Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The New Order

Wavers and Worries

by UTforever22 1 review

Harry has an internal debate.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: Arthur Weasley,Dumbledore,Ginny,Harry,Hermione,Ron - Published: 2008-02-03 - Updated: 2008-02-04 - 3996 words

1TrainWreck
Harry spent the next few days helping Fred and George get their Hogsmeade store ready and practicing defense with the twins in his spare time. Five days after confronting the Order, he received an official looking owl from the Ministry of Magic.


Dear Mr. Potter,

I request your presence in my office at 12 pm tomorrow to discuss your wish to have Mr. Ronald Weasley, Miss Genevra Weasley and Miss Hermione Granger given special permission to perform magic underage.


Mafalda Hopkirk
Improper Use of Magic Office.



Harry was apprehensive about this meeting for more than one reason. First, he did not know what kind of reception he could expect from the Ministry given his history with them last year. Fudge was working on damage control, trying desperately to keep his job as Minister, and was still trying to undermine Harry and Dumbledore, though with minimal success. More importantly, however, was that this would be the first time he was at the Ministry since Sirius died.


Hopkirk’s letter was followed by a very uneasy night of sleep. Harry was plagued with dreams. Sometimes he was forced to re-watch Sirius fall through to veil as Bellatrix Lestrange cheered triumphantly. Other times it was Ron or Hermione meeting their demise instead. Most often, however, it was Ginny who fell through. Harry wondered why this was and why those images affected him more than the others and then began contemplating the girl who had made his escape possible. Harry wrestled with his mind for a while during this train of thought and soon found himself forced to admit that his feelings for Ginny were definitely not platonic, nor were they brotherly. Ginny was certainly more than Ron’s little sister. When Harry wasn’t looking, she had grown into a confidant, fiery and quite attractive young witch.


“She’s also Ron’s sister,” reminded Harry’s conscience.

“And?”

“And he’d clobber you and feed you to Fluffy if you so much as held Ginny’s hand.”

“What would be so wrong about me dating Ginny?”

“Does the phrase Six Brothers mean anything to you?”

“Percy doesn’t count and the others are all too afraid of Ginny to do anything.”

“Do you really think you’re good enough for her?”

“No, but she could do worse.”

“She’s over you. Don’t you remember what Hermione said last year?”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.”


His internal debate rendering sleep a lost cause, Harry climbed out of bed and busied himself with his summer homework. He had managed to finish most of it, though he had been deliberately putting off his potions work, as he knew that Snape only allowed students with an O on their potions O.W.L into his class. He had considered not even doing the work at all, but decided to get it done anyway on the off chance he actually did make it into Snape’s class. He knew he hadn’t done horribly on the O.W.L, though he highly doubted he scraped out an O. Opening one of his advanced Potions textbooks Harry glanced over the section on Polyjuice potion, not really intended to read it, having had practical experience with that potion. However, a footnote on the bottom of the page caught Harry’s eye.


Note that when Basilisk Skin is used in place of Boomslang Skin the potion’s effects last for 24 hours instead of the regular one. This is not widely known or used, due to the great danger in acquiring Basilisk Skin.


Harry’s thought about the Basilisk he had slain his second year. He assumed that its corpse was still in the Chamber, as only he and Voldemort were able to speak Parselmouth and get to it. He had never really considered the serpent’s body before, but now he began to wonder just how valuable the body might be. Vowing to do more research later, Harry put his book away and left to Floo to the Ministry. After submitting his wand to be checked, Harry took the lift and entered the Department of Underage Magic, all the while ignoring the stares and points that followed him.


“Excuse me, I have a meeting with Mafalda Hopkirk,” said Harry to the secretary outside a hallway that looked to lead to several offices. The secretary’s eyes flicked to Harry’s forehead and stayed there until he gave an annoyed clearing of the throat, at which point she directed him to the corner office.


“Come in,” said a voice as Harry knocked on the office door. Harry opened the door and saw a very proper witch of about 70 sitting behind a very organized and large wooden desk.


“You must be Mr. Potter. I’m Mafalda Hopkirk, please have a seat,” greeted the witch. “Now, Arthur Weasley tells me that you wish for me to allow three of your friends to perform magic over the summer. Why, do you think they should have their restrictions waved?”


“Well, Voldemort is determined to kill me, as you’ve probably inferred. This means that Voldemort will attempt to use those close to me to lure me into a trap, just as he did last year,” began Harry.


“As I believe you pointed out in your hearing last year, underage witches and wizards are allowed to use magic to protect themselves in an emergency. They would not need a waver for that,” said Hopkirk.


“Well, that’s true. But three students against rabid Death Eaters hardly seems to be a fair fight. The purpose of the waver would be so that they could get some practical training in Defense, which would even the battleground somewhat,” said Harry.


“And who would train them?” asked Hopkirk.


“Remus Lupin has agreed to train us,” answered Harry.


“The Werewolf?” said Hopkirk.


“The best Defense teacher I’ve ever had,” said Harry sharply. “It is because of him that I have been able to produce a Patronus since the end of my third year.”


“Really? And Mr. Lupin taught you how to do that? Most impressive,” said Hopkirk. “What can you tell me about your three friends? Do you honestly feel they would be responsible enough with this privilege?”


“Absolutely. Hermione Granger, apart from being the brightest witch I have ever met, has one of the strongest senses of right and wrong you will find. Three years ago the Ministry found her responsible enough to use a time turner so that she could take extra classes,” said Harry.


“Ah yes, I thought I had read that name somewhere. So, Miss Granger is certainly responsible enough, what about the two Weasleys?” asked Hopkirk.


“Well, for one, there is Molly Weasley, who I know would never allow her children to abuse the privilege. She doesn’t even allow Fred and George, who are her sons and are both of age, to use magic in her house. Both of their parents make sure their children act responsibly,” said Harry.


“Going back to the purpose of the waver, you believe that You-Know-Who will attack these students in an attempt to get to you. What evidence is there to support such a claim?” asked Hopkirk.


“Well, he has already once used Ginny Weasley to lure me into the Chamber of Secrets, and we have grown considerably closer since then. Voldemort knows very well that I would die for any one of my friends. I believe Hermione called it my ‘saving people thing,” answered Harry.


“Very well. There does seem to be cause for concern. I will grant the wavers. I would, however, appreciate it if you could have one of your Professors send me a letter on your behalf, just so I could have one on record,” said Hopkirk. “Should I owl these letters or would you like to deliver them personally?”


“I’ll deliver them personally. I’m expected over there for dinner anyway,” said Harry.


Harry took the documents and entered the lift, intending to head over to the Burrow to deliver the news. As he stepped on, however, he found himself looking at the smiling face of Arthur Weasley.


“Harry, I was just going up to see how things went. Did you get the wavers?” asked Mr. Weasley


“Yep. I was just about to go off and deliver the news,” said Harry.


“Excellent. Before you go I want to give you this, it is the emancipation paper that came with Sirius’s will. You’re entitled to all of the rights award to a wizard once they turn 17. I expect you’ll want to get your Apparation License. Just show this to anybody who questions you,” said Mr. Weasley, handing Harry a folded up sheet of paper. Harry detoured, heading for the testing center. He showed the tester the paper and easily passed. Harry was handed his license and was about to leave when a very hassled Cornelius Fudge burst in.


“What is the meaning of this? What are you doing here Potter?” demanded Fudge. The entire room stood silent as Harry turned to face the Minister.


“I am merely here to get my Apparation License, Minister,” said Harry calmly.


“You are not of age,” said Fudge.


“As far as the law is concerned I am. As per the will of my late Godfather I am now legally emancipated,” said Harry, handing the Minister the document.


Fudge scanned the document. “That will is not valid. As a fugitive from the law your Godfather had no right to emancipate you.”


“Do you really want to fight me on that?” said Harry dangerously.


“I will not have you running around here undermining my authority and breaking the law right under my nose,” insisted Fudge.


“By all means take this matter all the way to the Wizengamot. Tell them how you imprisoned an innocent man of 13 years without a trial. Tell them how I told you that Sirius Black was innocent, that I had seen the real murderer with my own eyes before he escape justice once again. Tell them how you took the word of a man who was known to have been a Death Eater at one point, who was widely known to have had a personal vendetta against Sirius Black, over the word of three students with no prior bias against him,” said Harry.


“I’d like to see you prove that cock and bull story,” snorted Fudge.


“Try me. I can offer irrefutable evidence of my claims,” dared Harry. “You’re just barely hanging on to your office as it is. If you push me on this your administration will be finished by the end of the week.”


Fudge sputtered, obviously shocked by Harry’s actions. Harry could see the wheels turning in the Ministers mind.


“Right, well, I suppose this document is valid enough,” said Fudge, obviously not wanting to press Harry any further.


Harry left for the Burrow with several hours to spare before dinner.


“Harry, how are you doing dear?” asked Mrs. Weasley.


“Never better,” answered Harry. “I got the wavers.”


“That’s wonderful. Are you planning on holding training sessions in the Shrieking Shack?” said Mrs. Weasley.


“That seems like the best place. I figure the others can just Floo to Fred and George’s shop and walk from there,” said Harry.


Harry left the kitchen and went outside to watch as Ginny tested Ron’s skills at keeper. Harry’s gaze was locked on Ginny as she gloated after scoring on her brother.


“Harry, you’re here early,” said Hermione from behind.


“What, oh, hey Hermione. I just got back from the Ministry ,” said Harry absent mindedly.


“What were you doing there?” asked Hermione.


“Getting my Aparation license, among other things,” said Harry, never taking his eyes off of the girl above him.


“Other things? What other things?” asked Hermione.


“It’s a surprise. I’ll tell you all once those two comeback down,” said Harry.


“Something caught your interest up there?” asked Hermione with a smile.


“Just looking to see if Ginny would make a good Chaser. As well as she flew last year we should to find somewhere to put her, assuming my lifetime ban gets lifted,” said Harry.


“I see,” said Hermione, her tone leaving no doubt that she didn’t believe him.


“I have news for you. You all are going to worship me like a god,” said Harry once Ron and Ginny landed.


“So modest,” said Ginny.


“Hey, is that anyway to talk to the man who got your Underage Magic restrictions lifted?” said Harry.


“WHAT!” chorused Hermione, Ron and Ginny.


“What did you do that for, they almost never give those wavers out?” said Hermione.


“You are targets now. Voldemort will try to use you to get to me. Lupin has agreed to work with us over the summer to help get us trained incase we’re attacked,” said Harry.


“So we can do magic?” said Ron excitedly.


“Yep. I need to go up to Hogwarts tomorrow and get a teacher to send a letter on our behalf, but as of this afternoon we can do magic,” confirmed Harry.


Ron and Ginny went to change out of their grimy Quidditch clothes as Harry and Hermione sat in the living room.


“Hey, Hermione, how much do you think a Basilisk corpse would be worth. I mean, parts of them can be used in potions right?” asked Harry.


“Well, they are very rare. Most potion makers don’t consider them worth the trouble. I imagine you could get a pretty good fortune for it. Why do you bring that up after all this time?” said Hermione.


“Well, it’s just that, I’m thinking about cleaning up the Chamber of Secrets, make it a place to escape to, and I figured I might as well put that snake to some use,” said Harry.


“But isn’t it big? From what I’ve heard it could take several days to take care of the Basilisk alone, much less clean up the entire Chamber,” said Hermione.


“Big is an understatement. That thing is about 50 feet long and at least three feet in diameter. I suppose I could get some help though, make it go quicker,” said Harry.


“Are you sure that Dumbledore will allow you to do this? It is technically school property,” asked Hermione.


“I’m sure I can get him to see things may way. Besides, he needs my help before he decides to do anything with that Chamber, seeing as I’m the only one who can let him in,” said Harry. “I’m going up to Hogwarts tomorrow. I’ll see if I can at least get started then so that I can get it done by the time school starts back up.”


The family had sat down for dinner when Harry’s scar burned painfully. He fell out of his chair, clutching his forehead as he was forced to relive the Department of Mysteries. Suddenly, Harry realized what Voldemort was after. He concentrated with all of his might on a useless childhood memory involving cooking for his relatives, but it was no use. Then, Harry remembered how he had been possessed by Voldemort at the end of the battle. It had been his heart that saved him then, according to Dumbledore. Voldemort could not stand to be in a body that had so much love in it. When Harry thought about Sirius, Voldemort had been forced out of his mind. Thinking that this might work now as well, Harry began to concentrate on his friends. He remembered meeting Ron and Hermione on the Hogwarts Express six years ago. He remembered the small red-headed girl who shad chased after the train. As Harry began focusing his mind on Ginny the pain in his scar began to recede until finally Voldemort was once again forced from his mind. Harry opened his eyes to see the entire family at his side.


“Are you alright, Haryy? Did you have another vision?” asked Bill.


“No, this wasn’t a vision, Voldemort was trying to get the prophecy,” answered Harry.


“Have you been practicing your Occulmency?” said Hermione.


“Yes, but I don’t need it to keep Voldemort out of my mind,” said Harry.


“How could you shield your mind without Occulmency?” asked Hermione.


“Voldemort has weaknesses just like anybody else, and I think I’ve found a way to use his biggest weakness to keep him from taking advantage of our link,” answered Harry, hoping Hermione wouldn’t push him into saying what, or rather who he had used to get Voldemort out of his mind. Hermione seemed to take the hint and dropped the subject.


Harry spoke with Ron and the twins after dinner, and they all agreed to help Harry with the Basilisk the next day. Harry then found Bill and Charlie, who were sitting out by the shed listening to the Cannons lose once again.


“Hey guys, if you aren’t doing anything tomorrow I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind helping me fix up the Chamber of Secrets tomorrow. I’ve got Ron and the twins going with me also. The part that’s going to take the longest will be cutting up the Basilisk,” said Harry.


“Sure, I’m in,” said Charlie.


“I’m not doing anything tomorrow, I suppose I could give you a hand,” agreed Bill.


“Give him a hand with what tomorrow?” asked Ginny.


“Oh, um, nothing Ginny. Your brothers are just going to help me with a little project tomorrow,” said Harry evasively.


“What kind of project, Harry? What aren’t you telling me?” said Ginny.


“I’m going to fix up the Chamber of Secrets,” answered Harry. “Your brothers all agreed to help me cut up the Basilisk so I can sell it.”


“I think that’s a great idea. The Chamber could be a place for you to get away when you need to. I want to help,” said Ginny.


“Ginny, are you sure?” said Harry.


“Yes, I want to see it again anyway, just for some closure,” said Ginny. Harry looked at Bill and Charlie for objections but found none, so he reluctantly agreed to allow Ginny to accompany him.


The next day Harry took the tunnel in the Shrieking Shack to Hogwarts and entered the castle, approaching the stone Gargoyle that guarded the Headmaster’s office.


“Um, Acid Pops, Lemon Drops, Chocolate Frogs,” guessed Harry. “Fizzing Whizbees.”


At this last guess the Gargoyle moved out of the way and Harry ascended the spiral staircase.


“Enter,” came Dumbledore’s voice from the other side of the door when Harry knocked. Harry opened the door and saw Professor’s Dumbledore and Snape.


“What are you doing here Potter? Leave the castle immediately. Chosen One or not you are not permitted to be on the grounds until September 1st,” said Snape.


“I apologize for coming unannounced. I figure that it is best to keep my travels as secret as possible, lest an owl drop into the wrong hands,” explained Harry.


“A wise decision. I believe I know a certain Auror who would be pleased by your constant vigilance,” said Dumbledore. “So, to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?”


“I have a few things I’d like to discuss with you, actually. First, it might interest you to know that Voldemort entered my mind yesterday in an attempt to retrieve the prophecy,” informed Harry.


“I told you this would happen, Headmaster. Potter’s mind is an open book to the Dark Lord, he cannot be trusted with vital information,” said Snape.


“I said attempted to retrieve. I was able to force him out of my mind,” said Harry.


“Impossible,” insisted Snape.


“Actually it is quite possible. Professor Dumbledore can tell you that I was able to force him out of my mind at the Ministry a few weeks back,” corrected Harry.


“Yes, Voldemort was unable to take control of your mind. Would I be correct in assuming that you used a similar method to repel this invasion?” said Dumbledore.


“Yes, you would be. The second reason I am here is because I have obtained permission for Ron, Hermione and Ginny to do magic so that Remus can train us in Defense over the summer. Mafalda Hopkirk has requested that a teacher write her a letter saying that such a waver is needed and that they will use the permission responsibly,” said Harry.


“Very well, I will write Mafalda,” said Dumbledore. Snape’s lips moved, but strangely no sound came out. Harry was sure that Dumbledore deliberately looked away while Harry placed his wand back into his robes.


“Is there anything else?” asked Dumbledore.


“Just one more thing, sir. I would like your permission the retrieve the Basilisk from the Chamber of Secrets. I plan on making the Chamber a kind of secret hideout for when I need sometime to myself,” said Harry.


“That snake is school property. It should be added to the school’s potion stores,” argued Snape.


“I will not allow it to go to the school’s potion stores because it would not be used properly. You refuse to teach your students fairly, you punish students unfairly and I will not be a party to that,” said Harry.


“You have no right to the Basilisk,” said Snape.


“I have every right to the Basilisk. I nearly died killing it. If it weren’t for me it could still crawl the walls of Hogwarts. And no one can retrieve it without my permission,” said Harry.


“I agree, Harry, you have earned the right to have possession of the Basilisk,” said Dumbledore with a tone of finality that informed Snape that he would here no further argument on the subject.


Harry then finished up his chat with Dumbledore and a furious Snape before heading to the Burrow to get the Weasley children and Hermione, who had decided to help as well. The group Apparated to Hogsmeade with their brooms before walking to the castle. Ron, Fred, George, Bill and Charlie began cutting up the Basilisk while Ginny, Harry and Hermione started cleaning up the Chamber. Ginny seemed determined to transform the Chamber from the dark, soulless place it had been into a relaxing private living space. She had cast several paint charms so that the walls were now Gryffindor red, and several Lighting Charms had been placed so that it was no longer dim. By dinnertime, Harry found it hard to associate the new Chamber with the old one. The next day, Harry and Ginny moved some furniture into the Chamber, finishing the transformation. Harry sold the Basilisk to the Apothecary in Diagon Alley. He had been surprised to discover just how valuable the snake’s body was. Hermione had said that the snake would be worth a fortune, but he had not expected it to double his inheritance from his father.


Over the next few weeks Harry found himself focusing on two things, his training with Lupin, and Ginny. Should he ask her out? Would she say yes? How would Ron react? If Ginny said no would they be able to at least continue their friendship, or would it be too awkward? What about Voldemort? Was it worth the risk of making her a more valuable target? Harry was certain that not even Voldemort had even made him this scared. But still, something felt right when he was in Ginny’s presence; something made it impossible for him to regret his feelings for her. Harry knew that he could not ignore his feelings forever, and they certainly didn’t seem to go be going away anytime soon. However, he had almost everything to lose. He was risking his friendship with Ron, as well as the rest of the Weasleys, who had always thought of him as one of their own. His debate unsettled, Harry groaned, rolled over and punched his pillow, waiting out another sleepless night.
Sign up to rate and review this story