Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco

I Never Saw It Coming

by CurryKat 3 reviews

He was never on time. Or maybe he was a little too early. {Short story}

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-08-27 - Updated: 2007-08-28 - 1250 words - Complete

0Unrated
I sat quietly on the steps of our apartment building, it was an autumn day.
You could tell. The leaves were crisp with light color, the settings of orange and green mixing up into brown on its veins.
I sucked in some breath between my teeth, my gold and red scarf was wrapped tightly around my neck, dangling over my shoulder to try and keep in my body heat.
My big black coat with the fur trim on the hood was secured over top of my simple white sweater underneath.
My pants were probably not helping my cold problem seeing as the knees were ripped out.
I couldn't help but let my golden hazel eyes gaze patiently at the few people outside, everyone was running around giggling and talking with their loved ones.
The children made it all the more worse inside my head; they weren't corrupted by the opposite sex yet.
As long as you have 'cooties' your life will always be fine, right?
I made a hollow laugh release from my lips, I wasn't bitter at all in fact I was quiet happy.
Soon I would be able to just sip at my warm tea at the small cafe with my best friend and love of my life.
They had both promised to show up at exactly ten o'clock, I was anxious.
My feet tapped to a quiet beat that played in my head, my cell phone going off as I continued to wait patiently.
'Cause I burned every bridge I ever built' My cell phone cried out, my hand instantly pulling it up and flipping it open to press against my ear.
"Yeah?"
"Hey Brands, how are ya?"
I chuckled running a hand over my face, "I'm pretty good, just waiting around"
Silence met my ears, had she covered the phone? "Brandy do you wanna meet me around at the starbucks?"
"Can't, I need to wait Lisa, tomorrow?"
She stayed quiet for another minute, "Brandy, come on... please"
"Look I'm not going to argue about this, I need to go anyway"
I clicked off my phone before she could protest; I wasn't going to just listen to her arguments again.
A smile fell on my pale lips as I saw a small black BMW car slow down, maybe they came a little earlier.
My hopes dashed though when they continued to drive, no matter, they will arrive at ten.
My watch read nine forty five so I just tightened my red fingerless gloves on my hands, tucking them into the pockets of my coat and leaning back on the hard steps.
The railing beside me was an intricate design of metal twisted into forms of flowers and vines, the small round bubbles meant to be some type of berries.
The grass on the other side of the street was wilting in spots but still held strong as if daring the winter to come and fight it down to small stubs.
A few more cars passed by, never once stopping in front of me.
My cell had decided to try and ring me again but I only shut it off.
Whenever I looked to my watch I felt the suspense build inside of me.
Nine fifty five.
Nine fifty six.
Nine fifty seven.
I heard a car horn in the distance, my head jerking up with the bright orange strands of my hair falling down to land in my vision.
Nine fifty eight.
I got to my feet, grabbing the railing with one hand as I leaned forward to look better at the distance.
A car was slowing down, its windows tinted.
Nine fifty nine.
I grinned, my white teeth shining as I skipped a step onto the cement sidewalk.
The sun was flickering through trees to landing in the blades of grass left alone.
If only my camera was on me...
My watch made a small beeping noise as the car drove on by my body.
I stood stock still, unable to even turn my head to look at the vehicle as it left on by.
Ten.
'They were allowed to be late though', I continued thinking.
Moving away from the street I went back to my place on the steps.
'Just wait a little longer', I tried to reason with myself.
I sat patiently again feeling my heart drop as my watch continued to tick on.

In never land you'll find the clock ticking away.
You'll never know what you're late for but you'll know it's something important...
I wish I could remember what I was late for, maybe someone else will know?
My feet carried me around; everyone was in a hurry to get to their loved ones.
Loved ones... Loved ones!!!
I had forgotten the most important thing to me!
My hands pushed doors open, my watch ticking loudly in my ears.
It was laughing at me, if I didn't show up soon...
Nine fifty five.
Nine fifty six.
I squeezed around the corner, yelling at my friends that I was late and would be back soon.
Nine fifty seven.
I bit down on my lip, keeping in my heavy breathing as I came to a halt in front of my car.
My hands desperately scratched around my pockets for the keys.
Nine fifty eight.
My lips screamed out in agony as I dropped my keys, I shuffled around.
Ripping them up from the pavement and harassing them into the lock of the car, clicking it over and yanking the door towards my body at full force.
Nine fifty nine.
I sparked up the engine, speeding away from the parking lot and down the streets of my home town.
If I was late again it would break her heart, I couldn't do that again.
I promised.
Just as I saw the stop light ahead I slammed my foot down in anger, quickly realizing exactly what my foot had slammed down against.
Ten.
Metal flew out from all sides; my eyes flew open in shock as my passenger door crushed in.
I let out a loud shout before I rolled down over the pavement inside the metal ball.
How could I have done this to her?
She would give me time... but how much?

I stared sadly at the doors of the hospital building; my eyes were teared up, my hands shaking.
A woman in a white uniform, some nurse, strolled over to me and helped me walk forward.
I was in such a state of shock I couldn't even cry.
I wanted to scream out to him but my throat had lodged itself shut.
When the doors opened and I saw him laying on the cold metal.
His eyes were shut and a pale white blanket was draped over him.
I finally let the scream echo out of my mouth, my hands clasping over my mouth as my body collapsed backwards.
I continued screaming as I felt arms wrap tightly around me.
"Ma'am please, is this him?"
I screamed louder, I wanted her to leave.
She was playing some sick joke on me!
Some sick joke!!
"Ma'am... this was recovered from the crash" She held out his watch, the broken watch I had always reminded him to get fixed.
My hands shakily clasped it, still in his perfection.
The time however was wrong, it was an hour ahead.
"Ma'am... can you identify him?"
I let more tears drip down my face, my throat sore from the screams that wanted out again, "Ryan, Ryan Ross"
Sign up to rate and review this story