Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Joe's True Love

Chapter 16

by berryterry 0 reviews

Joe and Elaine, with their parents, get together for dinner.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG - Genres: Humor - Published: 2008-02-07 - Updated: 2008-02-07 - 1244 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 16

Two months go by and Fall Out Boy is finished with their European tour. Elaine is at her parents’ house and they are getting ready for Joe and his family’s arrival. Her parents are a bit old-fashioned and conservative especially her father, but they are happy that Elaine is giving them a grandchild, even though she is not married. Mrs. Krause and Elaine are in the kitchen preparing some appetizers. They are excited, yet a bit nervous.

“I tell you, Elaine. Never in a million years have I thought you would be having a child with a famous rock musician. He’s a gentleman, isn’t he?”
“Yes! Mom, I’ve told you a million times, he’s the sweetest, gentle, most caring human being on the planet.”
“I believe you. It’s just that… well you know how a lot of those rockstar types are.”
“Trust me, he’s nothing like those rockstar types.”
“So, have you two talked about getting married?”
“Actually, no we haven’t discussed that yet.”
“You know, Elaine, it’s only proper that you get married. A child needs to be brought up in a stable home.”
“We don’t want to rush things, mom.”
“But don’t you love each other?”
“Yes, but there are still things that need to be evened out yet.”
“Well in my opinion, getting married is a big even-outer. It’s not like he doesn’t have the money to support you and the baby. I’m sure he’s filthy rich.”
“Mom, it’s not really about money.”
“Then what is it?”
“I just don’t think we’re ready for that yet.”
“Well you must be ready to get married if you were ready to have a baby together!”
“Mom! Don’t make this more complicated than it already is!”

The doorbell rings, interrupting their argument.

“They’re here!” shouts Elaine.

Elaine’s mother quickly places the food on the kitchen table while Elaine answers the door. Mrs. Krause then calls her husband, who is in the basement, and instructs him to come up because the company has arrived.

Joe enters the room with his parents, Diane and Michael Trohman. They are a lot more modern-minded and liberal than Elaine’s parents, and are usually not afraid to share their true feelings. However, Joe instructed them to tone it down a little, at least for that night.

“Hello! It’s so nice to meet you all,” Mrs. Krause said, warmly greeting them. “Welcome to our home.”
“It’s nice to meet you, too, Mrs. Krause,” said Joe
“Yes, you have such a lovely home,” said Mrs. Trohman
“Thank you… This is my husband, Harry.”
“Nice to meet you, Mr. Krause,” said Joe.
“So, you’re the one who got my daughter pregnant?”
“Harry!” exclaimed his wife, in shock. “I’m sorry, he tends to get nervous around company.”
“That’s ok,” said Joe. “After all, it’s true.”
“Ok then, why don’t we all just sit down and eat,” said Mrs. Krause, attempting to break up the tension.
“Sounds good to me,” said Mr. Trohman.

At the dinner table, the Krauses and the Trohmans tried to get to know each other the best they could.

“So Joe, we hear that your band is pretty famous,” said Mrs. Krause
“Yeah, I guess you could say that.”
“Don’t you get a lot of girls running after you?” asked Mr. Krause.

His wife sat there, with a nervous smile on her face, feeling slightly embarrassed by her husband’s rather frank interrogations
.
“Well yes… but there’s only one girl for me, sir. And that’s your daughter.”
“Well that’s good to know. Let me ask you something. Do you plan on marrying my daughter, Trohman?”
“Dad!” Elaine interrupted.
“Now hold on Elaine. I’m just looking out for you, sweetie.”
“Well are you?”
“Well, uh…”
“Thought so. Elaine, are you seriously going to have a baby with someone who’s not even going to marry you?”
“Dad, we didn’t even discuss marriage yet. God, you are so embarrassing!”
“Harry, can I have a word with you?” interrupted his wife. “Excuse us.”

The Krauses moved into the living room.

“Harry, what on earth do you think you’re doing?”
“I just want what’s best for our daughter. What’s so wrong about that?”
“I know you are, but you are being impolite in front of our guests! Now please try to be more courteous.”
“Oh, alright. But I’m telling you, it’s not going to last with that boy. He’s in a band, for God sakes. You know what goes on in bands.”
“Just promise me you’ll give him a chance.”
“Ok, Miriam. I promise.”
“Good.”

They walked back into the kitchen to continue their meal with the Trohmans. As they sat down to eat, Mrs. Krause nudged her husband on the shoulder to get him to apologize for his behavior.

“I’m sorry about that,” he said to Joe. “I was a bit out of line.”
“That’s ok sir. I understand your concerns.”
“Good. Let’s try to forget it.”
“Ok.”
“So Mr. and Mrs. Trohman, what do you like to do for fun?” asked Mr. Krause, trying to lighten the mood.
“Well, I enjoy painting, baking, and pottery. I have my own kiln,” answered Mrs. Trohman.
“Oh, that sounds nice. And what about you, sir? What are some of your hobbies?”
“Um, I love traveling. Actually my wife and I just came back from a trip to India.”
“Well that sounds exciting! Doesn’t it, dear?” said Mrs. Krause
“Yes… it does,” answered Mr. Krause, who would never dream of traveling to such an exotic place.
“Oh it was very exciting,” said Mrs. Trohman. “It’s actually a very spiritual experience. There were times where I felt one with nature!”
“Oh really? That’s um, nice,” said Mrs. Krause forcing a smile.

There was uncomfortable silence for about a second.

“Mom…” Joe whispered to his mother.
“What is it dear?”
“Uh why don’t you go easy on the hippy stuff for now, ok?”
“Oh, ok. Got it.”

Joe sighed in relief.

“So what do you all like doing for fun?” asked Mrs. Trohman, breaking the silence.
“Well I enjoy reading, cooking, decorating, cleaning, etc.,” answered Mrs. Krause.
“That’s nice. You sound like Martha Stewart,” she laughed. And Mr. Krause?”
“I love watching baseball, fishing, coin collecting and eating, of course!”

They all laughed.

“You know I think this is a wonderful family, Mrs. Krause,” said Mrs. Trohman. “And you have a lovely daughter.”
“Thank you, Mrs. Trohman. You have a very nice son, as well. Very polite and well-mannered.”
“Thank you. I’m glad we all got together. It was a wonderful idea.”
“Yes, yes it certainly was.”

The night went surprisingly well during the remainder of the dinner, as well as after. The Krauses and the Trohmans agreed that they would both be involved in the baby’s life and help out as much as they could. Joe and Elaine were very grateful for this, and they were relieved that everyone seemed to get along, especially since their families were so different from each other. They just hoped that their differences wouldn’t put a damper on all of this in the future. The only thing they could do at this point is hope for the best.
Sign up to rate and review this story