Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Innocence Faded

The Test That Stumped Them All

by Anonymus31 3 reviews

Harry spirals down into depression and hysterics.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Harry,Hermione,Ron - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2007-11-23 - Updated: 2008-06-30 - 3858 words

3Original
I'd just like to tell everyone that I won't be posting any more of my stories on this site for a while. I will eventually post the rest of the two that are already on here, but that's very low on my priority list.

I'm sorry, but between the crappy formatting, the painfully slow cache that makes you wait forever to see if edits worked, to the fact that Overture got cut off, I'm just a little too frustrated with this site right now.

Disclaimer: If I were to say "The Boulevard of Broken Dreams" is a good song, would anybody realize I wasn't talking about a Green Day song? I thought not. Kinda surprising really, considering all the clues that my stories give my readers as to my musical tastes. Oh, yeah, just a reminder, I don't own Harry Potter, or any song whose lyrics appear in my stories.



A/N: In case you haven't noticed the previous three chapters have been heavily modified. I added over 1000 words to Chapter 2: War Inside My Head. I hope you enjoy.

Chapter 3: The That Stumped Them All



Still the keep me between these hollow walls
Hoping to find in me
The answers to the test that stumped them all


--Dream Theater "The Test That Stumped Them All



The next morning Harry woke up to see Ron sitting next to his bed with Rose Weasley. Rose was the first to notice he was awake. "Morning Uncle Ha--I mean Professor Potter," she said, not showing any emotion. Harry looked at his niece, who looked for all the world like her mother did at that age, except Rose had red hair like her father.



"Morning Rose," Harry mumbled. He wondered why Ron had her with him. He rolled over to ignore them--only to come face to face with Hugo Weasley. Harry was on the verge of tears now, surrounded by reminders of his foolishness.



Ron noticed this and quickly said, "I asked them to be here because I have something to say and I don't want to explain this more than I have to. I want you to know, mate, that I told Hermione that whatever she decides to do, you know, about the choice between you and me, I'd support her. I love her, but I have afeeling she loves you more than she does me. If she does choose you, I want you to know that I'll be your best man this time," Ron said as he patted his best friend on his shoulder.



Harry, feeling a little better, managed a weak smile. "Whatever happened to the jealous git who refused to be the best man at our wedding? The one who refused to even attend?"



Ron laughed at this. "Would you believe that Hermione asked the exact same thing when I told her that? Well, I didn't tell her that I thought she would leave me for you, but I think that saying that I'd support her no matter what she decided got across the same point. But to answer your question, Dean once told me, if you love someone set them free. If they love you back, they'll return. If not, you should be happy for them. Between him and George, I was able to get over it by the time Jonas and Jenna were born, as you well know. Though I'm not sure I'll ever forgive you for what you did to Hermione in the months leading up to your divorce. She might, but that's a tribute to how much she loves you. I won't, because it tore at me to see her cry the way she did."



"I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive myself for what I did then. I know I was under the effects of the potion, but I feel like I failed. I failed her. I failed Jonas and Jenna." A single tear slid down his cheek.



"Don't say that, Harry. In other known cases where that potion was used, most people succumbed to its effects within weeks, two months on the outside. Though we're not sure, George and I believe Ginny started giving it to you shortly after the twins were born," Ron gave his best friend--no, his /brother/--a one armed hug. "If we're right, that means you held out for almost a year before giving in."



"It doesn't make sense for her to wait that long. I think she might have started just after Hermione got pregnant. I can't say why I think she started then and not earlier, except that it feels, I don't know, correct, to say that that was when she started dosing me."



When they left, he switched on the WWN receiver and tuned it to the station that played old muggle music. When Harry heard the song playing, he didn't know whether he should laugh or cry. In the end Harry decided to laugh hysterically, though it did leave him in tears. Madame Midgen had to stun him before she could force a calming draught down his throat.



------



As Harry was cracking up, Ron was exiting the castle with his children in tow. Rose, who was only following him to the gates, asked,"Dad, what was that you said, about a choice that Mum was going to make between you and Uncle Harry?"



Ron, suddenly realizing that he'd forgotten to explain something, slapped his forehead with his palm in exasperation. Shit, I knew Iforgot something. The only question was how much should he tell them. They both got their intelligence from their mother, thank Merlin, so Iguess I could tell them everything, or at least most of it, anyway.



He conjured three folding camp chairs, and motioned for them to take a seat. "Now, you know that your mum was married to Harry before she married me, right?" They both nodded. "They were married right before we began our seventh year. Up until the Final Battle, Your mum and I were a couple, but your mum didn't really feel for me in that way back then. Her heart belonged to Harry, probably still does--though I don't think she realizes it," he sighed heavily. "Anyway, after the Final Battle Harry confessed his love to her, and proposed to her, which she accepted. At that time Ithought I would never forgive them. I did forgive them, however, shortly before Jonas and Jenna were born on 12 May 2000. Harry and Hermione seemed destined to be together forever. Obviously, it didn't last.



"About a year later, the fights started. She would always come to me for comfort afterwards. It tore at my heart to see Hermione so broken up. I can remember her description of some of them, and it still amazes me that she kept going back. I'm rambling again. Anyhow, about three months after the first fight, she came over, and asked me if she and the twins could stay over. I said she could, and she didn't talk to anyone except the twins for a week afterwards." He shook his head. "It turned out Harry was asking for a trial separation, and two weeks after she started staying with me, he started divorce proceedings. It was a bitter divorce; I still can't believe some of the things they said to each other. Five and a half months later, the divorce was complete.



"Almost six months after the divorce, Harry and Ginny got married. Neither your mum nor I attended. Your mum wasn't invited, and I was angry with Harry for getting remarried so soon. Though I turned out ahypocrite, as your mum and I got married just under six months after Harry and Ginny."



"Why did Uncle Harry and Mum get a divorce?" Hugo asked. "You make it sound as if they never stopped loving each other. It makes no sense." Though he would never admit it to Hermione, Ron was fairly certain that Hugo was far smarter than Hermione ever was. He sometimes joked to Hermione that Hugo was too smart to be his son.



"There is a simple reason. You see, before the Horcrux hunt, Harry had gone out with your Aunt Ginny. Ginny had always had a crush on Harry, but I'm not sure she ever thought that she actually had a chance until she and Harry started dating in the spring of 1997. Harry and Hermione got a divorce because your Aunt Ginny was using a love potion on Harry. A very subtle one, called Amortentia Minima. We've all looked back on the years since the divorce, and it seems obvious in hindsight, but there were only two people close enough to Harry to notice the differences in him. Ginny wasn't going to tell anyone, and I was too stupid to realize what they all meant. I've never understood how your mum never noticed them. I guess she was just too upset to notice." Ron replied sadly.



Rose got up and hugged her father tightly. "I think your doing the right thing Dad. But Ialso think you give yourself too little credit. With Mum, that is. You've been married fourteen, almost fifteen years. I'm sure this is going to be the hardest decision Mum has ever made," Rose said, her words showing wisdom far beyond her years. Hugo nodded his assent.



Ron, not sure if he should be relieved at how they took it, or distressed by what Rose said, stood up, vanished the chairs, and led Hugo off of the grounds.



As he cleared the wards, he got an idea. After contacting George on a set of two-way mirrors they had, he apparated to Bill and Fleur's place, where he asked Fleur if she could watch Hugo for him for a few days. He then apparated back to Hogsmeade, walked back to the castle, all the way to Professor McGonagall's office. After a short discussion through the gargoyle, Ron was admitted into her office.



"Now, Mr. Weasley, what was it you wanted to speak to me about?" Professor McGonagall asked.



"I'd like to volunteer to fill in for Harry while he's..." He searched for the right word, "/incapacitated/," he finally said, carefully.



"Very well, I think you'll do. Your test results weren't quite as high as Harry's, if I remember correctly, but you still scored Exceeds Expectations on your Defense Against the Dark Arts N.E.W.T., which you achieved without Hermione urging you to study. I'd appreciate your help, and I'm sure Harry does as well.



------



Hermione was listening to one of her favorite albums, "Octavarium" by Dream Theater, pondering what to do. Progressive Rock and Metal, particularly Dream Theater, always helped her think. Sure, she loved Harry. She loved him more than she loved Ron. But she had made a life with Ron, for fourteen years. She couldn't just turn her back on all those years. She was no closer to deciding what to do than she was two days ago. But she had to get back to work. She packed up what little she had brought with her and walked downstairs to bid her parents goodbye.



She found them sitting in the kitchen, much as they had been the day before, discussing random bits of news, though today her father was getting ready to leave for a round of golf with some old buddies of his. She could tell by the hideous clothes he was wearing.



"Mum, Dad, I've got to get back to Hogwarts. I'm only afirst year teacher and I need to get back before the Headmistress decides to sack me," she said as she gave each of her parents a hug.



"Have you come to adecision yet?" her mother asked.



"No. My heart doesn't even know what it wants. Maybe getting back to work, taking my mind off of it, will make things more clear. All I know is that I'm getting nowhere just thinking about it. When I make my decision, you'll be the first to know, after Harry and Ron, of course," she said as she apparated to Hogsmeade.



------



Harry 'woke' to find George sitting by the bed. Only he wasn't alone. Lily was sitting on his lap. "Afternoon, Harry. She wanted to see you. She overheard Ron and I talking about how upset you were and she just had to see you," George said, then mouthed, '/She doesn't know what happened/.'



"Are you feeling better, Daddy?" Lily asked, Harry saw the look of worry and love in his daughter's face and he knew for sure that he couldn't hate his children with Ginny. But he still didn't know how he felt about his three youngest.



"I don't know. Your mother..." he trailed off, lost in thought.



"Is this about Mum's special potion? The one that she said if you stopped taking you would get really, really sad, and you would do crazy things like leave her?" Lily asked.



"Y-You /knew/?" Harry had the distant urge to strangle her. He easily clamped down on it. He shook his head, reminding himself she was just a little girl, and Ginny almost certainly threatened grave punishment if she told him.



George, seeing the anger flash across Harry's face, leaned over and said to Lily, "Why don't you go talk to your brothers for a while, okay?"



Lily nodded enthusiastically and hopped off the bed and through the partition. Harry was surprised when, instead of heading towards the doors, the sound of her footsteps led further into the room. They were cut off as George cast aquick privacy charm. "James and Albus didn't handle the news too well last night," George said, anticipating Harry's question. "I hear Ron told you about what he told Hermione. I've never been more proud to call him my brother. I want you to know, the entire Weasley family, except for Molly and Ginevra, are there for you."



"Thanks George, that means a lot to me," Harry said. He was a little unnerved about how...how normal his emotions felt, when he knew he should feel anything but normal. "What happened to me? I feel...well, Idon't feel depressed anymore."



"Madame Midgen had to give you a calming draught. You apparently cracked up. You were in such a fit of hysterics that she had to stun you before she could give you the potion. What brought that on, anyway?"



"A song, believe it or not. It was by a muggle band called Lordi. I think it was about a guy whose wife kills him, and he gets his revenge from beyond the grave," He could barely feel the hysterics tugging at the edge of his consciousness. "I guess I feel like Ginny killed me, and I want to get my revenge on her. I dunno. My memory gets kinda hazy about the time the song began. I know the gist of the song because I've heard it so many times," he paused. "God, the effects of acalming draught are unnerving. I know what emotions I feel at any given time, but I don't experience them. Is that /normal/?"



"Not usually, but then again, when have you ever been normal?" George asked with a smile. "Also, a calming draught usually isn't used for stuff like this. Eloise says she thinks you are what muggles call /die bowler/, or something like that."



"That's /bipolar/," said a new voice. A kindly looking woman Harry's age came around the curtain. She was short and Harry would describe her as voluptuous. She had the classic hourglass figure, and was rather, er, /top-heavy/.



"H-how did you hear that? I thought I put up a privacy charm," George stammered.



"You did. Madame Pomfrey got sick of people doing that and during the last few years before her retirement spent her free time working on a charm to allow her to hear what was being said behind them. She never finished it, but she gave me her notes and I managed to get it to work the other day. It isn't perfect, as it only allows me to hear what's being said behind a privacy charm when I'm nearby. Plus, what I hear is very fuzzy, so it's not the best solution. I'll have to talk to Hermione about it tonight." She said



"Now as for your condition, the muggles call it Bipolar Depression. They used to call it Manic Depressive, but Bipolar is the more common term nowadays. It's characterized by periods of depression, and also periods of mania--racing thoughts, irritability, delusions of grandeur, and in some cases psychosis. The periods last for about a week or more, and they occur at least four times a year, and sometimes come in what is known as a mixed state, where depression is accompanied by mania. People with Bipolar are also prone to mood swings, regardless of what state they're in, and can focus on one task to the exclusion of all others. Does any of this sound familiar?" Harry nodded, "That answers that question. Now as for your emotional state, a calming draught has never been used in this situation before, but it was the only thing I could think of to stop the hysterics. It's not a permanent solution, and I don't want to put you on a regimen of them. I've sent letters to colleagues in America, Japan and Greece. Those countries are far ahead of England when it comes to integrating muggle and magical solutions. I should have an answer soon enough from one of them. Until then I'm keeping you here for your own safety. Ron has volunteered to take over for you until you get better," she said. "I've also been in contact with a squib psychologist, and he'll be coming by later in the week to see if there's anything he can do for you."



"Thanks, Madame Midgen, for all you've done to help me get better," Harry said.



"It's my job," She said with a smile as she went to check on her other patients.



------



Teddy Lupin was having lunch with his grandmother, Andromeda Tonks, when he received a letter, delivered by a small, excitable, and rather old owl. He wondered what Ron Weasley, a man who was like an uncle to him, wanted.



Teddy,



I gave Harry some bad news the other day and he hasn't taken it very well. I'll let him explain. He's currently in the Hogwarts hospital wing.



Sincerely,

Ron



Harry. The man that was a father to him since he was only a year old. He quickly finished his lunch, gave his grandmother a hug, and apparated to Hogsmeade. From there he set off to visit his godfather. He reached the hospital wing as George and Lily were leaving. Upon entering the room, he found Harry behind a partition, lying on what he'd learned had been his 'second bed' all those years ago when he was in Hogwarts. Rumor was that no one had used it since Harry's seventh year.



"So Ron tells me you're pretty broken up," Teddy said. "What happened, if I may ask?"



"Well, your suspicions were right. Ginny was using a love potion on me. What I would like to know is what made you suspect that." Harry said, eerily calm.



"First tell me how you know of my suspicions. I've only ever told one person about it." Teddy responded, wondering if perhaps Victoire had said something to him.



"You were in my house when you said it, and I was in the other room. I never brought it up because I thought it was preposterous at the time. I only just remembered what you told Victoire." Harry replied. "Now it's your turn."



Teddy thought for a minute before saying, "Well, I've seen Pensieve memories of both your wedding to Hermione and your wedding to Ginny, and in the memory of your first wedding, the love was tangible. I could see it; I could reach out and touch it. With the second wedding, there was no love. The only genuine emotion that was evident was... well, I guess it could only be called possession, and Ginny exuded it with everything she said, with every movement. After Iwatched that memory, I noticed that same attitude in her whenever Hermione was nearby, as if she was warning her off. It was rather odd, to say the least. Also, I've never seen you as happy as you were in the memory of your first wedding. I could name many other factors, but that would take a while."



"Was it really that obvious? Was the evidence staring everyone in the face?" Harry asked.



"Not unless you know what to look for. Most of the subtle, long-term, love potions don't give you the tell tale glassy eyes that the short-term ones do. My guess, based on all the symptoms, is that it was Amortentia Minima. I could be wrong, but all evidence points to the fact that she was going for subtlety, and that's the subtlest there is by a long shot. She wouldn't even need that much help to make it, considering she probably could pass the test to be a certified Potions Mistress," was the answer.



"I see the Auror training is doing some good. I've always said that, with your mother's skills and intelligence and your father's grace, you'd make an excellent Auror, and it looks like you're going to prove me right in two years. I know I've said it so many times in the past eighteen years that it's become cliche, but your parents would be extremely proud of you. I know I am," Harry said as he hugged his godson.



They talked a little more, but by the time Teddy left, the calming draught was beginning to wear off. He turned on the WWN to his usual station, and was relieved that no songs that underscored his current mood were played. The only song that stood out to him was "Octavarium" by Dream Theater, all 24 minutes of it. When Hermione first introduced him to their music all those years ago, he didn't really think they were that great, but they definitely grew on him. He rolled over and went to sleep.



------



A/N: Gee, Harry sleeps a lot, doesn't he? That's just part of bipolar. You sleep a lot in a depressive state, and barely sleep in a manic state. I believe that there is canon evidence for Harry being bipolar. Just look at his portrayal in books 5-7. Periods of sullenness, racing thoughts in a mania, and general irritability and rapid mood swings. I think the conversation after his arrival at Grimmauld place in book five is the best illustration of the point, how he goes from curious about where he is to atowering rage in no time flat, then calms back down so quickly. Granted, that could just be poor writing, but there is at least apossible in story explanation. Also, is there a canon description for Rose? If so, what is it? And yes, I /am/obsessed with Dream Theater.



Finally,



Questions? Comments? Plotholes? Put them in a review (Please!) and I will try to respond to them.

















Hanoi Rocks FTW![**]

Sign up to rate and review this story