Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The New Order

The New Order

by UTforever22 1 review

After an attack jn Diagon Alley, harry decides to be more proactive in the fight against Voldemort.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Draco,Dumbledore,Fred,George,Ginny,Harry - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-02-03 - Updated: 2008-02-04 - 3302 words

0TrainWreck
The summer passed without much fanfare. True to Harry’s prediction Azkaban was now a joke of a prison and all the Death Eaters that were captured at the Department of Mysteries had escaped. The Weasleys celebrated Harry’s birthday gifts ranging from joke products courtesy of Fred and George to a Pensieve from the Hogwarts staff (minus a certain potions master). On August 1st the teens Hogwarts letters arrived and with them their O.W.L. results. While Hermione was fretting about how she failed everything and Ron stared at his envelope as though it could bite him, no doubt fearing his mother’s reaction more than his actual results, Harry opened the letter and read:


Ordinary Wizarding Level results:


Student: Harry James Potter


Results:

Defense Against the Dark Arts: O*


Charms: E


Transfiguration: O


Potions: E


History of Magic: T


Astronomy: P


Care of Magical Creatures: E


Herbology: A


Divination: D


Key:
Passing Results:
O-Outstanding, O*- highest score in school history
E- Exceeds Expectations
A- Acceptable

Failing Results:

P-Poor
D-Dreadful
T-Troll, T*- lowest score in school history



“How’d you do, Ron?” asked Harry.


“Alright. Got an O in Defense, passed everything else except History, Astronomy and Divination,” answered Ron.


The group exchanged results; Hermione was the first student to manage O’s on every one of her exams. Ginny was named prefect and as such Mrs. Weasley agreed to get Ginny a new owl so that she did not have to keep using Pig. The next day the teens went shopping for their school supplies. Mrs. Weasley had reluctantly agreed to let the group split up. Ginny and her mother went to pick out her new owl and get her potion supplies while Harry, Ron and Hermione got their books.


“Say Ron, when’s your sister’s birthday?” asked Harry as they passed Quality Quidditch Supplies.


“August 11th,” answered Ron.


“Crap, I didn’t realize it was that soon,” said Harry.


“Good thing you asked. I wouldn’t envy you if you’d missed that. With her temper you’d be toast,” laughed Ron.


“I’m well aware of that, thank you. Why don’t you two go ahead, I’ll meet you in Flourish and Botts,” said Harry.


Harry entered the store and ordered Ginny’s birthday present. Harry then decided to have a look around before finding Ron and Hermione. He was in what he thought was a disserted aisle when he heard someone say “Petrificus Totalis.” Before Harry could react his limbs snapped together and he fell to the ground.


“I told you I would make you pay for landing my father in Azkaban, Potter,” said Draco Malfoy as he disillusioned Harry and levitated him into an unused room in Knockturn Alley. “Crucio.”


Harry couldn’t even scream as the pain filled his immobilized body. After what felt like hours, but was only about 15 minuets, the curse was lifted.



“And now to finish off the Dark Lord’s most prized target. Soon I’ll be his favorite servant,” said Malfoy. “Avada-”


“Expelliarmus,” said another voice. “What do you think you’re doing, Draco?”



“What am I doing? I’m getting our family back in favor with the Dark Lord, mother. What do you think you’re doing saving this half-blood trash?” retorted the younger Malfoy.



“Do not pretend to know what the Dark Lord wants. Do you think he wants you on the run for murder? What good would you be to him then? The Dark Lord wants you at Hogwarts. That is where you are most useful,” said Mrs. Malfoy. “Come, leave Potter and let’s go.”


“Are you crazy? Do you know what the Dark Lord will do if he finds out we had Potter in our grasps and let him live?” said Malfoy.


“Do you know what will happen if the Dark Lord finds out that you violated a direct order of his by killing him? You know that he must be the one to do it. It is not up to you to decide who kills whom,” snapped the elder Malfoy.


Malfoy sulked out of the room. After about an hour Harry managed to break the Body Bind and walked back to Diagon Alley, where he saw the Weasley family meeting up outside Flourish and Botts.


“Harry where the hell were you, we looked everywhere?” said Ginny when she saw Harry approaching them.


“Malfoy tried to make good on his threat from the end of last year,” said Harry. “He put me in a Body Bind and took me to Knockturn Alley. He used the Cruciatus Curse on me and was about to kill me when his mother stopped him.”


“Why would she do that?” asked Ron.


“Because Voldemort wants him at Hogwarts,” said Harry. “He’s more valuable there.”


After finishing his school shopping the family went back to the Burrow. A few hours later Dumbledore visited and asked Harry to recount the events of the day.


“What’s going to happen to Malfoy?” asked Harry when he was done telling his story.


“For right now, nothing,” answered the headmaster.


“What! That brat tortured me and then tried to kill me!” shouted Harry.


“It would be your word against his. That would not be enough to convict Mr. Malfoy, especially while Cornelius Fudge is Minister. The name Malfoy still holds some sway with him,” said Dumbledore.


“But surely you’re not letting him come back to Hogwarts? He’s working for Voldemort,” said Harry.


“We do not know that for sure. It is more likely that Narcissa said what she did because it was the only way to talk Mr. Malfoy out of killing you,” said Dumbledore.


“What makes you think that?” said Harry.


“For one Severus says that Mr. Malfoy has not entered Voldemort’s service,” said Dumbledore.


“Oh, well, if he says it then must be true,” said Harry.


“Harry, I understand your feelings on this issue-” began Dumbledore.


“He’s a danger to the other students, Professor!” yelled Harry.


“Harry, please try not to judge Mr. Malfoy by his parents actions. As Sirius proved-” started Dumbledore, only to be cut off by an irate Harry.


“DON’T YOU DARE COMPARE SIRIUS TO THAT FERRET! THEY ARE NOTHING ALIKE AND TO EVEN PUT THEM TOGETHER IN THE SAME SENTENCE IS AN INSULT TO HIS MEMORY!”


Harry stormed out of the kitchen into sitting room.


“What happened?” asked Ron.


“Nothing,” answered Harry.


“Harry, it clearly wasn’t nothing. You look furious and we heard you shouting when you were talking with Professor Dumbledore. What really happened?” said Hermione.


“Exactly what I said, nothing. Nothing is happening to Malfoy. He’s getting off scot-free. Dumbledore refuses to believe he’s working for Voldemort,” said Harry.


“What? Has he lost his mind? He’s going to let that future Death Eater back in Hogwarts?” said Ron.


“I’m sure he has his reasons. We just have to trust that he knows what’s for the best,” said Hermione.


“I’m not trusting anything that old man says anymore,” said Harry venomously. “I cannot afford to believe in him any longer. He has given us no reason to trust him and every reason not to trust him.”


“Harry that’s not true,” said Hermione.


“Yes it is, Hermione, and you know it is. Who placed me with the Dursleys? Who avoided me all last year, abandoning me when I needed him most? Who intentionally withheld information from me when he knew I would need it, information that Sirius died trying to keep from Voldemort? Who stands by and allows Snape to sabotage my work and give unjust detentions? Who is letting an attempted murderer run freely around Hogwarts?” said Harry. “The time for blind trust in him is over.”


“He just wants what’s best,” said Hermione.


“Yeah, well, what’s best has a funny way of getting me tortured and the people I care about hurt or dead,” spat Harry. “I’m taking this into my own hands. If Dumbledore wants to sit back while Voldemort has missions carried out right under his nose that’s his choice. I, on the other hand, prefer a more proactive approach.”


“What are you planning? What do you mean by a more proactive approach?” asked Ginny.


“I mean that I want to take action, maybe start a new Order. Smaller, but tasked with keeping tabs on people, protecting the school and various other anti-Death Eater activities,” said Harry.


“An underground organization at Hogwarts? I can think of at least 10 rules that would be breaking. We would be in so much trouble if we got caught,” said Hermione.


“And when has that stopped us before?” asked Harry.


“True. But what can we do while we’re stuck in Hogwarts?” asked Hermione.


“Several things. The first is to protect Professor Trelawney. Voldemort may try to go after her and she has no idea the kind of danger she’s in,” said Harry. “Second, Hermione I need you to find a way to seal the castle’s biggest vulnerability.”


“What’s that?” said Hermione.


“The tunnels that open up in Hogsmeade. Wormtail knows all about them. If someone were to sneak into the school it would be through there,” said Harry.


“I think I can find a way to change the password to some of them,” said Hermione.


“What about the one under the Whomping Willow?” asked Ron.


“I’m thinking about asking Dobby to seal that one. He managed to seal Platform 9 and ¾ a few years back without anybody noticing, so he should be able to handle that,” said Harry. “I think we should invite Fred and George in, as well as Neville and Luna if they want.”


“That makes sense. The twins can run missions outside of Hogwarts that we can’t,” said Ginny.


“What do you want to do about Trelawney?” said Ron.


“I have some ideas. Give me until school starts to get everything ready and then we’ll talk,” said Harry.


After Lupin’s lessons that day Harry pulled the Werewolf aside.


“Remus, do you have any idea how the Marauder’s map was made?” said Harry.


“Blimey, that was a long time ago. I think I have some of the journals at Headquarters. Why do you ask?” said Lupin.


“I want to make a few more copies,” said Harry. “It will be easier to keep track of my friends and for them to make sure I’m safe. I’m concerned that with Malfoy still being allowed on the grounds Voldemort may ask him to go after them to get to me.”


Lupin Disaparated and returned a few moments later with several old and dusty looking journals that contained not only notes on the map but on becoming an Animagus as well. Harry had already been studying the theory, but found the notes much easier to understand, as they were written by people his own age. Hermione agreed to make the maps so that each prospective member of the new Order would have a copy, which would allow them to keep tabs on those that needed protection as well as suspected Death Eaters. She also charmed all of their maps so that one could write messages on them and the writing would appear on either all the maps or a specific persons map.


Fred and George agreed enthusiastically with Harry’s plan. Harry gave them their maps and they twins created a set of two-way mirrors, which would allow the twins to sit in on meetings with the rest of the group without having to actually be physically present.


A few days later Ginny turned 16. As Ginny opened one of the several gifts she received three owls flew into the kitchen and dropped a long, narrow package on the table.


“That must be my present,” said Harry.


“Harry, is that what I think it is?” said Ginny, looking at the still wrapped package.


“Why don’t you open it and find out,” suggested Harry.


Slowly, Ginny removed the paper from the broom.


“A Firebolt!” exclaimed Ginny and Ron at the same time.


“Harry, I can’t accept this, these cost a fortune,” said Ginny.


“You can and will accept it. I have more than enough money to cover it; with the money Sirius left me and the money from the Basilisk it didn’t even put a dent in my account,” said Harry. “Besides, I want to make sure Gryffindor keeps that Quidditch Cup theirs for the next three years.”


Ginny rushed outside to try out her new broom while Harry and Ron went up to their room to get their own brooms. When hey entered, another new broom was lying on Ron’s bed.


“Bloody hell, Harry, this is the best Keeper’s broom out there,” said Ron.


“I wanted you to make the Slytherin’s pay for that whole Weasley is our King business last year,” said Harry.


The teens spent the rest of the daylight hours testing out the new brooms.


The next day after lessons Lupin pulled Harry aside.


“I have a proposition for you, Harry,” began Remus.


“What can I do for you?” said Harry.


“Well, I am returning this year to teach Defense,” said the Marauder.


“That’s great!” exclaimed Harry. Lupin was easily the best Defense teacher he had had, though, admittedly, numbers one and two on that list were a disguised Death Eater (who had actually taught Harry how to resist the Imperious Curse) and a man with Voldemort on the back of his head.


“Thank you, I’m glad to be back. However, there is a slight problem in that I am unavailable for a few days every month,” said Lupin.


“I suppose that Snape will be teaching those classes,” said Harry, scowling at the idea.


“Actually, Dumbledore felt that, given Snape’s other duties it would be unwise for him to take on that responsibility. We were hoping you would fill in when I’m unable to teach,” said Lupin.


“What! Why? Surely you could find someone more qualified than me,” said Harry.


“Last year there was a record number of E and O scores on the Defense O.W.Ls. We found this odd, as your formal instruction in the subject last year was, shall we say, inadequate. When Dumbledore contacted some of the students, they told us that you taught them just about everything they learned last year,” said Lupin.


“Someone had to teach them,” said Harry. “Dumbledore is aware that I’m currently furious with him, right?”


“Yes, I heard about what happened. While I agree with you that Mr. Malfoy is a danger to the other students, even if Dumbledore saw things our way there’s little he could do. It takes a lot to expel a student and that family knows how to play the system,” said Lupin.


“If I accept the offer, would I have to continue your lessons or come up with my own? I may be decent at teaching how to duel but I don’t really know that much about dark creatures, except maybe Dementors” asked Harry, remembering his third year lessons on Hinkypunks, Grindylows and other unpleasant beings.


“You can do your own lessons, though we will be spending less time on dark creatures this year and more on skills that will be useful against the Death Eaters,” informed the Werewolf. “When I am out you will have all of the powers and responsibilities of a Hogwarts Professor. You will be able to award and take away house points, give detentions and such. Also, you will patrol the grounds in my place when I am gone. We are increasing the patrols, given the current state of affairs.”


“Do you think it’s wise to give me those powers? I’m sure there will be a lot of complaints,” said Harry.


“There will likely be several complaints, but most of those who have taught you agreed that you are mature enough. Of course, if you do abuse the powers you will lose them,” said Remus.


“I still think it would be best if I didn’t have them at all. I’ll still teach and patrol in your place but I think both Dumbledore and me would be better off,” said Harry.


“You need the powers. Without them you’ll never be able to control your classes,” said Lupin.


“I guess,” conceded Harry. “I imagine Snape is not very pleased about this decision.”


“That would be the understatement of the century,” said Lupin.


“I suppose that having the two people he hates most get the job that he’s been trying to get for over a decade didn’t go over very well with him,” said Harry.


“Not in the slightest. If you thought he treated you bad before I have the feeling you haven’t seen anything yet,” said Lupin.


“If I gave a damn what he thought I might be concerned,” said Harry.


“You aren’t worried?” said Remus, sounding a bit surprised.


“I’ve decided not to let that overgrown bat get to me. He’s nothing more than a petty, childish man who isn’t worth my thoughts,” said Harry. “That’s not to say that I’m going to take his treatment lying down. If he tries to sabotage my potions or pull any of the crap he’s done in the past I’m going straight to Dumbledore and McGonagall. With my Penseive he won’t be able to get away with anything. My only concern is that he may be working for Voldemort, which would be disastrous.”


“I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have that concern as well,” said Lupin. “However, I’m a bit more inclined to trust Dumbledore than you are.”


“But you can’t deny he has a record of trusting people who turn out to be murderers,” said Harry.


“Yes, he does,” agreed the Professor.


Remus left and Harry went to tell the others the news.


“That’s brilliant! Think about all the detentions you can give Malfoy,” said Ron.


“Ron, he can’t just give detentions without reason, he’ll lose the post,” lectured Hermione.


“I’m sure there will be no shortage of valid reasons to punish Malfoy,” reasoned Ginny.


“Of course, this complicates things a bit,” said Harry.


“How so?” asked Hermione.


“We can’t seal the tunnel under the Whomping Willow, Lupin will need to use it,” said Harry. “We’ll have to watch over it, either in person or on the maps.”


“We can stay in the Shrieking Shack when we’re not working,” suggested Fred.


“That’ll work,” approved Harry. “Also, it would be a good idea for you two to drop by the Hogs Head every once in a while, see what you can overhear.”


“I’ll put an Intruding Charm on all the exists as well,” said Hermione.


“Excellent. Now, that leaves our most difficult tasks,” said Harry.


“What?” asked Ron.


“I’d like to find a way to keep an eye on Malfoy and, if possible, Snape. We know that Malfoy is aiding Voldemort and Snape’s loyalty is, at best, questionable. I want to find out what they’re up to,” said Harry.


“Have you been studying Legilmency?” said Hermione.


“Yes. I’ll never be able to get into Snape’s mind but I doubt Malfoy knows Occulmency,” answered Harry.

“Do you know what your Animagus form is yet?” inquired Ginny.


“No. I’m close to getting that down though. Hopefully I can become an animal with good hearing or small enough to hide in Snapes office,” said Harry.


“Anything else?” asked George.


“No, I think we have enough on our plate for now,” said Harry.
Sign up to rate and review this story