Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The New Order

Hitting the fan

by UTforever22 1 review

Harry has some harsh words for Dumbledore when the Order learns about Harry's escape.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Dumbledore,Fred,George,Ginny,Harry - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-02-03 - Updated: 2008-02-04 - 6855 words

0Exciting
About 14 hours later Harry was awoken by the sound of Ginny’s voice as she tried to wake him from his slumber.


“Ginny, it’s too early,” said Harry sleepily.


“It’s five o’clock in the afternoon,” said Ginny.


“I assume that the Order now knows I’m missing,” said Harry.


“No. I asked Dumbledore and he said he was going to owl you the information,” answered Ginny. “I don’t think he intends to do that, however. You got most everything. He gave me, Ron and Hermione a few thousand Galleons, as well as my parents for taking care of you. Sirius also legally emancipated you.”


“Why would you think that he wouldn’t really want to owl me though? Why would he want to keep it from me?” asked Harry.


“Because, you now own Grimmauld Place,” answered Ginny.


“Oh really, so I own the headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix do I? We shall see if that information conveniently slips our Headmaster’s mind. Is there anything else I should know about?” asked Harry.


“Yes, Fred and George are in Hogsmeade. They’re looking to buy Zonko’s. You might want to stay hidden until they leave,” informed Ginny.


“Actually, I think I’m going to let them in on this. I can trust them and I need them to get me a few things from Diagon Alley to help me pass the time,” said Harry. “Thanks for your help.”


Harry got under his Invisibility Cloak and walk towards Zonko’s, where he easily spotted the two identical troublemakers. The twins decided, conveniently enough to stop by the Shrieking Shack before heading back to their shop. Seeing that they were a good ways away from anyone who might recognize him Harry silently lifted off his cloak behind Fred and George.

“You do know that it’s not really haunted, don’t you?’ said Harry. The twins jumped and their eyes widened when they saw Harry. Getting over the shock, one of the twins pulled out their wand and pointed it right at the scar on Harry’s forehead.


“Who are you and what have you done with Harry Potter?” asked Fred.


“I am Harry Potter,” said Harry, his hands in the air in surrender.


“Yeah right. We know Harry isn’t allowed to leave his relatives, so you must’ve gone in there and gotten him,” said George.


“I am Harry. Ask me a question only I would know the answer to,” said Harry.


“Fine, how do you open the Marauder’s Map?” asked Fred.


“Tap it with your wand and say “I solemnly swear that I’m up to no good” but that’s not a good question to ask, Wormtail’s a Death Eater,” said Harry.


“Is he really? You mean you know who the Marauder’s are?” asked Fred.


“Fred you idiot, you don’t really think this is him do you? “Harry” What did you give us at the end of your fourth year?” asked George.


“My winnings from the Triwizard Tournament with instructions to start a joke shop,” answered Harry.


“Bloody Hell” said the twins together.


“So, did you buy Zonko’s or will it be safe to leave our Butterbeer’s unattended without fear of temporarily changing color or species?” asked Harry.


“We bought it. The owner’s seemed in a hurry to get out of town, what with Hogsmeade being such a high value target. But never mind that, Harry, what are you doing here? How did you get here and most importantly how do you know who the Marauder’s are?” asked Fred.


“Come inside with me and I will answer all of your questions,” said Harry.


“Are you sure this place is safe Harry?” asked George.


“Yes, like I said, it isn’t really haunted. This is where Remus, AKA Moony, went to transform every month when he was at school,” assured Harry, leading them into the shack.


“You mean all this time we’ve been worshiping a professor and a Death Eater?” said Fred, sounding appalled that one of his idols could have chosen such disgraceful paths.


“Yup, Prongs was Head Boy also,” said Harry, knowing that the twins considered that position to be the most shameful thing one could be. Sure enough, George mock fainted, only to be caught by his partner in crime. “Don’t worry, I think Prongs at least more than made up for it. He did hex Snape at every opportunity.”


“I guess, so have we met any of the Marauder’s besides Moony?” inquired George.


“You’ve met two of the three, or three of the four if you count Wormtail, which I don’t,” said Harry. “The Marauder’s, other than Lupin, were all unregistered Animagi, their nicknames from their forms. Prongs transformed into a Stag, Padfoot into a dog and Wormtail, fittingly enough, into a rat.”


“Wait I second, a dog? You mean…” said Fred


“Yes, Sirius was Padfoot,” answered Harry.


“Harry, isn’t your Patronus a stag?” asked George. Harry had to hand it to the twins. They might not have gotten as many O.W.L.s as some others, but there was no doubt that when they applied themselves to something they were as smart as anybody Harry knew, excepting Hermione, of course.


“And Sirius’s best friend was your dad,” said Fred. Harry nodded.


“So you’re telling us that your…” began George.


“PRONGS JR!” finished the twins together excitedly.


“And you didn’t even tell us?” said Fred, sounding hurt.


“What about Wormtail? You said we’d met him, but I don’t recall meeting any rat Animagi,” said George.


“That’s because you’ve never seen him in his human form; you know him better as Scabbers,” said Harry.


“That rat framed Sirius?” said George.


“And betrayed my parents,” said Harry. “But let’s not talk about him, that’s not why we’re here.”


“And why are you here?” asked Fred.


“And why does it look like you’ve been living here?” continued George.


“Because I am, for now at least. I’ll explain everything as long as you give me your word you will tell no one you spoke with me or saw me and defiantly not where I’m hiding out. The only one who knows what I am about to tell you is Ginny,” said Harry.


“We promise Harry, Marauder’s oath,” responded the twins.


“Good. The night I got back from Hogwarts I ran away from the Dursley’s. I am done blindly following Dumbledore’s orders. I will be my own person from now on, Dumbledore no longer controls my life. He has done so for 15 long years and what has he done for me? He locks me up in a place where I am beaten, starved and overworked and because of his refusal to tell me about a prophecy made before my birth about myself and Voldemort Sirius died,” said Harry.


“Prophecy?” asked Fred.


Harry repeated Trelawney’s word to the twins. He had never seen them look so serious.


“So what The Prophet has been saying is true then?” said Fred.


“I wouldn’t know, I cancelled my subscription to that sorry excuse of a paper,” said Harry.


“They’ve been calling you The Chosen One. Rumors about it have been floating around since the Ministry admitted You-Know-Who was back. People think you’re destined to defeat him,” said George.


“I’m destined to try, that doesn’t mean I’ll succeed,” said Harry.


“What can we help you with?” asked Fred.


“First, if Ginny doesn’t hear from me at least once every 24 hours she is going to contact you because I may be in trouble. I have a two-way mirror that we use to talk since Hedwig would be too identifiable,” said Harry. “What I need you for is this; first, I need you to get some money out of my vault and get me some book on defense as well as Occlumency and Animagus training. Second, I was wandering if you could teach me how to Apparate. I’m too young to do it legally but no doubt it will help me escape Death Eaters and Dumbledore. Do you think you can do that for me?”


“Sure, would you like us to work with you on Apparation right now?” asked George. “We’re free for the day.”


Under the guidance of Fred and George Harry found Apparating to be fairly easy to learn and he had it down by dinnertime, which was good because the twins were expected at the Burrow. Dobby brought Harry his dinner and the boy checked in with Ginny.


“Any news yet?” asked Harry.


“Nope. Ron and Hermione are a bit worried by your silence but no one suspects anything yet. Tonks and Moody are going to check in tomorrow night if no one hears from you,” answered the redhead.


“Well, get ready then. You know Ginny, you’ll be putting yourself on the line by doing this. If you want to back out I’ll understand,” said Harry.


“No Harry, I’m doing this. It’s time you were treated right,” said Ginny.


The next day Harry waited for the inevitable call from Ginny by reading the defense books Fred and George brought him and working on his summer homework. Back at the Burrow the Weasley’s were getting worried. It had been three days since anybody had heard from Harry. At 8 that night Mr. Weasley sent a Patronus to Mad Eye and the ex-Auror responded, saying that he and Lupin were leaving to check on him. When Ginny saw this she made sure to stick close by the Floo in case that was how the news came. She had gone to get a drink and was returning to the sitting room when she saw the head of Remus Lupin in their fireplace conversing with her parents.


“…thought we had come an got him. They found a note in his room saying he left and wouldn’t be back,” said Lupin.


“How long has he been gone?” asked Mr. Weasley.


“He left the night he got there,” answered Lupin.


“Did he run away or was he captured?” asked Mrs. Weasley, dreading the answer either way.


“We don’t know. None of the guards saw him leave but they didn’t see anyone come and get him either,” sighed Lupin. “I need to tell Albus. He’ll check with Severus and see if Voldemort has him.”


“What happened?” asked Ginny, though she already knew.


“Nothing dear, just Order business,” said Mrs. Weasley, trying to hide the tears in her eyes.


“Where’s Harry, what happened to him. You’re not leaving this room until you tell me,” said Ginny.


“Molly, they’re his friends, they should know, they might be able to tell us something,” said Mr. Weasley. “Ginny, go get everyone and we’ll talk in here.”


Once they had gathered the entire family, including Hermione, Mr. Weasley began, “I’ll start with what we know for sure: Harry has not been at Privet Drive since the day he got back from Hogwarts.”


“What do you mean? How is that possible I thought we had people watching his house?” asked Bill.


“Is he alright?” asked Ron.


“We do not know whether or not he ran away or was taken. As you know, Harry needs to be at his relative’s house because of the blood protection that saved him as a child. If Harry did run away he is vulnerable. If any of you know anything you need to tell us before anything does happen to him,” said Mr. Weasley.


“We haven’t heard from him. He didn’t say anything to us,” said Hermione.


“You’re his best friends, you know him better than anybody. If he were to run off where would he go?” asked Mrs. Weasley, desperate for some kind of information.


“The Leaky Cauldron,” said Ginny, trying to lead them off. “That’s where he went the last time he ran away.”


“True, I’ll go check there. Any other ideas?” asked Charlie.


“No, he doesn’t really know anyplace else, he’s only ever really lived here, Hogwarts or Privet Drive,” said Hermione.


No body talked to rest of the night. Bill, Charlie and the Weasley parents went off to search for the missing child with no success. The next night an Order meeting was called. After her parents left for headquarters, Ginny went up stairs, activated the mirror, grabbed the memories Harry had left her and then, with Fred and George, found Ron and Hermione.


“Guys, come with us to Grimmauld Place, we have something to show you,” said Ginny.


“Ginny I want to help to but we can’t, we just have to let the Order deal with this,” said Hermione.


“You’ll want to see this, come on,” said Ginny. The group Floo’d to headquarters and, as no one had been staying there, found the door to the meeting room on charmed. With a sigh, Ginny opened the door.


“Ginny this meeting is for Order members only. Return home this instant,” said Mrs. Weasley.


“I know where Harry is,” said Ginny.


“You what! Where is he, why do you know?” asked Ron.


“I do not intend to tell anybody his location. I spoke to him a couple nights ago. He came to the Burrow and left me a note telling me to meet him at midnight and not to tell anyone. When I went out to meet him…” said Ginny.


“You went there! Ginny, how could you do something so dangerous? What if it had been a trap?” said Mr. Weasley.


“He put information in that note that only he would know,” said Ginny. “As I was saying, I went out to meet him and he told me that he was going to run away and hide someplace until the school year started. He wanted one person to know where he was incase anything happened to him. We have a means by which to communicate immediately. If I do not here from him at least once every 24 hours I am supposed to send help.”


“That was still dangerous, why didn’t you stop him, why didn’t you tell someone,” asked Tonks.


“When I saw Harry, he had a broken nose, a black eye, several cuts around his other eye, a broken rib along with a multitude of bruises all over his body. His cousin Dudley had beat him up, badly, and then his Aunt forced him to clean up his own blood. I was not about to try to make him go back to a place like that,” said Ginny.


“What can you tell me about Harry’s emotional state, Miss Weasley? Did he say anything to you?” asked Dumbledore.


“He is angry. He placed a lot of trust in you and you broke it last year. He is finding it extremely difficult to trust anybody, especially adults right now. He is also desperate to escape the Dursleys. I think he sees them as a kind of symbol of all the suffering he has been put through,” answered Ginny.


“We know where he is also,” said Fred. “He asked us to get him a few books. He is safe and well hidden. We would not have let him stay there if he wasn’t.”


“I was instructed to give these to you, Professor Dumbledore,” said Ginny, handing him the memories. “I only know what one of them is of. Harry wants us to watch them along with the entire Order. I believe you have a Penseive.”


“Yes, I shall return to my office and retrieve it,” said Dumbledore. Ginny could not remember seeing the Headmaster look so old.


“How could he not tell us? We’re his best friends,” said Ron, sounding hurt.


“Because, Ron, you’ve been known to act rash and you’ve never been good at keeping secrets from mum. Hermione, if he had told you, you would have thought he was just grieving and would have told every teacher on the Hogwarts staff,” answered Ginny. Ron and Hermione looked hurt but didn’t deny it.


“I have the Penseive. Let us hope that these memories can give us some kind of insight into how to rectify the situation,” said Dumbledore. The Professor uncorked a vial labeled “watch first” and put it’s silvery contents into the stone basin. With the jab of a wand the silvery material swirled and a small, semi-translucent Harry emerged.


“Good evening friends and Order members. If you are watching this, it means that you have noticed my disappearance. If all is going as I planned, Ginny has given you a series of memories. These will explain why I have made the choice I have. Be warned that I will not take kindly to the use of Legilimency or Veritserum on my friends in an attempt to retrieve my location. In the event that the Order discovers my location I will consider any attempt to bring me back to Privet Drive to be an attack and will act accordingly. I’ll pause now for Professor Snape’s customary sneer,” said Harry.


“Just like his father. He thinks that he can waltz around Britain just because he’s The Chosen One. Any other student would have been expelled from Hogwarts long ago for the kinds of things he does on a regular basis,” said Snape. The room was silent for a few moments.


“Now that our Potion’s Master has gotten his insult in, no doubt involving some incredibly clever combination of my father’s ego, Sirius’s ego, my own ego, my rule breaking or my fame, let us get down to business. About 15 years ago, Professor Dumbledore decided, against the wishes of my legal guardian, to place me in the care of Vernon and Petunia Dursley, the only family I had. When he did so he knew that I would suffer under their care. He knew my aunt and uncle despised magic. Yet still, he put me there. The reason for this was that I was in great danger. The scar on my head might as well be a target. By placing by with the only remaining relative of my mother, whose sacrifice allowed my to survive Voldemorts (the memory Harry paused and rolled his eyes in anticipation of the gasps that accompanied the name) attack he was enacting a rare and powerful protection that would continue until I became of age, as long as I returned to my relative every year. View the memory in the blue vial to find out how I was treated in my time before Hogwarts. When you are watching this keep in mind that I did not know about our world. I had been told that my parents were drunks who died in a car crash. When the memories are finished play the memory in the red vial,” continued the memory Harry. Dumbledore opened the blue vial and the group watched its contents.


Harry was a young boy, about 6, on the playground of the muggle school that he and Dudley attended. Harry sat down under a tree and ate the square of bread Aunt Petunia had given him for lunch. Soon a boy about the same age with sandy-blond hair noticed Harry and sat down. The two introduced themselves and seemed to be getting along well. The bell rang and Harry went back into the school. He was at the door when he looked back and noticed Dudley talking with the other boy. Then, Dudley and his friends pounced on the boy, dragging him out of view. When Harry saw the boy after school, he had several bruises. Harry tried to talk to him, but was told to “stay away from me.”


Harry was about the same age as he watched Dudley great his gang and welcome them into the home. Soon the party decided to play Dudley’s favorite game, Harry Hunting. Harry managed to avoid the gang for almost a half hour, but was caught as he began to tire. Dudley and his friends took turns landing punches and kicks on the prone Harry.


Harry was about 8. Once again he was cornered by the Harry Hunters just outside his cupboard. Dudley went to attack, but this time Harry was too quick and landed a punch on Dudley’s pig-like face, leaving a nice red mark as a bruise began to form. Dudley reacted angrily and landed a punch on Harry, the force of which sent him crashing into the wall.

“What’s this commotion about, I’m trying to watch the news?” asked Uncle Vernon.

“Harry hit me,” said Dudley, pointing at his eye and adding a few tears for good measure.

It was a testament to the treatment Harry received that he didn’t even try to defend himself, he merely looked resigned to his fate.

“Boy! I took you in out of the goodness in my heart and this is what you do to my only son! Go lie on your stomach on the couch; I’m going to beat some kindness into you.

Harry paled and went to the couch as told. Shortly thereafter Vernon entered the room, belt in hand.

Hermione gasped as she realized what was about to happen. Nobody else in the room was familiar with Muggle forms of corporal punishment. There was a collective wince when the first lash was landed, followed by several others. After what felt like ages that particular memory ended.


Harry was only a bit older now, cooking breakfast while his Aunt and Uncle swooned over Dudley, as it was his birthday. Dudley noticed the food rushed over and pushed Harry to the ground, greedily grabbing all of the bacon off of the serving plate on putting it on his own before doing the same with the eggs on the stove. Harry stood back up and went to the refrigerator but was stopped by Aunt Petunia.

“What are you doing,” she hissed.

“Getting some more eggs so I can have breakfast,” answered Harry. Petunia responded with a sound thump on the back of Harry’s head with the frying pan she was washing.

“We can’t afford to have you stealing food off of us like a common beggar. Take this water, then weed the garden and be in your cupboard before Dudley’s friend get here,” said Petunia.

The Order watch as the montage of beatings courtesy of Dudley, Vernon and Petunia played before their eyes. Some of the of female’s in the room were openly crying and Ron thought he saw a tear trickle down Lupin’s cheek as well. Finally, after showing the beating Harry had received prior to his escape as well as his being forced to clean up his own blood, the Penseive swirled to a close. No one in the room could speak, so Dumbledore opened the red vial and played its contents.


“So, assuming you’ve followed my instructions you have just watched the highlights of my life with the Dursley’s and understand why I will not return to them. Professor Dumbledore, I should have run away a long time ago. You say that it was for my safety, but you have proven yourself over the years to be incapable of keeping me safe. While at your school I have survived no less than six attempts on my life. Not only have you kept me locked up in that hellhole of a house all summer, but you have deliberately kept secret information that concerns me and my future. I cannot trust you anymore and I doubt that I will ever be able to do so again. I will return to Hogwarts for the school year and if you would like we can speak there, although I might suggest putting a sticking charm on some of your more valuable belongings, as there will likely be a repeat of my last visit to your office,” said Harry.


“What is he talking about? Keeping secrets? Why would you need to put a sticking charm on your office?” asked Tonks. Before Dumbledore could answer Harry began speaking again.


“You should consider yourself lucky Dumbledore. My childhood has been quite similar to Voldemort’s, and you very easily could have led me down the same path as his, though I much doubt I’d be anywhere near as talented as he ever was. Mrs. Weasley, I know you are no doubt extremely worried and I apologize for that. You have no idea how much I will miss the Burrow this summer, but I am assuming that isn’t an option, as if my location becomes known Dumbledore will us any means he can to return me to Privet Drive. Anyone wishing to contact me can still send me owl post or have Ginny pass along any important, urgent information. Goodbye, I shall see some of you at Hogwarts. Ginny, you can tell Ron and Hermione everything,” said Harry before disappearing.


“Damn it Albus you swore to me that he would be ok there. How could you permit this?” asked Lupin.


“He is safe there. Voldemort cannot touch him. We must find Harry and return him,” said Dumbledore.


“YOU CALL THAT SAFE!” roared Ron. “DID YOU WATCH ANY OF THOSE MEMORIES? DID YOU WATCH HIM AS HIS “FAMILY” BEAT HIM TO A BLOODY PULP? AFTER WHAT WE JUST SAW ALL YOU CAN THINK ABOUT IS FORCING HIM TO GO BACK TO THAT PLACE?”


“Albus, I warned you of this the night we left him on that doorstep. It seems that now our fears have been realized. Mr. Potter will not return to Privet Drive and after what I just saw I cannot say I blame him. As his Head of House it is my duty to look out for him, and I cannot say in good conscience that he should return there,” said Professor McGonagall.


“But we must-” began Dumbledore.


“It is not longer you decision to make,” said Mr. Weasley.


“And out of curiosity, just whose decision is it?” asked Kingsley. “We can sit here and argue all we want, but there has to be someone who has the final say legally.”


“That would be me,” said Harry, standing in the doorway. “It is my understanding that when I became legally emancipated it became my choice. Of course, you would have to actually tell me this before I could make the decision. Tell me, Headmaster, when exactly were you planning on telling me about Sirius’s will?”


“When I felt you were ready,” said Dumbledore.


“You didn’t tell him!” shouted Remus.


“In other words, when I couldn’t use the fact that I am emancipated and the fact that I own the headquarters of the Order to circumvent your control,” said Harry scathingly.


“If Potter’s fan club is finished, Headmaster. Surely, given Potter’s prior record this little stunt is enough to warrant his expulsion. He has been breaking rules left and right since he got here,” said Snape.


“Actually, you’ll find that my little stunt, as you called it, broke no Hogwarts rule nor Ministry laws. Even if it had, however, Professor Dumbledore knows that expulsion is not really an option for me, owing to the Prophecy,” said Harry.


“You told him! As if his ego wasn’t big enough already, now he will go around expecting more special treatment for being the Chosen One. And did you not consider his feeble attempts at Occlumency? You might as well have walked up to the Dark Lord and handed him the prophecy,” said Snape, outraged.


“The prophecy should never have been hidden from me in the first place, Dumbledore had no right to keep it from me,” said Harry accusingly. “Speaking of which, Professor Dumbledore, during our last chat, you did not tell me the name of the Death Eater who was caught having overheard the Prophecy.”


“I do not see how that is important,” said Dumbledore, obviously trying to avoid the question.


“If it is not important than tell me,” responded Harry.


“It is not that simple, Harry,” said Dumbledore.


“Fine, when you’re ready to tell me that Professor Snape is the reason my parents are dead I’ll be willing to listen,” said Harry. Both Professors Dumbledore and Snape had shocked looks on their faces.


“What would lead you to that conclusion?” asked Dumbledore.


“You wouldn’t cover for anybody else,” answered Harry. “Professor Snape, would you care to comment?”


“Yes, Potter, it was I who overheard the Prophecy that night. As you know I was in the Dark Lord’s service at the time. Do you think that kind of information was going to slip my mind?” sneered Snape.


“No, I wouldn’t think so. I would think, however, that you might not be so quick to insult my father when you killed him. Especially since he saved your life. I understand that you believe he merely did that to save his own skin, but he did put himself on the line as well and I think we both know that had the positions been switched you would never have done the same thing for him. Now, please leave. I don’t allow Death Eaters in my house,” said Harry.


“Harry, I trust Professor Snape. I assure you that he is not a Death Eater,” said Dumbledore.


“Ron, what do Quirinus Quirrell, Gilderoy Lockhart and Peter Pettigrew all have in common?” asked Harry. Ron shrugged.


“They actually have two things in common. The first is that they are all murderers. Second is that Dumbledore trusted each of them. So you’ll understand if I don’t just take his word for it when he says someone is trustworthy,” said Harry.


“Harry, to my knowledge Gilderoy Lockhart never took anybody’s life,” said Dumbledore.


“He attempted to stop Ron and myself from saving Ginny. He was going to let her so just so he could explain away our wiped memories by saying that we, and I quote, tragically lost our minds at the sight of her mangled body. In my mind that is no different than if he had tried to kill Ginny himself,” said Harry. “And while we’re on the subject of Lockhart. Why on earth did you hire him when you knew that he got his fame by modifying the memories of the people who actually did those things?”


“I suspected, but I did not know,” said Dumbledore.


“Anyway, as I have seen no evidence that Snape really left Voldemort’s service I will consider him to be a Death Eater,” said Harry.


“And what evidence do you have that he hasn’t left Voldemorts service?” responded Dumbledore.


“You mean other than his complete and utter lack of human decency? How about the fact that he believes in the Death Eaters pureblood ideology, if the memory I viewed in the Penseive is any indication? And then there’s the fact that he demanded I refer to Voldemort as the Dark Lord last year. How about the fact that he deliberately did not teach me Occlumency last year?” said Harry.


“Just because you are incapable of learning Occlumency doesn’t mean that I intentionally mis-taught you, Potter,” argued Snape.


“But the fact that you did not tell me that in order to shield ones mind they must project on image into their mind so that the Legilimens sees that instead of whatever it is they are trying to find does,” said Harry. “Professor Dumbledore, can you really say that you still trust this man after that?”


“Severus, we will discuss this later tonight. Yes Harry, I still trust Professor Snape. As I told you before, I merely over estimated his ability to get past his grudge with your father,” said Dumbledore.


“So you really trust him?” asked Harry.


“Yes.”

“You’re sure?”

“I am.”

“100 percent?”

“Completely.”

“With your life?”

“And the lives of all of my students.”


“Prove it,” challenged Harry. “If you’re so sure he’s trustworthy, why haven’t you given him the Defense job? He’s much more qualified for that position than either Quirrell or Lockhart were. I personally think he would excel at teaching students to defend themselves from the Dark Arts, seeing as he’s a practitioner of them himself.”


“It is much more difficult to find a good Potions teacher than it is to find someone who is skilled in Defense,” answered Dumbledore.


“Very well. Be forewarned, however, that if you turn out to be wrong about Snape and anyone I care about gets hurt as a result, not only will he not live to see Azkaban, but I will use every amount of influence my name carries to ensure that you are removed from your post as Headmaster,” threatened Harry.


“You don’t really mean that,” said Lupin.


“Yes, Professor, I do. With the Dementors on Voldemorts side Azkaban will soon be a joke of a prison. Snape, you can tell this to Tom and all of your other Death Eater friends as well; I am done taking prisoners. I am not saying that I will go around slaughtering Death Eaters left and right, but I will no longer limit myself to non-lethal means to defend myself,” said Harry. “Now, to restate my first point, get out of my house Sinivilus. Professor Dumbledore, you may continue using this house as Order headquarters until you can find and prepare a suitable replacement. I also no longer have any interest in joining the Order. I have lost confidence in your leadership. I will still fight Voldemort, but I will do it out from under your thumb.”


“Harry, you cannot do this alone,” insisted Dumbledore.


“I will not be alone. There will be those who are willing to help me, just as there always have been. I simply will not be bound to follow your every order. I will not sit on the sidelines, I will be a part of this war, just as you know I must,” said Harry.


“Harry why do you insist on fighting this war? You are much too young to be a part of it,” said Mrs. Weasley.


“Because I am, as the prophecy puts it, the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord. I must kill Voldemort or else be killed by him. If you and your family will stay back for a moment I would like to share the full contents with you so that you understand just how much danger your association with me brings you. Remus and Hermione, I’d like you to hear this as well,” said Harry. “As for the rest of you, you now know that I am safe and well protected from Voldemort so I see no reason for this meeting to continue.”


Snape looked furious at the prospect of being dismissed by the son of his nemesis but left with the rest of the Order members.


“Harry, how do you know what that prophecy says? I thought it got smashed at the Ministry?” asked Hermione.


“The official record of it was smashed. But Dumbledore received the prophecy, so he has the memory of it,” said Harry.


“When did you hear it?” said Hermione.


“When I got back to Dumbledore’s office after the Ministry fiasco. He’d had five years to tell me and he waited until it was too late to tell me. The closest thing to a father I’ve ever known died because he wanted to keep a secret from me, a secret that was mine, not his, to keep to begin with,” ranted Harry. “The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...”


“Does that mean what I think it does?” said Bill. “You really have to kill him?”


“I’m afraid so,” answered Harry.


“You poor boy. You have to go and fight that monster. I can’t imagine what you must be going through right now,” cried Mrs. Weasley.


“I’m nowhere near ready, though. I don’t know if I ever will be, but I sure as hell should be more prepared than I am now,” said Harry.


“Harry, you’re the best Defense student in our year, how could you possibly be any more ready?” said Ron.


“That may be true, but I was running for my life when we fought the Death Eaters. If I can barely survive them I can’t expect to have a chance against Voldemort. Had I known I would have made sure I was as ready as possible,” said Harry. “It’s getting late, I should be heading out. Thank you for your understanding. I am sorry to have worried you, but I needed to establish a hideout and let known my reason for escape.”


“Where are you staying? Are you eating well?” asked Mrs. Weasley.


“I am staying in the Shrieking Shack right now, and I can honestly say that I am eating better than I ever did at the Dursley’s. Dobby has been taking good care of me,” said Harry.


“Do I want to know how you managed to travel all the way from Hogsmeade to here in a reasonable amount of time?” asked Mr. Weasley.


“Probably not,” answered Harry.


“Well, you’ve certainly thought this through,” said Lupin.


“Harry, you own this place, why are you still going to live in the Shrieking Shack?” asked Ron.


“I don’t think I could stand being here,” said Harry. “It’s hard enough being in the shack.”


“Well, I expect you over at the Burrow for dinner at least three times a week,” said Mrs. Weasley. “When Bill gets the wards prepared you will move in with us. I’ll deal with Dumbledore if it comes to it.”


“I suppose I could do that. I’d probably be driven insane if I had to go all summer pretty much shut out from everybody,” said Harry. “At least I’ll have the twins nearby soon, though I’ll have to sleep with one eye open with those two around.”


“Prank the son of our hero, our biggest investor. Would we do such a thing?” said George.


“Not if you know what’s good for you,” said Harry. “Before I head out, Mr. Weasley, could I talk with you and Professor Lupin in private?”


The rest of the family left, leaving the three men alone in the house.


“Mr. Weasley, I was wondering if it would be possible to get wavers for Ron, Ginny, Hermione and myself allowing us to do magic outside of school?” asked Harry.


“Harry, you became legally able to do magic when you were emancipated. Why would you ask for wavers for the others?” said Mr. Weasley.


“As you know, I am probably on the top of Voldemort’s hit list. This means that anyone who is close to me is a target, as Voldemort knows that I would go to any lengths to save those closest to me. Not only that, but each year I have been involved in some kind of fight or mission, usually involving Voldemort in some way. Each of these times, with the exception of the dual with Voldemort at the end of my fourth year, Ron and Hermione have insisted on being at my side, and now I am certain that Ginny would as well,” said Harry. “They all held their own at the Ministry, but I would feel much better if Professor Lupin or some other willing advisor could teach them over the summer.”


“I’ll see what I can do,” said Mr. Weasley. “Mafalda Hopkirk is usually pretty reluctant to grant wavers. You may end up having to meet with her personally.”


“I suppose I’ll do it if it comes to that,” said Harry. “Professor Lupin, if we can manage to get the wavers would you be willing to teach us?”


“First, cut this Professor crap, I haven’t been your professor in three years. Second, I would be glad to teach you four again,” said Lupin.


“Thank you. I suppose I’d best be off, Ginny knows how to contact me if necessary,” said Harry. The older men disapparated to their respective homes. Harry took a look around Sirius’s old house and felt grief overcome him. That grief was soon replaced by anger and determination. Harry didn’t believe he could survive the war, but he was going to take Voldemort down with him if at all possible.
Sign up to rate and review this story