- You have a nice setup that opens all kinds of possibilities. Can either Harry/Harri defeat Voldemort in this universe? And what will be the interaction between the two? My first reaction would be that the two would sympathize with the other, but would having some one else know you that well become annoying? ANd of course the fact that the two are different genders may have skewed how they were raised. You could go either way, that Harri was dopted on or abused by the Dursleys.
Author's responseThere is no Voldemort in this universe... Tomasina Marvala Riddle didn't anagramize... though she does have a nom de garre...
Can Harry/Harri defeat her? Maybe.
Harry/Harri aren't going to be best buds, they are too alike and will grate on each other. They most certainly won't be lovers like a perv or two have requested. they will cooperate with each other.
For the purposes of this fic, this universe has humanity in a matriarchal society, with names following the mother's line. Harri's parents were Jane Potter and Lewis Evans.
SO, this universes Dursleys (Verna and Philip) treated Harri almost exactly like Petunia and Vernon treated Harry.
- Well, if everyone is genderflipped, as it's starting to sound--
- Mad-Eye Moody is going to look really ghastly with makeup around that eye
- is Harriet's Patronus really a doe?
- were the Marauders' pranks any less cruel for their being a sorority?
- does Nellie Longbottom's grandfather still wear a vulture-infested hat?
- did Moony's PMS phase-lock to her monthly furry problem?
- Harri's last name should be Evans.
This should be interesting.
Author's responseAlmost everyone.
- Women don't wear makeup...
- Yes, based off her mother's animagus form.
- Less cruel? Since when are groups of women less cruel? When I was in school (granted so long ago members of bands played instruments) I witnessed girls inflicting cruelty on each other that would make the strongest man shudder. No, they were complete and utter bitches to those they felt were beneath them.
- August Longbottom doesn't wear woemen's clothing... In public.
- Nope, Matriarchal society, her family name came from her mother, Jane Potter.
- I hope so.
- Now that's quite an interesting start and I reckon that things are going to get rather more confused when he starts explaining just how he got there and who he is. I'm not sure who'll be more confused for a while, Harry or those in his "new" universe. This universe's Voldie may well curse the one who sent him here as I can see Harry and Harri, while not likely to be best of friends, establishing a team relationship to deal with their problems.
I have to wonder just how abusive these Dursleys, or their analogs, were to Harriet as there is more potential for abuse with a female child than a male one.
I'll definitely be looking forward to future chapters as he tries to integrate into and adjust to this new world.
Author's responseThis fic is taking a whole lot more prep than any of my others so far. I think I'm going to have to publish a 'score card' so that people will know who's who. Names have to make sense after all, changing Hermione to Herman makes no sense after all. Young Mr. Granger will be Orestes for example, Sirius will be Cubicula, etc.
Just to be clear, almost without exception this universe is a gender mirror image to the normal one. Just about every single character we've ever seen as male is now female and vise versa.
Harry and Harri will NOT be buddies, but will know they need to work together.
The Dursleys are right bastards still, and treated Harri just as his own Dursleys treated Harry. There were differences, but baring a day by day accounting of each indignity just call it a wash.
Harry's going to try to integrate, but it won't be easy, when all the women are men as far as his memories go, and all the men remind him of women he knew...
The twins, as always will be fun.
- Hmmm... interesting. Harry's move from a patriarchal society to a matriarchal society should be... interesting. Hopefully the Luna of this universe (if that's the one he ends up with) is one of those that didn't swap genders.
As for pairings, why just Luna? :)
Hmmm... Also, how does Tom's analogue's parental situation work? I don't want to spell out the whole thing in a review, but basically, why the last name Riddle still (Mother was Gaunt), and if the parent's genders switched, how does that work? i.e. Tom: muggle Father abandons witch mother after love potions presumably wear off, mother dies giving birth. Tomasina: ???
Good story so far, hope to see more of it.
Author's responseThere's only one Luna...
Yes, just Luna. Why? Because people's personalities are pretty much set in concrete by the time they are 10 years old, and for better or worse the Dursleys formed Harry's personality. There is no realistic way that a kid like Harry, painfully shy around girls and women outside of very close long term friends would ever do the harem thing. The women of this new universe are analogs of his MALE friends and his mind (in as much as there is no indication in canon of his having any attraction toward those of the convex persuasion) would be screaming "THIS IS RON!!!!" if he were to make a move on Veronica Weasley (fer instance)
Now then, at this point in his life he doesn't know Luna, but he must have seen her in the halls, she sort of stands out. I've got their meeting on the train for his 5th year plotted out, when she lowers her upside down Quibbler, he stares at her and tells her she's a girl, then she congratulates him on his powers of observation - completely serious. The beginning of a beautiful relationship.
Tommi Riddle... Family names in this universe follow female lines, so Merlan Gaunt was a wizard who developed the screaming thigh sweats for Muggle Tomasina Riddle, when his domineering mother and psychotic older sister get hauled off by the MoM for Muggle baiting and general bitchyness she doses young Miss Riddle with a love potion and they run off to London. Young Tomasina is born, Merlan deeply in love stops dosing his wife, she sobers up, and runs home to mummy leaving Merlan and his daughter, shattered he foreswears magic. The neighbors assume that his wife died in one of the flu epidemics around at the time, Merlan is killed in a robbery and young Tomi ends up in the orphanage where she stays until Dumbles comes for her when she turns eleven...
(#) PerfesserN 2007-11-17Now would be an excellent time to re-read Kiplings "The Female of the Species." Oh yeah!
This is one of those stories where I think, "Why didn't I think of that?"
So Minerva will be Paris McGonnagal, and Albus will be Ariana?
There will be six, count em' six Weasley girls. Hmmmm, twin redheaded girls who love a good prank - I'm sorry, am I drooling?
I think I'm going to like this one!
Author's response- It's on my bookshelf next to my computer. I reread it about once a year.
- Actually I'm recycling the plot and much of the dialog from a complete meltdown of one of my attempts at the great American Science Fiction novel...
- Paris and Ariana (or possibly Blanche) are on my list of possibles. I'm working on a score card so people can tell the players (and so I can keep track)
- Tomasina Marvala Riddle isn't going to be anagramming (a woman wouldn't likely think that was a cool thing to do) She will be Lady Seductemort, and a cast iron bitch.
The Weasleys: Agnes and Mitchell
Kids, Bobbi, Carla, Penny, Frieda, Gretta, Ronnie, and Arthur. (an estrogen nightmare) Wipe your chin...
I hope you do.
- Sounds like an interesting story, but calling Voldemort "Voldie", is a horrible cliche. It makes Harry sound real immature to resort to kiddie names.
Then theres the out of no where cussing.
I wonder if Luna is a guy...
Another thing I really don't want to read a story about Harry doing female verisons of male char. Its.... just sick.
Author's responseBearing in mind that the Harry of this story is all of 14 years old, how mature do you want him to be?
What would you say to someone who was trying to kill you? "Sorry to be a bother old bean, would you mind terribly not using those nasty killing curses around me? They sting like no body's business. Gosh!" I try to write my characters like people speak, outside of monistaries Harry's cursing is completely within the bounds of how people in his situation speak.
No, she isn't. I checked.
I would advise you to avoid those fics then.
Sign up to review this story.