Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Power

chapter 2

by DarthBill 8 reviews

chapter 2

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Harry - Published: 2006-02-07 - Updated: 2006-02-07 - 2248 words - Complete

5Original
Author's notes: Yeah, I split the chapter. It fits better this way.

Disclaimer: The story belongs to Rowling. I just borrowed.

Chapter 2

On September first, his family drove him to Kings Cross and left him there. When he looked for platform 9 3/4, he was not surprised to not find it. How ever, the barrier between platforms nine and ten practically shone with magic, much like the barrier into Diagon Alley. However, unlike Diagon Alley, the Magic also made the wall, slightly transparent. Not enough to see the other side, just enough to let you know there was another side. Walking up to it, Harry tried to touch it. When his hand passed through, he walked right through. Taking only a moment to gaze at the red train, he helped him self to a compartment in the middle of the train. The one he chose had a girl with bushy hair that seemed to be slightly older, but probably in his year.

"Hi, I'm Harry. "

"Hello. My name is Hermione." 'She sounds like she's surprised I'm talking to her. Must not have had many friends in grade school.'

"Can I sit here?" asked Harry, taking the seat across from here.

"Oh, sure. I don't mind."

"So, what house do you think you'll be in?" 'Yeah, that sounds like a good conversation starter.'

"Well, I've been reading, and Gryffindor sounds like the best by far. I read that that was the one Professor Dumbledore was in. Though, I don't suppose that Ravenclaw would be too bad."

I sounded like she was going to keep going, but Harry cut her off. "So, you are muggleborn?"

She eyed him, as though trying to see if he had a problem with that. "Yeah, so?"

Harry smiled. "Cool. I was raised by muggles, myself. I'm kind of glad not to be the only one who has to read and ask questions to know what anyone is talking about."

She smiled brightly at him. "I know! That's exactly how I feel. I've already applied all my school books to memory, and I've read lots of background books on wizarding history. What books did you read?"

"Well, I learned the school books, too. I also read a bunch of other books on magical theory and application. I'm not too interested in history, myself, but I like the idea of making things happen."

"Yeah, I've tried a few spells, and they've all worked. How about you?"

"Well, I was told that we aren't supposed to do magic outside of school so I didn't try, but I think I could now." And with that he pulled out his wand and concentrated. He had been getting a bit warm, and so he cast a cooling charm on the compartment.

"Hey, now it's cold," she scowled. Harry just smiled and pulled a cloak out of his trunk. He gave it to her and she smiled.

"So, tell me something about yourself."

"Well, I'm Hermione Granger. I suppose I'm a bit of an over achiever. My parents are both dentists. Now you."

"Well, I'm Harry Potter. I-"

"Wait, you're Harry Potter!"

"Yeah. I was hoping you wouldn't have heard of me. I guess you read about me somewhere?"

"Yeah. You were in Modern Wizarding History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century."

"Was I really?"

"You mean you don't know? I would have found out everything if it was me."

"Well, like I said. I'm not interested in history. I know enough about my special history from Hagrid. He's the gamekeeper at Hogwarts. He came to bring me my letter and take me to Diagon Alley on my birthday. He had to deliver the letter because my aunt and uncle were trying to keep the letters from me. They had known all my life that I was a wizard, but they hid it from me, saying that my parents died in a car crash. That still pisses me off."

"Language. And why would they do that?" He thought it was amusing that she corrected him and switched to concerned so quickly.

"Well, my uncle has always hated anything that disrupts his idea of what is normal. Therefor, I, being the embodiment of magic, and thus abnormality, was completely unwelcome in his house. I think my aunt had a little of that as well, but also, she had been jealous of my mother (her sister) for being born 'special' and stealing her parents affection. She transferred that distaste onto me."

"Wow, that's terrible."

"Nah, it wasn't so bad the last year. I have been a bit under the weather for a year. Strangely, I got better just as I started getting the letters."

"What were you sick with."

"I'm not sure. I was just tired all the time. No energy. Tell me something. Does magic make you kind of hyper?"

"What, you mean do I get excited at the prospect?"

"No, I mean does being around magic give you energy?"

"Not that I've noticed."

"How did you feel after going to Diagon Alley."

"Well, it had been a long, emotional day. I was tired."

"Hmm." Harry supposed it was just him, then. Why does magic make him feel better?

"What?"

"Well, when I got back, I had more energy than I had had all year. And I hadn't slept for fourty-eight hours. I think, somehow, that I can sustain myself with magic. I haven't read anything like it, but I believe that is what was keeping me sick. The complete absence of magic in my life."

"Maybe you should ask around at Hogwarts?"

Harry smiled at her. "I'd rather not. Most likely, everyone will be staring at me enough, with out adding the freaky magic eater into the factor."

That made her laugh. "Oh, it won't be that bad." Harry raised an eyebrow.

"Hey, why is there a frog in our compartment?"

"That's a toad. It must be someone's pet. We should keep it for them."

"Hagrid says toads are 'uncool' nowadays."

"But if the Great Boy-Who-Lived has one, everyone will want one." 'Oh, aren't you clever.'

"Well, in any case, I would not want to mar my brilliant good looks with warts," Harry said, trying his best to look like Malfoy from Madam Malkins.

Hermione was giggling openly now. She picked up the toad and held it for about ten seconds until a round boy knocked and came in looking like he had been crying. "Has either of you seen...Trevor!" Hermione handed him the toad, smiling kindly at the boy. "Oh, thank you. I'm Neville, by the way, Longbottom."

"Hermione Granger."

"Harry Potter." Harry winced.

Neville jumped and did a double take to his scar. "Oh, I'm sorry for just barging in here on you. I didn't mean to." He probably would have gone on jibbering apologies.

"Calm down. It's cool. Don't worry so much."

"Sorry." And he left.

"Told you it'd be bad." She just laughed at him.

They talked amiably for a while. When the trolley came around, they got some of everything. Neither had much of a sweet tooth, but both were insanely curious about the different kinds of candy.

A little while later, their door opened again, this time admitting Draco Malfoy. "The word is Harry Potter is in this compartment."

"Yes, we met already Draco."

"Wait, so you really are him. I thought you were just making that up."

"Why?"

"You didn't answer me when I asked you." He had a look like he expected everyone to answer when he speaks. 'Ponce.'

"Yeah...well, I am, in fact, Harry Potter. And this is Hermione Granger."

Hermione stood up. "Pleased to meet you."

Malfoy just raised an eyebrow to her. "I thought I told you that the only sort of wizard is a pureblood."

"Wow, you are a ponce, aren't you?" This only seemed to piss him off.

"You'll watch yourself."

"Why? You don't look like you could fight your way out of a paper bag, whether with magic or not. And your monkeys probably don't understand half of what we're saying." Harry was smirking as Malfoy's pink flush got a little darker. As Malfoy was struggling to draw his wand, Harry drew his own and cast the disarming charm. Malfoy's wand went one way and Malfoy went the other. Harry tossed the wand out the compartment and onto the pile of the other three boys. He then closed and locked the door.

"Thanks, but you didn't have to do that." Hermione seemed torn between being grateful and annoyed that he didn't let her defend herself.

"I know, but I've wanted to use that spell on him ever since I learnt it."

"You can't just go around hexing people," she scolded.

"Why?"

"How would you like it if they did it to you?"

"No one would dare hex the Great Harry Potter," Harry smirked at a disapproving Hermione. "Fine, I won't hex him, every time I see him. I will only do it if he sends one at me first."

"Well, alright. But no baiting him to make him try to hex you." Harry just smiled at her.

They talked peacefully until they got to Hogwarts. When they stepped off the train, Harry immediately heard Hagrid's voice yelling, "Firs' years, over here. All righ' there, Harry?" Harry wave.

As they were walking to the boats, Hermione leaned in and whispered, "That is a big man."

Harry chuckled. "Yeah, I think he must be part giant. I feel a lot of magic from him, and it feels different from any other wizard I've met."

They picked a boat with Neville and a red headed boy. He introduced himself as Ron Weasley, and as soon as he found out who Harry was, he fell out of the boat. Climbing back in, he asked if Harry remembered the attack.

"I remember a flash of green light and Voldemort laughing." When he said the name, both Ron and Neville fell out of the boat.

When they climbed back in, they said together, "You said the name!"

"Yeah, so?"

"Cricky, man. Aren't you scared?" asked Ron, slightly flabbergasted, slightly awed.

"Of what?" Harry knew that most of wizarding kind acted this way. He could barely get Hagrid to say the name once, and never after that. Harry thought it was stupid.

"Of You-Know-Who!"

"Are you asking if it scares me to say the name of a man who has not been seen in ten years, and is thought to be dead?"

"Well, yeah."

"No. I'm not."

At this, Hermione couldn't hold her laughs in any more. "Harry, quit teasing them. They were raised to be afraid of the name."

"Well, it's stupid."

By this time, everyone had gotten in a boat and Hagrid started them moving. As they turned a bend, they got their first sight of Hogwarts. As soon as it came into view, however, Harry got a sharp pain in his brain, that immediately spread to his whole body. It vanished as quickly as it came.

Hermione was the only one who noticed. She leaned over and asked if he was ok. "I'm fine. I think my body was just getting used to all the magic in the air." Ron and Neville were too engrossed in starring at Hogwarts to notice the conversation.

They docked and Hagrid left them with an incredibly stern looking woman. She lead them to a room and left them there, while she went to see if they others were ready. While all the students were talking about the sorting, Harry overheard Ron mention wrestling a troll. He burst out laughing.

"So what is it really?" Hermione asked, curiously.

"You just have to try on an old hat," Harry replied, trying to hold in the laughter. Hermione laughed too.

Finally, after an interview with some ghosts, they were led into the Great Hall. The ceiling was charmed to look like the outside sky, and everyone was in awe. The hat sang a funny little song, and the sorting began. Hermione, in accordance to her wishes, was put into Gryffindor. Surprisingly, so was Neville. Malfoy was put into Slytherin. 'Don't want to be in Slytherin.' Finally it was his turn.

Hmm. Difficult. Very Difficult. Very loyal. Plenty of courage, I see. An excellent mind, as well. And a literal thirst for power. Now that is interesting. But where to put you.

'Please not Slytherin.'

Not Slytherin, eh? You could be great you know, and Slytherin could help you on your way to greatness; no doubt about that. But no, you would be miserable sharing a dorm with that great ponce, I know. All right, better be

"GRYFFINDOR!"

Chuckling, Harry hurried over to sit with Hermione. The others were making a big deal about Harry. Especially a couple of twins that looked to be related to Ron, who was just sorted into Gryffindor.

"...Nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak." And with that, the feast appeared. Harry wasn't hungry, but he ate anyway, because it looked so good. Hermione was talking with another Weasley about classes and Harry was disappointed to hear that classes would be going so slowly. Eventually, the food disappeared and Dumbledore gave another speech. Then they followed Percy up to the dorms. When they got there, the other boys immediately fell asleep. Harry tried, but felt like he would need to be knocked unconscious to fall asleep. Eventually, he gave up and went down stairs to read.
Sign up to rate and review this story