Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Seijin Shiki

Chapter 7

by SilverFrostSenior 0 reviews

A surprise visit leads to some emotional confusion.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Kakashi,Sakura - Published: 2007-09-08 - Updated: 2007-09-08 - 2834 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: All rights and privileges of the manga/anime Naruto belong to Misashi Kishimoto-sama.

Seijin Shiki

7

The smell of obnoxious disinfectant permeated the air. Faintly humming was the sound of the various nurses tending to their patients in the Konoha hospital. A clock upon the white washed walls ticked constantly, the sound mesmerizing in an irksome way. Thin wisps of steam rose from a coffee mug as Sakura sipped contentedly at the rich substance. Vanilla and ground beans mixing to make a tantalizing aroma that drifted throughout the small conference room. The heterocyclic compound also known as caffeine kept the kunoichi awake, though she would have preferred a cup of herbal tea.

She uncrossed her exposed legs before repeating the process, her delicate ankles swaying with unheard music. Today had not been going the way she had hoped. She had been kept up most of the night by her insistent thoughts, leaving her unsettled. Kakashi was a dilemma that she had believed she had found the answers to. But just when she thought she understood him he went and did something completely different from his usual actions. His tender and sincere words from the previous day had struck something within her that she had thought long buried away, hope.

She had tried reasoning that Kakashi was only acting as a true gentleman would. But for all his subtleties something was different about the way he acted around her. His endearing words and tender caresses left her feeling weak but utterly protected and cherished. Sakura sighed as her thoughts continued to run unhindered throughout her muddled mind. Her thoughts were causing her to make minor mistakes during her shift. And Sakura prided herself on being the best so when she made such a rookie error she was ashamed.

Already today she had mindlessly swapped two of her patient’s charts and forgot to write down their symptoms for further analysis and drug administration. She had been scatterbrained; a trait she found uncalled for. How could one simple man such as Kakashi throw her life into such turmoil? But Kakashi wasn’t a simple man by any standards. He was uniquely himself.

As she took another sip of her aromatic coffee a nurse rushed into the room. “Dr. Haruno, a squad of ANBU just returned from a mission. We need your help right away.”

Sakura nodded, standing up before she smoothed the white pleats of her medic uniform. “I’m coming.” With hurried steps she walked behind the nurse, pushing all thoughts of Kakashi from her mind as she slipped into professionalism. But extinguishing Kakashi from her mind was no simple feat.

0o0

The moonless night shrouded the city in darkness, the only light source coming from the lamps throughout the streets. With her chakra reserves nearly depleted Sakura walked home, wondering why she was so tired. Even after a stressful day at work she didn’t feel this lousy. But she knew the answer to her tiredness, Kakashi. He wouldn’t stay out of her mind the entire day. She was beginning to belief she had a problem.

The familiar sight of her apartment complex brought a sigh of relief from the tired medic-nin. Perhaps after exhausting her mind and body during the day she might be able to get good nights sleep. After walking up the two flights of steps she inserted her key into the first door on the right. She was immediately bombarded by the heady essence of Kakashi’s unmistakable scent of pine and weapon grease, a dangerous combination.

She shrugged out of her light medic jacket before placing it in the coat closet. After stepping out of her black heels with a sigh of relief she walked through her home, following Kakashi’s scent. The fleetingly noticed the door to her bedroom was slightly ajar. She entered before her eyes were immediately drawn to the silk draped across her bed. She covered her mouth with a shaking hand, her eyes widening as she looked upon the furisode. It was spread upon her green and silver covers as though wantonly like an exotic seductress. Upon the furisode was a yellow piece of parchment folded in half.

She walked the few steps to her bed, scooping up the letter in trembling hands.

Sakura,

I took the liberty of bringing your furisode to your house since you seemed busy today. I hope you didn’t mind me entering your home without your permission. Whether you choose to wear it, you will be beautiful anyway. I’m positive that you will be the most beautiful woman at the Seijin Shiki no matter what you wear.

Kakashi

Her knees shook before she collapsed on her bed, staring amazed at the letter within her shaking hand. With a deep breath she flopped back, bringing a hand up to cover her damp brow. Why was he being like this? This wasn’t the Kakashi she had once known as a Genin or perhaps she had been too blind chasing after Sasuke to see his true self. Whatever the reason she knew that she wouldn’t be getting the rest she was so looking forward to that night.

With a frustrated groan she stood. A few minutes later she came out of the bathroom dressed in her nightclothes. She paused momentarily as she looked upon the furisode before gently picking it up. After hanging it within the dark confines of her closet she slipped under her covers. With a contended smile upon her face she soon drifted off to sleep, thoughts of Kakashi turning into dreams.

0o0

Two days passed swiftly in which Sakura still hadn’t figured out the dilemma of Kakashi. Deep in her heart she knew there was more to her relationship with Kakashi than mere former teacher and student, but she wasn’t ready to analyze those feelings. Whenever his name came up her heartbeat would accelerate and her stomach would twist into knots. She had yet to delve deeper within herself to find the answers to her unusual feelings and thoughts.

The streets were beginning to fill as Sakura walked towards the hospital. Her heels clicked faintly on the paved walk as she passed others going to work. She felt a premonition that today wasn’t going to be like her usual shift. Her thoughts were confirmed when she entered the large doors to the Konoha hospital. A familiar messenger stood by the front desk, arms crossed as he looked around the nearly deserted hallways. When his eyes alighted upon Sakura he sprung up, jogging over towards her.

“Hokage-sama wishes to see you, Dr. Haruno.”

Sakura smiled. “Call me Sakura.”

The young messenger stammered, his face flushing a dark red. “Have a good day, Sakura-san.”

She giggled as she watched him walk away, back stiff as he tried to will his embarrassment away. After making a quick detour to her office to drop off her white medical bag she left the building, walking briskly towards the Hokage Tower. When she arrived in Tsunade-sama’s office the Hokage’s devious features alerted Sakura to her scheming.

“You wished to see me, Tsunade-shishou?”

Tsunade nodded, leaning back in her black chair comfortably. “You’ve been working too hard, Sakura. That’s why I’m giving you the rest of the week off. You’ll report back to your regular duties next Tuesday. That should give you ample enough time to get back to your normal self after the Seijin Shiki.” She threaded her fingers together, covering her smug smile.

Sakura raised a slender brow. “My normal self? I can start back working after the Seijin Shiki. There’s no need to give me extra days off. You said so yourself that you can’t afford to let me take an extended leave.”

Tsunade scowled. “Don’t give me that nonsense. You’ll need some time to adjust to the activities of the Seijin Shiki.” She waved a manicured hand in the air. “Besides, there’s others to fill in for you. Have some fun for once in your life instead of wasting away inside that confining hospital. Consider this as a mission.”

Sakura sighed. She knew there would be no way to get past Tsunade. “Very well, Tsunade-sama.” With reluctant steps she left the office, slowly making her way down the steps from the Hokage Tower. Now what was she supposed to do? She didn’t have much of a social life, that had been banished once she had chosen to become a medic-nin. Ino was away on a mission and wouldn’t be back for another couple of days and Hinata was training. Sasuke and Naruto were gone also. At the thought of his name Sakura sighed. Why had she spent all of her childhood chasing after someone who would and could never love her back?

Her steps soon led her back to the hospital where she retrieved her medical bag before leaving. The streets were even more crowded now making Sakura lose her line of thoughts. Within a few minutes she entered her apartment building. The silence of her home did nothing to dispel her boredom now that she had nothing to occupy herself with. Perhaps she could find something outside to do. With her new plan of action in mind she hurriedly changed her medic clothes for her Jounin pants and tight fitting shirt.

As she closed the apartment building door behind her she froze, feeling a familiar presence nearby. She turned her head to see Kakashi. He was leaning against her building, reading his questionable orange novel. He lowered the book with a smile as she walked down the few steps to the sidewalk. He slipped his book into his back pocket before walking towards her, his steps measured and almost predatorily.

“Good morning, Sakura.”

Sakura stammered, a blush rising to her cheeks. “Good morning, Kakashi.”

Kakashi’s eye roamed down her attire before leisurely resting back on her face. He smirked beneath his mask as he watched her blush flare brighter. “Why aren’t you at the hospital?”

She mentally scolded herself for acting childishly. Why was she blushing? “Tsunade-shishou gave me time off until next Tuesday.” She averted her eyes to the side as their last encounter surfaced to her mind.

Kakashi nodded, rubbing his chin with his hand. “Aa. Then how about we train?”

Sakura whipped her gaze back to Kakashi. When her eyes locked with his her knees weakened. She tried to ignore the feeling but to no avail. Maybe this was her chance to figure out Kakashi’s unusual behavior. Her face brightened with a large smile. “I would love to.”

He smiled, stepping from the sidewalk onto the street. Sakura fell in step beside him. They continued in a comfortable silence as Sakura stole quick glances at the man next to her. As they neared their old training grounds Sakura remembered the furisode and the note Kakashi had left two days past. She turned her head towards him, her jade eyes sparkling with curiosity. “Why did you bring that furisode to my apartment?”

Kakashi smiled. He had known she would have asked. He shrugged, his mischievous eye resting casually upon her. “I already told you in the note. You’ll be beautiful.”

Sakura blushed. She turned her head to the side, trying to hide the rose color upon her cheeks. It only darkened when Kakashi chuckled, the sound deep, caressing her skin with invisible hands. As they entered the training ground Sakura regained her composure, turning to face Kakashi as he stopped a few feet away from her.

He turned, a devious smile hidden beneath his black mask. “Do you believe you can defeat me after all these years?”

Sakura smirked, sliding her gloves on her slim fingers. “Of course. An old man isn’t much of a challenge.” With a wink she disappeared, the only sign of her presence was the small cherry blossoms floating where she had stood.

Kakashi kept his hands in his pockets as he looked around with mild interest. So she wanted to play games, did she? He smirked as a small flicker of her chakra made itself known to him. In the blink of an eye he reappeared behind her, a kunai held to her smooth throat. “I win.”

Sakura laughed, tilting her head to the side as her eyes shimmered. “I don’t think so.” Another pile of cherry blossoms took her place.

Kakashi ducked, a sandaled foot passing over his head. He twisted his arm back, grabbing her calf with his gloved hand. His eye snapped back to her face where a rosy blush greeted his sight. Unable to resist his eye traveled over her slim waist. Next, her ample bosom. Her shirt had ridden up slightly, reveling the tight skin beneath. His eye skimmed over her thighs until it rested on the appendage caught within his hand. After realizing what he was doing he averted his eye to the side.

Sakura pulled her foot out of his grasp, the warmth from his hand still lingering. She disappeared once again hiding behind a line of bushes as Kakashi materialized back into the center of the field. She watched him, admiring the way the sun played on his hair, highlighting the sleek muscles beneath his baggy clothing. As she studied him closer she covered her mouth as a gasp escaped. It was a clone in the field. The sudden blast of chakra from behind left her frozen.

She was tackled, rolling out into the open. Weight was pressed down upon her back. She turned her head to the side to see Kakashi sitting on her, his eye crinkling in a smile. With an indignant huff Sakura began to wiggle, trying to free herself from his grasp.

Kakashi stiffened, suppressing the groan that rose within his throat. He leaned forward, his chest pressing into her back as his lips hovered above her ear. “I won.”

Sakura smirked. In an instant she channeled chakra to her arms before reaching behind her and grabbing Kakashi’s wrists. She flipped him over, a smirk playing across her features as she straddled his waist. She watched as his widened eyes looked up at her in surprise. She immediately realized her mistake as she succumbed to sleep. The last thing she saw before falling forward was the tomoe's within his eye spinning lazily.

0o0

The smells of the forest assaulted Sakura’s senses as she squinted her eyes against the glare of the sun. A shadow provided some relief as she looked up to see Kakashi standing above her, his eyes crinkling into his customary smile. “You almost won.”

Sakura grimaced as she sat up, taking the flask of water that Kakashi offered her. After taking a few gulps of the refreshing liquid she handed it back to him. Images from their spar surfaced to her mind. She blushed, turning her head to the side, her bangs shielding her heated face.

Kakashi smiled softly. After a momentary silence he spoke, his voice soft. “Have you found someone to go to the Seijin Shiki with?”

Sakura turned her head back up towards him. “No.” Her brow furrowed. “Why do I need to go with someone anyway?”

Kakashi chuckled as he straightened, offering a hand to Sakura. He hoisted her to her feet. “Who you go with, metaphorically speaking, symbols the bridge between your child and adulthood. The person you go with is someone important to you. Someone you wouldn’t mind sharing, how should I say, adult pleasures with.”

Sakura coughed, hiding her embarrassment at such a question. She turned her head down; her lips pulled down into a frown as her mind replayed the last meeting with Sasuke. “I don’t have anyone like that. The only one I ever cared like that for was Sasuke.”

Kakashi’s brow rose. “You said was…”

Sakura nodded, hiding her saddened expression behind her bangs. “I don’t like Sasuke that way anymore. I only see him as a brother.”

Kakashi stepped forward, his hand coming up to brush her pastel locks back from her face. “You’re finally seeing the truth.” On an impulse he leaned down, his lips brushing lightly across her cheek. With a whirl of leaves he left.

Sakura slowly brought a hand up to her cheek. The warmth from his lips still lingered, the warmth spreading throughout her body. A smile blossomed on her face like a rose opening its petals. With a renewed energy in her steps she left the training ground, the happiest she had been in a while.

0o0

I did this chapter all in one sitting. I don’t think I’ve ever done that before. I wanted to get this chapter up sooner than I usually do because I received such wonderful reviews from people who love my story and wanted more. I’m sad to say that there will only be two more chapters to go.
Sign up to rate and review this story