Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The New Order

Midnight Meetings

by UTforever22 1 review

Harry completes his escape

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Ginny,Harry - Published: 2008-02-03 - Updated: 2008-02-04 - 3185 words

1TrainWreck
“You know what, Ron, it’s none of your business if I am writing to Dean. It’s none of your business who I write to,” shouted Ginny as she slammed her bedroom door. She loved her brother, but he was such a prat sometimes. She hadn’t really been intending to write to Dean, but Ron didn’t need to know that. She was about to head down for lunch when she noticed a letter sitting on the window ledge.


“That’s odd, I didn’t notice any owls,” Ginny muttered softly. However unexpected the letter might be, the words written on the parchment caught her off guard.

Dear Ginny,

I need your help with something, but first, you must tell no one that I have written to you, including your family. I know that I have paid you little regard in the past and for that I apologize. You were able to put me in my place last year when I needed it, you fought bravely at the Department of Mysteries and I am proud to consider you a friend. I also apologize for getting you hurt at the Ministry. I led you into a trap and it almost got you and the others killed. Right now I am in need of help and you are the one best suited to aid me. Meet me at Midnight at the broom shed. Tell no one.

Yours truly,
Harry

P.S. Just so you know that this is not a trap, in the summer before third year Fred and George changed Percy’s Head-Boy badge to say “Big Head-Boy.” Also, last Christmas when I feared I was being used to attack and spy on the Order, you talked sense into me and convinced me that I was not being possessed.



Ginny was baffled. What was it that Harry was keeping so secret? Why hadn't he written Ron and Hermione instead? If she hadn’t seen the post script she would have thought it a trap, but was certain that Harry had written that letter. Most importantly, however, was how he planned to be here at Midnight when he was supposed to stay with his relatives until his birthday. None of this made sense, but supposed she would get some answers tonight.


Ginny didn’t know that the author of her letter was already at the Burrow, starving, exhausted, and aching all over. His cracked rib hurt whenever he moved his chest and his eye twinged whenever he blinked. Harry hadn’t slept since waking to catch the Hogwarts Express, nor had he eaten since leaving the train. Harry knew that he couldn’t fall asleep now; there was no way he would wake up in time for his late night rendezvous with Ginny if he did. More importantly, falling asleep would increase his risk of being discovered. Harry passed the time by wandering the grounds of the Burrow, resisting the temptation to prank Ron from under his cloak. Finally the sun set and a few hours later the Weasley’s went off to bed. Harry positioned himself in front of the broom shed so he would be able to see anyone coming from the house. Around midnight Harry saw a lantern held by a small shadowy figure leave the Burrow and approach the shed. When Harry move to meet Ginny and whispered “Expecto Patronum,” Prongs leapt from Harry’s wand, eliminating any doubt in Ginny’s mind that this was indeed Harry.


“Harry, what’s going on? Why are you here? Why aren’t you at the Dursley’s?” she questioned.


“I ran away and refuse to go back. I need your word that you will not tell anyone what I tell you until it is time,” said Harry.


“I promise,” assured Ginny.


“I’ve decided that I am done letting Dumbledore run my life. He has done…” Harry’s speech was interrupted by an angry Ginny who had raised the lantern and saw for the first time the injuries on the boy’s face.


“Oh my goodness, Harry, what happened to you?” asked Ginny.


“Dudley Dursley happened,” he answered darkly. “He and his gang decided to go Harry Hunting.”


“You mean you travelled all this way like that! Come inside. I know some good healing spells.”


“Can you do them out here? I can’t risk being discovered.”


“Fine, lie down so I can see better,” instructed Ginny. Harry did as he was told, groaning as the action aggravated his rib injury. “Epipskey.” Harry felt a sharp pinch as his nose returned to its proper shape. Ginny repeated the spell several times on Harry’s face, healing the various wounds. Soon Harry’s face was mostly healed, though still tender and bruised.


“Now, where else are you hurt?” asked Ginny.


“Um, nowhere, I’m fine,” said Harry, avoiding Ginny’s gaze.


“Harry, when you laid down you winced and grabbed your side. Where else are you hurt?” Ginny’s tone said that under no circumstances would Harry leave her sight until she had healed each of his injuries.


“My chest, I think I have a cracked rib.”.


“Take off your shirt,” Ginny ordered, her eyes bulging at the bruises that covered Harry’s chest and stomach. Harry blushed as Ginny’s eyes roamed his body. Ginny repeated the healing spell several more times, leaving Harry feeling much better. As he put his shirt back on, he noticed for the first time that Ginny was wearing one of his old Quidditch jerseys.


“That shirt’s a little big to be your’s, isn’t it?” Harry asked.


“It’s Ron’s,” Ginny quickly answered. "It probably won't fit him next season and I needed something to sleep in."


“Ron’s Quidditch jersey says “Potter” on the back?” he teased, noting how nice Ginny looked when she blushed. He decided that the shirt looked much better on her than it did on himself.


“Stop that,” Harry berated himself. “That’s Ron’s sister.”


“Harry, what are you doing here?” Ginny hastily changed the subject.


“Well, as I said, I’m done letting Dumbledore run my life. He’s controlled my life since my parents died, and those years have been filled with pain, both physical and mental. First he left me with the Dursley’s, knowing full well that they would treat me horribly. Did he once have anybody attempt to make sure I was treated better? No, I slept in a cupboard for ten years, was beat up regularly, and worked like a House Elf all in the name of my safety. Yesterday my cousin and his goons pounded me, then my aunt made me clean up my own blood from said beating. Last year Dumbledore wouldn’t even look me in the eye. He left me alone while I was forced to write lines in my own blood. Then I find out that Dumbledore had been keeping the real reason Voldemort tried to kill me as a child a secret.” The bitterness in his voice was unmistakable.


“What do you mean?” asked Ginny.


“I was the target at Godric’s Hollow. Voldemort attacked my family because of a prophecy given by Trelawney of all people,” Harry said with a harsh laugh. "The old bat finally gave a real prediction and what good does it do?"


“Too bad we don’t know what it says,” Ginny mused thoughtfully.


“I do,” said Harry. “Dumbledore was there when it was made. He told me when we got back from the Ministry. Of course, it was too late by then; Sirius had already been killed because I didn’t know Voldemort had a reason to lure there. Do you want to hear it?”


“Only if you want to tell me,” said Ginny softly. “Please don’t feel like you have to.”


“It’s okay. I need to talk to somebody about it. Ron and Hermione don’t even know.” Harry closed his eyes briefly before repeating the words that had been burned into his memory. “The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...”


“So it means you. It means you have to kill Voldemort,” Ginny stated.


“Or die trying. Voldemort wanted to know the entire prophecy. He only knows the first three sentences, so he had no way of knowing that there was any danger in attacking me. The funny thing is, before I got my scar that prophecy might not have meant me at all. There were two children born at the end of July that year to parents who had defied Voldemort three times.”


“Who’s the other one?”


“Neville.” Harry responded. “Luckily for him though, Voldemort made sure the prophecy meant me when he gave me my scar. Dumbledore says he chose me because I was a half blood like him, so I might be more like him, more of a danger to him. That’s why Dumbledore guards me. I’m his tool, his weapon. He doesn’t care about me at all. He wants me to be angry enough to be able to take a life when the time comes to face Voldemort for the last time.”
Harry suddenly burst into tears. Ginny’s heart broke seeing him like this. Sitting down next to him, she held him while he buried his eyes and sobbed into her shoulder. At that moment Ginny decided that she would do anything she could to aid Harry in his endeavour.


“Why did he have to leave me? I need him now more than anything but he’s gone,” said Harry. Ginny fought back her own tears and rubbed Harry’s back soothingly until his tears dried.


“Sorry,” he whispered, a bit embarrassed to have let himself go like that in front of Ginny.


“That’s okay, Harry, you need to let it out,” said Ginny. “Harry, you still look like hell. When was the last time you ate or slept?”


Harry mumbled something, again avoiding Ginny’s piercing stare.


“What was that?” Ginny was not about to let Harry get away without answering.


“Hogwarts,” Harry answered, knowing that information would not sit well with Ginny. At least he had the decency to look ashamed of himself.


“What! Harry, you’re coming inside right now and eating something, and then you will get some rest.”


“I’ll eat but I can’t sleep yet. I only have about 72 hours before the Order realizes I’m missing. I need to be settled in before then.”


“Where are you going?” Ginny questioned.


“The Shrieking Shack,” he answered.


“That place is dangerous you can’t go there,” Ginny said insistently.


“It’s not dangerous. It was built so Lupin would have a place to transform when he was at school. That’s where I first met Sirius,” said Harry. “I’m going to take the Knight Bus to King’s Cross tonight and then follow the track towards Hogwarts while I still have some darkness. When the sun rises I’ll have to land. You are the only one who will know where I am. I might tell the twins, but not yet.”


“Harry, that’s risky. If anything happened to you no one would know.” Harry could hear the concern in Ginny’s voice.


“I thought of that, which is why I’m giving you this. It’s a two-way mirror. Just say my name and I’ll appear in the mirror and we can talk to each other. You’ll be the only person able to hear my side of the conversation. To anybody else, it will look as though you are carrying on a conversation with your reflection. We should check in with each other every day. If you haven’t heard from me in 24 hours, have the twins check on me,” said Harry.


“What happens when word gets out that you’re gone?” asked Ginny.


“That’s where your role will need to become a bit more well known. I’m going to leave you with several memories of mine. When they realize I’m gone, Dumbledore will probably call an emergency meeting of the Order. I need you, Ron, Hermione, Fred, and George to go to the meeting and get Dumbledore to retrieve his Pensieve. I want everybody there to see the memories,” said Harry.


Harry handed Ginny several potion vials. “I have one more memory for you.” Pulling out an empty vial, he filled it with another memory.


“What’s this one of?” asked Ginny.


“The beating Dudley gave me last night,” Harry scowled.
Harry and Ginny quietly entered the kitchen. Harry sat down while Ginny quickly fixed him a plate of eggs .


“So, how’s Dean?” he asked.


“Dean? Why would I be talking to Dean?” Ginny had finished Harry's eggs and was now grabbing various items for Harry to take with him.


“Well, he is your boyfriend isn’t he?”


“What? Oh, I only told Ron that to lead him on. He did ask me out, but I told him I wasn’t interested.” Ginny said over her shoulder. For reasons Harry didn’t quite understand, he found himself quite pleased by this news. “I swear he thinks I’m still a child.”


“You haven’t been a child in a long time,” said Harry.


“Exactly.”


“That doesn’t mean I don’t worry about you or my other friends. I’m pretty sure that if I saw a boggart right now it wouldn’t show a Dementor anymore. It would show you, Ron and Hermione dead. Knowing you’re grown up won’t stop the people who care about you from wanting to protect you,” Harry stated firmly.


Ginny stared, determined not to let Harry know how much his words had surprised her. She knew Harry cared about her; he had, after all, nearly died to save her. However, she was not aware that Harry put her on the same level as Ron and Hermione.


“I need to go while it’s still dark enough to fly. Thanks for your help, Gin, I owe you. I’ll talk to you when I’m on the ground,” said Harry.


“Are you sure you can fly right now? From what you told me you haven’t slept in about 48 hours,” she said, concerned for him.


“I have no choice,” said Harry, his determination strong.


“Good luck.” Ginny smiled.


Harry signalled for the Knight Bus once he was back on the main road and arrived quickly at King’s Cross. Walking into a secluded alley, he quickly pulled his Firebolt from his pocket and resized it before kicking off the ground. Within minutes Harry was flying above the clouds as he followed the train track that led towards Hogwarts. Halfway there, Harry was forced to land as the morning sun rose to take away his only cover. Landing in the middle of a secluded forest, Harry knew he had no choice but to stay awake and alert for Death Eaters, despite his extreme lack of sleep. After informing Ginny he was on the ground, Harry sat down and hurriedly ate the food she had packed for him. Keeping himself awake by reading one of the Defence books Lupin had given him for Christmas, Harry came across what he knew might be a problem in the future – he knew no spells that could be potentially lethal. Although he didn’t like the idea of killing someone, the prophecy had seemingly taken that choice out of his hands.
The sun set and an exhausted Harry kicked off the ground once more, thinking that he should reach Hogwarts later tonight. It was early in the morning when Harry finally landed by the Whomping Willow, pressed the knot at the base of the trunk and crawled into the Shrieking Shack. The house was filthy and had no place to sleep.


“Dobby!” called Harry, unsure if the House Elf could hear his call or not.


“Harry Potter is calling Dobby. What can Dobby do for the hero who freed Dobby from his mean masters?” said Dobby excitedly.


“First off, Dobby, you cannot tell anybody I am here, especially Professor Dumbledore. Can you do that for me?” said Harry.


“Dobby isn’t liking lying to the Headmaster who gave Dobby his job and his pay, but Dobby will do it if that is what Harry Potter requires,” answered Dobby.


“Thank you, Dobby, I knew I could count on you. I will be staying here for the rest of the summer. The first thing I need is for you to bring me a mattress and blankets. Try looking in the Room of Requirement for them,” said Harry. Dobby disappeared with a crack and reappeared with the requested items.


“Now Dobby, while I’m here would you mind bringing me my meals? I’ll also need some help cleaning this place up,” said Harry.


“Dobby would be glad you serve Harry Potter, sir,” said Dobby.


“Good. Now, you should return to Hogwarts before someone realizes you’re missing. I’ll call you if I need anything else. And remember, you are a free elf. If Dumbledore asks you where I am you are under no obligation to answer him,” said Harry.


Dobby returned to Hogwarts and Harry’s body soon reminded him that he hadn’t slept in several days. Fighting back sleep, he pulled out his mirror and said, “Ginny Weasley.”


“Harry, is everything alright?” Ginny asked, appearing in the mirror.


“Yeah. I’m at the shack and Dobby brought me a bed to sleep in. I just thought I’d check in before I went to sleep; who knows how long it will take me to wake up,” said Harry. “Has anyone noticed I’m missing yet?”


“Nope. As far as anyone else knows you’re still with your aunt and uncle,” answered Ginny.


“Good. I want you to tell me when they realize I’m gone; bring the mirror to the Order meeting so that I can listen in,” said Harry.


“Don’t worry, I’ll take care of everything, you just get some rest. By the way, we’re going to the reading of Sirius’ will tomorrow. I’m fairly certain that you’ll be mentioned in it so you should be prepared. I’d imagine somebody will show up at Privet Drive tomorrow morning, so be prepared; your cover could be blown quicker than you planned,” advised Ginny.


"Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.”


Harry said goodbye to Ginny and collapsed on the bed, falling asleep almost immediately. His last thought before sleep overtook him was that all hell was about to break loose.
Sign up to rate and review this story