Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Half Way Around The World

Sleepless Over The Pacific

by fob2adelaide 1 review

Emily travels half way around the world to stay with her friend Sarah. She wants to see Fall Out Boy live but little does she know she's going to see more than that...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Published: 2008-01-22 - Updated: 2008-01-24 - 914 words - Complete

0Unrated
A/N: Tell me what you think...reviews much appreciated!

Emily was trying to sleep. Her eyelids would droop every now and then, but suddenly she would be jolted and her eyelids would flutter open once more. The reason for these jolts was the turbulence from the airplane she was in. A few minutes earlier, the pilot had told everyone on board that they were in for a rough time; that a storm was heading their way. Emily had groaned as he said this. She liked flying, but just not when the plane became like a boat, tossing and turning everywhere. After trying for at least half an hour to fall asleep, Emily gave up and sat up on her chair. With nothing much else to do, she grabbed her iPod from her hand luggage, placed the headphones on her ears and switched it on. For the next hour she listened to her favorite bands. They were all a mixture of punk, classic rock and even some metal. As she listened she thought back to the ten or so hours ago when she had left home. Left home to travel half way around the world.

In a way, it had been some sort of a relief to be able to leave home in Australia and travel. Emily always liked a little bit of adventure and traveling fulfilled this part of her personality. But in another way, it had been hard for Emily to leave. She loved her family and friends and already after this short amount of time, she felt a little homesick and was missing them. She quickly shoved these thoughts out of her mind as she thought about how exciting it was to be finally going to Chicago. Finally being able to see Sarah in person.

For two years, Emily and Sarah had been pen pals, but without the pen part. They had emailed each other constantly, spilling out secrets and emotions they would have never shown to those around them. Even if both girls loved those people dearly. They were now best friends and it was only natural to finally meet each other in person. Both girls were the same age and had many things in common. Mainly their shared love of music and bands. Their favorite band was Fall Out Boy, a band that came from Sarah’s hometown and had now broken out into the mainstream. Emily hoped that while she was in Chicago she might be able to see them live. That was one thing about Australia, good bands like Fall Out Boy hardly ever got there and Emily being an avid fan of music found this quite annoying. Going to Chicago for a while meant a lot more access to bands.

But in order to see a few bands, Emily had to stay in Chicago for a while. She wasn’t sure how long she was going to stay in Chicago for though, so the possibility of seeing bands was really up in the air. It all depended on whether Sarah and her got on as well as they did in their emails and whether she would be able to fit in with Sarah’s family and their life.

Emily cranked up the volume on her iPod and leant her face against the airplane window. She sighed as all these thoughts rushed through her mind. Really, their wasn’t any point in worrying about what would happen since she couldn’t predict it, but Emily just couldn’t help it. She was a worrier and right now her worries were just happy bullying her.

Suddenly someone tapped her on the shoulder and she looked around to see a stewardess with a tray full of food and drinks. Emily switched her iPod off and the stewardess asked her if she wanted anything. Emily asked for a coke. Caffeine was just what she needed right now. She couldn’t sleep so she might as well feel a little energetic. Gratefully she grabbed the coke from the stewardess and downed it. She switched the iPod back on again and turned it on to the song Of All The Gin Joints In The World by Fall Out Boy. It was a loud and fast song and it fit perfectly with the caffeine kick. She rested her head on the window once again and looked out at the rising sun. It was dawn and that meant Chicago was getting much closer than Emily thought.

The plane began dipping down towards the ground and Emily braced herself for the impact. Finally the bump came signaling that they were on ground, in Chicago. The airplanes brakes were applied full force and the plane finally slowed and stopped. The seatbelt lights went off and everyone around Emily got up getting their hand luggage. She waited until some of the passengers had gone and then Emily also grabbed her luggage. She headed off the plane and was instantly hit was coldness. It was wintertime in the northern hemisphere and that meant snow and minus something temperatures for Chicago. Emily wasn’t used to such coldness so she quickly grabbed her hoodie she had packed in her hand luggage. She pulled it on while shivering a little. Finally Emily began walking to the airport terminal. As she approached she realized that behind the tinted windows of the terminal stood Sarah. She was finally meeting her. Also behind those windows lay a new chapter to Emily’s life.
Sign up to rate and review this story