Categories > Games > Sonic the Hedgehog > Fall of a Hero

Final Hour

by Tantrum 2 reviews

As we come to the end, we will all wonder. What could we have done, to change the outcome?

Category: Sonic the Hedgehog - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Amy Rose, Dr. Robotnik, Knuckles, Miles "Tails" Prower, Rouge, Shadow - Warnings: [!!!] [?] [V] - Published: 2006-01-01 - Updated: 2006-01-01 - 1390 words

1Predictable
---------------

Rouge had finished reading, a tragedy you would find only in the movies... of a scientist forced to make weapons, and a little girl caught in the mix of it all. When the girl died, the scientist made a weapon, one that the world would never forget, and never live to remember.

"We have to stop the colony somehow..." Knuckles said. "It's not fair to the planet that it must be punished for the actions of a few..."

Amy gave a nod. "I know that people can be cruel sometimes, but they can be good too, they are capable of both."

Tails had always been an optimist, always seeing the good even in difficult times. He probably got that from Sonic. Now that the companion was gone though, all that naïve childlike hope had faded, and exploded in an irruption of flame. He sighed. "They all see what they want to see... hear what they want to hear... and they make judgment upon those that are different then what they want to see and hear. Many have judged me for my tails... Sonic never did... maybe this is the right thing. What good is there in the world anymore?"

Everyone started at the young fox... almost aghast that such cold words have come out of his mouth. It was almost as if Sonic had died again, a shocked impossibility ran up the spine off all in the room, even Eggman.

Rouge looked at the fox wide eyed. "Do you realize what you have said?"

"The truth..." A voice came from behind the group causing them all to gaze in its direction. A black hedgehog stood there with a smug look on his face, standing at the doorway to the bridge. "There is nothing worth saving anymore... and it's pathetic that you even continue trying..."

Everyone was silent as the dark hedgehog made his way into the room. All previous panic over the station's descent upon the planet was momentarily forgotten. The form passed by the group and made his way to the window and looked upon the ever growing planet. "Only when they see the end, do they realize their mistakes... only when it is too late to change them."

Amy glared at the statement and shook her head. "It isn't too late yet! There has to be a way to stop it!" She looked over toward Eggman, who seemed to be staring off into space. "There is a way right?"

Snapping out of his trance like state, the doctor was quick to answer the hedgehog's question. "Of course, however, I cannot do it alone. First two of us would need to open the way into the core by activating the two security room consoles simultaneously. Next, we'd need someone to enter into the core and cause it to overflow which would open up cause the emergency hatch to the central engineering room to open. That is probably where the emeralds have gone."

Knuckles looked to Rouge. "We can handle the core, since we're the better swimmers here..."

The bat sighed... "And I just put on my makeup too..."

"How could you put makeup on at a time like this!?" The echidna shouted.

With a shrug the thief crossed her arms over her chest. "A woman needs her priorities straight..."

Eggman ignores the banter and looks over to Tails. "Since you are good with tech, you should help me deactivate the counsels."

The fox was hesitant... "Why should I trust you... you killed my friend!"

There was a pause in the room. Eggman looked down, almost in shame. Knuckles stopped bickering with Rouge and was about to try and get Tails to listen to reason... that if he didn't help they would all perish, and that wouldn't be anything that Sonic would want.

He never got the chance, as Shadow decided this would be the perfect opportunity to seal off any of the hope gathered by this plan. "Humans can't be trusted, they only mean to destroy things. Any creature that they see as being good they destroy, and then they move on without even batting an eye. The doctor just wants you to save his pathetic race... did he show the same mercy to your friend?" The cold voice pierced all that were in the room.

It was obvious that Tails was the one deeply impacted though, it was the truth... Eggman didn't spare his best friend. Why should he spare those that the doctor wanted to protect? "You killed Sonic! You took away everything from me... it's your turn to feel helpless Eggman!"

Amy moved to put a hand on the fox's shoulder, but the young one turned away. She choked up as she wasn't used to seeing the vulpine this way... and she knew exactly who to blame.

The source of all this confusion continued. "You see... there is no reason to stop this... not that there was any hope to begin-"

"Shut up!!" Came a shrill female cry, causing everyone in the room to jump. The pink hedgehog pulled out her signature weapon, and raised it high above her head. She began to come down on Shadow with the hammer, but as it struck the target, it simply vanished. "W-What?"

"Hmm... you obviously cared for the faker as well... and it seems that since he is gone, the inner energies that make your weapon more powerful have feigned." The attacked smiled smugly, before lashing out at the aggressor with a quick kick, causing her to get thrown backward.

Knuckles was quick to return the aggression as he saw the dark hedgehog become aggressive. However, as his fist zoomed in for its target, it did not move. As the hand made impact on Shadow's face, there was hardly a stumble by the ultimate lifeform. "You too have become weakened... the faker was who drove you to punch harder, and become stronger... he gave you a challenge like no other... now that it's gone, I can hardly feel your punches."

Seeing that the echidna was in trouble, Rouge instantly tried to catch the aggressive hedgehog off guard with a spiral kick. He was not unprepared though as he caught the bat's legs as they zoomed in toward him and stopped her in mid-attack. "You know that you can't stop me... you have read my files... I am the ultimate lifeform, and I will have my vengeance!" He growled out as he swung himself around, swinging the bat with him. The thief hit the echidna hard as she was swung into him. Both of the creatures were down for the count, leaving only Tails, Eggman and Shadow standing in the room.

Eggman looked to the kit who just looked toward the wall, seemingly lost in thought. "Tails... Hey! I could use your help here! I'm sorry about Sonic... I am truly... but this is something we all don't want... the end is not the solution."

Tails looked over to the doctor. "You created this mess... Sonic could have stopped this! Without him there is no hope..."

The scientist frowned, he had grown impatient with the fox and started to bark at him. "How can you be so sure one person could have changed it all?! We all failed, would it be any different if Sonic were here? The answer is, it doesn't matter now! He's gone, you have to move on with that fact! There is only the here and now! Deal with the cards you were dealt..."

The fox couldn't take being yelled at by the one who had taken his friend's life, and he walked to the exit the room. "You dealt this hand! You deal with it... You take responsibility for what you have done!"

Now with only Shadow and Eggman left, the black hedgehog turned back toward the planet. The room began to shake as the atmosphere began to try and stop the massive space station from entering, but nothing could stop it now. The scientist couldn't help but wonder if Sonic could have made the difference... He had seen the hedgehog come out of so many close calls. Maybe Tails was right... he had made the mistake. The only hope for the planet was now gone, and it looked like they would all be joining with the hero soon, on the other side.

------
Sign up to rate and review this story