Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The New Order

Return to the Burrow

by UTforever22 0 reviews

Harry leaves for the Burrow.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: Arthur Weasley,Bill Weasley,Fred,George,Ginny,Harry - Published: 2008-02-03 - Updated: 2008-02-04 - 3422 words

0TrainWreck
The Burrow is ready. You’re coming over today after our lessons with Lupin,” informed Ginny as she led Ron and Hermione into the Shrieking Shack.


“I hope getting the wards up early wasn’t too much of a hassle. I don’t usually head over there until after my birthday,” said Harry.


“It was no hassle, mate. Mum’s been in a right state since she saw those memories of yours. Wouldn’t let Bill rest until he got them up,” said Ron.


“It’s not as though he had anything better to do,” said Ginny.


Remus arrived and the ex-professor taught the teens the Bludgeoning Hex, Anosteo, which they practiced on blocks of stone, as it was too dangerous to try on each other. Then the students paired off and began to duel. Harry could beat Ron and Hermione relatively easily; his naturally good reflexes and agility had only been improved by several years of Quiditch. However, Ginny was almost as good of a Seeker as Harry was, and her reflexes were just as good as his. Harry still had an advantage due to his experience, but it was only a slight one and he just won only a slim majority of their duels.


“She’d be good for you,” commented Lupin after Ron, Ginny and Hermione had left for Fred and George’s shop.


“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” said Harry, feigning ignorance.


“Oh come off it, Harry. I’ve noticed the looks you’re giving Ginny when you think no one is looking,” said Lupin.


“ Is it that obvious?” groaned Harry.


“Yes. Although I should have been expecting it to happen sooner or later. Potters always go for redheads. I think they need someone with a strong enough temper to keep them inline,” said Lupin. “So what’s holding you back?”


“You mean aside the fact that she has six brothers, everyone of which, except maybe Percy, could beat me to within an inch of my life and feed me to one of Hagrid’s pets?” said Harry.


“Yes, besides that. I’m sure her brothers can think of no one better for their sister,” said the Werewolf.


“True. I suppose I don’t really have much to worry about. They’re all too afraid of Ginny to do anything to me anyway. That’s not the main problem,” said Harry.


“What is? Does she have a boyfriend?” asked Remus.


“As far as I know she isn’t dating anyone. The main issue is Voldemort. Ginny’s an inviting enough target as it is. I can’t put her in any more danger,” said Harry.


“A word of advice from an old man. Never let anything stand between you and the one’s you want to be with,” said Lupin.


“I can’t do that. If Voldemort went after her because she was dating me I’d never be able to live with myself,” said Harry.


“As you said, she is already a lucrative target. Would you feel better if Voldemort went after her and you hadn’t told her how you felt than if he went after her and you had told her?” asked Lupin.


“I suppose I would feel worse if I hadn’t,” conceded Harry.


“Then do it,” said Lupin.


“I guess you’re right,” said Harry. “Now all I have to do is find the courage to ask her.”


Harry went to the Burrow in time for an impromptu Quidditch game before dinner. Feeling several pounds heavier, Harry went with the rest of the family into the living room where they played chess and exploding snap before being sent to bed by Mrs. Weasley. Harry got up the next morning hoping to for a chance to talk to Ginny alone. However, luck did not seem to be on his side. Ginny and Ron had to de-gnome to garden and Mr. Weasley had asked him and Hermione to help him organize his shed of various muggle artifacts (which involved explaining the different muggle contraptions more than it did actual organizing). They finished before Ginny and Ron, Harry went up to the room he shared with Ron and began one of the new defense books the twins had gotten him during his stay in Hogsmeade.


“Harry, Mrs. Weasley says to come down for lunch,” said Hermione.


Harry went down for lunch. As they finished lunch the Harry noticed Ginny head towards the Quidditch pitch, where she had been practicing for the upcoming season. Seeing an opportunity, Harry waited a second before going in the same direction.


“Need some company?” asked Harry.


“Sure,” said Ginny, handing Harry his Firebolt from the shed.


“Hey, can I talk to you something?” said Harry.


“What’s on your mind?” said Ginny.


“Well, um, this is kind of hard to say. I’ve been-” began Harry, only to be interrupted by Ron.


“Hey, don’t start without me,” yelled the older redhead, unaware he had interrupted anything.


“Is something wrong?” asked Ginny.


“Um, no, not really. Ask me later,” said Harry, though he muttered an expletive under his breath.


After Quidditch they washed up for dinner. Harry was hoping that he would get a chance to speak with Ginny afterwards, but the family stayed together while Fred and George demonstrated their latest inventions. One by one the inhabitants of the Burrow turned in for the night until it was only Harry and Hermione awake.


“Maybe it’s for the best,” sighed Harry to himself, Hermioine was hidden behind a rather large book and he had forgotten she was even there.


“What’s for the best?” said Hermione.


“Nothing,” answered Harry quickly.


“Nothing wouldn’t happen to have red hair and be the younger sister of your best friend would it?” said Hermione.


“You and Lupin both,” said Harry. “I tried all day to get a chance to talk to her alone but something always came up.”


“I noticed,” said Hermione. “Why would you think that it was for the best?”


“She’d say no and I’d just look like an idiot,” explained Harry.


“What makes you think that?” asked Hermione.


“You’re the one who said she was over me,” said Harry.


“She got over her crush on The-Boy-Who-Lived,” clarified Hermione. “She was enthralled by the boy she read about in her storybooks as a child. I wouldn’t be surprised if, now that she has gotten to know the real you, her feelings had become deeper because you became more real to her.”


“But how do I know if her feelings are deeper? How do I know that she doesn’t simply think of me as a friend?” said Harry.


“You just have to put yourself out there. Take a risk,” said Hermione. “You didn’t know what was through the trap door first year, but did that stop you from jumping in?”


“I think facing Fluffy’s a walk in the park compared this,” groaned Harry.


“Honestly, boys are so stupid. You’re willing to fly straight towards to ground at 200 kilometers per hour just to catch a ball and win a silly game, but the idea of having a mature conversation about your feelings has you scared out of your wits,” said Hermione. “You are going to talk to her about this tomorrow, no backing out. I’ll keep Ron distracted to give you two some time alone.”


“Are you sure Voldemort isn’t free tomorrow?” said Harry.


“Nope, he’s all booked,” said Hermione.


“You know, I really should go spend some time with Grawp,” said Harry.


“Coward,” responded Hermione.


“Maybe I can just ask Wormtail to tea then,” said Harry.


“You’re not getting yourself killed tomorrow,” said Hermione.


“Hey, do you guys want to go for a swim?” asked Ron the next morning.


“I’m in,” said Ginny.


“Sure,” agreed Harry.


“Did you finish your homework, Ron?” asked Hermione.


“Um, no, we’ve got one and a half months before it needs to be done,” said Ron.


“You told me you would finish it early. With our lessons with Lupin your not going to have a lot of time on your hands to finish,” chided Hermione.


“I’ll work on it when we’re done swimming,” said Ron.


“No you won’t. You’ll just find a way to procrastinate more,” said Hermione. “Harry and Ginny, you two head down to pond. Ron won’t be swimming until he gets his work done.”


“Oh, that’s ok, if you two aren’t going then I don’t have to,” said Harry.


“No, go ahead,” said Hermione, mouthing “now” to Harry as Ron sulked, not paying attention.


Harry and Ginny left to get changed and then met up at the pond.


“So what were you trying to talk to me about yesterday?” asked Ginny as she stepped into the water.


“Oh, um, right. Well um, I’ve been thinking a lot and, well um, we’ve gotten a lot closer over the past few weeks,” began Harry.


“Yes,” said Ginny.


“Well, um, when you told me you weren’t with Dean, for some reason I was really happy, I just didn’t understand why,” continued Harry.


“Oh, go on,” encouraged Ginny.


“And then, in the Shack the night before I had to go to the Ministry to get my Apparation License and meet with Malafa Hopkirk I was having nightmares where I would watch all my friends fall through the veil. But I found that I was bothered more by the dreams in which it was you dying,” said Harry.


“I’m not sure I understand where you’re going with this,” said Ginny.


“I’m falling for you,” said Harry. “I know that you’re over that crush that you used to have on me so I don’t expect you to return the same feelings, I just needed to tell you to get it off of my chest.”


“Boys really are stupid,” laughed Ginny. Seeing Harry’s hurt and confused look she continued, “I never got over you, I gave up on you.”


“You mean that you feel the same way?” said Harry hopefully. “Will you be my girlfriend?” Ginny pulled Harry in and kissed him soundly on the lips.


“Does that answer your question?” said Ginny.


“Hm, I’m not quite sure I caught your response, I may need you to repeat it,” grinned Harry. Ginny was more than happy to repeat her answer. Unfortunately, in the middle of their clarification the teens were interrupted by two very identical and very unwelcome voices.


“What’s this Gred?” asked George.


“Well, Forge, it seems there are two possible explanations. Perhaps the Chosen One was drowning and our dear sister is performing mouth to mouth so as to save his life,” mock theorized Fred.


“But there are spells for that. And as our sister was graced with a permit she wouldn’t have to worry about breaking any laws,” said George.


“Very true, my devilishly handsome brother. That leaves us with the second possibility,” said Fred.


“Do tell,” said George.


“Well, it appears that Harrikins is kissing our baby sister,” said Fred.


Harry had heard the twins and tried to pull away, but Ginny grabbed and handful of hair in the back of his head and held him in place, determined not to let the twins ruin this moment for her.


“Fred, George, shouldn’t you be at the shop?” said Harry nervously.


“We thought we’d drop in for lunch, maybe spend some time with our favorite sister,” said George.


“How very…brotherly of you,” said Harry.


“Indeed. Now, what exactly do you think you were doing with our sister?” said Fred.


“We were kissing and have a good time of it before you two came barging in,” said Ginny.


“Listen, guys, I’m sorry if you have problem with me dating Ginny, but I’m not backing down on this one,” said Harry.


“Actually, Harry, we couldn’t be happier. Better you than some other guy,” said George.


“But, this opportunity is simply too good to pass up, don’t you agree George?” said Fred


“Indeed. How often does one walk in and find their baby sister kissing a boy while said boy is living in a house filled with several of said sister’s brothers?” agreed George.


The twins looked at each other and seemed to communicate silently. Eventually wicked grins came across their faces and they Apparated away, leaving Harry very nervous.


“Of all the people to find us,” said Harry.


“Yeah, we’ll hear about this alright,” said Ginny.


“I’m going to talk with your parents when we get back inside. When do you want to tell everyone else?” asked Harry.


“Let’s shoot for after dinner,” said Ginny.


“Preferably some place with a lot of witnesses and escape routes,” added Harry.


“You’ll be fine. My family all loves you,” assured Ginny.


“Um, Gin, what about when we get to Hogwarts. Do you want to keep this secret their?” said Harry.


“Why? Are you afraid to be seen with me?” asked Ginny harshly.


“It’s not that, I promise. It’s just that, you’re a big enough target as it is; this would make you even more valuable. Not to mention what the Prophet might say. I’m not saying I want to keep it secret; I just wanted you to have that option,” said Harry.


“No. I’ve finally got you, I want to make sure everyone knows it,” said Ginny. “Besides, now that the world knows you’re neither an attention seeking liar nor insane you’re going to be the most sought after guy in school. I want to be able to mark my territory to help hold off the hoards of hormonal girls that are sure to be chasing after you.”


“Please tell me you’re exaggerating,” said Harry.


“Nope, you’re very desirable. I may have to hex a few girls if they get too friendly,” said Ginny.


The new couple went inside and Harry got changed. Waiting in the living room when he got back down stairs was Hermione.


“So?” said Hermione.


“What?” said Harry.


“You know what. Did you talk to her?” said Hermione


“Oh, that. Yes I did tell her,” said Harry, intentionally winding Hermione up.


“And?” pressed Hermione. “How’d it go?”


“She said yes,” said Harry.


“That’s wonderful. I told you this was the right thing to do,” said Hermione.


“Yes, as always you were right,” said Harry. “There’s only one problem.”


“What is it?” asked Hermione.


“Well, Fred and George caught us,” said Harry. “We’re planning on telling the rest of her brothers tonight.”


“If they don’t beat you to it, that is,” said Hermione. Harry went into the kitchen, where Mr. And Mrs. Weasley were cleaning.


“Can I talk to you guys for second?” said Harry uneasily.


“Of course Harry, what’s on your mind?” said Mr. Weasley.


“Um, I’d like your permission to date Ginny. I promise I will take good care of her and treat her right, I’d just like your blessing, since I am living under your roof,” said Harry.


“See Arthur, I told you he was starting to look her way. You said I was just hoping they’d get married,” said Mrs. Weasley. “You have our blessing, Harry.”


“Thank you. You have no idea how much that means to me,” said Harry.


“We’ve considered you a part of this family for years. Perhaps in a few years it will be official,” grinned the Weasley matriarch.


“We only just kissed, don’t scare him away,” said Ginny, entering the kitchen.


“I don’t suppose you’ve told your brothers yet,” said Mr. Weasley.


“Fred and George know. We want to tell the others tonight,” said Ginny.


“Yeah so, it was nice knowing you,” said Harry.


“Oh you’ll be fine, son. I’m sure Ginny will keep them at bay before they can get too rough with you,” assured Mr. Weasley.


Several hours later dinner was served. As it was a full moon, Mad Eye had substituted for Lupin as the kids teacher and was talked into staying to eat.


“So, Harry, did you do anything interesting today?” asked Fred as he handed Harry an opened Butterbeer.


Despite the grins on the twins faces, Harry didn’t stop to think that he should be concerned when the twins offered to refill everybody’s drinks. Harry took a sip of his drink and turned an impressive shade of scarlet.


“Well, it looks like our new invention works,” said George.


“What new invention?” said Harry, hoping that their new product didn’t have anything to do with what the twins had interrupted earlier in the day.


“Kissing Kocktails,” said Fred. “If someone drinks them they will turn red if they have kissed someone in the last 24 hours.”


“Wait a second. Harry hasn’t left the Burrow in the past 24 hours,” said Ron.


“So that means he kissed either Hermione or Ginny,” concluded Charlie.


“So, Harry, who was it?” asked Bill, who Harry was noticing looked as though he had doubled in size since the conversation started.


Harry mumbled something under his breath.


“What was that, Harry? I didn’t catch what you said,” said Fred.


“It was Ginny,” admitted Harry.


“What! And why, exactly would you be kissing my sister?” inquired Ron.


“Why do you think? I know you’ve never kissed anyone before but I’d think even you could figure that one out,” said Ginny.


“So you’re dating,” said Bill.


“Yes, I just asked her out today,” answered Harry.


“Do you care about her? What exactly are your feelings for our sister?” said Charlie.


“Yes, I care about her and would lay down my life for her in an instant. As for my feelings, I cannot describe them, as I have never felt this way about anybody else,” said Harry.


“Good. Just don’t hurt her and we’ll be fine,” said Bill.


“What! That’s it? Just do you care about her and don’t hurt her?” said Ron, outraged. “I don’t approve of any of this.”


“And since when do I need your approval?” snapped Ginny.


“You’re my baby sister,” said Ron.


“Yes, I believe you might have mentioned that before,” said Harry, dryly.


“I don’t know what you’re so upset about. You yourself not so subtly hinted that you wanted them together,” reminded Hermione.


“But what happens when they break up? I don’t want to have to choose between my sister and my best friend,” said Ron.


“I won’t make you choose,” said Harry.


“But I won’t be able to be friends with both of you,” said Ron.


“You don’t know for sure that they will break up,” said Hermione. “If for some reason they do then deal with it when it happens,”


“But they probably will,” said Ron.


“Just because they are young does not necessarily mean things will not work out between them. Your father and I were about their age when we started dating,” said Mrs. Weasley.


“For now, just answer these questions: are you afraid that Harry will mistreat Ginny?” said Mr. Weasley.


“No, he’s a good guy, he would never intentionally hurt someone,” answered Ron.


“Can you name one person you think would be better for Ginny?” continued Mr. Weasley.


“No, I guess not,” said Ron. “Sorry I flew off the handle there, Harry. I just don’t want to lose either of you.”


“No worries,” assured Harry. “So, do I have everyone’s blessing?”


“Yes,” said Bill.


“Of course, that doesn’t mean I won’t feed you to Norbert if you hurt her,” said Charlie.


“Actually, I think you’re mistaken there, Charlie,” said Harry.


“How so?” said the dragon-keeper.


“Have you seen your sister’s temper? If I made her angry there wouldn’t be anything left of me to feed to Norbert,” laughed Harry.


“Well Potter, I hope you learned your lesson,” said Mad Eye.


“What lesson?” asked Harry.


“Never drink something you didn’t see poured or opened,” said the ex Auror. That could have been a Death Eater who put something in your drink. It almost got you killed as it is."


“True. I think I might go ahead and start drinking everything out of a flask like you,” said Harry.


“Constant Vigilance,” reminded Moody.
Sign up to rate and review this story