Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius > Traveling Far From Our Lives

The Barn

by rachh15 2 reviews

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: G - Genres: Humor,Romance - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-09-23 - Updated: 2007-09-23 - 1250 words

0Unrated


[Delilah's POV]

I was getting tired of walking. It was getting darker by the minute, and I saw no lights in sight. If this was really 1834, I guess there wouldn't be electricity yet. Julius liked history, but I tuned out all those lectures and note-taking. I just hoped a hotel was near. Were there hotels back then? I wasn't sure, but I was desperate to rest. Walking along the road I saw buildings, about half a mile ahead. I shrieked with happiness and sprinted as fast as I could to town. I walked past a general store, and some houses, trying to find a hotel. There wasn't one. I groaned loudly and went on my knees.

As I looked up at the stars, I saw a barn in the distance. I could sneak in and sleep there for the night, figure out what I was going to do. I crept into the barnyard, past the shanty, and slowly opened the door. It creaked loudly, and I cursed to myself. I closed it fast, and looked around. There was a loft with hay in it, so I could be warm, plus there was a lantern. I grabbed it and squinted my eyes for a match. I found one near the door, and lighted the lantern. Light opened up this room, and I smiled to myself. Now, I thought, all I have to do is hide and get some rest. I located the ladder, and climbed up it.

It was rotten, so I scurried up it as fast as I could. I set the lantern beside me and I covered myself with hay. I shivered as the cold air blew through the cracks of the barn. I wished I could go home, or at least have Julius with me. He probably didn't have a clue what had happened to me. He's too busy flirting with his new girlfriend to care, I thought. I scowled in the dark thinking of them together. It was depressing. I guess we would always be friends. I closed my eyes and fell into a light sleep.

[Julius's POV]

Still carrying Janelle, I walked over to a huge rock, and set her down gently on it. I was so tired, and needed to rest. She was sleeping and it would be rude to wake her up. I was still mad that she called Delilah a bitch, but I have never understood girls. I hoped that Delilah would stop and rest in town, so we could catch up with her. I stood up a few minutes later and shook Janelle slowly. She mumbled and rubbed her eyes.

"What?" She asked.

"We need to keep walking."

"But we've been walking all day." She whined.

"I've been walking all day, you were my backpack. So get up, we are almost there."

"Fine."

We started again down the road talking to pass the time.

"So, how old are you?" She asked me.

"17."

"Cool. I am 16. So how come I had to come back in time with you?"

"Just in case you were working for Dr. Dismay." I said casually.

She glanced sideways at me, "isn't that the guy who is a scientist?"

"Yeah. An evil mad scientist."

"Really? His book is so inspiring."

I laughed, "he has a book?"

"Yeah, its all about community projects."

I scoffed, "Dr. Dismay is pure evil, why would he write a book. Are you confusing him with someone else?"

"No. I don't believe so. I brought the book with me."

"Can I see it?"

Janelle handed to me, and I looked at the picture of the author, and surprisingly enough it was him. His book was called "The community and you: What you can do to help our world to be a better place." I started laughing so hard, that I bent down to contain my breath. Janelle raised her eyebrows.

"I...take it that this is a surprise?"

"Yeah, he's the one that always wants to take over the world. Plus to kill me and Delilah. Where did you buy this?"

"Wal-mart. You can buy everything there."

I grinned as we continued walking.

"Look there's houses up ahead!" Janelle yelled. I smiled at her, and she grabbed my hand and started running towards the houses.

"Thank-you, now we can eat." She said happily.

I frowned, "do we have money?"

"Yeah, I have fifteen dollars, you?"

I checked my pockets. But then I remembered Scarlett telling me that there was money tucked in with the map. "Yeah I have thirty."

"If Delilah was here, where would she be?" Janelle asked.

"I haven't a clue. She wouldn't have money, so I guess she is sleeping outside or something."

We continued walking and came across a barn.

"Maybe she's in there?" Janelle said, while pointing.

"Let's go check it out."

We carefully walked to the barn door, and opened it slowly. It creaked loudly, and I closed it behind us. It was really dark inside, and hopefully Delilah was here.

[Delilah's POV]

I awoke with a start. I had heard the creaking door open and close, and I hoped it was just the wind. I listened carefully, and I heard mumbling. Then I heard a crash, and curse words. I crawled over my bed of hay and peered through a crack in the loft. I noticed beside me, was the lantern still lit. I blew it out, so no one would know I was here.

"Are you okay?" A voice whispered.

The other voice was faint. "I think so. What was that?"

I heard giggles. That was definitely a girl.

"That's not funny Janelle." The other voice hissed.

"Yes it was. Seriously Julius, you like flew into that door."

JULIUS? He's here. I gasped, then frowned. Why was this Janelle girl with him? Did he want another partner. If he's here, then there must be a way to get home. I smiled proudly. I don't need him, I can do it myself. All I have to do is wait till they leave. The thing is though, I am impatient, so I went to plan B. Sneak out. I looked around, my eyes still adjusting to the dark. I saw a beam about two feet away from me. I wrapped my legs around it, and slowly went down the beam, as if a pole. It was rough, and I knew I was going to get splinters. I gently hit the ground, and stood up, brushing myself off gently.

I felt my nose tingle. Crap! I silently screamed in my head. I knew this feeling. I was going to sneeze. I needed to get out of here, before they heard me. I started to open the door, when I started a sneezing fit.

"ACHOOOO!" I shrieked.

[Julius's POV]

"ACHOOOO!" Delilah sneezed. She was the only girl I knew, who sneezed that loudly.

"Delilah?" I called, following the noise.

"Found her!" Janelle said.

"Let go of me." Delilah said.

"No. Not unless Julius says so."

"Oh riiiight. Julius is the boss." Delilah said sarcastically.

"Where are you Janelle?"

"By the barn door."

As I walked near the door, I heard fighting.

"What's going on?" I asked.

I heard footsteps running away. I heard Janelle yelp in pain.

"Are you okay? Where's Delilah?"

"She elbowed me." Janelle scowled, "what a nice girl."

"Come on, we have to follow her."

"I am not going after her. The cow hurt me."

"Come on!" I grabbed her wrist and we sprinted out of the barn.
Sign up to rate and review this story