Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Seijin Shiki

Chapter 6

by SilverFrostSenior 0 reviews

They return home where Sakura learns her true feelings for Sasuke.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Kakashi,Sakura - Published: 2007-09-08 - Updated: 2007-09-08 - 1994 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: I would not be writing this if I owned Naruto. He along with all its characters belongs to Misashi Kishimoto-sama.

6

The warmth from the large disk of the sun brightened the land, shadows playing in the forests. The bitter bite of winter seemed to have gone but the season had yet to come to an end. The main road was silent, though every home teemed with life. Even the animals frolicked in the sun, forgetting that if only for a day that winter was still upon them. The warmth of the early morning was a premonition of sorts, one that Sakura would soon disagree with.

The Konoha gates were nearly within view, the dirt road widening as they neared civilization. Sakura smiled brilliantly, her eyes sparkling as the Daimyou’s caravan moved rhythmically down the road. The mission had been a success with no ambushes and only one minor injury, that of the small girl that had fallen from the wagon, now completely healed. She felt that this mission, aside from earning pay and protecting an important emissary, made her a more knowledgeable person.

The invisible gap that had always been between Kakashi and Sakura had lessened. She now felt as if she knew him better than any others. She felt like she had found a kindred spirit within the ever elusive, smut reading, late Copy-Ninja. The gap between teacher and student was no more. Sakura felt as if Kakashi was her best friend.

Over the week Sakura had come to learn a few vital things about Kakashi. He was similar to her in many ways. Besides having a knack for thinking quickly on their feet they both had experienced loss. They copped with that loss by serving Konoha and repaying those debts they believed unrepentant. They both shared the same views of many inconsequential affairs. Sakura had told Kakashi more about her self than she had any one before. She trusted him. For a long time, ever since she was a Genin under his tutelage, she looked up to him. Now the feeling of being on equal ground was something she wouldn’t trade for anything.

Her thoughts were interrupted when the large gates came into view, open for the general public, displaying Konoha’s pride and joy; its people. She looked around, her eyes locking on Kakashi who returned her exuberant smile. With a casual wave of his hand Sakura watched with slowly dropping eyes as Kakashi turned back towards the Daimyou. She frowned, her rosy lips locked into a pout. Perhaps finishing the mission early wasn’t the best thing. Now that they were back in Konoha they would be going their separate ways very soon. The revelation only heightened her infallible attempts of loneliness.

The caravan entered the Hidden Village as all smiled in felicity that they had arrived safe and sound. The aura of two familiar presence’s had Sakura turning, her heart missing a beat. Naruto and Sasuke stood to the side. Naruto waved enthusiastically, which Sakura returned half-heartedly. Her gaze locked with Sasuke’s dark orbs. Snippets of her conversation with Kakashi returned. If Sasuke truly loved her then he would ask her to the Seijin Shiki.

With slightly hesitant steps she drew towards the two, her eyes locked onto the ground; unable to meet the eyes of the boy she had loved for so long. She stopped, raising her eyes as she pasted on an amused smile. “Naruto, Sasuke. You guys didn’t have to come here.”

Naruto lurched forward, sweeping Sakura into a large hug. “Sakura-chan! We missed you.”

Sakura laughed, returning the embrace. “I missed you too.” As Naruto released her and stepped back she turned towards Sasuke, her heart pleading out to him. She wondered fleetingly why her heartbeat was normal. Why weren’t her hands shaking like they usually did when she was in his presence? She swallowed quickly, dispelling the uneasiness that suddenly crept upon her. “Hello, Sasuke-kun.”

Sasuke smirked. He nodded his head, his handsome features belaying his arrogance. “Sakura.”

Her heart plummeted, her breath momentarily stopping as Naruto started talking. So Sasuke didn't love her after all. She knew that it wouldn’t be easy admitting to herself that Sasuke had never loved her. But why did it hurt so much? She looked up, watching as Sasuke smirked at Naruto, his dark eyes amused. Why couldn’t love be simple? With a sad frown she realized she wasn’t as disappointed as she had first thought she would be. On the mission she had come to realize that Sasuke wasn’t the one for her. But she had hoped. Yet now that hope she had worked so hard to maintain was gone.

Her eyes widened when a hand lay on her shoulder. She knew that it was Kakashi. By the slight pressure he was gripping her shoulder with she realized that he had saw the entire ordeal. His thumb fleetingly caressed her collarbone, sending butterflies fluttering throughout her stomach. She tilted her head back, her relieved eyes looking into his onyx orb. Her mouth parted in a silent gasp when he winked at her. A pleasurable shiver wracked her body.

The blood rushed to her face, coloring her cheeks a soft pink. She vaguely realized that Naruto was greeting Kakashi as he removed his hand from her shoulder. She jerked her head up in surprise when Sasuke called her name.

“Are you going to the Seijin Shiki?” Sasuke asked, arms crossed over his broad chest.

Sakura’s heart sped up its rhythm. Was he going to ask her to attend with him after all? She nodded, her eyes shining brightly. Her momentary hope crashed as he nodded before turning to Naruto, telling him they had to leave. Tears gathered in her eyes as they turned away, waves of goodbye going unnoticed behind her watery gaze. Her throat constricted as she tried keeping the offending droplets away. A sob rose within her, which she desperately tried to push away. She didn’t want Kakashi seeing her this way.

She worried her lip between her teeth, rocking back on her heels as she closed her eyes. So nothing had changed between them since they had been Genin. Perhaps she was destined to chase after men who would never return her feelings. She shook the absurd notion from her mind.

She turned her head up with a gasp when she felt a gloved hand pulling her lip from her teeth. Kakashi stood in front of her, his eye softened, all knowing to her plight. His callused thumb brushed across her wet bottom lip, soothing the abused appendage. He moved his hand from her mouth, caressing her cheek before tucking a lock of stray hair behind her delicately shaped ear. His close proximity had Sakura leaning forward instinctively, wanting more of the tender contact.

She was disappointed when he pulled his hand back, placing it into his pants pocket. He smiled. “Don’t worry.” With a cloud of smoke he disappeared, his presence still lingering in the air even as he was gone. Sakura blushed, bringing her hand up to trace her lips, reliving the feel of his fingers upon her. With a new bounce in her step she started off for the Hokage’s office.

In a short time she was inside the large building, making her way towards Tsunade-sama’s office. With a soft knock she was bid to enter. She walked in, noticing at once the joyous and devious smile on her mentor’s face. A thin brow rose as she walked forward. “What are you smiling about?”

Tsunade stood, coming around her desk to stand in front of her apprentice. “Shizune! Come on in.” She placed her hands on Sakura’s shoulders, turning the curious woman around.

Sakura gasped, a slender hand covering her mouth. Shizune held a furisode, its silken length flowing enchantingly. Its dark red and silver patterns shimmered as the sunlight reflected from it. The furisode was the most beautiful thing Sakura had ever seen. Its long bell shaped sleeves moved as though possessed. The overall appearance was like that of frost upon an early blossoming flower.

Tsunade’s smile softened as she watched to look of astonishment and apprehension upon Sakura’s face. “It was once my furisode. It is now yours.”

Sakura shook her head, breaking from the spell that had seemed to come over her from the sight of the dress. She turned, her brows furrowing. “I cannot accept.”

Tsunade waved a red nailed hand. “Nonsense. I’m giving it to you. I’m too old for such things now. It was once my great grandmothers. She wore it to her Seijin Shiki and it has been passed down through the generations. I never had a daughter so I thought it fitting that you have it.”

Sakura looked back at the furisode. How could she not take such a beautiful gift? Simple, she would only make it less beautiful with her wearing it. With another shake of her head she lowered her eyes to the floor. “I’m sorry, but I can’t accept it.”

Tsunade sighed, releasing her frustration. An idea appeared to her then, a large smirk spreading its way across her features. With a nod she dismissed Shizune. “You’ll change your mind, eventually.”

Sakura arched a brow, wondering what her shishou could be up to this time. With her own sigh of frustration Sakura turned and relayed the events of the mission. Once she was done she turned to leave she grimaced as Tsunade laughed, promising Sakura that she would wear to furisode to the Seijin Shiki.

After shutting the door softly behind her she turned, eyes widening as she was met with a green vest. She looked up to see Kakashi. She clenched her hands behind her back, smiling shakily. “I didn’t think I would see you so soon, Kakashi.” She blushed as his eye scrutinized her as she remembered their last encounter.

Kakashi’s deep voice sent warmth throughout her body. “Why didn’t you accept the furisode?”

Her eyes widened as she shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. “Were you listening the whole time?”

Kakashi nodded. His eye traveled across her down turned face to rest on her slightly parted lips. “Why didn’t you take it?”

Sakura turned her face to the side, her eyes downcast. Why couldn’t he understand? His sincerity cut through her barrier. “I don’t deserve such a beautiful kimono.” With a strangled gasp she felt Kakashi’s hand on her cheek. The warm appendage against her face sent warmth spreading through her body.

Kakashi locked her eye with hers, searching, probing for answers. He pressed his palm more firmly against her soft skin. He moved his thumb, caressing her skin, the thin hairs smoothing at his tender touch. “Is it because you don’t think you are beautiful enough for it?”

Sakura averted her eyes. He had hit the nail right on the head. She turned her face back up with a blush coloring her cheeks when his thumb caressed her lips.

His voice was low, caressing her body with an internal flame. “You are more beautiful than every silk thread on that furisode.”

Stunned eyes barely registered as Kakashi passed her, his hand softly passing over her shoulder. With shaky legs she looked back at the door. She brought a hand up, pressing it against her flushed cheek. A smile graced her rosy lips as she turned to leave, the thudding of her heart the only sound she registered in her hazed mind.

0o0

I do believe this is my longest chapter yet. I’m very satisfied with how this one turned out. For a while there I was wondering if I should wait a few more days to write this, but I didn’t want to disappoint my readers. Well…hm…that’s it I suppose.
Sign up to rate and review this story