Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Different View of Things, Year One

Of Trains and Sortings

by Isebas 11 reviews

Harry receives his Hogwarts letter, plays a prank on Dudley, and makes his way to Hogwarts and finally gets sorted into his house.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Humor - Characters: Blaise Zabini,Draco,Dumbledore,Harry,Theodore Nott,Vernon Dursley - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-02-14 - Updated: 2008-02-14 - 7279 words

5Original
A/N: I don't own Harry Potter or anything officially associated with it. It belongs to Ms. Rowling and Warner Bros.

This Chapter: Harry receives his Hogwarts letter, plays a prank on Dudley, and makes his way to Hogwarts and finally gets sorted into his house.

“Normal Speech”

“SPELLS”

'Thoughts'

Different Human and Magical Languages”

//Beast Speaking//

:Mental Speech:

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Harry woke up feeling refreshed and eager since his Hogwarts letter should be arriving today. He slipped into his trunk for a quick shower and read for about an hour. Slipping out of his trunk he quickly slid on his wands and holsters then walked downstairs. Harry got to work cooking breakfast for him and his family. He still did some chores since he didn't want to feel like a freeloader. Today he decided to make pancakes, eggs and bacon with orange juice. It seemed as soon as he had placed the food on the table his relatives had come down the stairs.

“Good morning.” He said.

He got a couple a grunts in return and a glare from his horse faced aunt. They silently ate breakfast, neither complimenting Harry's cooking or complaining about it. Finally at almost of the end of the meal Harry heard the mail slot open as the mailman pushed the mail through.

“Get the mail boy...please” Harry's uncle said in forced politeness.

“Of course uncle.” Harry said before standing and walking to the door.

He sifted through a couple of bills and an advertisement for new and used tires. There it was, an envelope with his address on it:

Mr. Harry J. Potter

Upstairs right side bedroom

4 Privet Drive

Little Whinging

Surrey

Crest pressed in sealing wax was his Hogwarts letter. He had waited for this day since he had learned magic was real. He slid the letter into his pocket and walked back into the kitchen.

“Here's the mail Uncle Vernon.” Harry said.

“About time boy.” Vernon Dursley replied.

“Can I be excused uncle?” Harry asked.

“Yes...yes.” He replied distractedly.

Harry placed his dishes in the dishwasher then walked up to his room. He walked down the stairs into his trunk while pulling the top closed. He walked over and sat in the chair behind his desk and split the seal.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Headmaster: Albus Dumbeldore

(Order of Merlin, First Class. Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confederation of Wizards)

Dear Mr. Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins September 1st. We await your owl no later than owl no later than July 31st.

Yours Sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

Harry unfolded the second piece of parchment.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

UNIFORM

First-year students require:

Three sets of plain work robes (black)

One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

One winter cloak (black with silver fastenings)

Please note that pupils robes should carry name tags

COURSE BOOKS

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginners Guide to Transfiguration by Emetic Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT

Wand

Cauldron(Pewter size 2)

Set glass or crystal vials

telescope

set brass scales

Students may bring an own OR a cat OR a toad

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS

Harry refolded it slipping it back into its envelope. He grabbed a fresh piece of parchment then dipped his quill into his ink pot to reply.

Dear Professor McGonagall,

I would be more than happy to attend Hogwarts. Iwon't need anybody to take me to Diagon alley, I will be able to get there myself. I will meet the Hogwart's Express.

Sincerely,

Harry James Potter-Black

“Throm I need you to take this to Minerva McGonagall.” Harry said.

Caw...Yes Harry...caw” Throm replied.

Harry attached the note to his leg and and then let him out of the trunk. He watched him fly out the window towards Hogwarts.

Harry spent the rest of the time up until September 1st reading through his books and had visited Diagon Alley again to get the rest of his supplies. He walked downstairs the morning of September 1stto find his family eating breakfast not having saved him any.

“I need you to take me to the train station this morning uncle.” Harry said.

“And why the hell would I do that boy?” Vernon Dursley growled out.

“Maybe because of this.” Harry said taking out his Hogwarts letter and showing it to them.

His Aunt and Uncle's faces went white with fear before his uncles turned red and his aunts pinched together in hate.

“YOU ARE NOT GOING TO THAT SCHOOL BOY! WE HAVE TRIED TO BEAT THAT STUFF OUT OF YOU. WE'VE PUT UP WITH YOUR UNNATURAL WAYS FOR YEARS. NO MORE! YOU HEAR ME! NO MORE!” He said spittle flying from his mouth and hitting Harry in the face.

“I already sent my acceptance letter in so I guess I'll be going. Just think if you let me go I won't be here nine months out of the year. We won't have to see each other for quite awhile. As soon as I get old enough I will try and move out then we'll never have to see each other again.” Harry said.

His uncle thought about it for a few minutes then seemed to come to a decision.

“Fine but don't expect us to like it.” His uncle bit out between clenched teeth, his face an even deeper red.

“Thank you uncle. By the way you don't need to clean my room while I'm gone, it will stay clean.” Harry replied.

“Whatever. Be ready to leave in ten minutes boy.” His uncle said.

Harry just nodded and walked back upstairs to his bedroom. He went in and made sure he had his trunk all packed and set Throm in his cage on the desk in a compartment. He went to check on Seth to find him laying in one of the comfortable chairs beside his couch.

//I am getting ready to go to the train station so you can ride under my robes once I get on the train.// Harry said.

//Okay Master. I am glad that we are going to Hogwarts finally. I should be able to feed off some of the magic in the castle, so you won't have to feed me but about once a month.// Seth said.

//Another interesting thing about your species Seth?// Harry asked.

//Of course Master.// He replied.

//Okay I will see you in a bit.// Harry said. Seth just nodded his head.

Climbing back out of his trunk he tapped it with his wand shrinking it then slipping it into his pocket. He walked into the hallway spelling his door jamb to hold a jinx in case his cousin tried to get into his room. He walked down the stairs and saw his uncle waiting for him.

“It's about time boy, I was about to leave you.” He said as soon as he seen Harry.

Harry knew that his uncle was bluffing since he didn't know what Harry or those freaks from that school would do to him. He kissed his wife on the cheek and walked out the door, not even checking to see if Harry followed him. Harry climbed into the back of his uncle's BMW, sitting back for the long ride to King's Cross Station.

~Meanwhile at Malfoy Manor~

Draco was getting bored waiting for Hogwart's term to begin. His father had told him to become friends with Potter before Dumbledore could sink his claws too deep in him. He had already discovered that Potter didn't think that magic should be qualified Dark and Light. Maybe there was hope for him yet. He had to put up with his mother fawning over her baby that was about to leave her for the first time. Frankly he couldn't wait to go.

Maybe he would be able to get more friends that just the kids of his father's allies. Crabbe and Goyle weren't exactly good for conversation. He was currently waiting for his father and mother in the formal lounge so he could portkey to the platform. His mother and father finally walked through the door, everything about them immaculate as always.

“Now Draco remember to prove why pureblood are best. Never act unlike the Malfoy that you are or you will be feeling more than words. Don't associate with any mudbloods or blood-traitors. Also remember it's never to late to make allies and gain favors that can be called upon it upcoming years.” Lucius said.

“Remember to write home every week Draco.” His mother said.

“I will mother. Goodbye mother, goodbye father.” Draco said when his father handed him his portkey then activating it with the phrase, “Pureblood supremacy.”

He felt the tell-tale sign of a pull behind his navel.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Harry's uncle barely waited for Harry to climb out of the car before taking off as if the devil himself were after him. Harry looked at the direction his uncle went and sneered before crossing the road into the station. He quickly found platforms nine and ten.

~A memory flashed in his mind~

Come Tom the platform is right through this wall.” Dumbledore said pointing at the blank wall between platforms nine and ten.

Eleven year old Tom Riddle swept his black bangs out his face and gazed at it as if he could discern it's secrets just by looking at it. Even though he was feeling both curious and cautious he never allowed these emotions to show on his face. Years in the orphanage taught him that it was better to not show any emotions.

He proudly walked up to the wall pushing the trolley containing his supplies and an brown tawny owl along. He admitted to himself that he half thought to himself that this new world was going to disappear and the wall would be solid; not leading to a hidden platform to take him away from his horrid past. Thinking of the past brought up several memories both pleasant( causing the other kids in the orphanage pain, even if they never did anything to him), and not so pleasant( all the beatings and abuse he suffered in the orphanage).

He put this all to the back of his mind as soon as he felt the wall give when he pushed against it. As soon as it began it was over, and sitting before him was a scarlet steam engine. The platform was filled with families both magical and muggle, easily discernible by the difference in clothing. He watched as a young girl stood sobbing with her parents. Parents all over the platform were fawning over their young children. Muggle parents' minds were obviously not entirely made up about allowing their child to go to amagical school they couldn't even see.

He outwardly sneered at the obvious displays of emotion but inwardly he was a little jealous. He wished that his mother and father were here to wish him goodbye. He imagined that his father was a strong handsome man and his mother had a beauty that surpassed all others; and most importantly that they hadn't left him at the orphanage.

He looked behind him just in time to see Professor Dumbeldore come through the portal and onto the platform.

Sorry that took so long Tom but I had to stop and admire something. I have always been fascinated with muggle things. I suppose this is where I will leave you. I think you can find yourself a compartment on the train. Remember to change into your robes before you reach the station in Hogsmeade. I shall see you when you arrive at school.” Professor Dumbledore said.

Goodbye Professor and thank you.” Tom said, having said that last grudgingly since he was used to doing things on his own.

Goodbye Tom.” Dumbeldore replied then disappeared with a soft 'pop' of displaced air.

Tom took a deep breath then picked up his trunk and owl cage them walked onto the train and set down the path of his fate.

~End of Memory~

He walked over to the sign for the public facilities and walked into the mens room. Quickly making sure no one was in there and standing in astall he concentrated on his appearance. His hair went from black to brown and his eyes turned a dark blue almost black. / /He looked into the mirror and was satisfied with what he saw. Walking out of the bathroom he took a deep breath before walking through the portal to reach the platform.

There before him stood the train he had saw in Tom Riddle's memory. Scarlet and billowing steam out onto the platform. He briefly wondered why they didn't use newer technology but passed if off as a quirk of magical people in England. He looked around and saw that the platform seemed to be pretty deserted as far and looked at the clock. He discovered that it was only ten o'clock, he had been in such a hurry too ask his uncle and to get to the platform that he hadn't noticed the time before.

He decided since he was early that he might as well find himself a compartment. He climbed onto the train just as the snack lady was walking by.

“Hello Dearie.” She said as she walked by.

“Hello.” Harry replied.

“You're a little early but you can find yourself acompartment and wait for the other students.” She said.

“Okay thank you.” Harry said.

Harry walked down the hallway and chose one of the compartments closer to the back. He re-enlarged his trunk and got out some of his robes. He put on a plain black set, slipped on his dragon hide boots and brought Seth out of his compartment so he could wrap around Harry's shoulders.

//We've made it my friend. We got here pretty early though, no one else is here yet.// Harry said.

//Better early than late. Thank god you're going today I didn't think you'd ever shut up about going to Hogwarts.// Seth replied.

//Whatever.//Harry said before taking out abook on charms and putting a locking charm on the door.

He didn't look up from his book until the platform was full of people and there was a knock on his compartment door. He looked up to see Draco standing there with a black haired violet eyed girl and a boy with short brown hair and blue eyes. Harry waved his wand at the door undoing the locking charm.

Draco was the first through the door and to sit down.

“Did you have to lock the door Harry?” Draco asked.

“Of course I didn't want just anyone walking in on me. Especially some Gryffindor bigot.” He replied with a slight laugh.

Draco also laughed but quieted down and turned to look out the window.

“I'm Blaise Zabini by the way.” The black haired girl said before sticking out her hand.

“Lord Harry James Potter-Black, it's a pleasure to meet you.” Harry said before taking her hand and placing a kiss on her knuckle accordingly with pureblood customs.

Harry was slightly amused as a small blush came onto her face, Draco seemed fairly amused as well.

Harry looked over at the boy next to her and waited for him to introduce himself. It was proper pureblood etiquette for someone of lower status to introduce themselves first.

“Theodore Nott, my lord.” He said also sticking out his hand.

Harry took and shook it before shaking his head.

“There's no need to be so formal in private.” Harry said. Formally giving them permission to call them to call him by his first instead of “my lord” all the time.

Theo nodded briefly and gave him a slight smile.

“How was the rest of your summer Draco?” Harry asked.

“Mother was fawning all over me this summer. Idon't think she wanted me to leave but like my father said, it was time for me to learn to be the Lord I will be some day.” He said. “I got to do a little flying and I learned some pretty cool curses this summer. How was yours?” He asked.

“About the same as usual except I spent most of it studying.” Harry paused as Draco muttered /Ravenclaw/under his breath. “ I spent quite a bit of time looking up different laws concerning emancipation and when I would be able to move out of my /relatives /home.” He finished speaking the word relatives with disgust.

Blaise looked at him in silent question.

“I live with my muggle uncle and squib aunt. Let's just say that we don't exactly get along. My uncle has a phobia of anything he considers unnatural and I think my aunt despises witches and wizards because her sister had magic and was prettier than her.” Harry said.

He then settled back to continue reading his book, barely noticing the train leaving the station and making it's way to Hogsmeade. He only looked up from his book when there was another knock on the door. Harry opened it to see the cart lady he had met earlier standing there with her food cart.

“Anything for you or your friends Dearie?” She asked.

“Yes I think I'll take ten of everything.” He said causing her eyes to widen a bit then paid her a galleon and two knuts. Draco and Theo also bought some candy but Blaise just munched on a little of everyone's.

Harry opened a chocolate frog to face to face with“himself” as a baby. The card read:

Harry James Potter

Born July 31st, 1980. Defeater of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Son of Lily and James Potter, who died in the attack on their home in Godric's Hollow on October 31st, 1981.

Harry scowled at the card and threw it and the rest of his candy in his trunk. Harry laid back with his head against the wall and closing his eyes. He cast his magic out around the compartment so he would know if there was spells about to be cast. The other three sharing the compartment shivered unconsciously as his magic washed over them. He finally allowed his magic to expand out of the compartment and across the rest of the train. He felt someones magic that seemed to be a little similar to his(one guess who that is). He was finally lulled into a light sleep listening to the train running along the tracks.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

~Back at Number Four~

Dudley Dursley wasn't smart by any means, but he knew that his parents were happier when he picked on his cousin. He didn't really understand why his parents disliked his cousin and hardly ever called him by his name. All he knew was that Potter had been getting the better of him for years and he was going to pay him back.

He walked down the hall causing the floor to groan alittle and finally reached his cousin's bedroom. He tried to turn the knob but the door wouldn't open. He went and grabbed the key for the lock and tried to open it that way. He slid the key in the hole and twisted it causing a the door to flash for a second. He felt his ears and teeth getting longer and something try and bust out of the back of his pants.

He waddled into the bathroom and looked into the mirror. Instead of his normal bulky reflection he not sported long donkey ears and large bucked teeth. He felt in the back of his pants and screamed, he now had a tail! He promptly passed out not seeing his mother run upstairs to see what happened to her Diddly-Dudums.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

The train was almost to Hogsmeade when Harry was shaken awake by Draco.

“We're almost there Harry.” Draco said.

Harry nodded his head and stretched while yawning. He reset his password in parseltoungue on his trunk, so low that the others couldn't hear it, before tapping it with his wand to shrink it. He slipped it in his pocket then re-holstered his wand. He followed the group as he got off the train. He looked at the carriages and saw a faint outline of some creatures pulling them.

He was broken out his musing when he heard a loud voice bellow “Firs' years this way! Firs' years this way.”

He looked up and saw the largest man he had ever seen. He was as tall as one and half men and as wide as five. He had long messy hair and a bushy brown beard. His eyes were as black as coals but he had laugh lines around his eyes. Harry could tell that he was a kind man.

Harry followed the other first years towards where Hagrid was walking.

“Watch yer steps now, it can be mighty slippery. Only four to a boat now.” He said while walking down a hill.

Harry and his group filled up their own boat.

“Everyone in? Right then-FORWARD!” Hagrid yelled.

The boats took off at a leisurely pace across the lake. A lot of the other first years were nervously chatting but everyone was silent in Harry's boat. They finally made it around a bend and Hogwarts came into sight. Harry had to admit it looked pretty amazing. Th giant squid was lazily swimming across the lake, raising it's tentacles every once in a while and waving it towards them.

They finally made their way to an outcropping where the boats would flow under the castle to dock.

“Heads down!” Hagrid yelled.

Harry lowered his head just in time for them to go under the seaweed hanging there. Their boats stopped in beside a set of large stairs leading to a pair of double doors. Hagrid got out of his boat followed by the first years. He raised his fist and knocked it on the wooden doors causing a dull 'thunk' to sound around the underground cavern.

A few seconds later it was opened by a tall stately witch with black hair done up in a bun. Her lips were pursed together slightly. Harry knew who she was from one of Tom's memories. Minerva McGonagall, Transfiguration Mistress. She had gone to school with Tom but still had the same stern attitude as she did then.

“The Firs' years, Professor McGonagall.” Hagrid said simply.

“Thank you Rubeus.” McGonagall replied.

Harry watched as Hagrid walked down toward the boats. He turned back around just as McGonagall began speaking again.

“I am Professor Minerva McGonagall, Head of Gryffindor house, Transfiguration teacher, and Deputy Headmistress of Hogwart's. You will follow me into the anti-chamber where I will explain the houses and points system and then you shall wait for the sorting ceremony.” She said then turned around tapped the double doors causing them to spring open. They followed her down awell lit entrance hall, the whispering of the portraits following them. The suits of armor gleamed in the torch light.

McGonagall waited till they had all settled down again before beginning her speech.

“I would like to be the first to welcome you to Hogwart's.” McGonagall started. “ The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is avary important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family at Hogwart's. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.

“The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn you house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. Ihope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

“The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest that you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting.”(Philosopher's Stone, pages 90-91.)

She looked around the group of first years before going through the set of golden double doors in front of the group. She returned about thirty seconds later.

“The sorting ceremony will start after the Sorting Hat sings its song.” She said.

She again tapped the doors with her wand and they sprang open allowing for a full view of the Great Hall. Harry could certainly see where it got it's name. The walls were lined with torches and groups of candles floated above each of the house and head tables. The ceiling was still charmed to look like the night sky; currently is was clear and the stars were twinkling. McGonagall placed the tattered sorting on a stool in front. A deformed mouth tore itself from the fabric.

I am the Sorting Hat,

Up in the Headmaster's office I've sat.

I remember the day,

I was charmed by Godric to say,

You belong here,

So never fear,

for I am the sorting hat.

Godric was known for the Brave and Courageous,

Salazar the cunning and ambitious, about him the things they say...outlandish

Hufflepuff admired the hardworking and Loyal,

Ravenclaw the witty and those that don't uselessly toil,

I am the Sorting Hat,

Up in the Headmaster's office I've sat.

I remember the day,

I was charmed by Godric to say,

You belong here,

So never fear,

for I am the Sorting Hat.

McGonagall stepped up to the side of the stool.

“When I call your name you will come and place the sorting hat on your head. It will tell you the house in which you belong, then you will immediately make your way to your house table.” She said before calling the first name. “Abbot, Hannah”

The hat sat on her head for a few seconds before shouting” Hufflepuff!”

The table on the right cheered and clapped.

“Bones, Susan!”

“Gryffindor!” The hat shouted. Apparently shocking a few people including the girl. Her family had almost always been in Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw.

“Boot, Terry”

“Slytherin!”

“Brocklehurst. Mandy” went to Ravenclaw but“Brown, Lavender” became a Hufflepuff.

“Bulstrode, Millicent” went into Slytherin. She was the first of the Slytherin's and Harry knew that she wouldn't be the last. He figured Draco would go into Slytherin and his goons Crabbe and Goyle probably would too, mindlessly following Draco. He figured Theodore for a Slytherin or Ravenclaw, Blaise as well.

Harry tuned out a lot of the rest of the sorting's. He watched as a bushy haired girl was sent to Ravenclaw. A buck tooth wild haired boy name Finch-Fletchley was sorted into Hufflepuff and the next person in line was a boy named Shan, Lim. He had black hair and black eyes with tanned skin, and a slightly Asian look. He was sorted into Ravenclaw. Neville Longbottom was was called up after him. The hat seemed to take a long time before shouting out Hufflepuff. Neville looked a little sad but also had a look of amazement on his face. Draco was next, he sat down on the stool with the hat on his head for about ten seconds before it shouted out“Slytherin!”. Draco seemed pleased with his house.

The next person Harry paid attention to was Nott. He sat with the hat on his head for about two minutes before it shouted out“Slytherin!” as well. To the outside world Harry looked calm while waiting for his sorting but on the inside he was pretty anxious. He finally heard McGonagall say “Potter, Harry”. All the torches on the wall burned brighter and a lightening struck across the ceiling and the very school seemed to hum before going silent once more.

A hush suddenly came over the students before they broke out in whispers. He sat down on the stool and allowed the hat to slip over his head.

Hmm. Difficult , very difficult. Could you lower your shields Mr. Potter-Black so I can get an accurate reading?” The voice of the hat said in his ear.

As long as you won't tell my secrets. Just to make sure...as the heir of Ravenclaw and Slytherin I command you not to tell my secrets.”Harry said.
“Very well. I am charmed not to reveal secrets but that doesn't mean someone couldn't ever find a way around that so the better precautions the better.” The hat said with a jolt of surprise. It patiently waited for Harry to lower his shields. “Hmm, yes very difficult. You have bravery but you don't usually rush into situations without good foreknowledge. You are definitely cunning and ambitious. You wish to be powerful but also realize you are powerful now. I see that you have young Mr. Riddle's memories. It's too bad that he twisted his ancestors views the way he did. Slytherin may have wanted to teach only purebloods but he didn't want them to be killed either, nor was he a Dark Lord...I see that you don't really believe in light and dark; this is a good lesson you have already learned. Let's see you are very intelligent and have many amazing skills. I think you will rock the very foundations of this school Mr. Potter-Black. Perhaps Ishould let you decide your house?”

Hmm I don't really think I am suited for Hufflepuff even if I am loyal but am mostly loyal to myself and those I let get close to me. Gryffindor is also out, I am not my parents which a lot of people clearly want me to be. I am my own person. Let's see I like Slytherin but I don't think it is really pertinent for me to go there with so many enemies in that house. Besides of if I don't go into Slytherin or Gryffindor, I can better hide some of my abilities and talents. So I think Ravenclaw is the best.” Harry replied.

I think you're right Mr. Potter-Black. I can't wait to see how you shake up people's beliefs in the future. Come and visit me some time Mr. Potter-Black, Hogwarts favored heir and good luck in Ravenclaw!”

Harry took off the hat to hear the applause of at the Ravenclaw table. He looked over at Professor McGonagall and saw her shocked as well.

“Excuse me Professor.” He said.

“Yes Mr. Potter?”She said.

“My name is actually Potter-Black, thanks.” He said smiling before walking over to his house table and shaking hands with a few people. He looked up and Dumbledore didn't look too happy but Flitwick looked as if Christmas had come early.

“Here Harry why don't you have a seat.” The boy he recognized as Lim Shan said with a slight accent.

He looked over at the Slytherin table and nodded to Draco and Theodore, getting a nod in return.

“Lord Harry James Potter-Black”Harry introduced himself to Lim saying his full title but without a lot of arrogance.

“Lim Dai Shan” Lim replied shaking Harry's hand.

“I noticed your accent where are you from, if you don't mind my asking?” Harry asked.

“I'm from China, my mother is Chinese and my dad is English. They met when my dad was stationed over there.” Lim said. “I'm a half-blood. My cousin Cho Chang is a year ahead of us. I've lived in China, England, the U.S., and Italy.”

“Well it's nice to meet you. I hope the sorting ends soon, I'm starving.” Harry said.

Lim nodded his head with a smile before they both went back to watching the sorting.A brown haired, small nosed girl named Portson, Sarah had been sorted into Gryffindor and Winston, Michelle was sorted in Ravenclaw. She was a small blond haired girl with beautiful swirled aqua-marine colored eyes. She sat down a little ways from everyone looking around in barely concealed awe.

Finally it was down to Zabini's turn to be sorted. She walked up to the hat with a small air of superiority and allowed it to be placed on her head. It looked like she was arguing with the hat, till a good four minutes later it shouted out “Slytherin!”

McGonagall picked up the stool and sorting hat, sitting it off to the side before taking her seat. Dumbledore stood and beamed at the crowd of students sitting there, as if he would rather be no where else.

“For the first years welcome to Hogwarts, for second years and above welcome back. I am glad to see so many eager faces looking up at me, ready for learning.” Here he paused as a few students booed then chuckled. “Well perhaps they are eager for this old man's speech to be over and for the food to show up.” A few students cheered including Ron Weasley who said,“Here,here!”. “ I suppose I will save the rest of my speech for after we are well fed and our thirst's quenched. Without further ado tuck in!” He said clapping his hands sharply twice.

The tables filled with food, groaning slightly from the weight. Harry and Lim smiled at each other before digging in. Half-way through the meal the ghosts floated into the Great Hall startling some of the first years. The Gray Lady was floating up the Ravenclaw table and stopped to look at Harry. She smiled at him and said. “Hello, welcome to Hogwarts Harry Potter. I am happy to see you. If ever you should need to talk just seek me out.”

Harry smiled and nodded at her as most of the Great Hall watched on in interest. Neither acknowledged the attention, one floating on and the other continuing to eat. McGonagall tapped the side of her glass and the rest of the food and plates disappeared. Dumbledore stood once more with a smile.

“Now that we are no longer hungry or thirsty Iwill get on with the announcements. I am glad you have all come and are now ready to learn. First off Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you that magic is not to be used in the corridors. Also a list of all forbidden items are attached to Mr. Filch's door. The Forbidden forest is called that for a reason, it is forbidden to all students.” A couple of snickers came from the Gryffindor table and he looked down to see that it was Fred and George Weasley. His eyes seemed to twinkle even more.“There are creatures far worse than werewolves residing in it. I would like to introduce the new Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher Nathaniel DeMoore. He has come all this way from America. Please give him a round of warm welcome.” Aman about 30 stood up. He had short brown hair and brown eyes with asmile on his face and tanned skin. He had a wicked looking scar about six inches long running down the right side of his face. The students politely applauded. “Anyone looking to try out for Quidditch will need to speak to Madam Hooch. Before I allow you to leave, please join me in singing the school song. Everyone pick your favorite tune.” He started waving his wand like a conductors baton.

Hogwarts,Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,

Teach us something please,

Whether we be old and bald

or young with scabby knees,

Our heads could do with filling

With some interesting stuff,

For now they're bare and full of air,

Dead flies and bits of fluff,

So teach us things were knowing,

Bring back what we've forgot,

just do your best, we'll do the rest,

And learn until our brains all rot.”

The Weasley twins finished last bellowing out the tune to “I have a lovely bunch of coconuts”. Harry didn't know where they would have learned it, since he knew they were purebloods.

“Ah music, not a greater magic in the Hogwarts.” Dumbledore said. “Well I suppose it's time for us to say goodnight, so goodnight. Prefects please show the first years to the dormitories.”

Harry got up and walked towards a pair of fifth year prefects. A girl and a boy. The girl had long brown hair and blue eyes, the boy had dirty blond hair and brown eyes.

“Hello I am Penelope Clearwater and this is my fellow prefect Shawn McMillan. We will show you the quickest route to the common room and then show you to the dormitories.” She said before the prefects led them out of the Great Hall.

It was quite a ways to the Ravenclaw common room and Harry saw most of the other first years were breathing heavier than normal. They finally reached the portrait of a woman with long blue and bronze robes stood there looking out at them. She had long black hair and clear blue eyes. She was in a single word: beautiful. Harry knew right away who she was, Rowena Ravenclaw, his ancestor. She looked over the group of first years and her eyes finally landed on Harry. She smiled at him and gave him a little wink. Harry sent alittle smile back to her.

“Hello everyone I am Rowena Ravenclaw. Welcome to my house, I am happy as a portrait can be to have you in my house.” She said with a small giggle. “Password?”

Penelope Clearwater spoke up. “To get into the common rooms you must present a portrait with the correct password. The password to the common room this term is Haiku.”

The portrait opened allowing them all to file in. Just as Harry was walking past the portrait he heard her say, “Come and visit me sometime. I would like to know my heir.” Harry answered back an affirmative before continuing on. The common room was decked out in the house colors and had several fire places placed throughout the room, each with a comfortable couch and a couple of comfy chairs in front of them. There was an area off to the side with study tables with plenty of lighting. The walls had book cases stacked from bottom to ceiling with books; there was revolving latter's to reach the top shelves.

“This is the Ravenclaw Common room. It is a great place to relax and to study from. The side of the room has apermanent silencing charm on it so people who are just sitting around won't disturb those studying. The book cases off to the side are filled with books written by previous students of Ravenclaw and we have some on just about every subject taught at Hogwarts and some that aren't. If you will follow one of us to your dorms. Boys are on the left and girls on the right. Boys are not allowed into the girls dorms and if a boy tries to go up the stairs an alarm will sound and the stairs will collapse into a slide.”

Harry followed the male prefect up to the first year dorm room. There was five beds inside of the room. Harry picked the one without a trunk at the end, figuring it was his.

“Each of the beds in the dorm have an adjustable heating and cooling charms on them so you will be comfortable. Iguess I will leave you guys to it. Good luck.” McMillan said.

Harry climbed into his bed, adjusting his cooling charm till he was comfortable. He didn't really feel like talking to his dorm room mates and was soon asleep.

A/N: Harry has finally made it to Hogwarts and been sorted into his house. As you will notice I switched around some of the people's sorting's and threw in some Ocs of my own. I wrote my own sorting song so please tell me what you thought of it. I was going to have the Ravenclaw portrait ask a riddle but I couldn't really think of a good one. I think I almost went with 'If it's 2 am in New York, what is the time in Iowa?', I didn't think anyone would really get that one. It's bad enough that even some people in the United States don't even know that Iowa exists. I have seriously had to tell someone that Iowa is a start before. It's not a part of aterritory anymore people. I mean how can someone not know about Iowa, we are known mostly for three reasons black and white cows, pigs, and fields and fields of corn. I mean most of Iowa is just one big corn field with some roads in it.

Oh yes we have our own state fair as well, with life size butter carvings. Don't ask. I'm not getting my chapters out as fast as I want to unfortunately but I am working on some other projects as well; plus I just got internet again today. Let me tell you my mailbox was full of messages like 300, for a couple of weeks. Damn junk mail.

I don't really plan on anyone finding out that Harry is the heir of Slytherin at any time really within the first few years at least. Harry speaking to snakes can be explained away with beast-speaking. Let me explain a bit about the beast-speaking as well. Harry had the gift when he was born but it was recessive, it got activated when he was hit with the killing curse. I couldn't really remember if I mentioned that to anybody, so I am getting it out there. Someone might however find out that he is the heir of Ravenclaw. I think it might just be better for him to save this information for later and use it to his advantage when he finally comes out about it.

Little Michelle and Harry will be friends. There is areason she is small and skitish and it will enrage Harry; and an enraged and very powerful Shadowmancer is not someone most people want to mess with. Her problems will also bring them closer together as friends. I guess this is all for now. Enjoy and please review and tell me how you did/or didn't like it, either one. I think there's always room for improvement in writing.

Isebas
Sign up to rate and review this story