Categories > Games > Sonic the Hedgehog > Fall of a Hero

Fate of Cruelty

by Tantrum 0 reviews

With Sonic out of the picture, and the world in the balance. How with this alternative outcome play out?

Category: Sonic the Hedgehog - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Amy Rose, Dr. Robotnik, Knuckles, Miles "Tails" Prower, Rouge, Shadow - Warnings: [!!!] [?] [V] - Published: 2006-01-01 - Updated: 2006-01-01 - 1282 words

0Unrated
-----------------

The bridge shook, the metal screeched, both technically advanced pilots pushed their machines to the limit as they fought with everything they had. The pink hedgehog could only watch, still numb over the sudden loss of the one she had loved so deeply. With one final blast the Cyclone caused Eggman's mech to crash into a nearby mainframe, the area filled with smoke as the red walker erupted into flames.

"Sonic... I did it..." The young fox said as he gasped for breath. As the smoke cleared though, it was evident that this wasn't the case. There was no trace of the battle walker left; it was as if it had vanished.

"Tails! Behind you!" Amy's voice cried out. She was a little too late however, as Eggman snatched the Chaos Emerald from behind the kit, and then sent a metal leg to trip the Cyclone, causing it off to fall flat on it's front.

With a laugh the scientist quickly made his escape with the final emerald needed to power the great cannon. "I'm disappointed, you were so easily fooled." Were the doctor's final words as he made his escape.

There was a silent pause before Amy decided to react, she moved up to the downed Cyclone and looked into the cockpit. "Tails! Are you alright?"

The fox looked up, disappointment spread upon his face. He had tried to stop Eggman, but failed. It felt as if he had let Sonic down... "Ya, I'm fine Amy." He lied.

*

It was only a matter of time now, soon the world would be all his for the taking, and no one could stop him. He made sure of that this time. As the last Chaos Emerald was put into place, the doctor could easily taste the sweet victory at hand. However, as soon as the final one fell into place there was a sudden jolt, and warning lights flashed red all about.

"What? What is the meaning of this?" The doctor asked, frustrated at the sudden deviation from his plan.

His question was answered as all the monitors in the room changed their display images. The smaller ones with digital clocks, ticking in a countdown fashion. The larger displayed an image of a grey mustached scientist, with hands behind his back, in front of a wall covered with sporadic writing, written in the language of mathematics.

"Grandfather?" Eggman couldn't believe it...

As if that word had set the contraption in motion, the devise with all the Chaos Emeralds was suddenly swallowed up by the floor, leaving the doctor alone in the room... it seemed like his journal was right, but he thought destruction meant that he could just control the cannon... it looked like he had been fooled.

In the corner of the room, a dark hedgehog watched Eggman leave the room. It is only a matter of time now, Maria... you shall have your vengeance.

The room darkened, the only thing lighting the room were the computer displays, which all started to play some sort of message, recorded by the late Gerald Robotnik before his execution./ "This is a message to the people of Earth..."/

*

Knuckles was at the bridge by the time the lights started to flash, he witnessed what everyone on Earth, and on the colony had witnessed. The message that the colony was going to crash into the planet still chilled him to his very core. However, the next bit of news would have an even greater impact.

"Where's Sonic?" He asked as the message started to loop for the second time. It was very unlike the echidna's rival to not be around when something as big as this was going down.

The silence spoke louder then any words... Tails looked to Amy, and she glanced back.

"Knuckles..." The pink hedgehog finally choked... "H-He's gone..."

Shock was probably a word for it, disbelieve was another. Never did he think that he would hear those words when it came to his fighting rival. He seemed so unbreakable, no matter how many chips he was down, Sonic always pulled through. After the wave of doubt flew by though, the echidna gave a sober nod, even the mightiest heros are mortal... and it was only a matter of time.

"Hmm... I'm sure he left with no regrets." Knuckles crossed his arms over his chest, fighting back the pain he felt, breaking apart would not help matters at this point... not with the planet in imminent peril.

Tails was not fooled by the front. "Don't you feel anything! You've known him for a long time, and all you can say is 'Hmmm?'." The fox's tone being angry and spiteful, traits that were unlike him. Given that he had lost his best friend though, it was hard not to understand why.

Knuckles sighed. "Listen Tails... I know you're upset, you and I just deal with the loss in our own ways. Neither is right nor wrong... but we have little time to mourn right now. The space colony is closing in on the Earth fast, and if there is no way we can stop it, then Sonic's passing will be the least of our worries."

As the echidna finished speaking, the door opened and two forms walked into the room, a large rotund doctor, and a well-figured bat.

"What are you two doing here?" The guardian spat.

Rouge had a concerned look on her face. "I just got word from my boss, this is all true, the colony is going to slam into the Earth..."

Eggman seemed to be losing it as he chuckled, causing Knuckles and Tails to glare at him with disgust.

"Did you have something to do with this?" The young fox asked with a glare.

"Oh no, no, no... you see, there is a difference between conquering a planet, and utterly destroying it." The round doctor laughed as he pulled a book out of his pocket, one labeled with the name 'Gerald'. "My grandfather has always been an idle to me... but I never would have imagined him fooling me at my own game for power... that mad scientist...Go ahead and read it for yourselves and it will all be clear."
Rouge grabbed the journal and began to read page after page aloud...

*

Shadow could see them, conversing amongst each other on one security screen uneffected by Gerald's program... how foolish they were, did they think they could actually stop this? It was actually quite fun to watch them toil over their predicament, but there was no way they could stop it, especially since that faker was out of the picture.

"Shadow..." a voice filled the otherwise empty room, the voice being of the one girl that had shown him the kindness of the human creature. Her kindness being taken by the cruelty of that same creature. All the other humans were vial, and were only jealous that Maria had what they never could have. A heart...

Why do they fight for them all? Can't they see the disgusting race those humans are? They are not worth the effort to save, for they are the ones that destroy themselves. Why try and stop the final act that has plagued them for all their existence?

/"Shadow..." another voice this time, the one of Gerald Robotnik... his creator. The one who gave him his mission, to finish what those wretched creatures had started themselves. The voice continued "...they fail to see the cruelty, they want to save that which shouldn't be saved, you must show them that cruelty, make them submit to the fate those wretched humans have made for them all..."/

The black hedgehog knew what he had to do...

-----
Sign up to rate and review this story