I wasn't just some random person who hated all things having to do with Panic! At the Disco. No, I was a fan, a decent fan if I did say so myself. I just didn't know what to say.

My eyes strayed around in the silence, taking in what would be a comfortable room had not there been a bright fluorescent light burning above Ryan and me. There was a desk with a lit desk light and a few papers on it, a couch, a few instruments here and there. Luckily, one stood out in my eyes, and I knew that that would be the start of our time spent waiting to be free.

"Is that your guitar?" I asked, pointing to the white guitar on its stand in the corner of the room. Ryan turned his head, making it difficult for me to see the expression on his face.

"One of them," he said with a nod.

"Can I...?" I gestured toward the guitar as I spoke, as if to ask if I could hold it. I anxiously awaited his response. Half of me expected him to say no, and I would respect that if he did, but the other half I was leaning toward, my hopes in that he would let me pick it up.

He was still turned toward it, so his facial expression was still hidden from me. My heart leapt again at his response. "Just be careful." Along with a smile, that seemed to be the most perfect response he could give me.
Sign up to rate and review this story