Categories > Original > Drama > BestFriendsForNothing (1)

BestFriendsForNothing (1)

by KissedByANerd 2 reviews

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2007-10-20 - Updated: 2007-10-20 - 816 words

0Unrated
We laid there in the middle of the field of grass. Lying there, not caring what the passing cars thought, not caring that people thought I was his girl, not caring that our world together would soon end. He was my best friend, nothing more. All that would be torn away tomorrow morning. I'm moving away to Chicago. We decided to spend our last day together like we do everyday, laying in the field, thinking.
"You promise to right me everyday, Cassie?"
"Of course, Zack. I wouldn't miss it."
"And Cassie...You promise you won't forget me?"
I sat up, unsuspecting that question. It was a horrible thing to ask, but Zack wasn't always good with delicate situations. It hurt for him to say that, but he didn't know.
"How could I? You're my best friend Zack."
"Right. Cassie, I love you. You know that, right? Like a sister. Forever, okay?"
"Right, Zack. I love you, too, but are you alright?"
"Could you ever live without me?"
"I...Zack?"
He walked over to the pond. Hovered beside it for a few seconds then jumped inside. I ran to the side and watched him float. Our last time...Last day.

1 month later

I roughly put my hair up in a ponytail and sighed at my reflection. "Are you ready Cassie?" I wiped the tears from my eyes and nodded. "Yeah mom. I am." I slipped on my black heals and took one last look at myself in the mirror. My black dress cascaded past my knees and lightly touched my calves. "Come on!" I clenched my fists and ran downstairs. "Wow. You look amazing." Said Jake who was fixing his tie in the mirror. "Thanks." My brother looked in my eyes and smiled. "I’m sorry." He said turning away and walking outside and into the car. "Yeah. Me too." I whispered taking a hold of Lily (my little sisters) hand. "Are you ready sissy?" I looked down at my little 5 year old sister. "Yes, Lily, I’m fine." But that was a lie. I would never be ready for that. The image of him floated into my head again, hanging from the ceiling. I remembered clenching the note in my hand. It read, "Cassie, I love you and I always have. I just wanted you so bad I couldn't take it. I love you, Cassie. I'll see you again, kid, remember that."
He never knew my secret. Maybe if I had just told him he would be here breathing, instead of in that casket.

I stood over the casket looking at him, sick to my stomach at the thought of all his organs taken out of him. I brushed his hair out of his eyes and kissed his forehead, then tears poured down my cheeks and I couldn't take it anymore. I ran through the isle ways of the church into the bathroom, I didn't care that everyone was staring at me. I just didn't care. I looked at the mirror and then my fist. I had to do this. I swung at the mirror and it shuddered. I fell to the ground sobbing gripping for dear life on to my fist. "ZACK!" I screamed kicking my legs and shaking my head. “No!!" The bathroom door swung open and my brother and mom ran in. They hovered over me and then everything went black. "Hey Cassie." I looked behind me everything was pitched black. I couldn’t see anything. "Hello?" I asked looking around squinting. "It’s me." And he appeared, "Zack." I whispered tears forming in my eyes. "Yeah. Hey Cassie." I ran to him and jumped into his arms my lips tightly on his. I woke up and was in the hospital. I started sobbing when I realized it wasn't real. The doctor looked surprised I was awake. "Quite a little spill you had. Lucky you didn't get cut in the head. Aheh hem hem....Err..."
"Zack..."
"What was that?"
"When can I leave?"
"Not for a while. We have to do a few tests, lucky you did get that little bump in the head though. We would have never caught that tumor."
"WHAT?!"
"I figured your memory would be a little crazy. You have a brain tumor, we don't know how bad but we're going to try our best." This doctor was a cliché. "Er..Okay." I said laying back down in the bed. I was confused, really confused. "Hey doc?" He smiled. "You can call me Sebastian." I nodded. "Okay...Hey Sebastian?" He laughed and nodded. "Yes?" "How old are you?" He sat on the end of my hospital bed. "19...and yourself?" I smiled. "17." He nodded and pat my head. "Your going to be okay Kidd." I forced a smile. Kidd?? He was 2 years older than me and he is calling me a Kidd? I rolled my eyes. “Lets hope so, Sebastian."

**
Sign up to rate and review this story