Categories > Games > Sonic the Hedgehog > 02 - Illness

Chapter 4

by The__Outcasts 0 reviews

...As you could be leaving sooner than you thought...

Category: Sonic the Hedgehog - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Miles ,Sonic - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-12-23 - Updated: 2008-01-17 - 6927 words

0Unrated
Sonic has been awfully quiet, Sally mused. Only once in a while he would say something, but what he said seemed laconic.

Sally gazed down at Sonic. He was sitting awkwardly, with his legs crossed underneath him and leaning forward so that his elbows could touch the mattress. Sonic's head was resting on top of his folded arms and was staring straight ahead, not really taking in anything. He actually looked smaller when he sat like that; since the mutation he had grown to about three foot nine, which was about five inches taller than Sally.

Sally pushed away her forelock and lowered her head to Sonic's eye level. "Are you comfortable like that, Sonic?" she questioned.

"Sort of. Think I dislocated my hip by doing this though," Sonic answered somewhat dryly, moving only his eyes to look at Sally.

"Is something bothering you, Sonic? You've been pretty quiet for a while now and that's not like you at all," Sally said, carefully placing her hand on Sonic's head. She ran one of her fingers along Sonic's main head quill, surprised at how soft it was. She always imagined that they were like knives, sharp and deadly. Sally wondered how Sonic made his quills cut through robots and metal surfaces like he did on missions. She felt Sonic stiffen, then somewhat relaxing.

Sonic sighed inwardly and shook his head slightly. "No, I'm okay. Just wish that this was over so that we can go on with our lives," he murmured, closing his eyes. "But I can tell something is bothering you too, Sal."

That was true. Sally was thinking about what Sonic had said before, which she believed what had made Sonic fall quiet.

The statement sounded so confused, almost lost to Sally. Didn't Sonic know that everyone cared about him? It always occurred to Sally that Sonic knew that and just shrugged off their concerns, but obviously Sonic was not aware of it. It was so strange to Sally. Then something came to mind.

When Sonic said that first statement, did he mean Sally herself?

Sally gazed down at Sonic. He was still looking away from Sally, but she knew that he was waiting for an answer. Could it be possible that he...

Sally shook her head. No, that is impossible. There is no way Sonic would like Sally that way.

Right?

Sally looked around the private room and spotted the wall-mounted clock on the opposite wall. It read 10:37pm.

She counted to herself mentally then said, "There's about another eleven hours left before this is over, Sonic." It was all she could think of to change the subject.

Sonic sat up and stared at Sally with disbelief. "Eleven hours?" he exclaimed, then groaned. "That's like forever!"

Sally noticed that Sonic appeared drained; his ears and quills drooped from lack of energy and his gaze seemed sort of un-focussed.

"I wish I could do something to make this easier for you," Sally sighed sympathetically, gazing at the blue hedgehog shamefully. Sonic smiled faintly and took a hold of Sally's hand.

"No, you've helped me out a lot today, Sal. Don't worry about it," he stated, squeezing her hand slightly.

Sally smiled and hugged Sonic gently. "Thank you, Sonic. That means a lot to me when you say that," she whispered, kissing Sonic lightly on his cheek. When she pulled away from Sonic it clicked. What made her do that? Was Sonic thinking that as well?

"Hey, why did you do that for, Sal?" Sonic questioned, pressing his hand where Sally had kissed him.

Sally was expecting him to say 'that was way past uncool, Sal.' in his usual fashion, but instead got nothing. There was a confused look on his face.

"I just... wanted to show you my appreciation, for what you said just then. You have to admit, Sonic, you don't show your gratitude often," Sally responded after a moment of thinking. That actually sounded harsher to her now that she thought about it more clearly.

"Yeah, guess that's true," Sonic admitted, laughing shortly. Sally gave a mental sigh of relief. Guess Sonic is hard to offend sometimes.

"So let me show my gratitude to you now," Sonic said suddenly.

"Wha--"

Before Sally could ask what he meant by that Sonic had leaned over and kissed her warmly on her lips, holding Sally perfectly still as she froze in her place. After a moment she quickly recovered and warmly kissed Sonic back, closing her eyes as she slowly placed her arms around his shoulders.

When Sonic broke the kiss Sally stared at him numbly. Did that really happen? Her arms were still around Sonic's shoulders and her mind was screaming for her to retrieve them.

They weren't moving, and Sonic's arms were seemingly stuck around her waist, also not moving. Only their lips were moving, closer to each other's.

Their lips met, keeping their place. The kiss was longer than the first one, and more breathtaking in an amazing sense. The kiss was broken once more and arms wrapped around on another for an embrace. Sonic nuzzled Sally's neck gently while she pressed her head against his shoulder. All questions were answered, all suspicions confirmed, all desires made reality. They didn't even notice as the door opened and a head poking into the room, before silently disappearing behind the door as it closed.

"But how long has this been going on for?" Sally questioned quietly, voice holding a slight quiver of emotion to it. She felt Sonic shake his head before he rested his chin on her shoulder.

"Too long. Just... too long," Sonic answered, giving a weak smirk. His heart was racing, thundering against his chest and threatening to explode right through it. That had to be one of the most terrifying experiences he had ever gone through, and now that it was over he couldn't seem to recover from it.

Sonic rubbed the palm of his hand over Sally's back; he imagined that was how she was feeling now. A small squeeze around his shoulders confirmed the assumption.

They stayed like that for what seemed like hours until Sonic gave a sudden growl and shook his head, as if to clear it.

"What's wrong, Sonic?" Sally questioned, pulling away from him and watched as Sonic pawed tenderly at his eyes and shook his head again.

"I don't know. I just feel light-headed all of a sudden," he responded, then shivered visibly. "Is it cold in here?" he asked.

Sally stared at Sonic oddly, not knowing what to think of the question. She didn't feel cold at all, and there weren't any windows in the room so there couldn't have been a draft anywhere. "Sonic, it isn't cold at all," Sally informed. But by then Sonic's teeth had begun to chatter together. He wrapped his arms about himself and drew his knees to his chest to gather more warmth.

"How can you not feel it, it's like a freezer in here?" he demanded around his chattering teeth. Sally placed her hands on his shoulders and felt her fur stand on end. Taking a hold of Sonic's hand gave a similar reaction.

"You're the one that's freezing," she exclaimed. Sonic groaned and leaned back against the pillows, then curled himself into a tight ball as he began to tremble convulsively. He began to draw in slow, trembling breaths, but to him it felt like his lungs had knotted themselves up. With a start he sat up.

"Oh, man. I gotta walk around," he panted, pushing himself to the edge of the bed. But then he moaned and held his head as a wave of dizziness and nausea pulsed over his body.

"Come on, I'll help you walk," Sally offered, draping Sonic's arm around her shoulders and pulling him to his feet. There wasn't much walking space in the private room, so all Sally could do was guide Sonic around the bed in a slow and steady pace. But after a minute or so the hedgehog began crying out in agony as cramps started to form in his legs, and he demanded for them to stop. In fear that she was somehow hurting Sonic, Sally obeyed without hesitation.

She helped Sonic to lean against the far wall, keeping a close eye on him as he gasped for breath. Then he moaned and slumped down to the floor, body limp.

"Sonic!" Sally cried out, instantly at his side and cradling his body in her arms. Sonic's head lolled against Sally's shoulder, and she felt that he was burning up again.

"Suh--Sal--iee..." Sonic whispered. Sally squeezed his hand.

"I'm here, Sonic," she confirmed, then helped him to sit up. Sonic's eyes were now rimmed with a tinge of red, but were heavily clouded. Even his slit pupils were clouded to a solid white, like he had cataract.

"It's so hot... it's hurts..." Sonic began to groan, before trailing off. Now he was just staring straight ahead, not taking in anything. This sent Sally's heart racing as she tapped his cheek

"Sonic? Sonic?" she called. He continued to stare, not moving, barely breathing.

"Come on, Sonic. Answer me," Sally cried, panicking. Her eyes darted towards the emergency call button embedded in the opposite wall.

"I can't see. Sally?" Sonic finally called, moving his eyes as he searched. He didn't even blink.

Sally again draped Sonic's arm around her shoulder and helped him to his feet, then dragged him to the bed. As soon as he was lying down Sonic curled into a tight ball. Sally sat next to him and began stroking his head gingerly, dipping her head low enough to hear his harsh breathing. She pressed her cheek against Sonic's own, feeling the fire of his fever. "Come on, Sonic. Don't give up now," she whispered.

Eventually Sonic's breathing returned close to its normal rhythm, and he was now close to functioning normally. Sally waited as Sonic uncurled and stretched himself to his full height.

"What's happening?" Sonic whispered, groping for Sally's hand. Sally grabbed Sonic's hand and gave it a squeeze, just to let him know that she was holding it now.

"You just had a brief relapse, but I think it's over now," she explained, hoping that she was closer to the truth than she felt. "How do you feel?"

Sonic drew in a deep breath and closed his eyes. "Cold. Really cold," he answered. Sally gingerly rubbed Sonic's arm, again noticing how cold it felt, then reached to the end of the bed and unfurled the blankets that sat folded there. These she spread over Sonic's trembling body, wrapping one of them around his shoulders for extra warmth.

"Is that any better?" she questioned. Sonic simply nodded, his eyes still closed.

"I'm so tired, I gotta rest," he breathed. Sally shook her head.

"You can't. You've gotten this far, you can't just give up now," she stressed. She gave Sonic's hand a comforting squeeze, noting that the hedgehog winced at the action. Sonic opened his eyes and gazed at Sally blindly, giving a quiet, almost weak moan.

"Just for a couple of minutes, Sal. That won't do any harm."

Without waiting for any objections Sonic closed his eyes and instantly fell asleep, his limbs going limp. Startled, Sally grabbed Sonic's shoulders and shook him awake, which caused the ill hedgehog to cry out in pain and gripped his head as his brain slammed about inside his skull, threatening to burst out.

The pain clouded his thoughts like cotton, so when Sally reached over to apologise for the action Sonic snapped at her, then began to hiss wildly as he advanced towards her. Alarmed Sally backed away from the maddened hedgehog, fumbling to get off the bed to avoid any intended attacks.

To Sonic the pain now raced throughout his body, adding fuel to his fever. It got to the point where the painful inferno became so great it seemed to consume all of his body, overheating it and sapped up all of his strength. With a gutturally groan Sonic collapsed stretched out onto the bed, almost toppling off the bed completely, and one step away from being unconscious.

He barely acknowledged the fact that Sally was now holding him close to her, rocking him back and forth in a slow rhythm as she whispered soothing words into his ear.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time seemed to slow down, playing at the two Mobians' anxiety.

Since the relapse Sonic's sickness fought a tireless battle to take over Sonic's system and shut it down for good. At the moment the battle was at its ruthless worst. The cloudy haze in Sonic's eyes had increased to an almost solid mass, and his fever had heightened and spread all over his body, but brought along with the take over a frigid chill that caused Sonic to shiver almost convulsively. A blasting headache throbbed behind Sonic's eyes and at the base of his skull, making him feel paralysed.

But it was the fatigue that was the worse of all. Each slow blink was a deadly temptation to Sonic, and it was at the point that Sonic couldn't even feel the rest of his body. If he could he would have known that he was currently curled up into a tight ball, head tucked under his arms and breathing in a heavy and shaky tone, and Sally leaning her head on his shoulders and her chest against his back, keeping a watchful eye on him.

Sally gave a quiet sigh and turned to look at the private room's door. It had been deadly quiet outside for a few hours now, and the only sign of life available was the intense glow of the fluorescent lights. They appeared blinding in contrast to the darkness of the private room; Sonic couldn't handle even the tiny light bulbs' glow. Sally continued to stare at the door, as if doing so would summon someone to come through it. She had considered calling in a nurse, but then there wasn't really much anyone could do for Sonic now.

From beneath her Sonic suddenly began moving. Sally listened as the hedgehog drew in almost choked gasps as he adjusted his position on the bed. Dry but harsh coughs shattered the gasps. Sally lifted herself away from Sonic to allow him to move more freely, even though that didn't make much difference

"Sonic, do you want some water?" Sally questioned, becoming concerned when his breathing shallowed. Sonic rolled onto his back and stared up at the ceiling, as if he didn't hear Sally's question. Just as Sally became afraid that Sonic had fallen once again into an exhaustion-stricken trance Sonic gave a silent nod, eyes inching to where he thought Sally was sitting.

Sally draped Sonic's arm over her shoulder and hoisted him into a sitting position, then reached over with her free hand to the bedside table, where a large jug of water and a glass were. After pouring a full glass Sally pressed the glass' rim against Sonic's dry lips and tipped the end up. Sonic drank, draining the glass' contents slowly.

"How are you feeling now?" Sally asked as she set the empty glass back onto the bedside table. Sonic gave another hoarse cough, then pawed at his forehead to wipe away the beads of sweat that gripped at his fur.

"Horrible... can't believe how bad this has gotten," he whispered eventually as he lay himself down again. It was the first thing he had said since his relapse hours before, but it was easy to tell that talking was a great labour to him.

"But how are you holdin' out?" he questioned after a moment. Sally shook her head and sighed, then pressed her chin against Sonic's shoulder.

"You're the one that's sick, and you're worrying about me," she commented, as she ran her hand along Sonic's burning cheek. As an afterthought she wrapped the blankets around Sonic's shoulders again, making sure that every part of his body was covered.

"I know, but there's no use in both of us being sick, right?" Sonic wheezed, forcing a weak smile. Vaguely he felt Sally run her hand over his flattened ear.

"I'm not going to fall sick just from losing a bit of sleep. And if I do it was for a good cause," Sally proclaimed. She laid herself next to Sonic again and rested her head on his shoulder, taking a grip onto his cold hand and giving it a light squeeze. Her other hand continued to stroke his ear. "We will get through this together."

A light squeeze in return confirmed that Sonic was thinking the same thing.

"Hey, that kinda feels nice when you do that," Sonic laughed, voice still hushed. "Almost comforting in a way."

"Yeah?" Sally asked. Slowly she streaked her hand down to Sonic's neck, then to his chest under the blanket. There she could feel his unsteady heartbeat, along with the unnatural burning of his fever. The fever was still spreading, despite their efforts to keep Sonic cool.

Then Sally felt something slightly warm being spread over her body and sighed with a hint of frustration. "No, Sonic. You need it more than I do," she said firmly, taking off the blanket and stretching it over Sonic.

"Take it, Sal. I've got enough already, and I feel hot again," Sonic insisted, as he rolled onto his back and pushed himself into a sort of sitting position. He placed his hand on Sally's shoulder and gently pulled her closer to him, feeling her curl up against him. He took this opportunity to once again spread the blanket over Sally.

"You're very persistent, even when you're sick," Sally muttered, but smiled all the same.

"Yeah, but I don't think I can keep that up much longer," Sonic admitted before coughing harshly.

"You're doing fine, just don't give up." She held Sonic's cheek in her hand and pressed the top of her muzzle against his throat. Sally was surprised when Sonic allowed a quiet purr to bubble through his throat, then snuggled his own muzzle against her cheek.

"I won't, don't worry about that," he murmured, tightening his grip around Sally's shoulders slightly. They lay there in silence for a while, Sally keeping her hand placed on Sonic's chest so that she could feel both his heartbeat and breathing, while Sonic tried to keep himself relaxed without falling asleep.

"You scared me in Robotropolis today," Sally finally murmured. She didn't look up when she felt Sonic move.

"What? How did I do that, Sal?" Sonic questioned. For a moment Sally didn't say anything, so Sonic inquired again, thinking that perhaps she hadn't heard him.

"When Bunnie called me, I knew something had happened to you. And when I saw you... just lying there..." Sally's voice choked up violently. Tears stung at the corners of her eyes. "I thought I was going to lose you today, Sonic."

She finally broke down crying, burying her face against the fur on Sonic's neck. Sonic could feel the tears as they fell on him, alongside Sally's body trembling with each sob. Carefully he pulled Sally away from him and turned to his side, so that he was facing her.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm sorry for scaring you, I would never do that to you on purpose," Sonic comforted, running his thumb tip along Sally's cheek to wipe away her tears. He then drew her close, pressing his burning forehead against her cool one. "And you'll never lose me, I plan on sticking around for a very long time."

Slowly Sally began to calm down, her crying nothing but quiet sniffles. "Yes, but how do I know for sure how long you can keep yourself alive?" she questioned. "I don't know how I would be able to keep going without you."

"Now don't say that," Sonic sighed. He swept his fingers through Sally's hair, pushing it towards the side so he could see her eyes, or what he could see through his clouded vision. "You'd find a way, I'm sure of it."

"But you're the reason why I see it's worth waking up every morning to this hell," Sally confessed. Sonic fell silent, for once lost for words.

"I had no idea you felt like that towards me, if I'd known..." he murmured. Softly he ran his hand along Sally's back. "Come on, cheer up. There's no way I'm gonna leave you behind."

He felt Sally tighten her grip around his shoulders and drawing herself as close as she could. "I know, but that doesn't stop me from being afraid," she lamented.

"It's not easy not being scared."

Sally sighed and wiped at her eyes, sniffling quietly.


"You okay now?" Sonic questioned. Sally nodded as she tried to swallow the large lump of emotion that had formed in her throat.

"Guess it was my turn to tell you my problems," she laughed shortly.

"Yeah, but I'm glad you did." Sonic pulled the blanket over Sally's shoulders more and repositioned himself so that her head was resting on his shoulder. Sally pressed her hand against his forehead, then his cheek and neck.

"You're still burning up," she murmured.

"I'll live," Sonic croaked. "What time is it anyway?"

Sally tilted her head to gaze at the wall-mounted clock, but she couldn't see it from her position. Somehow she just couldn't make herself sit up. "Late, I know that much," she informed quietly. Sonic began stroking her head softly.

"And you're getting tired," he added. Sally shook her head.

"I'm fine, just a little drained I guess."

"Bunnie should be coming soon, so you can get some sleep now," Sonic suggested. Again Sally shook her head.

"No, what if you need me for something?"

"I could easily call you. I can still talk," Sonic commented.

"But still, I rather not."

Sally lapsed into silence again, and out of respect Sonic didn't try to pull her out of it. He wasn't sure, but it felt like at least an hour had passed before Sonic could hear the distinct sound of Sally's evened breathing. Blinking to clear his clouded vision Sonic smirked when he saw that Sally had indeed fallen asleep.

"Knew she couldn't stay awake any longer," he whispered to himself as he pulled Sally further up, so that her head was now resting on the pillow. Carefully he swept Sally's forelock away and kissed her forehead, then as an afterthought added, "Sweet dreams, Sal," before closing his eyes as well.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

She felt so warm and comfortable; she didn't even want to get out of bed. Slowly Sally floated higher along the states of consciousness until she came close to full awareness, where she felt heavy blankets spread over her body, a semi-soft mattress below here, and the distant sound of a nurse's voice over the PA system echo through the corridors of the hospital.

Sally dwelled on that last sensation for a while, allowing it to twist about in her still somewhat fatigued mind, until it became apparent that she had thought of a hospital. She opened her eyes, waited a moment, then realised that she wasn't in her hut at all but a hospital room. Instantly realisation and panic flashed through her blue eyes as she remembered the events of last night: Sonic's strange illness, her volunteering to stay with him, Sonic getting seriously sick, blank... blank... blank...

Blank.

The blanks struck a nervous chord deep inside her soul, sliced through her heart and punched her sharply in the stomach.

Sally bolted upright and averted her eyes to the space beside her, finding it devoid of the blue hedgehog. Sally ran her hand over the space that he had been lying on hours before, only to find it colder than the chills that ran down her spine.

"Sonic?" she called, only to feel her heart swell up into her throat and threaten to choke her. She practically leaped off of the bed, not bothering to pick up the blankets that fell to the floor, and scanned the room for any signs of Sonic. But just like the space beside her, the room was empty. Sally pulled the door open and made her way down the long corridor, fighting to not run down it in panic. She needed to find Doctor Quack.

At the main desk of the hospital a tall grey and white female lemur nurse was typing away at one of the computer terminals. When Sally reached the desk the lemur glanced up and gave the Princess a warm smile, immediately stopping her typing.

"Good afternoon, Princess. Are you here to see a patient?" the nurse greeted kindly as she sat up straight in her chair. Biting her bottom lip Sally gazed around herself before speaking.

"No, actually. Well, I am, but you see he was... um..." Sally stopped and forced herself to calm down. The nurse was looking at her oddly now.

"I was just wondering if Sonic Hedgehog was still in the hospital," Sally requested finally, managing to not stutter or fumble. But still the nurse looked at her oddly.

"I wasn't aware that Mr. Hedgehog was in the hospital, Princess. Was he injured?" she questioned as she called up a window on her computer. Again she began typing.

"No, he was scheduled to stay over night, by Doctor Quack yesterday afternoon," Sally clarified, again feeling her heart choking her. The choking seemed to increase with each key the nurse pressed.

After a few minutes the lemur nurse shook her head and gazed up at Sally. "No, I'm sorry, Princess. But there aren't any records of Mr. Hedgehog being here at all. Can you tell me which room he was suppose to be in?"

Not 'suppose to be in', is in, Sally thought to herself. "Private Room two-six-four, near the East Wing," she responded. The nurse pushed herself away from the desk and, with the aid of her wheeled desk-chair, glided over to a large whiteboard that was mounted on the wall. With a finger she guided her sight over the large grid drawn with whiteboard marker until she reached the private room Sally had mentioned. The nurse's eyes widened when she found that there was a name scrawled in green marker in the designated box, but it appeared to have been wiped away with a thumb. Only a hinting of the letter 'S' still remained.

Slowly the nurse wheeled her way back to the desk and gave a slight sigh. "It appears that Mr. Hedgehog was assigned to that room, but his name has been wiped off the board. That plus there being no records of him being in the hospital, I'm afraid that means the patient has recently deceased," the lemur explained, keeping her voice monotone and flat in contrast to her chirpy voice used before. But there was a look of regret etched onto her black and white face.

One by one each of Sally's senses went numb. The transformation was apparent when Sally began to push herself away from the desk and blankly made her way to the exit. Alarmed, the nurse stood sharply. "Princess? Do you need a doctor? Princess Sally," she called, only to be ignored.

Sally made it outside the hospital and into the courtyard of Knothole Village without any form of pursuit. The sun beat down onto the village, making the air warm and pleasant to the villagers as the proceeded with their daily chores. None seemed to notice Sally as she continued her zombie-like trek to the edge of the village, where her hut was located. It seemed to her that she was invisible to the world, just like the world was invisible to her numbed mind.

The trek took a good and painfully long five minutes before Sally was about five metres away from her hut. It was here that Sally's mind finally pushed through the cloudbank and snapped back into reality. Along with this sensation came the overwhelming feeling of what had just occurred, and with this realisation came a strangled cry from the Princess' throat.

Sally buried her face in her hands, allowing her emotions to pour into them like a river into a tiny jar. Her shoulders shook, her chest heaved, her whole body suddenly felt very, very drained. Sally could have collapsed to the ground if someone hadn't grabbed her shoulders from behind.

Startled, Sally spun about, coming face to face with Bunnie Rabbot. There was a look of concern on her face. "Sally-girl, wha' th' mattah with you? You're a sight," she exclaimed, and gripped Sally's shoulders to keep her from falling. Sally gulped in a mouthful of air and allowed a few more sobs escape her throat. She tried to speak, but then how could she tell Bunnie that because of her Sonic was now dead?

"Sally-girl, tell me what's wrong. Y'all scarin' me heah!" Bunnie cried anxiously, tightening her grip. Sally just shook her head and pressed her hands against her face, surrendering to the fresh batch of tears that surfaced. She crumbled against Bunnie and cried, unaware that she was now babbling incoherently through her tears. But when she did stop Sally buried her face into Bunnie's normal shoulder, and continued to cry.

Bunnie stood there, unable to think of what Sally had said to her. But with a determined tug she pulled Sally away from her and looked at her straight in the eye. "Ah think y'all should come with me, Sally-girl," she said gently, and led Sally through the village's courtyard. Sally shook her head and moaned.

"No, Bunnie. I... I just want to be left alone..." she pleaded, wiping away tears from her cheeks.

"Sally-girl, Ah really think y'all should come with me, now," Bunnie said sternly. That's when Sally decided maybe it would be better if she just kept her mouth shut.

The two Mobians had been walking for a few minutes before Sally realised that Bunnie was leading her to the other end of the village. At this side of the village no one lived there, nor were there any structures built there except one: Doctor Quack's Medical Clinic.

Sally's eyes widened. "Why are you taking me here, Bunnie?" she questioned eventually.

"Ah jerst think that y'all need ta see something before y'all try ta do something you'll regret latah," Bunnie simply responded, keeping her eyes ahead of herself. Once they reached the doctor's medical centre Bunnie pushed the door open and led Sally in, closing the door behind her when she entered.

The first thing Sally noticed about the centre was how unusually dark it was. And how it seemed that every sound that existed in the village had been somehow eliminated inside the walls of the clinic, as it was dead silent. A dropped feather would have been able to shatter the silence of the clinic.

"This way, Sally-girl," Bunnie called in a low voice, and beckoned for her to follow her down a corridor. Confused, Sally followed without protest or question. She just wanted to know what the cyborg rabbit was up to.

Her answer came in a form of a closed door further down the corridor. Bunnie gently knocked on it and waited until it was opened, and the head of Doctor Quack poked out. He caught sight of Sally and gave a faint smile, which made Sally feel even more downcast than before.

"So you're finally awake, Princess? That's good to see," the doctor whispered, still keeping up his smile.

"Is it all right if we come in, Doc?" Bunnie whispered. Sally wondered why everyone was whispering all of a sudden. Doctor Quack nodded and opened the door further, stepping away from the doorway to allow Bunnie and Sally in.

"Just try to keep quiet, he's still sleeping," he warned, cocking his head to the opposite wall. Sally twisted her head to follow the gesture and froze in her place, once again overcome by shock. In the only bed of the room covered with thick blankets and propped up on a huge pile of pillows, was Sonic, sleeping peacefully and oblivious to the world.

Still stunned by the hedgehog's appearance, Sally walked over to the bed and sat next to Sonic, looking him over as if to make sure that he was really there.

"I..." Sally began, pausing only for a moment to collect her thoughts. She didn't notice Doctor Quack continue with whatever he was doing before he was interrupted by their visit, nor Bunnie as she stood behind her.

"I should kill him," Sally finally stated, turning to face Bunnie. There was a glare on her face, but it wasn't aimed at Bunnie herself.

Calmly, Bunnie shook her head. "Ah wouldn't try it, Sally-girl. He's as weak as a kitten now, so he won't be able ta put up much of a fight," she informed. Sally turned back to face Sonic, noticing just how pale and sickly-appearing he was. And Sally could tell that his fever still lingered, because the flushed red on his cheeks showed right through his fur. Thankfully, though, Sonic's breathing was slow and even, as opposed to the harsh almost choked breathing he was doing last night.

Carefully, Sally picked up Sonic's exposed hand and clutched it, noticing the thin I.V tube that had been inserted into his wrist and bandaged into place. The Drip attached to the tube was filled with a clear liquid.

"How long has Sonic been here?" she asked.

"'bout coupla houahs, give or take a minute. When th' twenty-four houahs was ovah and th' Doc gave him th' counter-agent fer the chemicalSugah-hog jerst zonked right out, and he hasn't moved since," Bunnie responded.

"But the nurse at the main desk--"

"I wouldn't worry about that, Princess," Docotor Quack assured. "We somewhat sneaked Sonic out of the hospital a couple of hours earlier than the intented time. When we came in to check up on the both of you you had drifted off to sleep and Sonic was at the stage where he was highly sensitive to everything surrounding him, even the slightest sounds. So we moved him here into the clinic so he wouldn't be disturbed any further."

"So Sonic's going to be all right now, doctor?" she questioned once she had allowed all the information to sink in. Doctor Quack pulled out a selected folder from the bookshelf and dumped it onto the desk, opening it at a seemingly random page.

"Sonic is still fairly sick at the moment, and it will be a few days at least I'd say before he's fully recovered. This is a sort of after effect of both the chemical and the counter-agent," he explained, then glared at the page disapprovingly and closed the folder, slipping it back into its place. "I ran some more tests on the chemical, and it seems that it has somewhat affected Sonic's adrenaline hormones. So when adrenaline is released into Sonic's blood so is the chemical, which in enough quantities will cause Sonic to become sick."

"And this will be fatal?"

The doctor shook his head. "Most likely no. But that doesn't mean that he can't become this sick again. This is a fairly new illness, so the most we can do is experiment with different treatments until we get the one that can help control the symptoms. So far the only treatment available for his 'Sleeping Sickness' is the counter-agent, but that only works to help neutralise the chemical. And that's where we come back to the current situation."

Doctor Quack nodded his head towards the unconscious Sonic.

"The best way to avoid any of this happening again is to make sure that Sonic doesn't become overly stressed, which would allow the chemical to be released."

The doctor pulled out yet another folder from the shelf and opened it. With a satisfied grin he closed the folder and stuffed it under his arm, and headed for the door. "I have another patient to attend to. Bunnie, could you stay with Sonic until I get back?" he requested.

"Shure thang, Doc," Bunnie confirmed cheerfully, but still kept her voice low. It was then that Sally realised that the two of them had been whispering the whole time; even she was doing it without realising it.

"Would it be all right if I stayed as well, doctor?" Sally asked.

"If you feel up to it, you may. But I would like it if you got some proper rest afterwards," Doctor Quack said, then left the two of them in the middle of the silence.

Sally sat there for the first five minutes just staring at Sonic's paled face, his limp paw grasped tightly in her hand, and wondering what would happen over the next few days.

"So you wanna explain wha' happened last night?" Bunnie queried, snapping Sally out of her thoughts. She turned to face the cyborg rabbit again, this time a questioning look of her face.

"What do you mean?" Sally asked, to which Bunnie gave a coy smile.

"When Ah came in ta do mah half of th' watch, th' both of you were locked in th' middle of a ratha' tende' moment," she explained, smiling. "So wha' happened?"

Sally felt her cheeks flush under her fur, and hoped that unlike Sonic's the colour didn't show through her fur. "Well, I... Sonic, he--"

"Ya both finally confessed to each otha'," Bunnie exclaimed, then clamped her hand over her mouth, her eyes falling straight onto Sonic. He continued to sleep soundly, undisturbed by her outburst.

The fire under Sally's furred cheeks burned furiously as she nodded. Bunnie gave a muffled but excited squeal and grabbed Sally's free hand, as if that would help channel her excitement. "Well, tell me how it happened, then, Sally-girl. Ah wanna heah everythang."

"I can't now, Bunnie. Not while Sonic's sleeping. I'll tell you back home when Doctor Quack gets back from his errand, I promise," Sally insisted, tossing a quick glance to the door.

"Aw, Sally-girl. Ya can't do that ta me," Bunnie pouted.

"Ah, Sal. Just tell her, can't you see she's dyin' to know what happened?" a rather hoarse, but quiet voice said. Sally twisted about in her place, finding Sonic to be somewhat awake and grinning. The clouded haze was still present in his eyes, but from last night it had cleared up slightly. Sally smiled warmly and leaned forward so that she could speak quietly to the hedgehog.

"Hey, you. How are you feeling?" she asked, squeezing Sonic's hand. In response Sonic coughed heavily, the breath inside his chest rattling audibly. When the coughing subsided Sonic somehow managed to wheeze: "I feel good."

Sally shook her head and gave a sympathetic croon, stroking Sonic's still burning forehead with her free hand. "You poor thing, now you really do have the Flu," she sighed as she leaned forward and carefully snuggled her cheek against Sonic's neck. Sonic wrapped his arms around Sally and hugged her, gently rubbing her back.

"No I don't. I'm telling ya I feel great," Sonic insisted. "But how about you, how are you feeling?"

"A lot better than you must be, I'd say," Sally answered. Behind her Bunnie gave another excited squeal.

"Oh, this is so great. All Ah c'n say is it's about time you two got your feelings in check," she commented.

Sally smiled meekly at the rabbit, and from the corner of her eye she could see Sonic doing the same. Bunnie crossed her arms over her chest and raised an eyebrow at the two.

"So y'all gonna tell me wha' happened th'n?"

Sally and Sonic glanced at each other, then Sally spoke up. "Well we got talking, and the more we talked the deeper we got really," she explained shortly. Sonic pushed himself into a sitting position and leaned forward on his bent knees. Sally wrapped her arm around his shoulders.

"That, plus I kept slipping up," he added with a faint grin. "Shame this couldn't have happened on more pleasant circumstances."

"Ah'm jerst glad it did happen. You two have ta be th' most stubborn Mobians, Ah swear," Bunnie exclaimed. Sonic flattened his ears, both from the loudness of Bunnie's outburst and the comment. Bunnie again covered her mouth.

"Sorry, Sugah-hog," she said quickly, looking embarrassed. Sonic waved it off.

"Nah it's cool. Just don't do that for a bit around me, 'kay? Unless you want me to end up in the hospital again," he smirked, then nudged Sally gently. "Right, Sal?"

When Sally didn't respond Sonic turned to gaze at her, surprised to find that she had drifted off, while still leaning against him. Bunnie's smile widened, if that was possible.

"Ah think Ah bettah take her home so she kin get some sleep," she suggested. "Unless y'all want her ta stay heah wit' ya."

"I dunno, I kinda don't mind this," Sonic chuckled, then stifled a yawn. Instantly an overpowering exhaustion took over his features. On instinct Bunnie crooned sympathetically for the hedgehog.

"Go on then, get back ta sleep. The doc will kill me if he saw that you weren't restin'," Bunnie offered.

Wearily Sonic nodded, then with Bunnie's help he laid down alongside Sally, drifting off to sleep almost as soon as his head hit the pillow.

Bunnie noticed just before she left the private room that both Mobians had faint smiles plastered on their lips, and couldn't help but giggle.

"It's about time," she murmured.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Completed: Friday, 3 January 2003
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sign up to rate and review this story