Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius > Traveling Far From Our Lives

1834

by rachh15 3 reviews

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-09-22 - Updated: 2007-09-22 - 1168 words

0Original
[Delilah's POV]

I awoke coughing, and I was face down in dirt. I groaned as I sat up and brushed myself off. Where was I? As my vision cleared I gasped by what I saw. I saw nothing. There was only a dirt road and grass. That was it. Did Dr. Dismay knock me out, and drive me to the middle of nowhere? I reached for my cell phone, but it was gone. I reached in my pocket for some gum, but my pockets were gone. I looked down at myself and screamed. I wasn't wearing my clothes, I was wearing some type of hoop skirt and a peasant blouse.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I mumbled. Even the sleeves on my blouse were puffy. I looked like a pioneer. I had no idea what Dr. Dismay was up too, besides deflating my dignity. This didn't look like Halifax to me, it looked way to plain for that. I held my breath as I walked the down the road, and prayed that no one saw me like this.

As I was walking down the road, I heard hooves. As two horses attached to a buggy rounded the corner, they braked as they saw me staring back at them. They buggy opened and a young couple peered out at me.

"Are you lost girl?" The man said.

"Yes, where are we?" I asked.

"You are not from here?" The woman asked.

"I am not sure." I answered truthfully.

"Well ya'll don't talk like your from 'ere" The man said. "We are in good ol' Ireland."

I frowned, "Ireland. How can that be? He would have to have a super fast jet to transport me here."

The couple looked at each other questioningly. The man cleared his throat.

"Are you sick? What is this jeeeettt, you are speakin' of?"

"You know. An airplane." I said, rolling my eyes. I looked down and saw they were wearing the same type of clothes as I.

"What's a 'plane?"

I sighed. "Nothing. Why are we dressed like this?" I asked.

"Girl, you don't know where you are do you? Are you from the New World?" The woman asked, "my name is Jess, and this is my brother Nate."

"I'm Delilah." I said. New World? Isn't that what they called Canada way back then? I gasped out loud. It couldn't be. Either I was in Amish country or Dr. Dismay...

"What year is this?" I said casually, but in the inside I was freaking out.

"1834." Nate replied.

I could not believe it. Dr. Dismay had done the impossible. He had built a time a machine! And now I was alone, in the world of no technology.

"Where are you guys heading too?" I asked.

"The way to England, so we can board to Upper Canada, to get away from here. After our potatoes got ruined, the people here are starving and poor. We still have money, but we can't afford to stay here no more." Jess said sadly.

"I am sorry to hear that. How far away is the closest town here?" I asked.

"About 4 miles."

After Nate and Jess gave me directions, they whipped their horses into gear and left behind a trail of dust, and once again I was alone. This absolutely, was on my list on 'the worst things that have happened in my life.' I bet Julius is getting all cuddly with that red headed girl, I thought bitterly. I was never so mad in my life. I stomped down the road, thinking of ways I could get some money to buy some dinner.



[Julius's POV]

I rolled over onto my side, yawning loudly. I heard Janelle stir beside me, and I crawled over to her and smiled. She was pretty cute. Her eyes fluttered open and she sat up. She looked over at me and stifled her laughs.

"What?" I asked, wondering why she was laughing.

"Nice outfit there cowboy." She said.

I looked down and shrugged. I was wearing a tan colour cloth and cowboy boots. I had a holster too, plus a hat. I grinned, "nice dress."

Janelle glared at me jokingly, and stood up. She was wearing a bright red dress, and the skirt part was about a meter wide. "How can you walk in that?" I asked.

"I guess I will find out soon enough." She replied.

I helped her up and we walked down a dusty road. I coughed and walked ahead at a fast pace.

"What's the rush?" Janelle said, running up to me.

I rolled my eyes. "I want to find Delilah."

"Who's she?"

"My partner."

"Well she seems like a bitch."

I stopped abruptly and twirled around to face her. She gasped when she saw my face. "Shut up. Delilah is my best friend, and don't ever call her anything like that ever again."

She nodded meekly and we walked on ahead. I hoped that Delilah wasn't that far from us. I felt like I had let her down. If I had listened to her, and made a better plan, she wouldn't be in this mess. From what I knew, she probably hated my guts. I heard someone coming from behind me. I whipped around, hoping to see Delilah, but all I saw was horses and a buggy. I waved them down, and they stopped beside us.

"Hi there, Sir," I smiled, "have you by any chance seen a brown haired girl, medium height?"

"I believe we have, haven't we Nate?" A young woman replied.

"Why? Is she your wife?" Nate said.

I thought briefly. Back in the old days, men didn't talk to random girls, it was all arranged marriages. I coughed. "Yes. Yes she is. This is Janelle, her sister, and we are worried about her safety." I said, nudging Janelle in her side.

"Yes, I am worried sick." She said in a flat monotone voice.

"Well, you guys are heading the wrong way. She's way back north, heading to Buncrana, about 12 miles from here." Nate said.

"She mentioned something didn't she Nate? Something about some 'aeroplane." The girl frowned.

"Yes, 'Lilah did. Ya'll must be Jet and Aeroplane, her friends. She was asking about you."

Aeroplane and Jet? Did Delilah get hit in the head? I smiled, playing along.

"Yep, that's us. I'm Jet, and that's Plane." I replied, pointing over to Janelle, who was standing there looking at here hands, frowning. I thanked Nate and I turned around, heading in the direction, where supposedly Delilah was. From what Nate and the girl told us, it sounded like Delilah was a bit confused. She didn't even mention my name to them. She must be quite mad at me.

"Come Janelle, we need to hurry, or we will never make it there before dark." I said.

"But 12 miles is sooooooo far from here." She whined. I sighed and walked over to her and bent down. She hopped up on my back and I scurried down the road.
Sign up to rate and review this story